Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis should I be looking at?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skier is 15 yrs old, approx 6ft tall and 10 stone in old money. Very competent on piste without being advanced level. That's because at the moment on piste he is too interested in "just going fast" to be interested in the finer points like control, proper carving turns, upper body placement and proper pole plants. He can do them but he's just too teenagery and lazy to persist.

However, the kid is sportsmad - football, cricket, rugby - competitive and cannot help himself but rise to the challenge of learning whatever new sports skill is needed.

My theory is he's getting bored on piste and now is a good time to wake him up to the potential of deep and steep (ish) so he will learn the value of good control (especially after a few decent head plants), a wide skill set, including backcountry nous and some big mountain lurve. When I have taken him into the off piste side country, he really starts concentrating and gets right amongst it - at least for a few turns before he goes down.

Currently, he's skiing a pair of inherited, five (6?)-year-old Atomic carving piste skis 177cm. I can't remember the exact model but there appears to be a fair bit of lead used in their construction. They are without a doubt the heaviest skis I have ever lifted, a right old pair of tanks and stiff enough to be really a little beyond his optimum turning power most of the time. Given his age, I don't think these are necessarily all bad things for him to learn to contend with and in fact, I think he does damn good just to keep upright when off piste.

However, I'd like to get him on a new/second hand pair of skis to help bump him up a level and which will also show him the delights of off piste. I'd like to see him on something fatter, longer, softer and most definitely lighter. I guess it's some sort of transition off-piste, on-piste model I'm after.

I've got some ideas but any advice/tips/suggestions out there from the vast snowHeads data base would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest Pocket rockets, in a 175 ish length - I think they might be branded as Salomon Gun now? I bought a pair in 165 and they did wonders for my skiing - but not as much as lessons, or following better skiiers through trees and off piste on them in North America
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2116/products/volkl_ac10_skis.aspx
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Paua, Hey mate, i'm about to sell off the Whitedot ex demos as they get replaced every season. I'm sure there are some 173 or 180 Ones that may suit. PM if you're interested.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dynastar Sultan 85.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or Legend 8000, which would probably be cheaper second hand.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
figg4, I wouldn't normally comment on someone's suggestion - we all have different views. However, what you've offered-up is so far from the brief as to suggest you have a vested interest.

Quote:
The AC10 skis are aimed at beginners and intermediates who are looking to purchase their first pair of skis having rented a couple of times or for those who do not go full pelt down the reds and blacks, but would like a more leisurely ski.

The kid is already a hooner on-piste and it sounds likeBig Paua is looking for a mid fat, all mountain transition ski, longer than 177.

I'd suggest maybe a twin tip like the Scott Punishers 182. Good all round ski and he'll think they're cool.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weight is a key issue here remember. 10st is not heavy enough to get good performance out of stiff skis or I'd have offered to sell him my gladiators - however as I at 11st have trouble with them on hardpack, there's no way a lighter kid with less interest in working the skis to get control will get a good performance out of them
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big Paua, your lad sounds a little like mine when he was 15. We went for Scott Crusade 179 and they really helped great on piste and very good off, plus they are really fun to freestyle on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Punishers are a very good shout actually.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for pointers, all.

Mr Whitedot has made me an offer on some ex-demo Ones I couldn't refuse. Being a Preacher man myself, how could I say no?

I'm taking the 180s which some would say is a tad long but I think the lad still has some growing to do and anything will be better than the "tanks". (The fact that the demo bindings mean I can take a turn on them now and then had nothing to do with my decision wink - does this mean I have a One and a half ski quiver now?).

Interesting that three votes for the Scotts came up. I've been intrigued by that brand for sometime and would like to check them out myself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Paua, Those skis have been very well taken care of.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big Paua, the 180s ski short enough that they'll be fine, good shout!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big Paua wrote:
However, the kid is sportsmad - football, cricket, rugby - competitive and cannot help himself but rise to the challenge of learning whatever new sports skill is needed.

As you're in "sarf London" get him a pair of 2nd hand slalom skis (155cm long...no longer) and send him along to Bromley or Bowles. He'll find plenty of competition and challenge in the gates of a slalom course - and he'll discover that getting the technique right does actually achieve something. He will have a bit of catching up to do though as, while there are some late starters, by 15 most kids will have been racing at least 3-4 years and some will have been doing it for 10 years. It's really fun when it goes right too (and you could have a go yourself as well Wink ).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Big Paua, Agree with GrahamN, A more worthwhile investment by far- looking at the bigger picture even more reason to!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy