Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French and Swiss Motorway Virgin ... :(

Poster: A snowHead
Driving to Saas Fee on Friday, Chunnel, Calais, Troyes, then into Suisse, Martigny etc
Am a bit of a laid back guy nromally so tend to just take things as they come

Someone suggested to me today that i might need to pay French motorway tolls and get a Swiss Vignette

Sorry for stupid question ..
Presumably on the French motorways we just hand over the credit card at the tolls - anyone any idea on the cost, or where i might look to find out ?
Also, is it true i can buy teh Swiss vignette in London before i go ?

Again, sorry for stupid / obvious questions

Steve
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sev112, Can't really be sure but you will need around 30euro each way in France and they do take credit cards at the pay booths. When you cross the France/Swiss border you can pull in to a lay-by and pay the nice Swiss man 40CHF for a little sticker that he will put on your window and which will allow you to travel on Swiss motorways. The Swiss vignette is non-transferable and non-refundable I understand but it lasts for one whole Swiss year. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112, You can get the Swiss vignette before you go by post, but probably best not to this late. It's not a problem as you will be sold one at the border for the same price. I think it's about 40CHF. French tolls can be paid by cc but someone will probably let you know the current costs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Steve,

You will need to pay tolls on the French motorways, you can use your credit card. Have a look at http://www.viamichelin.com/ for directions, it also gives you the cost of tolls on route although I don't know how accurate it is.
You can buy the Swiss vignette in advance from the Swiss travel centre http://www.stc.co.uk/ it costs £28.50. You can also usually buy them a bit cheaper on ebay or you can pay at the 'Douanes' post when you arrive in Switzerland, they are 40 Swiss Francs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can also get vignettes at service stations just before the border. I sometimes pick up my austria/switzerland ones at an ADAC store before I go. No idea is AA stores sell them?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all for a civilised response - must be the summer months calms everyone down here, as i was expecting a load of invective for not using eth search engine ( i did - it wasnt great Sad )

Been hiding out on a golf forum ; need to come back on here i think where teh nice people are Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sev112, at this stage if you work in London you might be able to pick up the Swiss Vignette before you go, I think the Swiss Travel Centre has offices in Covent Garden these days, 30 Bedford Street, 1st Floor, London WC2E 9ED. Phone : 0207 420 49 00 but I don't know if they can do you the vignette from there to pick up, if they can it will be £28.50 and will last until I think the End of Jan next year (Possible £3.50 booking fee) Otherwise you can obtain one at any of the motorway border crossings, there will be somewhere nearby, in fact chances are that the Customs people will check as you cross over and if you don't have one stuck to your windscreen they will sell you one, for 40 ChF, failure to actually stick it to the glass results in a fine, likewise driving without one on the motorways results in a 100 ChF fine, you must place it in certain locations http://www.autobahnen.ch/index.php?lg=001&page=014 will give you the info.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112, Was going to ask the same question myself this week Smile See you out there
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand, There is nowhere on my bike to stick it which is why I don't bother getting one Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I keep reading about these, but I've never seen one, and never been offered one at the borders at Vallorcine, Geneva (coming in from Annemasse) or somewhere on the S German border - the German one was the only time I have used Swiss motorways, so I guess I was legal the other times and lucky not to get caught that time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

you will need around 30euro each way in France

that's more than a tad optimistic! viaMichelin tells you it will be 73 euros one way Calais to Chamonix.

You don't, of course, have to pay any tolls at all - but it will take you a lot longer if you avoid the motorways.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

never been offered one at the borders at Vallorcine, Geneva (coming in from Annemasse)

you can buy them at all borders but they're not thrust down your throat unless you're already on the motorway (for example at Bernex between Annemasse and Geneva). There, it is often impossible to get through without buying one, though sometimes when the border is busy you just drive through. It's a fair old risk - the fine is large and the Swiss police will show zero flexibility/tolerance of foreigners pleading ignorance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Couple of lads taking a trip with u a few years ago rented a car as it was cheaper than Swiss Transfer ticket.

Cost of Swiss Transsfer ticket = 130 CHF

Their first speeding Fine = 450 CHF

Fine for not having Vignettes = 1,000 CHF

Second Speeding Fine = 550 CHF

Doh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dicks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sev112, we've done that route a couple of times and crossed between Pontarlier and Vallorbe at the border crossing near Creux , the border peeps are there with the stickers as you are then very close to the swiss motorway but there can be queues. Swiss Travel Centre are very, very speedy, everytime I have ordered vignettes or transfer tickets from them I have had them the next day. I would order it today then you're sorted. Have a good trip Very Happy
snow report
Fattes13, yep the Swiss police have no sense of humour at all, and I understand can fine you on the spot, the advice I received from Swiss friends was to make sure that when driving you obey all the rules, I've also heard of people being fined for walking across roads away from official crossing points.
ski holidays
pam w, well I did say I wasn't sure Toofy Grin

Scarpa, They'd put it on your visor if they coudl catch you Laughing
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
I've also heard of people being fined for walking across roads away from official crossing points.

Is that really true? If so how do you know where you can and cannot cross away from crossing points? (Presumably there are not crossing points on all roads in all places).
latest report
pam w wrote:
(for example at Bernex between Annemasse and Geneva). There, it is often impossible to get through without buying one, though sometimes when the border is busy you just drive through. It's a fair old risk - the fine is large and the Swiss police will show zero flexibility/tolerance of foreigners pleading ignorance.

Bardonnex, Bernex is a tiny little village miles away from any motorway, or a French ski area in the HS.

the fine is 100CHF, controls are rare but that is because no Suisse person would dream of avoiding the vignette.
latest report
sev112 wrote:
Presumably on the French motorways we just hand over the credit card at the tolls - anyone any idea on the cost, or where i might look to find out ?

You take a ticket on entering and pay on exit, generally (don't know how much of a 'virgin' you are, so this may be obvious!) At many (I hesitate to suggest most) toll barriers, you can pay simply by putting a credit card into a slot - no need to actually hand it to anyone. Just remember that the pay booth, or machine, will be on the passenger side (if driving a right hooker).
snow report
snowball, I'm not sure if the fine for crossing the road is true, but a friend of mine was stopped by Swiss Police when crossing a busy road not far from a pedestrian crossing, in his case he was given a good talking to and told not to do so again or he could be fined. Swiss tend not to lie about such things so I imagine if the police officer told him that he could be fined then it is a possibility.

I would imagine this was because a.) It was a fairly busy road and b.) My friend was within sight of a pedestrian crossing. I would assume that the argument was that by crossing such a busy road he was putting himself and others in danger when by walking 200M up the road he could have crossed at a much safer location, I don't suppose the police would have worried in a tiny village with quiet roads or in the middle of the country with no nearby crossing points.
snow report
Quote:

Bardonnex, Bernex is a tiny little village miles away from any motorway

yes, of course, slip of the pen. I have friends with a place in Bernex.

I'm all for pedestrians being made to obey some rules. We have a number of shared cycle and pedestrian paths round here. The pedestrians tend to straggle across the whole path, with dogs, pushchairs, meandering kids on scooters, etc etc. Then look at you askance when you try to squeeze past on a bike, having slowed down to snails pace to avoid them all. You can imagine the dirty looks if cyclists came at them 4 abreast. We have a pedestrian underpass under our main road through Emsworth but people are too bone bloody idle to use it, and still try to cross at the roundabout, making a busy junction even more hazardous. One elderly lady was knocked down there and killed a couple of years ago. You'd think it would have discouraged the others, but no. Twisted Evil

You can certainly get fined for jaywalking in the US.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Bardonnex, Bernex is a tiny little village miles away from any motorway

yes, of course, slip of the pen. I have friends with a place in Bernex.

I thought you'd bought one of those Chinese programmed GPS Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy