Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long run burn - how to minimise

Poster: A snowHead
To stave of the burn, I work upto 200 leg lifts with a 4 lb weight per day.... So my thighs legs are strong the 1st day. That coupled with a cardoiV excercise like cycling hard or running should be enough to get you thru a good ski hol'....

I always find a long run that gets the thighs burning on the 1 st day gets oxygen pumping around the legs and sets up the rest of the trip..... Its kind of like a second wind..!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't frequent a gym anymore. I MTB/run/blade but otherwise all I do are regular press-ups (which seem to also help abs more if you don't hold your breath), irregular sit-ups, squats from about a month before I go skiing. I hardly ever get thigh burn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last time I went skiing one of my (male) friends was taking creatine. He had been going to the gym fairly frequently but I'd say his fitness level was still moderate / good as opposed to exceptional. He got absolutely no aches and pains at all. Apparently creatine helps muscles repair more quickly. Not that I would want to take it though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, I would agree that it helps muscle speed repairs, but it can add too much bulk to the belly of a muscle IMO, the risk there is to origin and insertion points. In gym situations, it means that you can work the same muscle groups without a recovery day for healing/less fatigue. Mind the dehydration wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny,

What are origin and insertion points?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, Sorry, where a muscle starts and ends. The stringy attachment bits that can tear and detach if put under too much strain. Body builders use Creatine Monohydrate, or eat lots (and lots) of meat Skullie
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny,

Yes that's what he's doing, but purely for vanity. He's currently in the "cutting" phase of his regime which means lots of CV work and a very strict diet that doesn't sound too healthy at all!

Our secretary is also into the whole bodubuilding thing, but she's competing. She doesn't look like one of those horrible bulky women though, apparently the class she enters demands a "womanly" physique. She's also on the strict diet - she eats 6 times a day - oats, sweet potato, chicken and lots of green vegtables and that's about it. Plus lots of disgusting protein drinks. She can't even have fruit as it contains too much sugar. She also goes to the gym twice a day, everyday. Seems a bit extreme to me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, Can be a strain on the heart for the fellas. The secretary will probably survive, unless she catches a cold wink I use a soya protein drink if I have a weights session in the gym. For me it cuts down aches and pains the next day wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny,

Why would it be a strain on the heart for him but not for the secretary?

She does seem to catch more colds than normal which stops her going to the gym for a few days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have aches and pains shouldn't you be listening to what your body is saying.....???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, Typically(not exclusively) the blokes use, the women don't as they want to achieve a different shape. When the blokes bulk up it can enlarge the heart, then when they "cut" the heart is no longer used to a lot of CV work, together with limited calorie intake= potential for disaster. Saw one previously sensible guy admitted to hospital last year as his body had begun to consume his liver as food. He was a competetive body builder, out to win using a lot of directly injected steroids. He survived, went a bit yellow in the process.
JT, I use a soya protein as for me it gets protein quickly into my system, for repair! Ageing body, tried lots of methods including Creatine, all legal Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

his body had begun to consume his liver as food

Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, That was what I was told. He had "cut" too much too quickly in order to be competetive at the British Championships, only his 2nd comp. He collapsed, liver packing up, ended up, 2 weeks in hosp, saw him after he was discharged-somewhat yellow in hue. I did'nt mention to him that I had thought that the yellow was the fake tan wearing off wink Of course, what the steroid injections did to his body and mind is entirely another matter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Amazed at the path this has taken. A mention of a visit to lift some weights and next thing its steroid horror stories. A world of difference between sport orientated training and competitive bodybuilding.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2plank, There is some overlap between the (sports?), where recovery needs to be quick. Supplemental food/drinks are everywhere, but I imagine, that as most skiers/boarders don't want to bulk up, there should be no health issues to concern us.
ski holidays
snowbunny,

What is the soya protein you use?
snow report
Again the gap between bulking up as you put it and a diet to match the training is quite different too. The training is only as good as the diet supporting it.

The only thing I see in common between skiing prep and an orange man in trunks on a stage is a gym and and bar with weights on.
latest report
beanie1, It's a soya protein powder, 90%. It's low in calories/carbohydrate, high in iron/folic acid. Any health food shop will sell them. Or I could just eat a steak for lunch wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, not to my knowledge a physiological phenomenon. Sounds good though, so I'm going to start using it. wink
snow report
Steak for lunch, my kind of training. Obviously needs to be helped down with a high carb sports drink - Greene King IPA my personal favouritein warmer weather.
latest report
slikedges, Could you expand on your post please. Are you suggesting that Soya has no protein?
snow report
snowbunny, So wot if I woz?! Twisted Evil wink

No, scroll up, that I like the phrase "his body had begun to consume his liver", it's one of those phrases that conjures up great imagery, like "it was so tough he was pissing blood by the end of it".
latest report
slikedges, If you want names/places/hosp etc, PM me. He was quite poorly, and it was all his own doing. Glad we can agree that Soya has a protein value of around 20gr per 100gr Cool
snow report
snowbunny, I don't think I have the stomach for it - neither your unfortunate poorly friend who I hope is ok now, nor soya (yeucchhk).
snow conditions
slikedges, Just to clarify, he was'nt (isn't)a friend, he was on the management team of my local gym. The chemicals made him pretty stroppy, so he was out of the door!. And my Soya protein is vanilla flavoured and mixes well with fruit juice, milk anything really, it's fairly neutral in flavour and kind to the stomach Very Happy
snow report
snowbunny, does it taste anything like soya milk?
ski holidays
I only use soya milk and soya butter now. Swapped as my boyfriend is lactose intolerant and I actually prefer it.
ski holidays
doogo,

don't think anyone's mentioned it but it's very easy to sub-consciously tense your muscles up. If you do this, try to relax the muscles, especially as you flex down towards finish of turn (trying to carve all your turns doesn't help either).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT your weights help, but skiing is not a static sport - your muscles need to learn to cope with constant unbalancedness.
slikedges your press ups are useful but it's the legs and abdominals that take brunt of the effort during skiing.

Weights and body weight exercises such as pressups are ok as far as they go, but they need to supplimenting your dynamic strengthening workout, not replacing it.

If there's only one exercise you "should" be doing for skiing then it's jump squats (bend knees, reach to floor, then push off straight up with thighs). It's the exercise that is the closest to the skiing action, and hence the most useful.

Have fun!
latest report
There is no doubt that a better standard of fitness will assist, but stance is still important. Very early on in my skiing, someone said you should ensure you "stack your bones" so that your skeleton, as opposed to your muscles, carries as much as it can of your weight, the most obvious fault being leaning back so the skeleton is out of alignment which means the muscles (especially the quads) have to compensate, hence the burn.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I am totally with richmond, on this one. If no bar available the proceed to the edge of the run and pop off your skis. Have a little stretch off and a drink from the hip flask.

LOL, are we related? Laughing
latest report
Manda wrote:
JT your weights help, but skiing is not a static sport - your muscles need to learn to cope with constant unbalancedness.
slikedges your press ups are useful but it's the legs and abdominals that take brunt of the effort during skiing.

Weights and body weight exercises such as pressups are ok as far as they go, but they need to supplimenting your dynamic strengthening workout, not replacing it.

If there's only one exercise you "should" be doing for skiing then it's jump squats (bend knees, reach to floor, then push off straight up with thighs). It's the exercise that is the closest to the skiing action, and hence the most useful.

Have fun!

yup.. weights, especially the machine weights are pretty much 'straight line' exercises.. free weights are better as you have to compensate for movement in all directions rather than just against the resistance..
much like running on a treadmill is good training, but cross country is much better, sure u can change pace an go up hill, but there is no where near the range of movement you get hitting the hills..

if the gym fits your lifestyle great, its all good, but try to avoid the , im doing X miles on the treadmill and Xweights 3 times a week, try to mix it up as much as poss.. ..
if your going for a run, rather than bang out 5 miles do 3, but jog a lampost then sprint one.. you will be amazed how much the change of pace hurts.. thats the kind of thing you want to train for.. stamina but with the abilty to go fast then recover.. i always like to play some footy before i go.. despite being total cr.p!
snow conditions
I'm suprised no-one has mentioned the downhill bit of skiing. Mimic it by running downhill, bounding from foot to foot landing just more than shoulder width apart (OK its looks a bit odd, but early am or after dark who wil see you?) and then jog back up. I know its not practical in the Fens, but most places have some sort of incline. Its the eccentric loading of your muscles that gives training.
It mimics thigh burn pretty well, and you can monitor your own improvement. Don't go at it too hard though or you will have aching legs for days.
ski holidays
Some very interesting stuff in this thread.

When you get ancient like me , but know that you have to get some fitness into your body before skiing - a couple of trips a week to the gym help ( at least mentally!) . However there are a few issues.

Firstly you are also trying to lose weight at the same time but traditional logic says that you need to eat protein - can meats be replaced by creatine and/or soya stuff , which is the best?

Secondly gym instructors suggest 'days off' to rest the muscles following the inevitable build-up of 'lactic acid' or whatever it is called but occasionally schedules mean that you can only train 2 consecutive days - is there a [legal} supplement which promotes muscle recovery as suggested for creatine above?

CANV CANVINGTON,While dynamic sports and running may be very CV-efficient - you may realise when you get (very, very, very) older and your knee ligaments would be strengthened by replacement with elastic bands that non-impact activities ( cycling , gym etc) are a superb way of getting a little fitter without rsulting in (more) knee operations wink
snow report
eEvans,

With regards to training on consectutive days - train different muscle groups each day, eg. legs day 1, upper body day 2.
latest report
eEvans, I am currently spending a lot of time in the gym, simply because I have had a pig of a year and have a lot of muscle wastage. I also now have had confirmed a displaced a/c joint, so extra excercises to build the muscle to support it. wink
For me there are lots of consecutive days of training, typically 2hrs 30m per session. CV/Machines/Freeweights/Swiss Ball. I'm using Soya Protein to beat muscle fatigue. I used Creatine Monohydrate many years ago to build muscle up, and I would urge you to google the side effects before buying any.I agree with beanie1, totally about switching session targets and dividing your training up.
latest report
beanie1, snowbunny, Thanks very much for that - I do tend to do very, very little so when I go I was hoping to do as much as possible ( no lectures required) - so attempt to do as much as poss and avoid 'focus' nights.

snowbunny, 2 1/2 hours ! That's enough for a season.

Sympathise with AC joints - I used to think dislocations were a joke when I was young - I know have apparently loads of bone 'growths' in my right shoulder which are rather painful - I've been informed that probably some of the "dislocations" may have been hairline fractures. Oh the idiocy of youth - but I'd do it all again tomorrow.

So now I have to find this soya muck ..
snow report
eEvans, Re: Soya. There are lots of protein supplements, I'm lactose intolerant, so it's an easy option for me because many of the proprietary brands use milk proteins as a base wink You should have far more to choose from, assuming you are free from food allergy/intolerances Very Happy
ski holidays
snowbunny,
Food Allergies - Only Pistaccio nuts
Intolerances - Thousands , and a new one evry day ! ( It's an age thing!)
ski holidays
eEvans,
Quote:

Intolerances - Thousands , and a new one evry day ! ( It's an age thing!)

Could be the Soya for you then Very Happy Good Luck
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy