Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free Accomodation, Free skiing, for the 2012 Season -Swiss Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Wow this sounds incredible! Do you do this every year? Unfortunately I am still a student so wouldnt be able to do this for full season until I graduate but I do get 4-5 weeks off for christmas and easter so would love an opportunity like this if you ever needed help at these busier times. Please do get in touch if this is something you consider or even just to let me know if you think you will be doing this next year? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

to you maybe

to anybody; it's a simple enough calculation. But a smokescreen is a wonderful thing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pcurran871, Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I never tire of the vitriol and bitterness this thread attracts Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apparently Jimmy Carr has applied.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pcurran871 wrote:
Wow this sounds incredible! Do you do this every year?

Yes every year , and every year we get some really positive responses, and some really negative ones.
I might point out that we are looking for a couple, and also for the whole season.

This years offer may include more than one location but I am still working out the details.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

This years offer may include more than one location but I am still working out the details.

And as usual I shall give you notice that this should be agreed with Dadmin *before* you post it here. I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying it's Admin's call.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

for others spending a sesaon in switzerland with good company and little to do apart from ski is priceless.

Hard to argue with that snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a real job actually in a ski resort, The famous Oxygene ski school is recruiting all levels of staff at the moment.

Full details here:
http://www.oxygene-ski.com/ski-school-jobs.htm

or if you desire to be an instructor there is "Guranteed employment" with the snowHeads favourite Pro Neige Val Thorens... http://formationski.prosneige.fr/english/

If you fancy just a few weeks work some snowHeads do this regularly..
http://www.interski.co.uk/employment.php

and of course the ski company with the most snowHeads log ins...

http://www.jobsinwinter.co.uk/crystal/

and lots more choice here

Worth a repeat I guess ...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 16-07-12 8:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

for others spending a sesaon in switzerland with good company and little to do apart from ski is priceless.

Hard to argue with that snowHead

Oh I guarantee some snowheads will try, they will even try and get the moderators to assist, I have yet to fathom their motivation.

I look at it this way.

For me a true snowhead is defined by am insatiable thirst for winter, spending a season on the slopes is the ultimate goal by whatever means available.
Some of us find better ways of doing it year after year till eventually living and breathing it.
Perhaps more by luck than judgement, I am a long way down that road, I get a lot of ski time, and now I found a way for me to help others get more ski time too.
The surprise is that it turns out that by helping a couple of others to get more ski time, they end up helping me get more ski time.
This year I am honestly tempeted to help more.

Kat.ryb this is what I find priceless - is that by helping others get some snow time, I become some kind of lightning rod for all those who seen to have lost the original plot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I quite like the sound of this. Seems a fair deal. Why all the complaints? Is the internet high speed? Can I use the phone?

gift horse and all that.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I was to employ locals to clean toilets and cook etc , could I still do the deal?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blahblahblah wrote:
If I was to employ locals to clean toilets and cook etc , could I still do the deal?

Sure.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blahblahblah wrote:
I quite like the sound of this. Seems a fair deal. Why all the complaints? Is the internet high speed? Can I use the phone?

gift horse and all that.

1 Dont Know
2 1Mbit. so medium
3. We give you your own Pay as you go mobile, you can use it as much as you like. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

And as usual I shall give you notice that this should be agreed with Dadmin *before* you post it here. I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying it's Admin's call.

nbt, no it isn't...

Admin isn't the internet police, nor does he ever make a call on whether a thread should be posted before it is posted.
The Snowheads themselves tend to react in our own special way.

IMO it is much healthier to have a nice open thread with +'s and -'s as it makes the applicants consider both sides.
latest report
I'm probably with Dav, on this. Seems like a more than reasonable proposition so why the vitriol.

It undoubtedly is Admin's house though but he generally takes a very benign and hands off approach, especially for a 'general contributor' if not overly commercial.
snow report
nixmap wrote:
and now I found a way for me to help others get more ski time too.

The surprise is that it turns out that by helping a couple others to get more ski time, they end up helping me get more ski time.
This year I am honestly tempeted to help more.

Kat.ryb this is what I find priceless - is that by helping others get some snow time, I become some kind of lightning rod for all those who seen to have lost the original plot.

Oh mine, not just free, lot of "help" too! rolling eyes
snow conditions
wigan wrote:
Can anybody explain to me (briefly!) what's the big problem people always have with this deal (have not followed previous year's threads)? Puzzled

Sure it's probably not as good a deal as it sounds when you count up Days Working v. Days not Working (as it's not just weekends, it all the xmas and 1/2 term as well, plus probably some long weekends). But I guess its still more time off than a paid 6 day a week chalet role. Said paid roles obviously pay, but not a lot, and don't have the nicest living spaces - So if some people are willing to take this deal of no pay, but work a bit less, and live somewhere nicer, then what's the issue? Am I missing some big tax/insurance dodge or something?

I'm with Wigan on this. If I was retired or could give up work for a winter season, I'd give it some serious consideration. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

nbt, no it isn't...

Admin isn't the internet police, nor does he ever make a call on whether a thread should be posted before it is posted.
The Snowheads themselves tend to react in our own special way.

flangesax,

Yes it is. Admin's site, admin's rules. Nixie's been warned before
ski holidays
 cran
cran
If there is no cost (apart from beer and new skis) then it seems a fairly good deal to me, 5 days free skiing per week for 2 days hosting a chalet.

Working for a TO you get paid next to nothing and work more than 2 days.

Even something better paid like a transfer driver that gives you a lot of ski time in the week doesn't really earn much money after you have paid for everything.

Does it include food and a ski pass?
ski holidays
nbt, I must have missed that!...
Chuck us a link to that warning.. I obviously need to get up to date!
snow conditions
cran wrote:
If there is no cost (apart from beer and new skis) then it seems a fairly good deal to me, 5 days free skiing per week for 2 days hosting a chalet.
Does it include food and a ski pass?

Hosting is not really how I would describe it, I dont think there are any set rules about taking breaskfast orders, or which days you ski.
On powder days , we try our best to make sure that everyone skis, eventually my kids get tired or bored and somone volunteers to go home with them and gets on with preparing for the evening.
Sometimes thats us, sometimes guests sometimes you guys,. Not everyone has the energy to ski powder all day - and equally not everyone wants to get up that early just for a foot of new snow. Given the fact that you are up here all week and us only the weekends, you might expect we get given some preference, but it doesnt always turn out that way.

As we all live here, I guess we just dont get as frantiic as 1 week holiday makers chasing the last snowflake from dawn to dusk.

In general it just turns out that many hands make light work, with everyone skiing together, working together and really having a good time.

What you eat and drink your own time is your own business, if you eat with us and every one else thenI would find it a little strange to expect you to pay for that. Of course most times guests bring plenty with them too.

As I have said many times, it is not a job, and trying to compare it to commercial operators doesnt really make a lot of sense.

N
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
nbt, I must have missed that!...
Chuck us a link to that warning.. I obviously need to get up to date!

The 2011 thread got terminated, as after a point I got a little annoyed with some antagaonistic behaviour and, accusations of a commercial post.

See this thread.

The whole commercial aspect was discussed in great detail Smile
Although its still not quite clear to me what is commercial, and what is not - considering that plenty of people do tout for business here, eventualy I lost the plot and made some equally inappropraite comments for which I apologise.

Honestly, my view remains is that this is a great place for snow enthusiasts to help each other, which is exactly what I think Im doing.
Some disagree, and seem to be intent on ruining it. I think its sad they are allowed to hijack such worthy endeavours.
Still our forum is what we make of it, so for the moment I am not giving up for the sake of a small minority.

N
latest report
 cran
cran
Don't forget that you are only allowed to stay in Switzerland as a visitor for 90 days in any 180 day period...

Anyone staying more than 90 days needs a residency permit and also must have medical and accident insurance (about 250 Swiss Francs per month for the cheap ones).

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/aufenthalt.html
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/bfm/en/home/themen/aufenthalt/eu_efta/ausweis_l_eu_efta.html

Not sure if you are 'employing' or not, but If you employ someone more than 8 hours a week then you have to provide their accident insurance.

In summary, if someone does the whole season (more than 90 days) then they need a permit and about £800 worth of accident and medical insurance each.
ski holidays
cran, Shhhhh, as for the residency permit lets just keep it a forum secret regarding the fantastic offer once again from nixmap. Im gutted that i cant make it this year ( i did the season with the family 4 years ago and loved it) Ive got an even better offer this year working in Tignes for a well known British skier who needs someone to carry their ski's to and from the lifts in the morning. I also have to ski with them all day every day, carrying them to and from the mountain restaurants. How lazy can some people get!!! Everything is paid for except my alcohol, what planet are some people on ffs! Puzzled
snow report
 cran
cran
Ricklovesthepowder, No free alcohol... what are you thinking!!? Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

what planet are some people on ffs!

Puzzled what are you on Ricklovesthepowder?
ski holidays
pam w, I think nicksouls has broken into RLTP account.

Last year manc boy admitted he had never skied in powder, and we all know that nixy lives in powder central, so no chance.

Also nixmaps wants people who can cook and clean.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I honestly don't see why this guy gets all the negative crap thrown at him. Is he asking for a qualified ski instructor or a Michelin * chef, NO. So what really is the big deal, T.O. Reps work all hours 6 days a week every week and live in damp rooms the size of a broom cupboard and all they get in the way in renummerance is pocket money at best.

The way I see it, if you don't need the pocket money and want to do a season on the cheap, what's the problem, furthermore I guess the Op is looking for someone of more mature years who will not need the pocket money, rather than an obnoxious youth on a gap year (apologies in advance for stereotyping). TBH if my personal circumstances meant I could take this offer up I would be interested.
snow conditions
nixmap,

Flights booked, maybe see you at Christmas snowHead
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:
pam w, I think nicksouls has broken into RLTP account.

Last year manc boy admitted he had never skied in powder, and we all know that nixy lives in powder central, so no chance.

RLTP had a different approach in 2010,
Everyone has a fair chance.
ski holidays
musher wrote:
nixmap,

Flights booked, maybe see you at Christmas snowHead

Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy