Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free Accomodation, Free skiing, for the 2012 Season -Swiss Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Well its that time of year again folks. Midsummer and time to start dreaming of 2012.

If you like the idea of living in a chalet and skiing all season, but dont like the idea of working a six days a week, you might find this offer interesting, which has proved popular for the last 3 years.

We are a private family of 4 living in Switzerland, we have a private chalet that we only use on the weekends and swiss school holidays.

We would like to find a couple of helpful volunteers to help look after it (and us) for the winter season, not just as house keepers but people who love to ski as well.

Simply speaking, that means helping out on weekends and in turn getting the rest of the week for yourselves to ski or whatever.

The chalet is in a well known resort in central Switzerland. Local Skiing (70 km sq) is literaly 50 yards from your door. Other famous ski areas such as Engleberg, Wengen, Grindlewald, Murren , Gstaad, Andermatt,Adelboden are within easy reach.

Accomodation is inside the chalet in a fully segregated 2.5 room appartment.
and at your disposal. During the week of course you can use the full facilities of the chalet when it is empty.

Typically we would arrive most weekends on a friday night, and leave Sunday evening. We would expect you to help with regular household chores, cooking, cleaning, occasional child minding (ages 6 and 9) , ski teaching, and other helpful activities ensuring a stress free weekend. In return you get a whole week to do what you like. (Ski).

Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load, but not a disaster.
Im pleased to say that even on the busiest weekends mostly there is time enough for everyone to get on the slope - sometimes together - sometimes not.. heres a flavour of last season

We would like to hear from genuine applicants, preferably a couple, naturally you should be capable of doing all tasks above without difficulty.
I would like to make clear this is not a job offer, there are plenty of Tour operators offering 6 working day week jobs in commercial chalets, if that is what you are looking for.

Plenty more information can be provided on request for genuine applicants, I will do my best to answer most questions in thread to save repetition.
Or you can PM me if you wish to remain private.

There is always a fair size response to this thread, but generally I try to respond to every application.

Thanks
Nix.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stopping in tonight best entertainment to be had right here Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nixmap, interesting that every year you have to advertise for new staff/helpers - so, none of the previous years members are willing to do it a second year?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro wrote:
so, none of the previous years members are willing to do it a second year?

Where's the fun (for nixmap and the rest of us) in that?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll break the bad news to my wife and kids tonight, when do I start?! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gets popcorn in microwave. So you're generously providing a free lift pass this year or is Meirengen such a paradise it doesn't charge for lifts?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Gets popcorn in microwave. So you're generously providing a free lift pass this year or is Meirengen such a paradise it doesn't charge for lifts?

???? Yes of course. Always have done.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two days a week work in exchance for acomm and lift pass? Bummer rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
Two days a week work in exchance for acomm and lift pass? Bummer rolling eyes

Yes well, spending the whole season skiiing isnt for everyone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Effectively bumming (for the majority of the season anyway), without having to stump up a wodge of cash for accomm. Seems a good deal to me...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try advertising at www.natives.co.uk
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This thread is like the good ole days with The Perishers, and the annual pilgrimage to the seaside and Boot staring in at the "Crabs in the Rock-Pool". I can set my calendar by it.

You know its going to be funny.
You know its going to upset some people.
Yet, you can't help but watch the car crash.

Popcorn ordered. Settling in for the ride.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can anybody explain to me (briefly!) what's the big problem people always have with this deal (have not followed previous year's threads)? Puzzled

Sure it's probably not as good a deal as it sounds when you count up Days Working v. Days not Working (as it's not just weekends, it all the xmas and 1/2 term as well, plus probably some long weekends). But I guess its still more time off than a paid 6 day a week chalet role. Said paid roles obviously pay, but not a lot, and don't have the nicest living spaces - So if some people are willing to take this deal of no pay, but work a bit less, and live somewhere nicer, then what's the issue? Am I missing some big tax/insurance dodge or something?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll, I used to love the Perishers. Inch thick ketchup sandwiches anyone ? Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wigan wrote:
Can anybody explain to me (briefly!) what's the big problem people always have with this deal

IMHO its that someone is getting something for nothing and its not them!
snow report
wigan wrote:
Sure it's probably not as good a deal as it sounds when you count up Days Working v. Days not Working

Working Days? Goodness, Its surely not even a days work for one person when we are there - let alone 2 people,
In practice we mostly end up skiing together until someone gets tired, or bored
ski holidays
If you need anyone for 2014 then sign me up! wink Unfortunately I doubt university would let me count this as a placement so ill have to wait until im finished Sad Twisted Evil
ski holidays
wigan, I haqve followed other years threads and I still think it is a good deal. The OP usually finds someone, and I say good luck to them. I'd do it if I were in the right position to do so.
snow conditions
Megamum,

I'm kind of with you on this.nixmap, does get a hard time on here but he comes back year after year.

So what is he looking for, well he hasn't asked for a qualified chef or a registerd nanny or even a tradesman to maintain the chalet, no none of these things, just a couple to be in residence during the week and help out when they are there. So personally I don't think it is too bad a deal and when you think about which couple are going to be in the situation to be able to take up the offer. Well I reckon typically it would be a couple who are semi retired, have no financial commitments or dependant children and also have a few quid behind them (not wealthy or they wouldn't do it). And you know what if nixmap started taking the micky out of these people and treated them like the "hired" hand, then I reckon he would turn up one Friday and the chalet would be empty as the typical couple I have described would not put up with it.

So the gig is was it is and as long as both parties know what is expected from the off then whats the problem, but it certainly aint going to suit everyone.
latest report
I think some of the paid for advertisers on snowHeads fail to understand why the sites owners allow such free advertising threads.
Some pay good money to advertise on snowHeads IFIRC this ad was swiftly chucked out of Natives after being seen for what it is.
snow report
I think some of the paid for advertisers on snowHeads fail to understand why the sites owners allow such free advertising threads.
Some pay good money to advertise on snowHeads IFIRC this ad was swiftly chucked out of Natives after being seen for what it is.
But hey ho such is the imperfect world of snowHeads control.
snow report
boredsurfin, Who likes perfect anyway snowHead .
snow conditions
Kel, Sweet Laughing Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 26-06-11 9:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Kel, As ever it's all about the money. Free advertising and labour v. Paid for work from legal companies V. freeloaders and spongers. The Swiss / UK taxman will catch up with the latter sooner or later.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, OK, I can see your point. Like I said in my post, it aint going to suit everyone. . Don't know about the taxman bit though, I am sure whoever takes it up could be classed as house geusts.

Anyway I got up to mow the lawn before it starts raining, not talk about nixmap, and an unpaid post I have no intention of taking up.
snow report
Kel, Megamum, I think the annual "let's bait nixmap" is vaguely amusing, but now it is getting boring with the same old people making the same old digs every year. I think he is offering a good deal to someone, lucky for both of them. As I'm not in a position to take him up on the deal, I wish both eventual parties well. I would jump at the chance were it in any way possible, but I have to have paid work to pay for my flat Sad

What I still find odd is the snowHeads policy that some can advertise "ad infinitum, ad nauseum", yet other paid-up snowHeads were reprimanded for having some subtle links. The most "pimping" came from satisfied customers as far as I could see. This thread gets knocked for the same purpose, but no one seems to be making any profit from it, unlike some of the worse pimpers. Puzzled
latest report
For those new to snow heads, The nixmap-ski-for-free thread is an annual ritual, without which snow will not come to the Alps. Basically, the thread title seems a teensy bit misleading, in that it's a barter deal (if I understand it right). If you wish to go back to the start of time, I think we first became aware of snowheads here.
ski holidays
achilles, I know the history but still fail to see why some people are driven to be so critical. I can only, sadly assume it is envy Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What gets me is the "oh the taxman will catch up with this scam" attitude. (already on show above).

FFS. And then you complain that petty bureaucracy is taking over your life.
snow report
how many pages will it run to this year wink
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, dunno, though envy hadn't occurred to me.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
I think some of the paid for advertisers on snowHeads fail to understand why the sites owners allow such free advertising threads......

Owners? Used to be one owner only. You know something I don't?
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, and even some with nothing to gain whatsoever, other than offering folks a good time, still get 'done' for pimping!
ski holidays
Megamum, are you still going on about the BBQ? Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Samerberg Sue, and even some with nothing to gain whatsoever, other than offering folks a good time, still get 'done' for pimping!

MegamumNot forgetting the good time you offer also includes a contribution to the snowHeads owner. It is indeed a strange 'policy' that allows free advertising every year for this one.
snow conditions
I can't even read the posts for laughing at the OP Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

The most "pimping" came from satisfied customers as far as I could see.
If only some of nixmap's satisfied customers (employees, guests, call them what you will) were to post here and tell everybody what a lovely time they had, that would go along way to defusing this long-standing argument. Where are they all? I too would apply like a shot, by the way, if I spoke decent German and had the slightest qualification or inclination to teach ankle-biters - who probably ski better than I do anyway - to ski.

Please permit me to indulge my newly-minted identity: the expression is ad nauseam. Thank you so much. Toofy Grin
latest report
The thing about this thread is that I don't think the OP gets any more benefit from the deal than the people that eventually take on the role - if anything I think the people taking on the role are the gainers in the deal. I don't think this is a profit and loss scenario therefore I don't see the problem.
latest report
Me neither.

So more importantly who is/was Pedantica,?
And while we're at it I've not figured out Alans deep bath, yet either.
snow report
achilles, I don't think that the title is misleading at all. Free Accommodation, Free Skiing -that's what's on offer. Like all good adverts it gives only the benefits.

What you have to do to gain those benefits is left for you to establish.

When was the last time you read an advert which also included the negatives? "Fresh cream cakes... Naughty but nice" is about as close as as I can recall.

Can you imagine something like..."Coke is the real thing" - but it also has 5 teaspoons of sugar in every can.

Maybe, in these days of Summer, we could start a thread of alternative, honest advertising slogans.

I'll start.

Fat, chavvy, lazy mums go to Iceland - Note: the packaging of our new, value frozen pizza has more nutritional value than the pizza.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy