Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
ref double post, can't delete the second one, keep getting a browser bluescreen of death!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied with my friends again in Fieberbrunn yesterday, another day mostly cold and overcast but with occasional glimpses of sun.

This morning we abandoned our skis and tried snowshoes instead. It turned out to be a great morning for the hike, up to the Hochkogl. Sun on pretty fresh snow (3-5 cm had fallen overnight).

The uphill climb took us about an hour and was quite strenuous, so occasionally a rest was required.

However, we reached the Berggasthof Hochkogl -my "local"- successfully. Strengthened with a Kaiserschmarrn and refreshed we set off back down the hill. I had wondered whether the current depth of snow might be a problem but it was no trouble with the snowshoes. The only difficulty was when we had to cross roads, which was sometimes more like ski jumping.

My friends, both of whom had never been on snowshoes before, enjoyed the excursion very much. Especially coming downhill is a great laugh.

After that we still had time to buy two o'clock tickets for some more skiing in Fieberbrunn. We went right over to the Reckmoos Süd but didn't stay long there. It was noticably colder up there than back down on the Doischberg where we spent most of our time. The sun shone a little but usually with a halo of clouds, quite atmospheric. Here is a picture taken at the top of the Doischberg gondola.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A double story today, for I didn't get around to reporting on Saturday's skiing, though that was a special skiing day for me: my 50th skiing "birthday" - Glenshee, 11th February 1962, in torrential rain!

For the celebration my friends and I skied my local "private" ski area in Fieberbrunn - and the weather was better, cold but sunny. We skied the Weissach lifts or Rosenegg Abschlepper as they are also called. This is appropriately more skiing as it was 50 years ago, here only two T-bars and the pistes beside them (and fine powder areas alongside the pistes, though a bit rough at present). Even the tickets are a bit old-fashioned.

But the prices are nostalgic too, only €19 for a day ticket.

The photo below shows the piste alongside the lower of the two T-bars. The upper T-bar is longer and a little steeper.

We enjoyed a few hours on the slopes but could only stay till midday (before driving up to Munich for a concert in the evening: Munich Philharmonic with Kent Nagano conducting, playing Mahler's Symphony No. 6). However, we ate well at the Berggasthof Hochkogl before setting out on the road.

As a postscript I can also report that I skied today in the main Fieberbrunn ski area for a couple of hours with a friend newly arrived from England. Pistes mostly very firm but good skiin. It was a bluebird day, just sun and not as cold as last week (even up on the Reckmoos Süd). The photo below was taken as we skied down to the bottom stations of the gondolas at Lindau towards the end of the day, on the track that leads back from the Lärchfilzhochalm through the Krotenbachtal (Piste 1c).

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today we skied the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang ski circus, starting in Leogang. It was overcast all day with mostly flat lighting, still quite cold but not unpleasant. There was the smell of snow in the air at the end of the day but it didn't come to anything. The pistes were in general hard, tending to icy. Not too busy except for a few lifts. The photo below shows the view from the bottom station of the new Bernkogel gondola, over the roofs of Saalbach towards the Schattberg.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
espri, what a fabulous way to spend your skiing birthday (both bits of the day) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow it really did dump within the last 24 hrs in Austria. Up to 120cm fresh Shocked

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=BergNeuschnee24,DESC
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes it did! We are in Soll and it snowed solid for 24 hrs! Great ski today despite a few lift closures to start. Conditions are ab fab!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HI
Espri Whats the drive from fiberburn too saalbach and both to munich my parents are considering a trip to one or the other or possibly both.
My wife and I are coming over to saalbach in 2 weeks time cant wait and looks like more snow coming.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure I quite understand your question.

Driving from Munich airport to Fieberbrunn normally takes about 2 hrs 15 mins. To drive from Fieberbrunn to Saalbach (via Saalfelden) would take just under an hour, I think. However, to ski in Saalbach from a base in Fieberbrunn I normally drive to the Asitz gondola in Leogang and ski over from there (as mentioned in the post above). Leogang is only 20 mins from Fieberbrunn. Does that help?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After interesting days in Kirchberg/Kitzbühel on Tuesday and then yesterday (with the gondolas in St. Johann and the Steinplatte not running because of high winds) in Kirchdorf and on the Buchensteinwand (Pillersee lifts - just 2 runs before it closed too), today my friend and I skied in St. Johann in Tirol. As yesterday and to a lesser extent the day before, there was plenty of new powder around, as evidenced by these "golddiggers" hunting in the snow on the Penzing piste...

After snowing heavily overnight, it continued snowing off and on for much of the day, though there were occasional glimpses of the sun. Snow conditions great. Quite quiet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had two good but contrasting days skiing with a friend last weekend. Saturday was a bluebird day and we went to the Kitzbüheler Horn, completely different weather from my last visit a few weeks ago. This time all the lifts were running, so that we were able to enjoy the fine run down the Raintal over the back of the mountain. Not very busy (for Fasching weekend?). The photo was taken near bottom of the piste.

On the other side, with the snow as it is just now, it is possible to use the ski routes down to Kitzbühel. Number 6 was previously graded as a black piste but isn't particularly difficult if you stick to the track. For the more adventurous, it is possible to ski off-piste when cutting the corners.

Back up at the main ski area, the second photo is a view from the Alpinhaus over the main runs on the Trattalm.

Note the man climbing down from the pylon - we saw several lift operators removing snow from the top of pylons. They obviously take safety seriously in Kitzbühel, for up near the Hornköpfl hut we spotted a sign that seemed to indicate alcohol controls on the piste - last orders, please Madeye-Smiley

By Sunday the weather had changed completely. Our plan had been to ski in Zell am See but when we arrived at the Areitbahn, about 10:30 after snow shovelling, there was a great queue and the car-park was very full. So we just drove on. After deciding that the Maiskogel area in Kaprun looked busy too, we continued to the glacier on the Kitzsteinhorn. It was dead there - I was able to park closer to the lifts than I ever have before!

Up on the glacier the heavens were overcast and the light very flat but the snow was good. No queuing for lifts at all. We had lunch in the restaurant in the Gipfelwelt 3000 (and later looked at the Hohe Tauern exhibition in the tunnel). While we ate, we watched a couple of men sidestepping back up after deciding that the steep skiroute down from the Gipfelwelt to the glacier wasn't for them after all. We didn't bother thinking about it (though it did seem that the other way down on skis, from the end of the tunnel, was open too - no sign about not skiing down it, though nobody was doing it).

About lunchtime it started to snow lightly and the snowfall was quite heavy by the end of the day, as the piste-bashers came out to prepare for the next day.

Given the visibility, conditions could be described more as interesting than good. After a somewhat challenging day, we left for an early hot chocolate about half an hour before the lifts closed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had another bluebird day in Kirchberg/Kitzbühel today, as though March had come early. Snow conditions very good with only occasional scraped, icy bits. With the queue out of the door at the Fleckalmbahn in the morning (about 10:00), it looked like being a busy day. But once we were up the hill there were few lift queues, except the usual bottleneck at the Silberstuben lift in the afternoon.

After warming up on the Maierl my friend and I skied down the Streif which was in pretty friendly condition but with the usual moguls. Here is the view looking from the start house down towards the Mausefalle.

Following that exertion we had a more relaxed run down to Kitz on the Asten piste (no. 20), lunching at the Einsiedelei. This is the view over Kitzbühel to the Horn - very quiet.

Later we had one run down the Pengelstein. All in all a very enjoyable day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The weather hasn't been great this weekend. With visitors I skied in Fieberbrunn on Saturday and it rained pretty well all day, rather dampening. Visibility wasn't good but the snow was fine (though we didn't get across to higher slopes on the Reckmoos).

Today we were in St. Johann in Tirol and at least it snowed rather than rained, quite heavily at times. The snow was great, though what I tried alongside the piste at Penzing was rather crusty and difficult. Lower down the pistes were a bit soggy. Very quiet (both days). The photo shows a misty view along the track from the top of the Penzing chairlift to the Harschbichl piste.

Snowed until the evening, probably 8-10 cm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooops!
Yesterday I opened a new thread to report on snow & weather conditions in Kirchberg-Kitzbuehel-SkiWelt (25.02-03.03.2012), but I've just found out this should have been the thread to post to Smile Sorry, I'll continue over here - if you want to read yesterday's post, you can find it at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87209

MONDAY 27/02/2012

So, it's hard to be objective about today, since it was one of my favourite skiing days... ever Smile
You know when everything fits smoothly and perfectly - weather, snow, landscape, slopes, down to the music you listen to on your mp3 player...
Well, this was the case Smile

Yesterday's storm has left a generous layer of fresh snow everywhere (which was quickly swept away in the crowdier areas, but it wasn't a big deal). The bottom was less icy than yesterday, and there were several spots where its conditions made me think I was dreaming or something Smile It was still cloudy on top and greyish below in the morning - still with good visibility - but little by little a few sun rays started to come through. The weather remained similarly mixed all day, but sunny patches became more frequent in the afternoon. I went all the way from the Fleckalmbahn in Kirchberg to the Resterhoehe; found the long 3S gondola a bit of a hassle, but when I arrived, boy, was I happy I had gone!

The area on top of Jochberg, up to the Baerenbadkogel I'd say, is simply amazing - "simply" as in simple... alright, no tough challenges over here - but as far as the slopes and the landscapes were concerned, this whole tree-packed area (slopes #60, 61, 62, 65...) is fantastic. Beyond that, from the Zweitausender chairlift on, the slopes get wide open and a bit less surprising, IMHO. I guess I'll have to go back to double-check, teheh, since it does take quite a while to get there from Kirchberg and I just didn't have enough time to explore each and every slope over there.

It took me quite a long time to get back. This sort of made me miss 3 Vallées wonderful connections, but still, what I've seen and experienced today is unforgettable!

I'll post more updates in the coming days,
ciao Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice. Have not been in Austria for a month. January was fabulous, pow, pow... Heading back this Friday. It seems to be Austrias winter this year.
In Italy barely one meter at 3000.m altitude and hot now.
latest report
12 cm of new snow fell over night and, once we had cleared that away, we drove to the Loferer Alm today. The slopes were quiet although the car park at the gondola was full by the time we arrived. Snow in excellent condition and we enjoyed a good day on the easy, rolling pistes. Even the run back down to Lofer wasn't too hectic as it sometimes is. Weather much improved from yesterday, with the sun occasionally shining through, more and more as the day went on. The photo shows the view towards the end of the day over the Schönblick piste looking northeast towards the Alpengasthof Schönblick.

latest report
More snow today in Kirchberg-Kitzbuehel-SkiWelt!!!
It was a bit of a white day this morning, but I found good snow and great slopes as I made my way from Kirchberg (through the Ki-West gondola) to the Ski-Welt. This connection is reeeeally long and a bit complicated the first time; I advise people in Kirchberg or Kitzbuehel to take the skibus to Brixen instead... it only passes once every hour, but it's worth checking the schedule and being on time if you really want to explore the SkiWelt. Having said that, I found some of the slopes between the Ki-west and Brixen wonderful... Westendorf was ok to great, albeit slushy, but the ones right after the Ki-West are even better IMHO. All in all it's worth exploring the area at least once, while for someone who wishes to return again and again, the skibus connection would be much easier (and quicker, only 10 minutes between Kirchberg and Brixen). Meanwhile the weather got a bit better, cloudy on top but with good visibility. The snow was again a bit icy at the bottom, but more than satisfying on the whole and great on some slopes.

After reaching Brixen, I went up to Söll; found it nice, but not thrilling. It reminded me of Mayrhofen a bit, with several lifts departing from the same point and many slopes crossing (in this respect it's also similar to Les Arcs 1800, for instance). All these intertwining slopes have less character in my opinion, but the snow was good enough. A few side slopes around the core were waaay nicer! It's worth exploring every inch of the area, especially at the margins. There were a fair bit of people - all in all I'd say the crowdiest i've seen these days - but not too many to have fun. Unfortunately (well, depending on the point of view!) it started to snow and it only got worse (or better...) as the afternoon passed - zillions of tiny, wettish flakes which had shamelessly turned into our nemesis - RAIN! - as I returned to Kirchberg (with the skibus from Brixen, of course). I had my share of slush today, bit too much for my taste whenever you ski below a certain threshold, but of course we're talking of villages at 800-900m altitude so what else should we expect Smile

On the whole I think the SkiWelt is definitely worth exploring, it's a bit different from Kitz/Kirchberg and it seems quite cool (though a bit more mixed in terms of slopes quality, with quite a few fillers). Anyway I've seen just a part of it and I've found several cool slopes where I'm eager to return in the coming days: 119, 117b, 117, 110, 11, 6, 7, 21/22... shall I go on? Wink

Ciao from Tirol!
www.tipsology.net
ski holidays
Certainly sounds like Austria is having a bumper season for snow! Heading out to Kitzbuhel on the 10th, so I'm really hoping conditions stay this good for the next couple of weeks! Just got a new pair of boots too, so really looking forward to trying them out properly! COUNTING THE DAYS!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi there...
unfortunately things weren't so good today, at least in some areas; as I returned towards Pass Thurn, the terrifying words "spring snow" were ringing in my ears... After a cloudy morning, the sun came out and it was so beautiful, but the snow suffered a lot. When I came back in the afternoon from the 3S gondola, though, I found a better situation over Kitz and Kirchberg; apparently the sun spared these areas, or at least was less damaging.

i was surprised at how quickly things changed after yesterday's rain - and it's been raining tonight as well. tomorrow and friday should bring high temperatures in the whole area (14 degrees tops! slush, slush...), but don't despair! sunday should bring back acceptable temperatures, and hopefully snow conditions. i sure hope so, since i'm moving to Saalbach on saturday. anyway, even if things were to remain the same, there are spots with acceptable snow and the slopes are gorgeous. don't forget your sun screen!!!

ciao,
www.tipsology.net
snow report
Confirming nobrainbcn's reports, we skied in Kirchberg-Kitzbühel yesterday with poorish weather. I was rather surprised when we arrived at the Fleckalmbahn to find that it wasn't running, reportedly because of the wind although everything seemed pretty calm (though what wind there was was right across the lift). We went up the Maierl gondola instead and then had a few runs on the Ochsalm lift before skiing down the Asten piste (20) to lunch again at the Einsiedelei. The snow had been fine further up but, when we came out after lunch, it was pretty soft and heavy down into Kitzbühel. The photo shows the view from the Asten piste over the Kitzbühel ski jumps toward the Hausbergkante on the Hahnenkamm. By the end of the afternoon there was more snow and sleet and it wasn't so pleasant skiing back to Kirchberg.

Today there was drizzle when we set out and we wondered about calling the skiing off. Luckily we didn't, for not long after we arrived on the slopes in Fieberbrunn the sun came out and we had the best weather of the week so far. The skiing was good but again the snow was softening lower down with minor moguls forming by the end of the day. The photo below shows the view from the Reckmoos Nord piste over towards the Lärchfilzkogel.

latest report
Thursday 1 March, 07:45: Bluebird day! Well, this seems more like a perfect day to get a proper suntan rather than ski, but we can't complain can we!
ski holidays
We are off to Maria Alm for a few days next week, hope it doesnt stay too warm! forecast indicates temps dropping again at the weekend, cant wait Very Happy I love seeing all the fantastic pictures you guys keep sharing with us, thank you, brightens a gloomy day at work!
ski holidays
Here you are, feefee - enjoy your holiday!

Had a glorious day in the Hochkönig area today as the last day of my friends' visit. We started on the Aberg lift at Maria Alm and skied to Dienten and back under blue, cloudless skies. The snow was mostly soft and by the end of the day sugary moguls were forming on the run back down to Maria Alm. However, the skiing was great. The photo above shows the view from the Gabühel piste over Dienten to the new Bürglalm chairlift. We had lunch at the Almhäusl hut from where the photo was taken (good value for money, e.g. toasted ham and cheese with a small salad €5 - and very friendly staff). The final few metres that you can just see in the photo, down to the new Ski Center or back to the Gabühel chairlift, were already pretty mogulled midday and challenging for anyone unsure in such snow.
ski holidays
espri, Ha ha I know exactly where that is! In January I completely lost it and froze at that last bit, its very steep into the bottleneck, but I am determined to overcome that next week, I have yet to ski all the way over to Muhlbach and back to Maria Alm, the aim is to do it next week. We stopped for a drink in that hut last time, and I think thats why i struggled the last bit? found it hard to get going again, this time I aim to keep moving all the way to the new lift! I remember that old slow T bar! roll on next week snowHead
latest report
Another bluebird day today in Kitz-Kirchberg-SkiWelt, but the snow was not too bad. I tried something and it worked great, spent the morning in the beginning of SkiWelt from the Ki-West gondola (where I really enjoyed myself, lovely slopes! even the blue 120 which goes down to Ki-West is so nice, but I'd say all that area is great), then had lunch at the last restaurant before the start of the Ki-Welt (food wasn't bad, nice atmosphere) and took the skibus to Pengelstein in order to spend the afternoon above Kirchberg and Kitz. Snow was bad this afternoon, so I stopped earlier, but all in all it was another great day.

It's all about temperatures really, if the weather goes as planned next week should be great. There were A LOT of Dutch people, these last two days have been the crowdiest by far; I asked for a confirmation and they said they're having holidays in Holland.. well, it seems they've all come down here together Smile

Whoever is coming here should have a great time next week. I've found this a lovely area, worth exploring every inch (the farther end of SkiWelt around Ellmau, for instance, is great and empty!). I'll surely be back.... And tomorrow I'm off to Saalbach, yeepee!

Ciao Smile

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 2-03-12 19:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Saalbach for me tomorrow too. Just heading over to man airport in an hour. Hope we get a bit of fresh but really does it matter if not! roll on the first turns tomorrow pm
snow conditions
nobrainbcn, Is crowdiest really a word? You're all making me jealous, had my ration this year and it's 10 months till I get another chance Sad
snow report
robapplegate, it is a word indeed! and even if it wasn't, it should be created after the Dutch avalanche I witnessed in the last few days Smile anyway Dutch holidays are over now, so things in Saalbach should be a bit quieter this coming week.

sorry to make you jealous, i have to say that i feel pretty lucky. i'd advise anyone to drop their job and become a translator or something similar - there are a few cons, but the freedom to carry your job around with you is priceless!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The warm weather continued today, making for a great day's skiing under blue skies on the Steinplatte (at Waidring). Though the snow was soft it was eminently skiable (once I had hired a pair of boots, having forgotten mine Embarassed). What surprised me most was that there were virtually no crowds. We skied over to the Winklmoosalm in Germany and the photo shows the Scheibelberg T-bar with a queue typical for the day (and with advertising for the chairlift which will replace the T-bar next season).

While we were on the Scheibelberg, we met a man on a monoboard, the like of which I have never seen before - he claimed it was easier to use than normal skis. "Eye-Catcher" it said on his board and it certainly caught my eye!

latest report
Hi there!
So, our first ski day in Saalbach was nice. Forecast changed from light snow to cloudy with a bit of sun; more sun than that actually showed up, which was nice - though of course the snow suffered a bit. On the whole I found better snow than during the last few days in Kitzbuehel-Kirchberg-SkiWelt - Saalbach has more high peaks around 1900-2000m - though as soon as you reach under a certain level, it does get quite slushy.

What disappointed me (so far!) were the actual slopes. My friend and I explored most of the, uhm, left side of the map - the side of Shattberg Xpress - and I was yawning most of the times (except for a couple nice runs). Things got better when we crossed through to the other side on top of Lengau and on to Hinterglemm on the same "right side" (of the map). Slopes seem more creative in both areas. Several of them are nice, but they rarely provided the "wow!" effect which made me fall in love with Kitzbuehel-Kirchberg-SkiWelt. Too many places where slopes cross and melt into an anonymous whole... "Nice, but not great" includes the return route to Saalbach along the Bernkogelbahn (though at the top, the snow was the best we found during the whole day).

All in all it's not bad, just wouldn't compare it to the above resorts or Ischgl, Hintertux and the like. i find it quite telling, for instance, that in Kitz-Kirchberg slopes clock in around 170Kms and I couldn't seem to get bored, while here there are 200 and I'm already feeling like we've seen most of them. I'm really hoping to find some sort of revelation in the areas we still have to reach (Vorderglemm, Leogang...) otherwise I'll be puzzled as to why so many people seem to love this resort. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow, which by the way should bring 7cms of fresh powder! let's hope it doesn't melt before it reaches the ground Wink

ciao,
www.tipsology.net
ski holidays
p.s.
on the upside, the Dutch holidays are over! Wink (nothing personal, love the Dutch teeheh)
there are not SO many people here this week, few queues, quite slopes and several empty patches. definitely a plus!!!
latest report
espri, Skied around Hochkonig today and recognise the photo above looking down at Dienten, though not as sunny today. A great area, so quiet, and breathtaking scenery with loads of decent off the side the piste bits to play in, where the powder comes back. Some excellent new infrastructure, I wonder how it pays when it seems so quiet even on a Sunday? The towns in the valleys are still draped in thick snow, probably 1 - 1.5m of the rooftops, so even with the current warm weather the snow is holding up.
ski holidays
waynos, we were in St. Johann in Tirol today and it was dead quiet there too. Where have all the people gone? Snow was soft and sugary, heavy lower down. The weather turned out better than forecast, with sun in the afternoon, though hazy down in the valley.

The photo is of the Bassgeigeralm on the Penzing piste, where we lunched.

ski holidays
A small miracle in Tirol!
Today brought a cool new layer of fresh snow in Saalbach (and most probably other resorts). I'd say 8-10cms of powder, not of the driest sort but not too wet either. This morning I've found the best skiing conditions for me this season. The snow and wind were bothering a bit, but visibility was good and we really enjoyed ourselves. I still find the slopes in this resort a bit disappointing compared to others, but we did find some nice ones on our way to Leogang (#90, for instance, or 2b down to Vorderglemm...both simple, but fun). We're not great off-pisters, ehem, but this afternoon we just couldn't resist - the area around the Poltenlift provided a wonderful playground Wink Going back this afternoon it was already a bit icy below the powder, but we had fun around Magic 6er and Panorama 6er. Only the final part down to Saalbach was slushy, but it was an OK ending for a really great day. The sun should come back tomorrow, but with all the snow that has fallen, I'm pretty confident it will be another cool day!

Ciao,
www.tipsology.net (just published an ode to solo skiing... but I have to admit i'm having a lot of fun with my friend this week. nice to have a little bit of both, I'd say!)
snow conditions
We've been all over the Tirol this week and have experienced just about every type of snow going! Conditions have been excellent just about everywhere - very heavy and slushy at the bottom in Kitzbuehel but can't complain! Powder skiing in Steinplatte yesterday was great fun and the slopes were virtually deserted. Bluebird day on the cards for tomorrow by all accounts so off to Fieberbrunn to and its south facing slopes to work on the tan. Snow is forecast for Thursday before more sun on Friday. The forecasts have been wrong most of the week so far though so not reading too much into anything. You get what you're given I suppose!

espri, I think we probably skied past you on Sunday in St Johann. I'll be sure to wave next time! We're stayingbin the town which is very nice!
ski holidays
...bit too icy in Saalbach today, especially on top - of course there was powder everywhere after yesterday's storm, but not enough to allow for good on piste skiing (except for the first hour this morning, which was quite cool on top of the Shattberg Xpress). forecasts were wrong here too, it was cloudy all day except for a couple of sun rays here and there. should be rather sunny tomorrow morning...
snow report
Reading nobrainbcn's report from yesterday I was rather embarrassed that we took a day off, after it had poured with rain in Saalfelden in the morning (though the afternoon didn't seem so bad). But today we were back on the slopes, this time round about Kirchberg. Starting at the Fleckalmbahn, we had some runs on the Maierl gondola and then worked our way over to the Pengelstein. Snow was mostly hard and frozen (with the tiniest sprinkling of new snow), softening somewhat later with some sugary bits in the afternoon. What little I tried alongside the piste wasn't as crusty as I had expected, rather fine, in fact. Weather was mostly overcast, with a layer of cloud hanging around halfway up the hill, e.g. around the Ochsalm. The sun appeared as we were finishing our day.

Here's the view of the lifts to take you over to the Pengelstein - the Kasereck on the right in the photo - and bring you back again - the Siberstuben on the left. Very quiet all around, without even a queue at the Silberstuben on the way back.

Peter Griffin - there was a couple whom we saw a few times in St. Johann (e.g. followed them over the track 5a from Penzing to the Harschbichl piste) and I wondered whether they were Brits. Enjoy Fieberbrunn!
ski holidays
Yesterday was another amazing day in Saalbach, this time not only snow- but also sky-wise Wink Not a cloud in sight, great snow... Bit crowded everywhere, but not too much. And today... even more snow! A lot has been falling since the night I guess, and it got even more intense as the day progressed (still snowing right now, probably tomorrow as well but somehow less, which should make for a great skiing day). The visibility was a bit less favourable than during the previous storm, and most areas were rather icy, so on the whole this has been a less pleasant day, but still, the skiing conditions are simply amazing for this time of year.

So much so that I'm thinking of staying next week... Need some advice about that, I'll post a request in the "Resort Reviews and Trip Reports" forum Smile

ciao,
www.tipsology.net
ski holidays
Another couple of chalk and cheese skiing days. Yesterday was superb, weatherwise, and my friend and I skied in the Hochkönig area. For a change we started at Hinterthal and skied over to Mühlbach and back. Everything was pretty quiet. The photo below shows a view of the Hochkönig range from the top of the Karbachalm gondola out of Mühlbach.

Snow conditions were varied. Mostly the pistes were hard, almost icy, but on the south-facing slopes the snow was soft. This was most noticeable on the Gabühel run above Dienten, especially on the final few metres down to the new bridge and Skizentrum. On the way back we were able to enjoy watching others struggling down (a few folk were taking the chairlift down which probably showed they knew what lay ahead). There is the track "bypass" but even that was pretty bumpy.

The forecast for today wasn't so promising and it was snowing lightly when we set out. We went back to St. Johann in Tirol. Again dead quiet. Actually the weather wasn't bad too bad in the morning and we had some enjoyable skiing. After lunch it started snowing moderately and conditions were less pleasant. The snow was firm higher up but tending to soft, sugary and heavier on the lower slopes. The photo shows the Koasaburg, the middle station of the Harschbichl gondola, with the Kitzbüheler Horn behind lost in the clouds.

snow conditions
So just back from a couple of hours skiing up Nordkette.

Despite recent (and still continuing) high temperatures, there is an absolutely massive amount of snow. As in, really massive.

Nice and soft on piste, was up too late to get corn (it's all southfacing) so skied some lovely slush, with firmer patches in the shade.

Offpiste looks... scary. Really scary. There is sooooo much avi activity. Debris and big crowns in places I wouldn't have expected (on of the [less steep and easier] offpiste itineraries is largely offlimits for the rest of the season after a full depth slide to the side of gouged large parts of it away, with the rest buried under metres of debris), and glide cracks all over the sop, just waiting to go. One of the nearby ridges looks glaciated - so much snow, just all cracked and buckled. That's gonna be a biggie when it goes.

Play safe if you're coming out soon. Potentially another 40cms of snow Innsbruck and Eastwards Sunday/Monday, which could cover up some of the nastiness deceptively. North-facing stuff looks generally to be in better condition.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy