Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
Having struggled with goggles over the years - not just with ski goggles but also off road racing goggles. No matter what I try or do, they still fog when coming to a stand still, let alone when entering a cafe / pub.

I have just had my eye check up & yet again my prescription has changed (wrong side of 40 so I am told !!) Little Angel Little Angel

Any way the optician suggested some prescription sun glasses with a difference, they are funky wrap around style but the prescription is a clip on seperate piece that sit behind the wrap around polycarbonate lenses - which allows you to change between dark to yellow to clear lenses easily but maintain your original prescription (my prescription is not straight forward).

The system looks great BUT the variety of 3 different types of lense may be restrictive for skiing - especially in low / flat light - nor is there any polerisation, would this be an issue when skiing ??
The benifit is that should my prescription change further in the future, you just change the prescription part (a bit like two monacles together - bi-onicle ?? that clip into the sun glasses just behind the lenses, you can also flip up the lenses so as to have a "normal"pair of glasses if required).

I have asked him if he can look further and see if any other make can offer polerised lenses or lenses more suitable to skiing ... I've had a quick look on the web but cannot see anything similar.
The optician pair that he showed me aren;t cheap but then neither are decent goggles and I have gone thro' a few pairs - they just seem to scratch easily and still fog regardless of what I treat them with, I have even resorted to removing the foam surround off goggles to aid air flow (although I may not be doing that right as nothing seems to work - I have found the same with motorcycle visors).

Do any snowheads out there have experience of similar systems and what do you think about polerised lenses ??

Thanks guys.
Noisey
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't see a reason for having polarised glasses - I never use them whilst skiing. I'd want to be reasonably sure that, if I fell hard, the glasses were not likely to break or cause injury.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
noisey, Have you tried Oakley "A" frames, splice or Crowbars- just the top end ranges: I've never had a problem with fogging and wear disposable contact lens when skiing. Skiing is always a hazard regarding scratched lenses, but with Oakleys, you at least have the option of replacing the lens if the mark is really bad. You haven't mentioned contacts, so I'm wondering if that's not possible. You've plenty of time to do some test runs before the seasons starts and it's amazingly liberating to ditch the specs!

FYI -I've made a quick counts when on a couple of courses - all serious skiiers and around 60% of every course wear Oakleys.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
noisey, the lenses don't necessarily need to be polarised to be beneficial for skiing, I've never used polarised lenses in any of my ski goggles and I've never had any problems seeing at all, so you don't need to worry too much about that part. Polarised lenses are available in ordinary ski goggles though at additional cost (usually).

The yellow insert you describe will be the one you want for flat/low light and the darker one on bright sunny days.

Has your Optometrist talked to you about contact lenses? Do they offer them at the practice you go to? I know you've said your prescription is not 'straightforward' but you'd be surprised what is available in soft lenses these days even in less straightforward prescriptions. If you are suitable then you could wear them just for skiing saving you all this hassle with the prescription goggles for one thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smith goggles are very good as well, I've never had any fogging with mine. I have tried Oakleys but even the A-Frames are a bit too big for my face/the frame is too deep, the Smiths were a much better fit, for me anyway.

Another benefit with contact lenses, if you can have them, is the fact you have the freedom to choose any goggle you want from the marketplace.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
By the way, taking the foam off goggles is not going to do you any good, it's on there for a reason.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 13-08-11 23:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
noisey, You have several options, contacts (which I use which goggles on 'fogging-up' days), prescription sunglasses (which I use on sunny days), a system like the one you describe, goggles with prescription inserts (which many on SH's seem to use), helmets with visors over standard glasses (which I think sounds an ideal scenario), or the ultimate - get your eyes lasered!. All systems seem to have pros and cons, for example if you go with prescription sunnies you then have to take clear lenses into the restaurants to read the menu or sit there looking like a dork in your sunnies Laughing . However, I've seen lots and lots posted about all these options, and it really might be 20 mins well spent to shake up the search function and see if you can find some relevant threads to read through. In any event I'd be interested in a link to the system that you describe if you can find one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been using the Addidas Elevation for about 8 weeks of skiing now; mine have a +1.5 insert. I also use them when cycling. Mine came with two sets of lenses, there are several other lens types available. They do steam up occasionally, such as on stopping, but they quickly clear with a bit of air movement. Sometimes I move them away from my face by a few mm to allow extra air flow. I do not recall ever changing lenses while away from home or my holiday accommodation. I also take a pair of proper glasses when skiing or cycling, in case I need to do any indoor or close-up viewing.

I have seen some adverts for "stick on lenses" that can be stuck to the inside of goggles. There are several references to them in scuba diving websites. Try Googling for "stick on prescription lenses". Has any other Snowhead any experience with the stick on lenses? My concern is that the prescription part will cover just a small part of the goggle's lens.

noisey, there are several other threads on this topic here on Snowheads; try searching for "prescription", "prescription goggles" and "prescription glasses".
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi
i had the same problem for years and was getting prettty fed up!

I bought some prescription wrap-around sunglasses last season, and i wish had bought them years ago! my OH has contacts so uses goggles but i've never been able to get on with contacts...
I bought polarised lenses with slight yellow tint, that way they were good for poor visibility conditions as well as sun protection from uv rays, i got them on one of those 'buy on pair get one free' so it wasnt too hefty on the cost! can't remember what the benefit of the polarised bit was but hey, never had a problem yet!!
i used to have kinda 'clip on' bits but they just steamed up between the lenses and i had to keep changing them, i then tried 'over-the-glasses-goggles' but unless you have small-framed glasses i found they sorta pulled my glasses too close to my face and it became uncomfortable, and, again they had a habit of steaming up!

personally prescription sunglasses were one of the best investments i've made in years!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cbowls30, how much did your prescription sunglasses cost you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, Mine cost nothing - most opticians like Boots do a 2 pairs for the price of one - I just made my second pair the darkest tint they did.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, cbowls30 bought polarised lenses though which usually costs extra. The 2 for 1 offers usually cover a pair of single vision ordinary spectacles plus a second pair made into sunglasses which you can have tinted to whatever depth like you did.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
noisey, I've tried these:

http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk/r/1/s/skiing/search.asp

If you get the inserts done at

http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk/r/1/s/skiing/search.asp

a pair won't cost the earth. I've used them for a couple of season quite happily.

However, I've now moved on to contacts for both skiing and shooting, which I much prefer now that I can get them in without taking half an hour over it !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deerman,
Quote:

which I much prefer now that I can get them in without taking half an hour over it !
Haha, funny you should say that, I've been wearing soft, disposable lenses for the last few months, after a lifetime of wearing rigid contact lenses. I imagine you too are talking about soft lenses, and whilst it doesn't exactly take me half an hour, I do find the way they wrap themselves randomly around one's fingers very disconcerting! Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deerman, Pedantica, I've worn soft contact lenses since I was 15, so almost 20 years now and I couldn't imagine life without them. I certainly wouldn't want to faff around with prescription sunglasses when skiing and having to take my regular glasses with me to put on in restaurants etc, but then I am a high myope (-7.25DS both eyes) so I couldn't manage sufficiently without any glasses on at all. If I crashed and lost some prescription sunglasses in snow then there's no way I'd be able to see to find them so I'd then have to get my glasses out of my rucksack/what if I broke them blah blah! I don't like the idea at all of not being able to see clearly if my sunglasses fell off but that's my own personal view, I feel my lenses give me much more 'security'. Some people who may have a low prescription may feel differently about that though if they can see ok-ish without them on.

Pedantica, I have had silicone hydrogel contact lenses (dailies) a while now instead of conventional hydrogel lenses and one thing I noticed about them during insertion and removal is they are much less floppy on your finger than my previous dailies.

Are yours silicone hydrogel or conventional hydrogel do you know?

Mind you, even the conventional hydrogel lenses will feel a lot more floppy than your RGPs ever would have done, naturally. Out of interest, why have you recently changed to soft?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 14-08-11 17:16; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Quote:

However, I've now moved on to contacts for both skiing and shooting, which I much prefer now that I can get them in without taking half an hour over it !

Well done for endeavouring with them. It took me a little bit of time to start with but in the majority of cases, motivation is key to success. And, a good patient 'teach' by the person showing you how to do it when you go to the Optometrists initially to try them out.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

Are yours silicone hydrogel or conventional hydrogel
No idea, doesn't seem to say on the label. They're Acuvue Moist with Lacreon, for astigmatism.
I developed a slight intolerance to rigid ones, not altogether surprising after 49 years of continuous wear, although I've always worn specs from time to time eg in the evenings, at weekends etc. But, as of next Thursday, no distance correction will be required. Yayyy!
snow conditions
Pedantica, it wouldn't usually be on the label, so that's ok, I just wondered whether your Optometrist might have mentioned if it was one or the other. Doesn't really matter anyway if you are having your eyes corrected by laser next week!
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, not laser, but IOL.
ski holidays
Pedantica, ah ok.
latest report
It's OK have goggled IOL and can see what they are: looks interesting as I was turned down for laser surgery due to pressure concerned as my retinas aren't apparently attached as robustly as they would like to risk laser surgery. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
IOL - I've Googled too...............it sounds another of those wince worthy procedures that I don't think I would be able to bring myself to undergo. Pedantica, hope it works out OK for you. Very Happy
latest report
Megamum, it's a doddle, takes precisely 10 minutes, no pain, just a modicum of discomfort. Terrible thread drift, though. wink
snow report
noisey, I've had a load of different prescription sunnies over the years, mainly Oakley wraparounds, Eyejackets and Twenties and the like with either Oakleys own RX lenses or other third party lenses. I only went for one colour, an amber type tone which works ok throughout the light range. Simple, robust comfortable, light and fog free..... Unfortunately (fortunately? Laughing ) i now snowboard so have to wear goggles - so I use daily disposable contacts and goggles, which works really well too.
ski holidays
Jivebaby wrote:
It's OK have goggled IOL and can see what they are: looks interesting as I was turned down for laser surgery due to pressure concerned as my retinas aren't apparently attached as robustly as they would like to risk laser surgery. Crying or Very sad

You got the right advice then.
snow report
I use Adidas Elevation with an insert for touring - the black/gold ones come with a cat 4 lens and an orange, which covers all bases. They don't fog going uphill and vent really well on the down. I'm pretty pleased with them. The flipside is that they cost near on £200 but prescription cat 4s are not easy to come by if you have an awkward prescription.
latest report
Get zapped.

Prescription glasses or inserts always look tragic.
snow report
Pedantica, Maybe I'll chat to you about it one day Cool I hate wearing specs, but don't like the idea of getting my eyes lasered. Yup, dreadful thread drift - naughty me, apologies to the OP.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5,

i got them on 2-4-1 deal in specsavers last year, so got two pairs, i think it came to around £150 for both pairs, i needed new glasses anyway and they have easily paid thier worth, i've used them loads and not just for skiing.......
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, In my experience they have always matched the prescription of my main set as part of the 241 deal - so when I've needed complex lenses correct for my astigmatism these have been part of the offer. You generally can't have the ultrathin ones, but they seem to make up any prescription as standard depth lenses with a variety of coatings and I bet if I wanted polarised ones I wouldn't have to pay too much extra to get this (if any).
snow report
Whitegold, idiotic remark
snow report
Megamum, yes of course they will match the prescription in both pairs as part of the 2 for 1 deal, they can't send you away with one pair with the correct prescription and one without. Single vision lenses (with or without cylinders to correct for astigmatism) are available on the offers but polarised lenses are something different again, not normally present in a regular pair of glasses. That isn't part of your spectacle prescription, it is a request as is the case with certain coatings. Polarised lenses always cost more, for example, Specsavers charge £60 currently for polarised lenses and they are usually the cheapest so I'd imagine the others to be about the same or more.

When sunglasses are made up, all that happens is the lenses (identical to the prescribed ones for the regular spectacles) are dipped in some dye of a certain colour dependent on requirements for however long to get the required tint and level of tint. I know this because I've personally done it in an optical lab.
latest report
cbowls30, did you select polarised lenses for your ordinary pair of glasses as well, or did you just have that on the pair of sunglasses?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 14-08-11 21:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I see Vision Express currently charge an additional £99 for polarised lenses, plus the cost of the frame.
snow conditions
I like polarised lenses - I've had them as standard sunglasses when I was allowed to wear contacts regularly years ago, but I've never tried them in the snow, I've often wondered if they would provide superior performance over non-polarised lenses or not. VolklAttivaS5, when they polarise a set a lenses is it just another coating or is the actual material comprising the lens different all the way through in some way?
ski holidays
Megamum, yes you can get them easily as standard sunglasses without a prescription in the lenses although typically they too cost more, for example a pair of Oakley Straight Jacket (non-prescription) sunglasses in Polished Black with Black Iridium lenses might cost £100 whereas a pair of Oakley Straight Jacket (again non-prescription) sunglasses in Polished Black but with Polarised Black Iridium lenses might cost £135, you're paying extra for the polarised lenses when everything else is identical in every way.

To answer your question, as far as I know it isn't a coating, but the polarising filter is actually laminated into the lens hence the increased cost compared to other 'treatments'.

I haven't personally tried polarised sunglasses whilst skiing as I've always found my non-polarised, non-prescription Oakleys (or Smiths) sufficient for my requirements but they are meant to significantly reduce glare. I do know others though that have felt the benefits of wearing a polarised pair.
latest report
Polarised sunglasses aren't much, if any advantage in snow skiing.. they simply reduce glare from water and other 'shiny' surfaces. Driving water-ski boats, for example, they're absolutely essential.
snow report
allanm, yes I'd imagine that for water sports and fishing they are superb and worth having. The person I know who has a pair uses hers for driving (she doesn't ski anyway) because she tells me she is particularly susceptible to glare. I don't think I know anyone personally who has a pair for skiing, as I said I've always got on well with my ordinary sunglasses/goggles without feeling the need to pay the extra for polarised lenses as well.

Different strokes for different folks though.
ski holidays
It is in viewing water that I recall my polarised sunglasses being very noticable in their abilty to take away the glare from the water. In driving they were very good too esp. when you get those very sunny conditions immediately following a rain storm and all that light bouncing off the wet surfaces. VolklAttivaS5, Interesting, I thought it must be fixed to the surface in someway because if memory serves it's a fine one way mesh like effect isn't it? Designed to only let light from one angle (vertical or horizontal only) pass through. (Mind you it's a long time since I did physics at school!)
snow report
Megamum, yes, my friend has been wearing hers a lot lately because it's been rain, then shine, then a bit more sporadic rain so the road surfaces have been wet or not quite dry. Yes a polarising filter only lets light waves through of particular orientation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy