Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
AlanB1976, love the photo of the trio admiring the view, stunning - I'd have been doing the same!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chalk and cheese - that was the weather yesterday and today. After sun in the Hochkönig yesterday, today was gray and wet. It had sowed about a cm overnight but for most of the day it was just sleet and drizzle. The light was also very diffuse. Not the best conditions.

Our destination today was the Kitzbüheler Horn. This is a small area at the best of times and today the lifts to the top of the Horn weren't running, because of the high winds, I suspect. Nor was the Raintal lift operating, so the skiing available was quite restricted. This picture shows all the main lifts on the Horn, except the Raintal chairlift over the back (actually it shows the top of that too).

This is skiing as it used to be. All the chairlifts are pretty ancient but they were adequate for the few folk on the slopes today, mostly Brits and Irish from the sound of it. We skied around for a while and then had a run down to the valley. That turned out to be the best skiing of the day. The ski route 6 down from the middle station of the gondola was in good condition then, though when we skied it again at the end of our day around three o'clock, it was stodgier (my slight off-piste attempt on the way down wasn't a success).

The photo below shows the view over Kitzbühel to the Hahnenkamm, all ready for the races. It always amazes me that men ski down that in less than two minutes Shocked. I thought that we might have seen something of the downhill training but that was cancelled because of the warm weather (to protect the course).

After lunch even the Hornköpfl chairlift closed down, so there was no way further up the mountain. We had several runs down to the middle station of the gondola, pleasant despite strong wind in places, but then called it a day. Not our best day's skiing but still enjoyable at times.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks espri, that is a cracking photo of the Hahnenkamm. I've not seen that view before. Hopefully today is only a one day temperature blip and normal service is to resume?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robboj, snowing here right now. The rain turned to snow in the night and we are due to to have this for the next couple of days. I'm at a lower altitude due north of Kitz and Ski Welt. If it is snowing here, it is definitely snowing in the Ski Welt, Kitzbühel and all points higher in eastern Tirol.

The real problem for the race currently is the winds I would presume - blowing a hooley outside right now and has done most of the night.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dumping in Innsbruck again, apparently.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Today we skied in St. Johann in Tirol. About 10 cm of heavy, wet snow had fallen overnight and by the time we had cleared that and attended to other chores it was midday before we reach St. Johann. Things didn't look promising. The sky was overcast and it snowed a bit. The car-park was wet and slushy.

But how impressions can be wrong. The pistes were in great condition and the snow superb. When we started, there were few people around; some more arrived during the afternoon. It did snow somewhat off and on but never enough to be unpleasant. The gondola cabin shows the results...

At the start the upper section of the Harschbichl gondola wasn't running but it did get into action after about an hour. The Penzing lifts were running but we didn't go over there. Mostly we skied the piste alongside the lower section of the gondola and were able to look at the new Ski Cross Movie Track which opened in St. Johann about a week ago (it wasn't in action today)...

Later we did go up to the top of the Harschbichl gondola a couple of times. Here's the picture to prove it...

Quite windy up there. But overall the skiing was fine with great powder alongside the pistes. We finished our day, still four hours skiing without a break, with a run down from the top, taking piste 2b to bring us to the car-park - we had it pretty well to ourselves.

It was a good day's skiing and just goes to show you: don't trust weather forecasts Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Espri

If it is windy over the next few days, to avoid closed lifts, is there anywhere near Kitz, that is less suseptible to wind
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dublin1 wrote:
If it is windy over the next few days, to avoid closed lifts, is there anywhere near Kitz, that is less suseptible to wind

I don't really expect major problems. Some lifts will always be running, e.g. I would think the Pengelstein I outside Kirchberg would keep going. Yesterday the skiing on the Kitzbüheler Horn was fine though rather restricted. Today I don't know whether the upper section of the Harschbichl was closed because of the wind or because they were still preparing the upper pistes after the new snow.

Should be good!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today wasn't the best skiing, though the snow was great. It snowed for much of the day, mostly rather wet and visibility was pretty poor. We worked hard, skiing on the Pillersee lifts, on the Buchensteinwand, the small area between St. Jakob in Haus and St. Ulrich in the Pillerseetal. To start with we had several runs on the short Panoramabahn chairlift, which had good powder alongside the piste...

Later we went over to the Hoametzlhütte on the Hochfilzen side for lunch and had some runs there before returning to St. Jakob. There were plenty kids on the slopes and they seemed to have less trouble with the visibility than I had. Maybe the racers were celebrating Hochfilzen's Romed Baumann coming second in the Hahnenkamm downhill, only 0.24 seconds behind Cuche.

Eventually just after three we called it a day and went back to snow shovelling, another 20 cm new snow following the 30 cm we had removed in the morning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For the last day of my friend's visit we drove to Leogang. Our plan had been to ski over to Saalbach but mist and some wind high up made us change our mind, so that we stayed on the Leogang side all day. Most of our time was spent skiing the piste on the upper section of the Asitzbahn gondola where the visibility was better - very enjoyable. Snow was fine but not spectacular. In between times we went up on the Asitzgipfel chairlift and had a few runs right down into the valley. A good day's skiing at the end of a week of mixed weather. The pisture shows the snow-sculptured roofs of the Alte Schmiede (Old Smithy) where we had a good lunch...

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arrived in Westendorf yesterday, loads of snow fell on Saturday, the conditions looked awsome, however woke up this morning to light rain in the village, and its been on and off all day. Pretty mild temps, a lot of wet snow in the lower regions, but still fine higher up. Really hoping the temps start to drop as forecast, as there is more snow due Tuesday, will not be happy if it arrives as rain Sad , lovely place to ski, not explored further into ski welt just yet, but definately plan to do so.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
neilkav, regular updates please, I'm off there a week on Saturday Smile

Have you noticed how are beginners getting on in the wet snow, or are they able to take lessons higher up the mountain? Thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
12 days to go, keep those updates coming folks. the tension is building, deep breath and...... relax. thats some amount of snow on the old smithy roofs, still keeping that doorstep clear Espri
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sabreboy,

Hi, getting better by the hour, lots of snow today proably 25 cm up top and 10 in the village, temps have dropped so no worries now, and about 40cm forecast for tonight tomorrow. Wednesday is gonna be a blue bird day as is thursday so we'll be enjoying all the new powder!!!

Had a bit of a moment today, was skiing along nicely off piste, rented some volkl kendos OMG awesome all mountain skis, brilliant off, and better than my fischer RC4's on, and dropped over a ridge only to find a fcn stream in front of me, nothing I could do lol, skis went into the bank I I did a really nice somersault, and landed on my head, seriously legs were sticking out and i was buried....didnt hurt a bit, at least 70-80cm freash off piste. Worsr thing was none of my mates saw it, I was hoping such a spectacula wipeout would have been witnessed.....rest of the day was spent oveert the back of choralm in 6" powder on piste and about a foot off. Awesome - in 20 years probably never had such good conditions.

Beginners are learning at the bottom - its fine, AND at the top of the main gondola, really nice flat slopes to practice one, you will LOVE it...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
breakdown wrote:
still keeping that doorstep clear Espri

Rain during the day but more snow this evening.
snow report
Arrived in Ellmau yesterday. Rain all the way up from
Munich. Wet, sleety snow when we arrived. BUT, just looked out the window. The rain that turned to snow at 3pm yesterday was still falling as we went asleep last night and it's still falling!!! Looks like a strong wind too though. Not sure how great it's going to be up top however it looks amazing right now!
ski holidays
OMG rolling eyes Shocked Madeye-Smiley

At least 40cm overnight here in Westendorf and still dumping, could be carnage today lol, but cannot believe how much snow there is, forecast to just keep on coming today, and then sun sun sun.

I am very lucky.....
snow report
Video from last Weekend show´s Gastein - Sportgastein, Ski Amade:
http://youtube.com/v/DfPdq4VTvGk
snow conditions
Yesterday was a great but tough skiing day! Driving snow at times with almost zero vis, but beautiful powder everywhere and the snow just kept falling! At one stage, the instructor, a local, wasn't sure where he was going due to the white out. But when it cleared it was magic. Fluffy powder, little wind and very few about. The snow eventually stopped falling at 10pm last night and sorry about this for those of you waiting to come out here, today I have to say was one of the best days skiing I've ever had. Clear skies, squeaky snow quiet slopes and loads of untracked powder. Skied with moonshine and her husband and friends. Great fun all round.
snow report
Had two and a half hours of great skiing in Fieberbrunn this afternoon. The weather was fantastic and with more new snow overnight, though not much, there was plenty of powder around. The photo below shows the bottom station of the Lärchfilzen chairlift, with l-to-r in the background the Leoganger Steinberge, the Spielberghorn and Bürglkopf mountains. My impression on arrival was that the slopes were busy but, as you can see, they weren't Smile

By the time I arrived on the slopes most of the powder was tracked out, so what I tried was quite hard work. Here a view looking down the lower section of the Reckmoos Süd piste. On the ridge in the background is the Reiterkogel Ost lift above Hinterglemm (and the Zwölferkogel further back still, I think).

Mind you, with the soft snow the pistes were quite mogully in places, so they were hard work too! The snow measurer on the Reckmoos Nord run showed 280 cms, which was exactly the figure given by today's snow report from the Ski Club.

All in all a good afternoon - and there was no snow to shovel away when I got home!
snow report
espri, beautiful pictures!
snow report
Large avalanche near Saalbach - no one involved.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/news/Grosse-Lawine-im-Pinzgau-abgegangen/54002362
snow report
Another super day for skiing. I drove to Leogang again and this time the view from the top of the Asitzbahn gondola was more inviting than it had been last Sunday.

In perfect conditions I skied over to Saalbach and Hinterglemm, doing the "Ski Circus" in the anti-clockwise direction. In most places the pistes were firm but grippy, occasionally harder and with soft snow on some lesser used sections. The photo below, taken as I was walking over for my first ride on the new Bernkogel gondola, shows a view of Saalbach with the runs on the Schattberg on the other side of the valley.

The 6-seater chairlift on the Reiterkogel Ost was also new for me. The temperature shown there was 9°C which was hard to believe; there were quite low negative temperatures in the shadows.

Over on the south side of the Glemmtal, coming down the Zwölferkogel, I took the slight detour via the Seekar, which always seems like a lost valley to me. Fine snow up there, here a picture at the top of the T-bar.

Some slopes were quite busy but not enough to spoil one's pleasure. Not being sure when the linking lifts closed this early in the season, I didn't ski any of the big descents but kept going round the circus, so that I was back at the Asitz above Leogang just before four (having started out at 10:45). Having skied without a lunch break and purely as research for snowHeads, I felt I deserved a visit to the new Asitzbräu for refreshments.

This new restuarant and brewery! turned out to be worth a visit. It describes itself as a brewery museum and does have loads of bits from old breweries as well as producing its own beer (though I'm not sure all the beer is brewed there).

Whatever ... the beer must be strong! For I went on to do something I normally would never have tried (on my own). When I was at Leogang last Sunday, I skied a short section in deeper snow beside the piste on the way down from the top of the Asitzbahn and had seen other tracks there, going off into the woods. Now I thought I would follow these rolling eyes - not a very sensible move into the unknown at the end of the day. However, I assumed that it was just a "kid's diversion" and would come back onto the piste in another 50 metres or so. I was wrong. It wasn't kids, it was snowboarders, and the tracks led through the woods, deeper and steeper.

Well, it was interesting and the snow was great. I would probably have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been worrying about something nasty happening. As it was, I was happy when I reached a track which brought me back to the main piste!

An interesting day.
latest report
espri, beautiful picture of the bottom of that chairlift; magical day. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi Espri, those pictures are stunning, your life is Soooo hard at the moment " which resort will I ski today" rolling eyes . Never mind! 7 days left and it will be me on those slopes Very Happy
latest report
Yesterday's sun was pretty well gone today, though there was an occasional glimpse. Mostly it was grey and overcast. For a more leisurely day, I paid my first visit of this season to the Steinplatte (above Waidring) and included skiing over to the Winklmoosalm (near Reit im Winkl on the German side). Neither area is very big but pleasant for a day. The Winklmoosalm is largely an area for beginners with mostly relatively flat slopes; the Steinplatte is best known as being great for intermediate skiers, with wide rolling pistes.

For old times sake while I was at the Winklmoosalm, I skied down the track back to the car-park at Seegatterl. The track is about 3 km long and the second half is pretty flat, involving poling and skating. But today it wasn't like old times at all, when the run was mostly like a moving human slalom. This time I didn't see any other skier all the way down (maybe most now go down in the gondola which has been there for about two seasons)! It was just a pure winter wonderland where you could enjoy even the flat.

Actually, my main reason for crossing the border was to take a photo or two of the Scheiblberg T-bar on the Winklmoos side in its last season before being replaced by a chairlift. Farewell, old friend!

The Steinplatte does have more challenging skiing as well as its autobahns. First there is the Nordhang with quite a steep, un-pisted descent (steeper than it looks in this photo)...

And then the Steinplatte and the Winklmoosalm to a lesser extent both have quite large un-pisted areas, e.g. around the Schwarzlofer chairlift or as in this photo on the run down to the Stallenalm hut under the 3-seater Kammerkör chair...

Plenty to keep me happy for a day!

P.S. Forgot to say: good snow on piste, a bit chewed up off piste.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 27-01-12 21:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
breakdown wrote:
Never mind! 7 days left and it will be me on those slopes Very Happy

Should be good! Hope to see you around.
ski holidays
espri! are you still up for a meet if possable
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All is well here in Ischgl, getting a top up as I type, probably another 4 or 5 cms up top.

It's white out from Idalp up, -5dC.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Met deerman and friends of his today and skied over from Leogang into the Saalbach-Hinterglemm ski circus. I soon understood how the group had a BA link - they flew down the slopes, a good deal faster than my usual pace Very Happy Made for a great day's skiing, though it was cold at times. Pistes mostly quite hard (though it started to snow lightly just as we finished). Not as busy as last week.

After going up the Schattberg and skiing over to the Zwölferkogel, our guides took us somewhat off the beaten track and I saw bits of Hinterglemm that I hadn't skied before, going down to the Grabenhütte for lunch and then along a fun little track through these houses to get back over to the Zwölferkogel.

ski holidays
Hi, is anyone in the Zillertal Valley at the moment? Heading out to Pill next friday, hoping for some great conditions!
snow report
I had thought of skiing further afield today but, given the cold weather, decided to stay at home in case it was really too unpleasant. So I skied again in Fieberbrunn - and it was blooming cold (down in the valley I saw -13°C on my car thermometer). However, the snow was good, sqeaky and firm, and indeed the sun shone for part of the day. Luckily there was no wind but I still needed a face-mask and every other warming help. The photo is looking up from the middle station of the Streuböden lifts towards the Lärchfilzkogel. The easy fun-park is on the left alongside the lift (later I saw another area with much more serious jumps beside the Maiskopf T-bar).

Later on the haze which had hung around all day got thicker and gave quite atmospheric views which this photo, taken from beside the Lärchfilzhochalm and looking up to the bottom station of the Reckmoos Nord gondola, hardly does justice to. The mountain in the background is, I think, the Henne.

snow conditions
espri wrote:

Great pics as always, I remember skiing past those houses a few times a couple of weeks ago and then traversing at the end of the road over to the red gondola.
ski holidays
After a very cold day in Fieberbrunn on Monday, today I skied with friends from Leogang over to Saalbach and back - a real bluebird day. Pistes mostly pretty hard. Busy for the first lifts but the crowds spread out after that.

Here is a view over Saalbach towards the Schattberg from above the Turmwiese.

ski holidays
This may be a stupid question, but are any of the resorts better for sun than others. I had a tough zero vis week at New Year and will go again 11th March for a week. Need to get my confidence back and being able to see where I am going may help! Smile
Presumably the weather might be better in March anyway???...
latest report
Pilgrimage, Head south, maybe to resorts in to Carinthia, or the southern french alps I think there has more sun. But so far this season many resorts south of the alps have not had too much snow. Or make sure the resort is in the tree line, which most Austrian resorts are, so skiing below 1800m. Piste skiing where the piste are cut through the trees should offer decent vis even on overcast days, stay close to the piste edge for better contrast. Make sure you've good googles / glasses for low light conditions. http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/kaernten
snow conditions
Some more good advice Waynow - thanks.
I've only skiied Soll (in Austria) since in recent years (I skiied other Swiss resorts as a boy) and have skiied Switzerland twice since then.
Will want a good mix of ski/ apres on this trip though, so any further suggestions would be appreciated.
As second trip of the season we'll also be on a really tight budget - possibly looking for a last minute deal.
latest report
Resorts are often based on north-facing slopes (since they hold the snow better). It also means that they lie in the shadow for much of the day (at least early in the season). If the resort has south-facing slopes you may find the visibility on them better (though later in the season you may have to put up with soggy snow instead). You can use the picture of Saalbach above as an example. The slopes on the north side of the Glemmtal are in the sun but the (appropriately named) hill on the other side, the Schattberg, lies in the shade.
ski holidays
Pilgrimage, I'm a tad biased but any where within the ski amade network would be good. Somewhere like Flachau offers some lively apres ski and sits in the middle of the amade network. As espri, points out many ski slopes are north facing to keep the snow better though in march the sun will be a bit higher. Flachau offers east, south and west facing slopes so can follow the sun around a bit. Schladming, also in the amade area, offers the 4 linked ski hills, predominately north face skiing. http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter
latest report
Pilgrimage, I'm a tad biased but any where within the ski amade network would be good. Somewhere like Flachau offers some lively apres ski and sits in the middle of the amade network. As espri, points out many ski slopes are north facing to keep the snow better though in march the sun will be a bit higher. Flachau offers east, south and west facing slopes so can follow the sun around a bit. Schladming, also in the amade area, offers the 4 linked ski hills, predominately north face skiing. http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy