Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing/boarding injuries

What kind of injury?
None
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Minor scrapes and bruises
29%
 29%  [ 17 ]
Minor twists/sprains
14%
 14%  [ 8 ]
Torn ligaments
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Fractures
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Back injuries
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Neck injuries
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Head injuries
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Several of the above!
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Voted : 1
Total Votes : 57

Poster: A snowHead
Masque you will never get that pig drawn if you do, let alone finish the web site
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tore ligaments after slip on ice in the car park at Glenshee followed by a tumble on the slope, sharp 'crack' from my ankle/foot. Many months of physio followed, not nice!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure some accidents are just plain bad luck. I'm wondering though, how much the extent of injuries is affected by early experience. Accidents happen very quickly and 'wrong' instinctive reactions can make things a lot harder on your body.
I would be interested to find out if the people here who learned how to fall while very young suffer less injuries. I've fallen many times in 35 years, somehow managed to land softly, without bruising or sprains. I haven't been as lucky with other sports.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque wrote:

filth strewn corridors of the NHS
Masque, as a proud worker in the NHS I feel rather hurt at your comment (i am a very sensitive soul). I agree that our hospital corridors and pathways can be blemished with litter, but much of that litter comes from the visiting general public who seem unable to use litter bins and discard their rubbish in hospitals in the same way they do in the street.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, I have enjoyed reading this thread, and particulary enjoyed your posts. You do seem rather accident prone. And you are very lucky to recover from the paraplegia (leg-no-move) when you injured your back. You obviously enjoy life to the full - may I buy you a virtual pint (idea knicked from Ian Hopkinson) and ask you to regale us with some more stories. We all want to hear about the willy-round-the-signpost. Please....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My only significant injury was torn medial (inside) ligament of knee when fell showing off under the Sunnyside chairlift at Glenshee. Not so bad that day, but crippled the next, and due to go out to La Plagne the following week. Fortunately the agony quickly went and was able to enjoy La Plagne, but it was over 9 months before I could swim breast-stoke (any outward force on leg painful). Moral: showing off is bad for your health.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In a thread on injuries, it may be pertinent to check your insurance is OK. Obvious I know, but easy to make assumptions. A friend last year broke her femur and had to be helicoptered down to Bourg. When she contacted her inurance company she found the latest premium payment had not got through: her insurance had lapsed - she had no insurance. E111 covered her medical care, but not the helicopter ride. That costs up to £200 a minute I am told: her bill was for £1700!
(fortunately a whip-round among 300+ fellow anaesthetists took care of the bill).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes a good idea Jonpim, it could get very expensive out there, one fact not widely publisised is that the E111 will now go a long way towards your Swiss medical expenses, but again may not cover you for helicopter recovery
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, Yep I was f***in’ lucky! I was told that if I’d kept moving while the swelling developed, it might have been a permanent condition, as it was, feeling started coming back within 24 hours (still probably the worst in my life in terms of life change . . . I’ve a couple of others that come close though) and by the time I was transferred to Blackpool I was semi-mobile but was kept on an angled bed to keep my spine extended.
Ever tried using a bedpan whist hanging from your armpits? Hmmmmm bedbath time!! Certainly lost my shyness that week and haven’t student nurses got a cruel streak a mile wide.
In the end there was no lasting damage at all and I went back to climbing and the trampoline within three months.
Oh. and good point . . . ALWAYS READ your travel policy and in France, buy the carte Neige with your lift ticket. Take it from someone who knows!~ Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, re the NHS - The infection I caught in the NHS hospital dam near killed me and is still causing probs, It had nothing to do with the physical damage but made the recovery from that a two year+ slog rather than the 9 months it should have taken. I've huge respect for the thousands of care givers who suffer almost as much as the patients at the multitudinous hands of incompetent management bureaucracy, innumerate budgeting systems and government malfeasance! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:

buy the carte Neige with your lift ticket.
Masque, I have read of the Carte Neige before, but don't really unserstand what it is all about. I have had a look round the Net, but couldn't find a site that told me what the Carte Neige does that my ski insurance doesn't.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only lasting damage is from a plastic slope. 25yrs on and my thumb still has no lateral stability and bends at unnatural angles.

Also, once had a major wipe out in Verbier where, by going too fast over a blind summit, I ended up landing full front onto a road of boiler plate. Apart from breaking the tip of a ski, and smashing my sunglasses accross my face I think I cracked a rib or two.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While Masque composes his account of "how a 'mate' got both his forhead and his willy stuck to a sighpost in Livigno whist dressed as a schoolgirl", I will tell of a scary tale to warn fellow-snowheads of the dangers of parallel draglifts and the importance of concentrating all the way up.
In the bad year of 2002 the La Plagne glacier was opened in Easter. The top lift is a parallel draglift that ends just 10 metres or so before a cliff-face. There were a lot of near-misses as skiers got off one drag, passed in front of the other drag to get onto the piste but forgot the other buttons coming up and nearly getting clobbered in the head/face. Well, a friend was going up the lift and noticed a lady in front not so lucky: the lady got hit by a button and fell to the ground with blood pouring from her face. Mary was so caught up in all this drama that she forgot she was near the top. She failed to get off. The button lifted her up and slammed her against the mountian side. She fell down feeling a terrible ache in her side and back, unable to get up, but completely ignored. Everyone was concentrating on the lady pouring blood. Mary wasn't pouring blood, but knew she had injured something. Next up was her daughter Sarah (12 years) who was very brave and started to get other people's attention. Finally a very worried hubby arrived. Mary felt she couldn't move. The lift man ordered the helicopter, and soon she was on her way down to Bellecote. Xrays showed 3 fractured ribs.
"So what does that mean?" she asked the French doctor.
"Pain! Lots of pain!" was the reply.
Not great on bedside manner these french docs. But accurate.
It bloody hurt for weeks after.
So: don't get distracted when going up a drag lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a wonderful thread !!! It's got it all - a poll, informative stuff and humour all in one. Keep it going ............ Cool

PS I forgot pulling an Achilles walking across a car park to buy a lift pass in loose boots. Does that count as a skiing injury ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't see why not, one of the nastier injuries I saw occur last year was the lady who walked out of one lift building to go to the station and then slipped on a patch of ice in the car park, I could hear the shoulder break 50 ft away
ski holidays
6th March early morning near Belle Plagne. Snowing. Bus driver slipped while fitting chains and dislocated his shoulder. The start of a resort transfer from hell - - - but that's another story.
I suspect there are as many injuries sustained while walking around in the resorts as there are on the slopes.
snow report
You're probably right, especially for those walking in skiboots, most boots give pretty bad grip at the best of time, when you combine that with the lack of feel you get whilst wearing skiboots it makes them very dangerous, at least with skis on you have some sharp steel edges to catch the ice
snow report
Just to show that masque isn't alone, a report on a snowboard competitor who recently broke his back while competing in France.....
ARTICLE

and at: ARTICLE 2
snow conditions
OK PG - since you've edited so have I - touche. Isn't this s/w great.

BTW that 1st link spawned the 1st pop-up I've been inflicted with on snowHeads. It had to happen

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-03-04 9:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yes and it looks like he had his sense of self preservation removed as well, He's got rods in his back but wants nothing more than to get back out and compete asap, some people would let their injuries heal properly first ! Didn't US skier ? Picaboo Street ? mangle both legs then go skiing too soon with the result that it basically finished her career ? I know she used to ski with both legs in knee braces
ski holidays
Sorry Ian - got the correction in before you replied! (PS the Google bar you can download from their main page has a good pop-up blocker....)
latest report
D G Orf, Some get 'lucky' though - look at what the Herminator has achieved less than three years after he nearly had a leg amputated, and only one year back on skis!
snow report
Pedant alert!
snow conditions
Absolutely but is anybody sure weather he is really Human ? Wink
ski holidays
I'll claim an ACL injury. Completely tore them in my right knee. More to the point it was actually a friend of mine who did it when he rugby tackled me while I was skiing backwards. Am beginning to see the funny side now, 2 years on. Twisted Evil
I also look like Robocop Dolphingirl, the knee brace is a pretty impressive contraption. Does everyone have surgery to replace the cruciates? My knee still clicks a bit and aches occasionally but otherwise it's fine.
I also grazed my whole face racing for my uni. on a dry slope a couple of years ago. I looked like a war casualty, still worked wonders in the bar later!!!!
snow conditions
Chris Angus, I know someone in France who's had cruciate surgery. Worked well for him, together with long-term physio. Why, would you rather avoid surgery?
snow conditions
I had the surgery because i am generally very flexible (no comments please...) and was under 30 at the time, working in the ski industry etc. I had the ligament replaced with my hamstring, but for men it seems to be more often the patella tendon that is used. The leg can support itself if you have strong muscles and ligaments elsewhere, but problems can manifest themselves in later life when perhaps one doesn't have the same muscle as when younger and more active. It is generally only advised for people who do lots of sport... I've got some good party scars!
snow report
dolphingirl, I remember being at a good party with you last May (and expect an invite this year too!) What scars did you get at it? snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't remember quite all the party... The scars were mainly mental I think... Yes, we'll be rocking again this may - there on friday too as a matter of fact...
snow conditions
It seems appropiate at this point to warn people about the dangers posed by walky-talkies. At least, when you fatally mix them with pisteurs.

Whilst at La Rosiere recently I was minding my own business as I queued for yet another drag lift. The kindly, and I might add, attractive female pisteur standing to my right decided it would be hilarious to grab my walky talky and shout "hello" into it.

The problem? Well with my left hand, I had already pulled out the (violently starting - you know the ones) button and placed it gently between my legs. The rest is all a bit of a blur. But suffice to say, my lower body was halfway up the mountain and my upper body, being held back by the pisteur with radio in hand, was still well and truly at the bottom.

Gravity took over at that point and I crashed down to earth on my back, severely damaging my hip flask, which I'd decided to store in my ruck sack (doh)! I'm not sure who was laughing the most, the pisteurs, or me, although I suspect they might have had the edge.

So there you have - steer clear of walky-talkies, they're a hazard!
snow conditions
Are you sure she was kindly Mark, sounds more like Pisteurs can be hazardous to your hip flask NehNeh
latest report
PG, I have had the surgery but was offered the option of just having intensive physio and building the muscles up around the knee. I was a rugby and cricket playing 19 year old so I had good leg strength. My surgeon told me the same thing dolphingirl says about problems later on so as I intend to ski until I'm old and decrepit I thought that I should have the op. It seems to have worked well although I'm paranoid about it and as I said it still aches now and then. I have the good party scar over my knee cap, the rest was all key-hole surgery, impresive what they can do.
ski holidays
Chris Angus, glad it went well for you. It is interesting though that many of the surgeons who do ACL Repairs (anterior cruciate ligament) would never have the operation done on themselves!
ski holidays
Chap I know had the same op and was almost good as new after it, didn't stop him skiing the following season either
latest report
My OH had ACL reconstruction a few years back & it causes him no hassle what-so-ever. He had gradually reduced from a robocop style metal knee brace to a neoprene support to nothing at all. In fact it's his other knee that hurts after a day on the slopes now!!
latest report
maybe he should have that one looked at as well
snow report
But that might mean I don't get to go skiing next season!!?? Sad
ski holidays
Plenty of time between now and then ! anyway I was only joking, sorry I should have put one of these Laughing at the end
latest report
There's nowt wrong with him really - just likes to whinge like every bloke!! Wink

Best thing to do with your ACL is snap it completely, then it get's fixed straight away, without the need for a million trips to the docs/hospital & a huge waiting list on the NHS.
latest report
Lucie Axford, that's why we need women: no farting about, no dilly-dallying, just do it! As you say, its us men who procrastinate and mutter.
Sorry Mr A has a bad knee: you seem well informed so I am sure he is doing all those quad strenthening exercises. But if he is out of action next season, I would be happy to try and keep up with you....
(and I do know many people completely happy with their repaired cruciates.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy