Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 questions...

Poster: A snowHead
kevindonkleywood wrote:

We should behave professionally, have the relevant qualifications, ski like professionals and have a real passion to improve the clients performance. If we decide to make large sums of money doing so is irrelevant.

Hear, hear!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking at it from a different perspective, it would be nice if more people learning and wanting to improve their skiing, would do a little research and reading regarding skiing technigue.

Most sports have magazines and websites on how to improve. Showing the why's and reasons for doing certain actions. Those participating in lessons often read these mags etc, and have a certain basic understanding.

You only have to look at all the Golf mags giving instruction. When a pupil turns up for a Golf Lesson, most have a basic understanding.

From what i've seen, there are a lot fewer skiiers reading up, and understanding simple basics. I often think there should be more instruction in British Ski Mags...Just an observation...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud, I'm sure that there are some factions of the instructing industry that would say that its a waste of time as anything in a magazine/book is too generic to apply to an individuals specific development points.

I don't entirely agree as I think something well written and presented can resonate as well as anything an instructor tells you (& I speak as someone whose primary source of telemark aide memoires is Allen & Mike's cartoon book much to the frustration of qualified teachers who I'm not good at listening to rolling eyes ). I also agree that its not difficult on tinternet to acquaint yourself with any number of articles on how skis actually work and any number of clips of people skiing decently so if you are honest you can identify your ability gaps in targetting an instructor. Doesn't mean that those who primarily see it as a holiday will prepare themselves anymore than I'd study volleyball technique before a week at a Club Med (not that I've ever been... all that French espirit de corps etc).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 9-06-11 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I understand where you're coming from, but as for instruction through magazines or books, then i think there is a severe lack of quality reading for the British market.

Most books and magazine articles, are presented in a very old fashioned way, look boring and are not inviting to read.

You only have to look at Golf as an example...All books and magazines have instruction, many from Top leading Professionals and Teachers. Presented in an exciting manner.

I'm really suprised that more noted Professionals in the Sport of Skiing, have not put their names to books or magazine articles.

'Ski the Chemmy way'...' Do it like Bell'... etc,etc...you get the gist. I think there is a huge gap in the market for this.

Look at the Daily Mail Ski mag... what a waste of space that mag has become. Surely they have the nouse to make it interesting for a change. Some of their instruction articles are archaic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DMSS has usually an instructor from whatever resort has given them the biggest bung showing the average DMSS reader how to do a "sick grind" etc. Mags are a waste of space re technique - there are plenty of decent books though - I like Mark Elling's All Mountain Skier and I've a short Sally Chapman that's not total garbage. Neil McNab's on snowboarding is very good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spud, there's normally an article by Mark Jones in the SCGB mag - sometimes it's good, sometimes a bit wishy-washy - but only ever a couple of pages. There's also normally something on fitness. But they're overwhelmed by advertorials and ski pr0n.

The problem in comparing skiing with something like golf/tennis etc., is that the latter are considered sports whereas the former (for the vast majority, even here) are hobbies/pastimes you do for one or a few weeks a year, have a good time, and then talk about it for the remaining 50ish weeks of the year. Very few of us actually do the week-in-week-out practice that amateur golfers/tennis-players do. So that's a very different mind-set. Even those who want to make technical improvements are more of the "magic bullet" than the hard graft school. How many here are regulars (and by that I mean more than a couple of hours every couple of months) at their local dry-slope/snowdome? Now take away those that are instructors/coaches? Not many left - even on a skiing forum! Books, and now DVDs like those from BASI, Warren Smith or FastMan, can give you an idea (sometimes a very good one) of what you should be trying for, if you're properly interested, but can't do anything if you don't put the practice hours in.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seriously tempted to take on the BASI lvl 1 myself this year. I spoke to someone at my local fridge a few months ago on it and they said it's around £450 to do it, with a 5 day course.

Is that price pretty normal or does it tend to differ and therefore worth shopping around?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simmy, Hemel charge £460 plus £45 if you need to register your membership with BASI. This includes the 5-day course and the liftpass for the week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Simmy, despite BASI making it hard to find (IMHO) the L1 courses and prices are here

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-level-1-course.aspx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Guys, glad I came across this post on my first hit. Booked up for a L1 Alpine Instructors Course at Hemel starting monday week (20 June) . Cost was £505 as a non member.
Anyone else booked for that date? When I booked up last wednesday (8 June), they said they had four places left with a maximum of 20 delegates.
Having read Wayne's & little tiger's posts I would like to say that at 63 years of age my mind is well and truly set to try for the L1 qualification. I would also appreciate feedback from those who have already completed the course. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr No, did mine last year so either ask me on here or send a pm and i'll try to help Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Curtains wrote:
Dr No, did mine last year so either ask me on here or send a pm and i'll try to help Smile

Greetings Curtains thanks for your response. It's the videoing bit that I'm dreading. I always try and steer clear of videos like the plague. Because I know deep down that I'm not as good as I would like to think I am Happy). It was some years back when Phil Smith filmed me skiing - it then showed that I was not completing my turns. But since then my skiing has somewhat advanced in technique but I've probably picked up a few sloppy habits on the way. What I'm wondering is will the instructor strive to rip my style to pieces and attempt to teach me to ski the BASI way in order to implement this 'Central Theme' they talk about.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr No,

I was worried like you, they wont rip into you, they will give you demonstrations and drills before you get caught on film, I dreaded it but when I played it back I looked better than I thought.

They will tell you if it is the standard that would gain a pass, if you dont reach the standard they take you back and practice with drills until you reach the standard Smile , they are helpfull and want people to pass.

Thats my finding but thats only one Basi course it may be different for others

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 12-06-11 19:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
curtains, many thanks for putting my mind at rest.
snow conditions
Dr No, Welcome to snowheads......you can never leave Very Happy

You will be fine. the BASI trainers are very good and even if you wanted to treat the week as one just to develop your own skiing you would enjoy it.

PM me if you have any specific questions
snow report
Dr No, welcome to SNowheads, and good luck with the course!
ski holidays
Dr No, If you are prepared to work at what they want you to change and make changes; you'll be OK; As you are booked in at Hemel; you should have a "magic" pass so you can stay after the end of the course to practicec (My guys who have done their B1 at Hemel were always allowed extra time to practice outside core course hours).
snow report
I've just taken the plunge and booked BASI 1 at Hemel. I'm booked on the October course. Prices as quoted above.

So now I've got 4 months to work on my technique and fitness.
latest report
Spud9, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Spud9, you don't have to be that fit. I suppose that's a subjective comment, but with that said it certainly wouldn't be a waste in case you decide to do your L2 afterwards which is quite a step up from the L1.

I passed my L1 after I'd been skiing 9 weeks so it's easily achieveable if you do what they say.
snow report
Spud9 wrote:
I've just taken the plunge and booked BASI 1 at Hemel. I'm booked on the October course. Prices as quoted above.

So now I've got 4 months to work on my technique and fitness.

If you want some help at Hemel just give me a shout, no charge.
latest report
Dr No,

Mounta1nGoat and I are booked for July. Not sure if we're ready or if I will survive but it should be an interesting week.
snow report
Spud9, good luck!

Re fitness, I think how much training you need to do depends on your base level of fitness. You want to be fit enough so that you don't get tired / too sore later in the course and it adversely affects your performance.
snow conditions
Do folk think you need to be doing some actual skiing before an l1 to get ski muscles working or just fitness work??
latest report
kitenski, Practising Central Theme would be my advice. The course isn't that physically demanding, but the fitter you are the better obviously.
latest report
Spud9, anarchicsaltire, Mounta1nGoat, fantastic. Very best of luck. I definitely don't want to teach - as I have no aptitude for it - so hadn't even considered trying to do L1, but someone said to me the other day that it's worth doing just to improve one's skiing.
Puzzled
ski holidays
Hurtle, I think you should have a go. It's incredibly cost effective for what the course offers, even if it's only used to improve your skiing. Work the cost out per hour, all spent with a BASI trainer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anarchicsaltire, Likewise if you and MountainGoat want a session before the course, just let me know.
snow conditions
kitenski, actual skiing i better, but fitness work better than nothing.
ski holidays
Hey, guys.. Sorry for the long pause. I would like to thank you all for all the useful advice you gave me about my L1 course. I know some of you posters insist it's a doddle - but it's easy to say that after successfully completing the course... After reading the L1 Instructors Training manual, it seems to me far from a doddle.
VolklAttivaS5 Attaining L1 after only 9 weeks skiing, wow! I've got 150 skiing weeks under my belt, so Phil Smith & Ali Ross roll over Skullie
snow report
Best I know of was a friend who completed BASI L1 after only 4 weeks of skiing.

I did mine after about 12 weeks, I felt I was fine for the technical aspect (which is not very advanced) but the "central theme", snow ploughing to the correct technique etc I found more challenging.
ski holidays
Spud9, anarchicsaltire, Mounta1nGoat, I assume you received a letter of confirmation from the Snow Centre? Included in that letter is a recommendation to attend pre-training sessions with a BASI qualified instructor. These sessions take place on Tuesday evenings 7pm-9pm at a cost of £39.00. I attended one last Tuesday and musehead, we practiced the dreaded snow plough.
Anyway I begin the course tomorrow - will it be the classroom or the slope we start off with?
snow report
Dr No wrote:
will it be the classroom or the slope we start off with?
I think they typically start of with a bit of time in the classroom to give an overview of the week and start off with some of the theory work you will get to grips with before the end of the course. Probably not more than an hour though.

Have fun on the course Happy
snow conditions
Dr No, Not had a letter, better give them a ring!
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Dr No wrote:
will it be the classroom or the slope we start off with?
I think they typically start of with a bit of time in the classroom to give an overview of the week and start off with some of the theory work you will get to grips with before the end of the course. Probably not more than an hour though.

Have fun on the course Happy

Thanks, rob@rar. That's the reply I was hoping for Smile
ski holidays
Dr No, At 63 your a youngster compared to this one! She is 90 and still instructing away Very Happy
http://youtube.com/v/g3VRDM4rKXs goes to show your never to old, I hope i am still instructing in 67 years haha Very Happy
snow report
Spyderman, kevindonkleywood, VolklAttivaS5, beanie1, Hurtle, Dr No, Thanks for the support guys, and the feedback. I need to lose some weight (well quite a lot actually) and build some fitness anyway, so having BASI 1 looming in October is good for concentrating the mind and forcing me to actually get into the gym/lay off the booze.

And thanks for the offer of assistance Spyderman. I get down to Hemel quite regularly, and have a few training sessions lined up already, so hopefully I won't need to take you up on your kind offer.

anarchicsaltire, I'll be really interested in knowing how you get on as I know how you ski. It'll be good to have another benchmark.
snow conditions
Dr No wrote:

VolklAttivaS5 Attaining L1 after only 9 weeks skiing, wow! I've got 150 skiing weeks under my belt, so Phil Smith & Ali Ross roll over Skullie

That's 150 weeks of (potentially) bad habits to correct Happy

One person on my L1 course (a couple of years ago) passed the course ... yet, she had only started skiing the year before and had never skied outside of a snow dome. Never set foot on real snow, never used a chairlift, never skied in a blizzard or had to cope with the challenges of Jagermeister. Doing the simple things the "BASI" way at a good consistent standard is what it's all about.
latest report
[quote="smithski
One person on my L1 course (a couple of years ago) passed the course ... yet, she had only started skiing the year before and had never skied outside of a snow dome. Never set foot on real snow, never used a chairlift, never skied in a blizzard or had to cope with the challenges of Jagermeister. Doing the simple things the "BASI" way at a good consistent standard is what it's all about.[/quote]

Well, that's why BASI 1 does not qualify someone to teach in the 'mountain environment'. Personally I'm going to do BASI 1 to improve my skiing fundamentals and see whether I'm interested in taking the whole instructor thing further. I certainly won't be going around telling everyone I'm a ski instructor with just a BASI 1 pass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy