Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
I believe I posted this exactly 51 weeks ago...

Quote:
I am pretty sure that is is late, late snow rather than early, early snow... but it is here!

http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/news/webcams

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Obertauern/webcams/latest

At least there is enough to remind me how much I enjoy sliding!

All I can say is... see above!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flangesax, looks like I will be putting my skis in the car as well when I come over to Altenmarkt next weekend Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Fancy a trip to the Kitzsteinhorn flangesax?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went up the Planai Gondola today, there is at least 5 cm of snow from about 1700! It made the downhill biking quite interesting to watch!
The local glaciers (Dachstein and Kitsteinhorn) are also being hit pretty hard, so if anyone has some summer skiing booked then you are in for a treat!

http://www.austrian-adventures.com/sh/planai.jpg
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/news/

Sue it´s closed til mid-Sept. I was at Sölden last week and same story. Lifts are open for hikers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kooky, I know I got an update message yesterday - gutted!

So the skis are back in the clellar as soon as I get home tomorrow, unless you fancy trying the Hintertux or Stubai glaciers one weekend? both within an easy drive of my place! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Obertauen looks like it has had a heavy pasting over night!
Naturally this is all the early stuff but still reminds me why I am here!
Very clouded in but still snowing... may have to get the touring gear out afterall!... we'll see wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have had snow fall over night down to about 1300m, up top they predict we will have had 60cms by the end of the day !!!! great news for the glaciers and the forthcoming ski season...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wetter reporting snowline to 700m
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/news/Wettersturz-LIVE-Schnee-bis-700-Meter/40724730
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
40cm at stubai over night
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just got this email bulletin from tyrol avi service

Avalanche News Monday, 19.09.2011, at 16:19

Short-term danger of full depth wet snowslides on steep, grassy slopes!

Avalanche Danger
In the mountains of Tirol, perilous conditions have suddenly set in due to large amounts of snowfall in some parts. Potential avalanche danger is currently limited to full depth wet snowslides more than anything else. The snowpack can slide away on the ground surface, particularly on steep, smooth grassy slopes. Close attention must be accorded to this hazard, especially on hiking trails and exposed roads below steep meadow slopes. In addition, loose snow avalanches can be expected in extremely steep terrain tomorrow, particularly in those place where the sun is shining. Fresh, small snowdrift accumulations can also be dislodged by the weight of mountain climbers, particularly in high alpine regions, i.e. above about 3000 m, in very steep, wind protected areas near ridge lines.

Snow Layering
Over the last 48 hours there has been widespread snowfall above approximately 1000 m: between 30 and 50 cm along the Main Alpine Ridge and in East Tirol, more than 100 cm in isolated high alpine regions. There are currently no noticably weak layers detectable inside the snowpack, meaning that the major peril to beware comes from snowslides released across steep, smooth slopes.

Alpine Weather Forecast (ZAMG-Weather Service Innsbruck)
Cold! In the western Upper Inn Valley and the Ausserfern region, there is currently light to moderate rainfall, the snowfall level here is between 1100 and 1600 m. In the Lower Inn Valley, it is expected to rain or snow all day long, to some extent intensely. The snowfall level here is between low lying areas and 1200 m. In East Tirol, heavy rains are expected, the snowfal level will drop to beneath 1000 m. By this evening, conditions will calm. In western South Tirol, only a small amount of rainfall, with bright intervals in late afternoon. Highest temperatures will be between plus 2 degrees in Kitzbühel and plus 7 degrees in Landeck, in South Tirol as much as high as 15 degrees.

Short Term Development
The avalanche danger is expected to be over at latest on Thursday, due to the forecasted improvement in weather conditions and rising temperatures. The next bulletin will be published at the next heavy snowfall. Until then, our best wishes for a beautiful autumn!

Patrick Nairz
Translated by Jeffrey McCabe
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Amazing snowfall today,looked like easily 5 cm right down to 750m ish at Zell am See.

Almost as amazing is that it took me until the third page of topic headlines to get any mention of it.

Take it there was no snow in France then? Shock
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick update, mega snow up at 1500m! did a walk up at Arthurhaus with our husky, he was loving it!
http://www.hauswasserbauer.com/photo-gallery/?album=1&gallery=4
Top 5 photos taken from this afternoon.
Bring it on !!!! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^^ oooo that dog is beautiful! Stunning photos, it looks like the depths of midwinter!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a late "summer" trip to the Solden area - this was yesterday lunchtime: at least 16 inches at 2000m, so must be loads more at higher altitude!!! Will all be gone by the weekend though....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They were working hard to prepare the pistes on the Pitztal glacier this morning.
ski holidays
I am being sent to Munich for work on Friday. If I take the weekend to pop over to an Austrian glacier am I likely to be slipping down sheet ice or is there a good chance of some real snow? That picture above from last week looks amazing!
ski holidays
hughbedo, Unbroken sunshine until Friday then big temp drop and snow forecast all weekend, so should be fresh snow.
ski holidays
Is there any way to get from Munich to a Glacier without driving?
ski holidays
hughbedo, In a word no! You can get as far as the towns in the valleys by train, but then you need a car, bus or shuttle transfer to got to the foot of the uplift.

The nearest options for you are: Hintertux - train to Jenbach and then switch to the Zillertal railway OR
Stubai - train to Innsbruck then catch the bus up to the glacier base station via Neustift

However lots of the glaciers and cable car systems are closed right now for their bi-annual checks before the beginning of the ski season. So you need to check when they are closed for "Revision"
ski holidays
Thanks for the info. My photo part of the driving licence was stolen a little while ago and I have not sorted out getting a replacement. I am tempted to turn up to the car hire place with only the paper bit, but it would be such hassle if it was refused.
snow conditions
hughbedo, I've never had any problem with just the paper licence - I don't have a photo licence.
latest report
Yeah, if you never had a photocard licence then it is fine, your paper licence is complete. If you have had a photo card one it says something like "This is not valid without the photo part". I may well not book anything until I go on Thursday, and if it works in the airport I will go skiing, if not I will spend the weekend in Munich.
snow report
your arriving a week late for a weekend in Munich Madeye-Smiley

I agree with Sue, I was in Munich for a while and a car is the way to get anywhere. Enviromentally friendly locals will insist a train is best, but I found it wasted time. Get a car, go to bed early, set off early and get the first lift.

without your photocard your stuffed though.
ski holidays
We have snow falling here in the Hochkönig, at the moment it is up at about 1500m, but is due to drop down to about 900m this afternoon. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come ! (on a separate note our Husky is getting his new winter coat at some speed which can only bode well, can`t it ?) Photos to follow this afternoon, not of our husk, but the snow (and once I have figured out how to post them) for now check out the webcams http://www.hauswasserbauer.com/hochkonig-webcams/. snowHead
ski holidays
http://www.skiingaustria.co.uk/stubai-glacier/webcam.html
latest report
hacking it down with rain in Schladming town. Snow line was I'd say around 1300m, can just up the hill through the cloud and reckon the snowline has dropped to 1200m in last hour, so getting colder. Missing the sunny warm weather, may the autumn be very short,bring on winter and open lifts.
ski holidays
This will be the view from my flat that I will have when I get home from work tonight!

http://www.flugschule-hochries.de/webcam/

so it was worth switching to my winter tyres the other week! wink
latest report
30cm new snow in Austria (live ticker in German) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, I never have this luck. I got a car no problem. Can anyone recommend a glacier? I am thinking stubai but for no good reason than it is defiantly open. I am driving from Munich, leaving early in the morning tomorrow.
ski holidays
The webcams are looking good in Solden, love this time of the year, so much anticpation! Very Happy
latest report
hughbedo, Go for it, fabulous conditions but may be mucky weather, so wrap up well!
snow report
Just got off the hill. Snow is great, visibility is not but overall much better than I expected. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
ski holidays
The Dachstein Glacier (near Schladming) weather station data is back online, reporting, as I type this, 52cms in last 24 hours

http://www.snowreporter.com/schneeberichte/oesterreich/steiermark/ramsaudachstein.html
ski holidays
Diedamskopf - Sun 9th Oct 2011

snow conditions
look at that ^^^^^
snow report
russ_e wrote:
look at that ^^^^^

Unfortunately most of it is dissapearing if you check the webcam
http://www.diedamskopf.at/cam1.html

snow report
Spoke to soon!!
snow report
russ_e, don't worry it will be back in shed loads in a short while Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I was up on Stubai Glacier today, loads of snow up there. More runs than I expected as well. Snow stayed good all day, weather was perfect. Sunny and cool all day.

Full of kids though, groups doing race training by the look of it.

Back there again tomorrow. Very Happy
latest report
stevev, Good to know - I might be out to play there too soon. Got the OK to ski from my ortho doc after breaking my ankle in the summer. Now just need to work on my fitness rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy