Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long run burn - how to minimise

Poster: A snowHead
At this early stage in the year, what are the tips (technique, fitness, guts etc. all welcome) for countering the burn in the thighs that comes on during a long continuous run down the slopes
... now i know we're going to talk about both technique and fitness - especially fitness but given that there are a goodly number of months before the burn season comes around, any good advice would be appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Squats with weights.
Sitting against a wall (if you've got a bosu ball, then put that between you and the wall, and use it to go down until your thighs are horizontal, hold that for a minute, then stand up for ten seconds, and repeat. To make the exercise work you harder, do it while holding a 5-10kg medicine ball.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I noticed a huge difference in stamina (while skiing) after changing job locations and adding a 35 min brisk walk twice a day into my routine. And a chum walks her dogs at speed for 2 hours a day - and I've wathched her top-to-bottom the Swiss wall 8 times consecutively. I don't think I can do it once.

A PT once had me incorporating squat jumps with weights in hand too, descending reps of 25, 20, 15 and similar exercises.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The most reliable and easiest way to avoid burn on long runs is to stop in bars en route. Works for me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obviously exercise will help with this but as doogo says it's only part of the story. I used to suffer from thigh burn quite badly but it's been nowhere near as bad in the past couple of seasons. I can only put this down to an improvement in my technique, presumably in my stance. I've been focusing a fair bit on this and I think that I'm more upright and slightly further forward and am putting much less stress on my thighs. Seems to be working for me.

I always intend to do more fitness training and for many years I thought this was holding me back (particularly in bumps). However, now I worry less about this and just try to ensure that I'm not a complete coach potato before the season starts. As long as I do a minimal amount I tend to be OK (I walk a fair bit anyway).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am totally with richmond, on this one. If no bar available the proceed to the edge of the run and pop off your skis. Have a little stretch off and a drink from the hip flask.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
doogo, Spinning classes at least three times a week should minimise the burn but actually a bit of a burn means you are working hard - cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spinning classes? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, Frosty the Snowman, I favour the deckchair approach. If no nearby sun terrace, I will make for the nearest sunny rock to park up and enjoy the view with a snack and a drink Cool
alan empty, Spin bikes. Stationary cycling in a gym class, much harder than it sounds. Very energetic Expect to lose weight and get very hot and sticky:D
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weights with squats, varying from heavy low rep to mid weight high rep (50ish). Dont forget to work hamstrings as well with curls otherwise youll have thighs so string theyll pop your knee caps off.

Spinning would be a good idea, or running up hills. Standing jumps to improve explosive power too
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, no chance! That would involve going to a gym for the first time in my life (I'm assuming waiting in the bar doesn't count Very Happy ).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alan empty, So snowHead won't be seeing you in lycra cycling shorts anytime soon then Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maybe if everyone asks really nicely Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spinning is like cycling i think
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
crazy_skier_jules, yes, but without the scenery. Confused

doogo, go running. I've tried everything, weights, squats, cycling all that, but nothing has increased my fitness for skiing as much as running.

And if your technique gets better you just end up on harder terrain going faster so the burn will still be there.
ski holidays
Spinning is a sort of fartlek training on a static bike, often done in a group with Mr Motivator playing some trendy music.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

with Mr Motivator playing some trendy music.

Do you realise how much that statement "dates" you. There are snowHead who won't have heard of him, too young Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
snowbunny, yeah, I've never heard of him Laughing

I go to the gym and I try to use the machines specific to the muscles I will use when skiing - train the muscles up! (I'm still not fit though, but at least I'm not fat!)
Julia
snow conditions
crazy_skier_jules, well in that case you're doing better than me Laughing
ski holidays
snowbunny, I bet he looks rough now though (20 years on)
snow conditions
Mountain Bike. It's the only answer. Having said that, no matter how much I bike in summer I always end up walking around like a zombie after my first day on skis.
Spinning works too, but it's hard to get that perfect cocktail of endorphin and adrenalin when sitting indoors on a bike!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, And therefore you are also 20 years older and looking...... Laughing
snow report
marc gledhill, snowbunny, sorry, but that actually isn't the best method for countering the burn in the thighs. Cardiovascular (i.e. the lungs and heart) endurance is definately important for good skiing fitness, and a couple of spinning/running sessions each week is one of the ways of building up cardio endurance.

However to prepare the legs to counter the burn in the thighs while skiing, what's actually needed is good old-fashioned strength training of the legs. This not only helps the legs to maintain better posture (read: technique). It also trains the leg fibres to cope with the demands of the constant resistance work required for skiing (read: you can go longer/harder before the pain of weary legs kicks in). Unfortunately cardio alone doesn't produce anywhere near the same results.

In practice this means;

Resistance training
i.e. weights machines (quads, hamstrings, calves) and/or squats (freestanding, or with weights in hand, or against wall, as previously mentioned).

Also means dynamic strength training:
i.e. squat jumps/burpees/starjumps/wall jumps.

[edit - just noticed, zplank's already mentioned these exercises, sorry for the repetition!]

In effect you're looking for resistance exercises for the legs that closely mimic the same demands of your muscles as per skiing - and then do lots of reps of them at a manageable weight and speed.
snow report
Manda, Gosh, so my 2 hours in the gym x 4 times weekly may actually do me some good then Laughing
snow conditions
Manda, 2plank, basically what ye're suggesting, along with Mouth and his spinning, is a version of snowHeads Superstars - all i can ever think of when i hear the term squat jumps is of alan wells and brian jacks going at it like hammer and tongs with david vine going crazy as the commentator - well i think you've just named an event for the EOSB .....
ski holidays
doogo, Mouth is a girl
latest report
interesting detail ....Mouth, please accept my oversight (or rather, lack of insight - spinning classes for a bloke indeed!)
snow report
I used to get a reasonable amount of burning in my thighs but more than one instructor has said to me that it was because I was sitting back. Since I have stood taller, I don't get this burn any more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004 wrote:
I used to get a reasonable amount of burning in my thighs but more than one instructor has said to me that it was because I was sitting back. Since I have stood taller, I don't get this burn any more.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying in my post - I'm a little surprised that no-one else has found this. I would worry that concentrating too much on the physical side is compensating for technique issues, but I guess this will vary from person to person.
snow report
trained for an off-piste course in april - part of the asessment was fitness - found the best training to avoid burn (and burn-out) on descents and ascents was a combo of mountain biking, running and press-ups.

but the key thing I focussed on was running and cycling up hills - with steep sections: great for cardio and strength (and reduces work out time)

find press-ups all round great for core strength....+ can do them anywhere ;o)
snow conditions
Press ups great for skiing, if you use your hands that is.
ski holidays
I've just ordered a book called 'Ski-Fit' by Alex Stott. I'll let you know what's in it. I think I lack flexibilty. I walk (fast) for 1hr to 1hr and 1/2 every day, and I horse ride most days. Sometimes I get a bit achy and stiff, so I've tried doing more stretches etc.
snow report
I seriously concentrated on thigh muscle strengthening work with squats, leg extentions and leg curls (to balance the hamstring) as suggested by Manda and 2plank.

I started about 3 months before my holiday and the difference in my leg endurance was astounding compared to the previous year in which I only did cardio vascular work.
snow report
I go to a Body Balance Class - kind of like pilates and yoga and all that jazz. Anyway it involves LOTS of holding positions for ages and ages. Doesnt hurt nearly as much now as it did at the start, and its that same burning sensation in the thighs, so it must be strengthening!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, i used to go regularly to Pilates classes (2 or 3 times each week), but I don;t now, and I noticed that my skiing wasn't so goold alst year.
Looks like I should start up the classes again.
snow report
er 2 plank, you'd be surprised how good press-ups are for pre-ski training - especially top end stuff, bumps and steep short radius. Because it strengthens the core (abs, lower back etc) - which if strong - will help stop you getting pitched back onto the back-seat - which can lead to thigh burn in the compensation required to return to central position. Oh and yes I do ski with my hands as well - keeping them low in view - also stops this backwards pitching on the steep stuff...
latest report
dg3, not sure about press ups but sit ups definately help
snow report
May well be but only as a secondary to compound exercises involving the legs.

Get a bar with more than your body weight on your back and squat. Develops far more core strength. Press up holds with the forearms on the floor are good for core strength.
snow conditions
2plank wrote:
Press up holds with the forearms on the floor are good for core strength.

Try that on a balance ball, it's a pretty good exercise.
snow report
agreed 2 plank - mixing up the type of squat you do too is great and probably primary for thigh burn avoidance exercises - my pals and I do a bit of pre-season competition (usually after a few beers!) of how long can you hold the squat position (back against the wall) - brought a tear to my eye many a time snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy