Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 questions...

Poster: A snowHead
Basic premise is that I am now 44 and thinking about what to do if/when I retire at 55...

One thought is to get BASI 1 and maybe 2 and earn some 'pocket' money and completely immerse myself in living the instructor dream 24x7, forgiving my family, friends, snowheads in order to persue instructor like godness when I retire.....

My first question was all around age, would I be able to even do some occasional teaching in the UK at 55, or would potential places like XScape want younger instructors? Similarly could I pick up occasional work in Europe at that age?

Secondly was around where to the L1 BASI course, is there any 'benefit' to doing it in Hintertux vs Castleford? I assume a pass is a pass no matter where it is taken? I reckon Cass is going to be cheaper and more convenient.

Thirdly around kit, I currently only have all mountain skis, 98mm and 112mm, I assume I'd need something thinner for taking BASI 1 in a fridge?

Anyone else of a similiar or older age done the course??

Any other thoughts welcome.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-06-11 13:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, I would say plenty of work UK wide for those who have retired from other things, remember dry slopes too Smile and those coming to skiing later in life sometimes prefer someone closer to their own age as an instructor, what is more important than age is your attitude.

Level one in a fridge is less cost and easier to schedule into the rest of your life than Tux etc.

I would be tempted to look at manchester or tamworth but thats just as im not so keen on Cass but thats just my personal feelings and in reality the venue has little to do with the outcome.

I would suggest that you just do the course on hire skis if you only have Fat's as you will make it difficult for yourself otherwise. If you want a loan pair let me know when you are planning doing the course I may be able to sort you with something.

I did the course at 40 so not quite as old but close enough, was a good mix of youngsters to those planning retirement and those leaving the services on a phased retraining.

Make sure you know the central theme and are able to demo each stage, You may want to get a L3+ to look at your skiing and give you some pointers in the right direction if you have done no other work towards the course. Remember that all BASI courses are a mixture of training and assesment so even if you do not pass first time the week is great value even as a training and development step. Having said that the level is attainable (Or they were looking the other way the day I passed Smile )

Go for it would be my advice, but watch out BASI gets under your skin. You will get the new manual with the course but if you dont mind having two its worth getting one to look at before you go as it will give you a clearer understanding of BASI, the central theme and how you are assessed. Also the precourse info booklet from the website is a great source of info.

Best of luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having seen you ski, and having a BASI2.5 (ie well on the ISIA path) and a BASI 1 in the family I would say that your skiing is easily good enough (that said I havn't seen you snowplough).

He did it 1 and 2 at Hintertux, she did 1 at Hemel.

I'd say save your cash and do 1 indoors.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My daughter is thinking about BAS1, probably at Hintertux, next summer as soon as she's 16. I'm vaguely thinking about doing it too, I'll be 54 Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, Inside Out run a 1 day 'Instructor Assessment' course at Hemel, http://www.insideoutskiing.com/instructor.html.

I did it a month or so ago. The plan is to assess your skiing to see if you are of the required standard and to do a quick whistestop tour of the course content. They get a BASI trainer in to give advice and to let you know whether you are good enough.

On my course the trainer was Stuart Bernard, who was there for the whole day as Scott was carrying an ankle injury.

My overall impression was that BASI 1 is about two things, 1. Learning to teach the central theme to beginners and early intermediates, and being good enough to be able to demonstrate the central theme consistently and accurately, and 2. Becoming a good enough skier to look like a ski instructor in the kind of terrain potential clients will see you skiing, ie green/blue runs.

I enjoyed the day greatly, and plan to sign up for a L1 course at Hemel in the Autumn.

It's a good way of getting a flavour of the course if your not sure whether BASI 1 is for you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I enjoyed the day greatly, and plan to sign up for a L1 course at Hemel in the Autumn.

Cool Cool glad you decided to go for it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spud9, cheers I was trying to get onto that same course you did but couldn't make it, hopefully will make the next one!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, been looking at the diary and hoping that we can run another Pre-BASI course on either 6th or 13th of September. Will confirm this once we know about Trainer availability.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers rob@rar, any fellow snowheads fancy it to encourage rob to run it Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski,

I'm in a similar position to you re the age and retirement - I took my Level 1 last June at Castleford, then travelled down to do my shadowing.

I'm planning on getting the next 35 hours in over the summer and doing my level 2 next year, i'm 41 now and looking to do some instructing when i retire. I learnt quite a bit during the course but you need to keep yourself in the loop and teach part time afterwards as delivering sessions keeps you focused.

If theres anything you want to know about the course let me know and i'll try and remember Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
Basic premise is that I am now 44 and thinking about what to do if/when I retire at 55...
One thought is to get BASI 1 and maybe 2 and earn some 'pocket' money when I retire.....

Is it just me (yeah, probably is), but is this not the type of mind set that is the root cause and very basic problem with British ski teaching's perception world (well Alps anyway) wide.

Can anyone imagine someone in Paris asking around to see if they could earn some pocket money when they retire working for the ESF or some Italian thinking hmmmm I know I see if I can get some work with the AMSI.

I thought that ski instructors are professional sports teachers

PS kitenski you're much younger than me so if you wanted to start training and join in with the BASI progression to see what level you can attain then fine go for it, but please bear in mind that clients pay shed loads of money for ski lessons and to have them delivered by someone looking to earn some pocket money may not be what they had in mind when they made the booking.

Waiting for the shouts

Edit
Curtains wrote:
looking to do some instructing when i retire.

Yep seems it is just me
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski,

Xscape Catleford and other snowdomes employ instuctors of all ages, late 40's / mid 50's certainly not unusual, so no worries on that front.

The central theme will be taught to you on the course, you do not need to know it beforehand (I had never heard of it), although I guess it won't hurt to do some reading if you know of someone with a Alpine manual.

As for required standard, if you can ski parallel confidently,comfortably and in control on red slopes, and if you can leave a clean arc on the outside ski when carving on gentle blues you'll be fine. And if not you have 5 days of expert tuition to look get you there.

As for location, for the L1 there's really no point in travelling especially if you are within daily commute of a snowdome.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, having seen some very poor instructors I am confident I can as well if not better. Since when was the ability to do something full time a measure of ability?

next you will be saying supply teachers, contractors etc cant do their job....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, Im not entirely sure why you think that someone performing a role after 40 is any less professional than someone doing it at a younger age?

If you have the skills required to pass level 1 and do the shadowing then you are a level one instructor, it does not matter what your age is for that. What matters is your skill level not how desperate for the coin at the end of the week.

I dont think your clients care what the finincial motivationof the instructor is. If my level 4 trainer is paid with bananas I dont care! what I want is a dedicated professional who has aquired the teachinga nd demonstration skills.

Maybe im a hopless case but I had thought that it took dedication and commitment to get through the BASI system?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

As for required standard, if you can ski parallel confidently,comfortably and in control on red slopes, and if you can leave a clean arc on the outside ski when carving on gentle blues you'll be fine. And if not you have 5 days of expert tuition to look get you there.

No more than this? Then who knows, one day in the future this might be something even I could have a crack at!! Shocked
ski holidays
Wayne, you open up a hornets nest here. We could have a huge snowheads debate on what constitutes good teaching. IMHO for joe average beginner wanting to learn skiing in a UK dome or dry slope then its about who can get the basics across and identify and correct faults. Is there any evidence of the effectiveness of different teaching systems, hours skied, age of instructor etc etc ??
latest report
sunnbuel, I think you could have all the technical skills in the book at your disposal, but if you can't teach, inspire trust, convey what you know to someone else you will never be a fully effective teacher, coach instructor etc. I think there was a lot of truth to that advertising campaign for school teachers that said 'those that can teach, teach!'. Both technical ability/knowledge of the subject and the ability to convey that in a good manner are essential to become a good teacher I think.
snow report
Wayne, If your viewpoint is the right one (and it seems remarkably similar to arguments thrown out elsewhere that only ET holders and ISTDs are capable of delivering good quality lessons) then you're effectively turning your back on teaching thousands of newcomers their first lessons in the UK or on school trips. The ski instruction industry as far as I can tell only really works because of the many individuals at the bottom of th ladder teaching essentially as a hobby for the love of the sport or young adults some of whom will make a career out of it but many more move on to outside opportunities.

If you reach the standard to be accredited are you any less professional than someone at the same standard who happens to have been dependent on it for a living? I've seen a view from some instructors that the dabblers are the ones who stop the pros making a decent living. This totally ignores the fact that ski lessons are probably already priced at the top of what the market will bear for a leisure activity.
snow report
sunnbuel wrote:
you open up a hornets nest here.

Oh well, what do I know - nowt Toofy Grin

But wink

I didn't mention age
I didn't mention skiing ability
I didn't mention teaching ability
But hey, that's OK.

My point was that is people are just looking to teaching skiing to "earn some pocket money" then this is one of the root causes of the perception that some other associations have of us.

I think I’ll potter around and learn to arrange flowers when I retire and ya never know someone may pay me to teach them my new found skill (can’t be that hard and I have done it for a few week each year on holiday, and all my mates tell me I really good at it Madeye-Smiley ). I don’t think that will foster a good appreciation throughout the flower arranging world of British flower arranging but...
ski holidays
Wayne, I honestly don't get your point, if I have an instructor, I don't know or care how he or she is paid, wether it is a full time employee or someone wanting to earn some pocket money.

I do care that they are a good teacher and I have an enjoyable lesson.

So what is your point, if it's not about age, skiing ability or teaching ability?
ski holidays
Quote:

I didn't mention age
I didn't mention skiing ability
I didn't mention teaching ability

But you did imply all three. (but hey its summer and I like a good stir Very Happy) Your comment about your desire to arrange flowers only serves to reinforce that.

Are you suggesting that the entrance level for BASI is too low and that people with a background of
Quote:

a few week each year on holiday
should be excluded as they clearly can never be professionals?

As a level 1 how do you propose I earn a livingfrom skiing Very Happy (at a level to which all 3 dearest ladies in my family have become acustomed to)

I can only imagine that to take your thinking to the extreme, tha you are suggesting that an ISTD who do not teach skiing full time as their main job has no place in the industry? By your measure only the only thing that is important is the need to earn your. living from the industry.

How do you suggest that we staff all the dry slopes and snowdomes as IMHO it is only the flexibility and availability of large numbers of people who teach beacause it is a passion that allow these facilities to comtinue running.

I will now hand the wooden spoon back Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Wayne,
Quote:

Oh well, what do I know - nowt
i assume you know a lot - thats why i asked if there was any evidence etc it was a genuine question

Look, i am not pretending to know a huge amount about the techy side of instruction but i have obviously been on the customer side. As i see it the big difference is that in the UK (not including skiscot Embarassed ) there are not the numbers of punters (oops there i go again Embarassed ) willing to pay Alp resort ski instruction prices day in day out and so how can you have 'professional sports teachers' only in the UK - could they make a living ? Many of us do pay when we go on our annual trip but we aint forkin out that sort of cash regularly in a dome or dry slope. And as someone else said, a significant amount of the instruction in the UK is by club level instructors, some being paid, some not.

i do understand your frustration though
ski holidays
I passed my BASI level one on Sheffield dry slope and I'm sure that was hugely cheaper than any indoor slope as it only lasted two days plus half a day of assesment after I'd amassed my required number of hours shadowing, that said they only run the course when they want instructors so you're probably best calling them. Your standard of skiing really doesn't have to be anything special. If you can do something that resembles a carve on Dendex you'll be fine
ski holidays
rambotion wrote:
I passed my BASI level one on Sheffield dry slope and I'm sure that was hugely cheaper than any indoor slope as it only lasted two days plus half a day of assesment after I'd amassed my required number of hours shadowing, that said they only run the course when they want instructors so you're probably best calling them. Your standard of skiing really doesn't have to be anything special. If you can do something that resembles a carve on Dendex you'll be fine

That was the Snow Sports England Level 1 (or Club Instructor) exam. B1 is a little different.
snow report
Wayne, you courting controversy again Wink

Wayne wrote:
Oh well, what do I know - nowt Toofy Grin

Cobblers you know you know rather a lot NehNeh Laughing

As I see it the original question is a perfectly reasonable one and I suspect if kitenski hadn't said "earn some 'pocket' money when I retire" and had said something like "earn some money after a life change at 55" it might be more palatable?

I can see your point and I'd like to see European instructors viewing us as professionals rather than pocket money earners for sure but I think there's a place for both given the set up in the UK. Dry slopes survive on people instructing for pocket money and I suspect the same might be true for the domes too so economically it's quite important that there are people with other income sources willing to do the work. In Scotland, as has been intimated, it's slightly different and more like the Alps in terms of numbers and potential earnings but there's always the Scottish weather to put the mockers on things so it's never totally reliable. This is where having another income stream is important and sometimes vital if you stay in the UK so we shouldn't knock it IMHO.

However speaking personally I'm in my 40s and plan to go as far as I can in the system (currently starting L3 modules) and when I can I'll be happy to drop the day job and go as full time as I can in instructing ...
kitenski wrote:
next you will be saying supply teachers, contractors etc cant do their job....

... and given teaching is the day job (but hopefully for not that much longer lol) doing supply in the quiet perods and off-season will be a potential income stream ... not that I'm saying I can do the job but I do have a qualification Wink
snow report
scooby_simon wrote:
rambotion wrote:

That was the Snow Sports England Level 1 (or Club Instructor) exam. B1 is a little different.

Yeah there's a lot of history to this but originally the BASI 1 was meant to be a joint qualification involving SSE (Snowsports England), SSS (Scotland) and SSW (Wales) but there was a 'falling out' with SSE so the joint qualification never happened. SSE now run a system of qualifications separate to BASI, they have a L1 (old Club Instructor), L2 (old ASSI) and a coaching L3 and L4 (in no way equivalent to the BASI L3 and L4). Snowsport Scotland work with BASI on their L1 course and after qualifying you have the option of continuing into the SSS system or into the BASI one. Personally I think both systems have their stengths but if you want to teach professionally in a mountain environment BASI is the obvious choice, the SSE qualifications are traditionally amateur/part time rather than professional/full time mountain qualifications, perhaps this is one source of confusion over what the role of instructors in the UK is and one reason why many dry slopes still offer the SSE rather than BASI qualifications.
latest report
Hang on a minute. There is nothing wrong with the BASI system and there is nothing wrong with a trainer saying that someone is good enough to get their BASI L1, 2, 3 or 4, or whatever they are calling it at the time. And, if a trainer says you are OK to teach skiing that’s great, off you go.

BUT

I didn’t think I’d have to point this out but obviously as I do so....my point was against the mindset that say’s hey I think I’ll become a ski instructor when I retire, so I can earn some pocket money.

I don’t even care that much about the “to earn some pocket money” or even the “when I retire” bit, as the timeline of your starting training isn’t that important. What is important is the idea (mindset) that becoming a ski instructor is something you can do when you retire – like spend more time with the grand children, take up flower arranging, learn the tango, etc, etc.

When you decide to become a ski instructor you make a decision to become a highly skilled sports instructor with all the time, effort, expense, training, etc, that entails. It is not something you should do, as something to do when I retire – that’s what golf courses are for.

Being a ski instructor means that you can do “stuff” that the trainer, or whoever, decides that you need to do to get the badge. I know there are loads of people who whinge that it’s not fair as they shouldn’t have to do this or that to get the badge (normally as they can’t do it), but hey the badges are BASI’s to give out and they set the rules, if you don’t like it then do something else. Just because you personally can’t fall-line a mogul field fast doesn’t mean the BASI should take this out of the L3 criteria, if you can’t do it then you don’t get the badge. Just because you can’t race is no reason for them to remove this criterion from the L4, so, no ET = no badge. I’m not saying this is fair – it’s just how it is. Maybe it will change one day, but ......

Now to tell you the truth I don’t even know what the requirements are for getting an L1. But BASI will have set the standard and a trainer will come along and check that you’re up to it, if you are then you’ll get a badge and off you go. Where’s my class.

But I don’t think that BASI ever meant the L1 to be the end of the/a training/assessment process ( I thought that was the L4 ), so if that’s all you’re after then maybe you should consider spending your retirement improving your golf swing, or baking cakes for the church fête, etc, there’s lots of things to do when you retire, becoming a ski instructor ain’t one of em.

PS – Hi roga, no not me guv Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Wayne said,
Quote:

It is not something you should do, as something to do when I retire

Thats the bit i dont get wayne. If someone is good enough to pass the exams then why shouldnt they take up instructing?
As an example, lots of years ago Embarassed lots!, i used to race longboard windsurfers for TenCate (anyone remember them?), i was half decent, 20 and daft. When i gave up i was persuaded to do my level 1 rya in order to teach disabled kids at kielder resevoir. I did this, part time, for buttons, i guess for altruistic reasons. The point was my technical ability was far beyond level 1, but i had no interest in becoming a 'professional instructor', but i did want to give something back.
So isnt it just possible that a lot of the 'i think i will do a bit of ski instruction when i retire' brigade are in a similar situation? ie lots of skiing experience, a decent level, had lots of 'professional instruction' and very capable of say basi 1, and want to do it for altruistic reasons or pin money.....?

So is it not possible that ski instruction is something many people could do when they 'retire'?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne wrote:

When you decide to become a ski instructor you make a decision to become a highly skilled sports instructor with all the time, effort, expense, training, etc, that entails. It is not something you should do, as something to do when I retire – that’s what golf courses are for.

Well there are ski instructors and there are ski instructors. Some are very highly skilled and invest lots of time expense etc into their profession. For others it's a genuine part time interest with little commitment either way, for a start instructors in the UK do not get the remuneration for a "highly skilled sports instructor" - but there clearly is a market for them.

Wayne wrote:

But I don’t think that BASI ever meant the L1 to be the end of the/a training/assessment process ( I thought that was the L4 ), so if that’s all you’re after then maybe you should consider spending your retirement improving your golf swing, or baking cakes for the church fête, etc, there’s lots of things to do when you retire, becoming a ski instructor ain’t one of em.

quote form the BASI website: "This qualification is for those wishing to find employment in a non-mountain environment, i.e. Dry Slopes and Indoor Snowslopes."

Yes, the qualification can be built on by taking the BASI system further but many do not, especially those who did the course with the objective of gaining work in the UK - would be interesting to know the number of qualified L1's who never do any more BASI courses.
snow report
Wayne wrote:
What is important is the idea (mindset) that becoming a ski instructor is something you can do when you retire – like spend more time with the grand children, take up flower arranging, learn the tango, etc, etc.

So your point is nobody can retire and decide to become an instructor, they must dedicate their life to it?

If I at the age 44 decide to take the effort, expense, training etc, what is the problem with that becoming my second career if/when I retire from my current one?

Wayne wrote:

I think you are missing the point here, BASI L1 allows me to teach indoor and on plastic, if that is all I want to do, then why shouldn't I do that in my retirement?

You seem very bitter that someone may want to come into the instructor programme, and I really hope your attitude isn't prevelant amoungst other instructors as that would very quickly put me off taking this any further.
snow report
If people want to get their L1 and work in the UK, fine, go for it. Nowt wrong with that.
As I said, I know sod all about the requirements for the L1 or what it allows you to do. (should look at the BASI website more maybe ? )

But (again) I am saying that the mindset that ski instruction is just something you can consider doing (along with taking up golf, spending more time with the grand-children, learn cake decoration, etc) as a means to while away your hours when you retire is one of the reasons why we (British ski instructors) are having to justify our place in the pan-European ski industry and we are seen as a novelty (in some parts of Europe) when we actually do ski/teach at the same standard as the local instrcutors.

Anyway that’s me out of this.

Good luck kitenski in your retirement

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-06-11 10:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Wayne, so, say Little Johnny wants to start having a go at playing tennis and his enlightened parents decide to get him a few lessons from the word go, to set him on the right path. Are you suggesting that his coach should have the same qualifications as those who are employed by tennis academies to coach would-be professionals? It is not to denigrate the profession of tennis coaching to say that the average recreational tennis player doesn't want or need a coach who is capable of telling Roger Federer where he's going wrong. The same goes for skiing.
snow report
smithski wrote:

Well there are ski instructors and there are ski instructors. Some are very highly skilled and invest lots of time expense etc into their profession. For others it's a genuine part time interest with little commitment either way, for a start instructors in the UK do not get the remuneration for a "highly skilled sports instructor" - but there clearly is a market for them.

quote form the BASI website: "This qualification is for those wishing to find employment in a non-mountain environment, i.e. Dry Slopes and Indoor Snowslopes."

Yes, the qualification can be built on by taking the BASI system further but many do not, especially those who did the course with the objective of gaining work in the UK - would be interesting to know the number of qualified L1's who never do any more BASI courses.

but then we gets the threads moaning about them not being allowed to teach anywhere(they mean France but hey..) and how unfair it is...

Wayne does have a point that the "oh I'll just pop off and become and instructor" mentality coupled with the "it is sooo unfair I have to ski at thatlevel" sets a strange tone to other countries
snow report
I honestly don't understand your point Wayne, or little tiger.

There are set requirements to pass BASI L1, what does it matter what age I do it at, or what mindset I have, if at the end I become a good instructor whose pupils enjoy having lessons with?

little tiger, I don't see anywhere where I complained about not being able to teach abroad with a L1?
snow conditions
smithski wrote:

Is it just me that would be very very miffed if I was given an instructor at justthis level when I had paid for a professional lesson?

not sure about a dome but here a private lesson in $90 an hour - and I've seen one Brit teaching a private that seemed to ski at about this level... my boss(the student) later commented that I taught him more than the instructor - and I considered myself far too new to skiing to be let loose on a student! This seems quite unfair to those paying top dollar for instruction from a less than decent skier!
snow conditions
little tiger wrote:
smithski wrote:

Is it just me that would be very very miffed if I was given an instructor at justthis level when I had paid for a professional lesson?

not sure about a dome but here a private lesson in $90 an hour - and I've seen one Brit teaching a private that seemed to ski at about this level... my boss(the student) later commented that I taught him more than the instructor - and I considered myself far too new to skiing to be let loose on a student! This seems quite unfair to those paying top dollar for instruction from a less than decent skier!

That largely depends on what levels the instructor is teaching. L1 instructors will be teaching up to basic parallel level and 95% of that teaching will be complete beginners up to plough parallel. Besides, the levels I mentioned above refer to what is required to attend the course, you will develop as a skier on the course itself.
latest report
Hmm I think I can see both sides of the arguement. However, I suspect that the BASI system has developed due to market pressures and these are obviously different in the UK compared with the Alps.

In the UK, we potentially have a high volume of complete beginners, both children and adults, who may be looking at getting a few introductory lessons at their local dry slope or fridge, before going on their first ski holiday. Therefore we need a large volume of instructors to teach this. I guess we have much smaller numbers of more experienced skiers, and even fewer of these would then consider taking further lessons in the UK, so the demand for highly qualified instructors is weak. Obviously, the snowhead types are probably more likely to take further lessons than the average joe, but lets leave that out for a minute. So either BASI need to say that all BASI instructors need to be trained to a much higher level, and risk that supply of instructors does not meet demands, or to allow an entry level qualification (L1) which provides the instructor with sufficient skills to allow UK skiers to make their first ploughs. Does it matter whether these L1 instructors have aspirations to work up to L4 or whether they are content to teach part time at their local slope at L1 for the next 10 years? Obvioulsy, this approach will impact on how other countries view the BASI system, but in reality, those that attain the higher BASI levels are, more often than not, committed professional instructors and should demand respect.

In the French Alps, for example, I am guessing that they also have a high volume of compelte beginners, but that these are, in general, children, and that more of these progress through to become experienced skiers and would continue to have lessons in the Alps to progress. Therefore, the French system will apply different market pressures, and most instructors would be more employable if they were better qualified, so that they could teach the beginner group in the morning, park skills in the afternoon, and a race club in the evening. In the UK, it is more likely that these sessions would be carried out in a Fridge, by three seperate instructors working part time. Ok, the French are also good at safe guarding jobs for the French, but market pressure may explain, in part, why the French system asks so much of all their instructors. I would also guess that there is a large pool of 'excellent' skiers in French, who could attain said high level having skied from when they were 3...but in the UK...not so much. So either you have a small number of highly skilled instructors who are respected throughout europe but not enough to go round to teach all the newbies, or you have a very tiered system that we curently have.

I think the OP should go for it. If they like skiing, want to teach and have the ability, then they should do BASI 1. If BASI deem then to be suitable, then that is that.
snow report
Wayne wrote 'When you decide to become a ski instructor you make a decision to become a highly skilled sports instructor with all the time, effort, expense, training, etc, that entails. It is not something you should do, as something to do when I retire – that’s what golf courses are for'.

But surely you can become a 'highly skilled sports instructer' part time and after retiring from a more mainstream job? I don't see any contradiction at all.

The 'earn pocket money' thing is just the reality of beng a ski instructor.

I like Wayne's flower arranging analogy and I think it's a good one. no doubt throughout the country there are moderately talented flower arrangers, who love the hobby, and teach it part time for pin money. If they didn't the hordes slavering to learn the art of flower arranging would have no one to teach them. Like it or not, in the world outside a few valleys in the Alps, skiing is a marginal activity with very few opportunities for well paid full time jobs, and reliant on keen individuals giving up their time for free, or for very low pay. In this it is no different to many other hobbies and sports.

Whether a BASI level 1 is 'highly skilled' is debatable of course, but they certainly are compared to the novices and early skiers they will be teaching.

Finally, I suspect kitenski is simply being modest about his ski teaching ambitions. I'm in a similar position, intending to do BASI 1 with a view to having a secondary career in later life. I'd like to think that, over the next few years I could move on to BASI 2, after that, who knows. Perhaps kitenski feels a similar way.
snow report
scooby_simon, You may be right but they definately reffered to it as a the BASI level 1 exam. It allowed me to teach on drylopes and indoor snow but not at a real ski resort. What would that make it? I don't really care as I can't see myself instructing again
ski holidays
little tiger, It would seem like Wayne, that you have not bothered to actually look up what the BASI level 1 qualification is or what it allows you to do. But you seem to believe that you can comment on some who wishes to take the qualification and teach skiing on dry slopes or indoors. BASI 1 does not allow you to teach on the mountain (edited) the level 1 qualification is the entry level for starting on the journey towards becomming someone who can add real value to clients like yourself at the top level of skiing.

So at what age do I become incapable of learning to become a professional in a new area? If I retire at 30 doe that mean im excluded, what about 40? It seems that there is a lot of hostility from people who seem to believe that the term 'ski instructor' means that everyone who uses it should be at the same level.

Sadly eveyone has to start somewhere where and we cannot all be born to greatness like yourselves. Perhaps you believe that the people teaching the 5 yr old kids to do their first snowplough should be ISTD + ET trained???

Hey ho.... Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 8-06-11 14:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy