Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Freedom inserts & Quiver Killer inserts

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any experience on the Binding Freedom inserts and the Quiver Killer inserts? Are they safe and what is the difference between the two?

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crusader, Spyderjon will be along shortly Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crusader, have Quiver killers on 2 pairs of skis, work well, do what they say on the tin, and were fitted by the skilled hands of spyderjon so I know they are straight and are staying in!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All in here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1756561
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the link and very assuring that the Quiver Killer is a superb product.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found that the screws that come with the quiver killers are too soft to be taken in and out too many times, they seem to round off under the slightest pressure. All in all a grand idea, just needs tweaking
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DangerMouse13 wrote:
I found that the screws that come with the quiver killers are too soft to be taken in and out too many times, they seem to round off under the slightest pressure....

DangerMouse, did you get your QK's from me? I supply A2 grade stainless steel screws with the QK's I supply or install & I haven't had any such problems from over 200 customers. All my screws are to be used with a no.2 Pozi driver which is far more durable than a Philips. If they were from me just email me & I'll replace them FOC, providing you were using the correct driver wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, Not to sure where they came from, i fitted them for a friend! Generous offer tho thanks! I was using pozi.2 might have been slightly in the worn out side! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cant see them rounding off they would have to be over tightened or a bad bit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, can you mount two binding fitments to one ski or is that not recomended and do they go in the origonal screw holes Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, can you mount two binding fitments to one ski or is that not recomended and do they go in the origonal screw holes Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meandrew, yep, if the ski has already been mounted then the existing holes & enlarged slightly, tapped ready for the QK inserts to be epoxy'd in. If it's a new ski then the hole locations are pilot drilled & then the same process applied.

I've done loads of dual mounts on the same ski, usually to combine an alpine & touring binding, but how the mounting holes fall all depends on the combination of the specific bindings being used & your individual boot sole length. A couple of good combinations are Vist alpine bindings with Dynafits or the Duke/Barons binding combined with Dynafits, especially if the users BSL is on the short length for the large size Duke/Baron. If the user is prepared to compomise slightly on the fore/aft positioning on one of the bindings then that increases the possibilities. I've also done plenty of alpine/telemark combos.

I'll usually want 10mm seperation between inserts & will want to avoid a line of holes directly across the ski. If the user is heavy/aggressive/a hucker then I may want more spacing, although the compression strength of the stainless inserts is greater than that of the ski core it replaces. Pull-out tests done on the inserts showed that they're 40% stronger than a conventional binding screw mount. QK have had a big name pro freerider doing extensive 'hucking tests' & he'll be putting his name to the inserts for next season (can't say who at the moment) so I'm totally confident re their durability.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
is there anything you can do with jester and look px/touring binding as in is there anything that will go in the jester mount for touring?
i aint no hucker either x. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meandrew, tell me your BSL & I'll get back to you.

Alternatively, & if it's only sidecountry touring use you want then just get a Duke/Baron.

For anyone wanting the ultimate touring/downhill combo then a Dynafit & Look Pivot binding set-up is sweet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
is the duke/baron the same fitting as a jester/.
snow conditions
fingers crossed.
snow conditions
spyderjon, I'd also be interested in knowing about Baron small and jester with a 306 bsl
snow conditions
why would you put baron & jester onto the same ski? What does the jester do that the baron doesnt?
latest report
Mt wrote:
spyderjon, I'd also be interested in knowing about Baron small and jester with a 306 bsl

Mt, I can check it out but as kitenski says, why?
snow report
meandrew wrote:
is the duke/baron the same fitting as a jester/.

Sorry no.
snow report
We heard all the good feedback on the Quiver Killer. What about the Binding Freedom? I heard the Binding Freedom is easier to install and the insert is made of even stronger grade of steel.
http://youtube.com/v/DYUaW-MZ9QY
Any comment?
latest report
kitenski, spyderjon, stand height and I have a pair of jesters on my Kastle 187 MX108's and a Baron setup on my Kastle 178 MX98's. Shame
latest report
Crusader, AFAIK there's no difference in the materials used & they both have the same 5/16-18 outer thread & a rolled M5 inner thread. I've installed thousands of QK inserts & a few sets of BF's so I've experience with them both. They are effectively the same product with two differences between the BF & QK inserts:

1. the BF inserts have a slot in the top for screwdriver installation whereas with the QK inserts you use an installation screw with two locking nuts to fit the inserts. My concern with the BF is that if there's a burr on the slot from either manufacturer or raised by the screwdriver then it could interfere with the inner thread - although there were no such issues with the BF inserts I installed. With the BF inserts I'd want a snug driver blade fit in the slot to avoid raising a burr but to also reduce the insert wandering & getting cross threaded. If you use an installation screw you know that the inner thread is fine plus there's no chance of any excess glue getting in to the inner thread as the installation screw blocks it. Also as the installation screw is locked in to the insert it makes it a lot easier to ensure that the insert is vertical when you start to screw it in the ski, thus avoiding a crossed thread. If you do get a crossed thread then the slotted head on the BF makes for very easy removal. I've only had a few crossed threads with the QK's but it will always happen on the 1st-2nd revolution so there's plently of insert body available to unscrew the insert from the ski with a pair of thin nosed pliers.

IMO the slot in the BF insert is a solution to a problem that does not exist. I would happily spend my cash on the BF inserts but for these reasons I'd prefer to use an installation screw to fit them.

2. the QK inserts are 8.6mm long with an internal thread depth of 5.6mm. The BF inserts are a tad longer with an internal thread depth of 6mm. I don't know the exact length of the BF insert but it requires a 9.5mm depth drill whereas I use a 9mm for the QK so I would assume the BF insert is 0.5mm longer. In reality there is no difference although I've installed a few sets of QK inserts on short/thin section skis were I've had to grind down the base of the inserts on the two rear heelpiece screws & if I'd been using the BF insert I would have probably penetrated the inner thread.

The only other difference is for trade/volume installers in that QK offer a pro step drill & installation tool for use with a binding jig which not only speeds up the installation process but guarantees a vertical installation. These tools are made exclusively for QK by SVST so are of superb quality. The installation tool is a real sweet design as it has a tapered thread so locking nuts aren't required yet the tool will not bind in the insert.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 25-07-11 20:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Spyderjon, Many thanks for your detail clarification. Very Happy
latest report
Mt wrote:

Mt, sorry but that set-up clashes both on the front toe screws & the front heel screws when both bindings are aligned on the ski line. You'd need to move one of the bindings 15-20mm fore/aft to achieve the required seperation.
ski holidays
Hi Jon, I'm getting some new toys from whitedot and stockil. Of course I'm planning to bring them down to you for the necessary prep and binding, but I'm trying to work out binding setups. Can I use the vist flat binding and baron with the quiver killers?

The Kastle mx98's died over summer with one ski becoming banana shaped (WTF), which was bad enough but unfortunately Kastle have even worse customer service than Ryanair. Actually that's derogatory to Ryanair as at least they respond. So it's back to Stockli and the new Stormrider 95 and some preachers from whitedot. Can't wait.
ski holidays
Mt wrote:
......Can I use the vist flat binding and baron with the quiver killers?.....

Mt, let me know your BSL & baron size (small or large) & I'll check out the hole locations for possible conflicts.

Whilst the Vist are great bindings the Barons are also an excellent alpine binding so apart from the slight weight reduction I can't see the benefit of removing the Barons to replace them with Vists. The Barons would also give you some usefull stack height on the Stockli's. I'd recommend having the WhiteDot's & the Stockli's set up with QK's to share the one pair of Barons. Depending on which Whitedot's you're going fro you might need another pair of Baron brakes.

And then we could add another set of QK's to your WhiteDots for Dynafits Cool
snow report
The Barons are small. The only reason i am thinking about the vist's is I have a couple of sets and some lasers and vxl's already mounted with speed lock plates, so even if the forecast didn't look good for powder i could chuck a pair of fatter skis in the bag just in case.

I keep on looking a Dynafits and they just look so delicate I can't believe they can be that secure/strong. I know people rave about them, its just a perception thing so i'll have to try some.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy