Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing/boarding injuries

What kind of injury?
None
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Minor scrapes and bruises
29%
 29%  [ 17 ]
Minor twists/sprains
14%
 14%  [ 8 ]
Torn ligaments
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Fractures
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Back injuries
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Neck injuries
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Head injuries
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Several of the above!
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Voted : 1
Total Votes : 57

Poster: A snowHead
Sort of linked to the fitness question, what sort of injuries have snowHeads suffered on the slopes? If any, what do you put them down to? Inexperience, lack of fitness, sheer stupidity Confused ? Other idiots on the slopes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG as I'm the 1st, I've rather skewed the poll - actually it was a dislocated shoulder near the end of the season, just before one of those late season powder dumps. Crying or Very sad

Certainly not lack of fitness (about day 60 on snow that season) or inexperience; just one of those unlucky, freak accidents - slipped on ice at very slow speed and fell awkwardly - probably not really concentrating! My 1st serious injury on snow despite many poor attempts at landing jumps...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
really odd, but i've pretty much never fallen while skiing (and i'm a learner) had 2 weeks on snow, and loads of dry slope time. i think in my entire time skiing my wipeout stats are as follows:

Dry slope: Never fallen
week in Andorra: 1 fall after attempting a tricky jump, trying to copy my instructor
week in Cervinia: 2 incidents, put hand on floor in a mogul field as i hit some ice and slid a bit (not a propper fall) and i went face first in some super deep powder as i went around a piste marker to turn around and lost the tips of my skis (really funny).

It's not that i'm not trying hard enough, i have lots of near misses, i just seem to be really lucky at recovering from minor boo boos. Thing is it's such a contrast from my other half who wipes out (propperly) at least twice a day (even on dry slopes - ouch)

Am i just lucky or what? I've got a week in Andorra next week, after wat i've just said, i can see a major wipeout coming my way Wink

.........can't wait Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
None really, probably because a I was fortunate enough to learn whilst very young, when you are fearless and just bounce back up again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I sprained an ankle skiing off piste, one ski went under the tree root the other over the top, could have been a lot worse and it was the last day of the holiday so the timing could have been worse too, that was a long time ago though something like 25 years ago, nothing more serious since Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On recent trips nothing to report. In fact almost no falls either. Probably not trying hard enough. But a bad one some years back. With hind sight I was skiing above the level my bindings were set at and on a turn at the edge of a steep piste both released and threw me into powder. Rolled for a bit and the trunk of a huge Christmas tree stopped me. Damaged ribs at the back. If the contact had been with any limb or head I reckon it would have been really serious. Fortunately, it was on the last day of my holiday. The transfer with my own kit was a painful nightmare. Have tended to stay above the tree line ever since. And I check the bindings are at the right setting. Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As reported previously in another place, I managed a fracture of my tib & fib two years ago. A spiral fracture because the bindings didn't release when they should. Needless to say that when I hit the white stuff again this year, I made SURE that the bindings were right. Actually probably too low a setting, but hey, I'd rather lose a ski than lose any more quality skiing time through another injury Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tony Ellwood, A moot point! There are those who consider that skis releasing too early through too low a setting are a major and avoidable hazard!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Actually probably too low a setting

Tony - see above - too low can also be dangerous. Mine were set for a fat 40 something on blues cruising and I was on a black. No warning all week. Like you I wouldn't have minded one ski off but 2 in a critical place. Stopped me laughing. A French lady who witnessed my wipeout threw up she was so convinced I was a goner. Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm the one 'several of the above' so far. Stupidity - following my kids over a series of jumps way beyond my ability, nasty upper back bruising that I felt for a couple of years. Inattention - virtually knocked out by a drag lift once, plus a torn muscle from taking a chair in the calf muscle unprepared. Dislocated thumb from catching a small child sliding ever faster down an icy black slope (he should never have been there). Overenthusiasm - painful knees for ages after trying to force turns in powder when I simply wasn't good enough early on - should have taken those lessons.... Still, touch wood, the last couple of seasons have been ok. Maybe I've learnt my lesson.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been skiing 3 weeks this season and although i have had a number of falls especially off-piste the injuries i have sustained have been minor and have never forced me to miss a days skiing. I get back to england and play a game of sunday league football and tear my groin!!! Very painful and now can't walk very well!!! Sad Oh well at least it will have healed for next year! snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
Am i just lucky or what? I've got a week in Andorra next week, after wat i've just said, i can see a major wipeout coming my way Wink

OOoooohhhh - please let me know when, and I'll bring the video camera along Wink

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 16-03-04 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last morning of the season (3 ago) after biiiig party, first tracks on borrowed blades (first time ever) drifted of the side onto some refrozen run-off and accelerated towards a steep drop-off and an ugly boulder scree field, was unconscious before the second bounce (even with helmet), destroyed right shoulder joint, humerous broke three ribs under my arm-pit and collapsed the one lung I’ve got left, dislocated pelvis. Woke up in Lyon. I was fine till my crappy ins. co. shipped me back and I was entrusted to the filth strewn corridors of the NHS. Still working to get back some semblance of decent fitness but otherwise ok and still sliding but when it gets v’steep and icy I’m a real wus – it’s a mind thing but It’s getting better and better.
The real prob - my stupidity at the time!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cracked my fibula on the last day in Panorama - but managed to ski some bumps straight after! Wasn't a bad break though - two weeks in plaster. Should be on skis again in a couple of weeks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque did you learn anything else from the experience, e.g Don't go out on unfamiliar gear the night after a heavy party ?
ski holidays
Masque, OUch. I sympathise with the NHS thing too. On the whole the system is way better in France, even if they can't afford it - the cracks are beginning to show. Keep that recovery going...
snow report
The most painful at the time was in Tignes last season scraping back from Val’d on the ‘campanules’ run, I got desperate for a pee, it was very quiet so I skidded over to the piste side to become ‘french’ for a minute. Didn’t unstrap, just set my toe edge and started the process. Just as the stream started, I heard the sound of skiers, I looked up, lost my balance, slid back, caught a heel edge and used a kidney to bounce off an ice rock onto the piste then sliding on my back headfirst down the run right in the middle of a bunch of (mostly women) german skiers – still spraying! I can still remember the sound of laughter as they disappeared down the slope.
The injuries? One very bruised and bleeding kidney that left a bruise from my ribcage to my thigh, blood in urine, a 280Euro scan bill, breathing my own piddle . . . and the cheers every time I limped into ‘Crowded House’!
Skullie
snow conditions

Masque : Please tell me next time you pay a visit to the Tarentaise! I'll be there with the camcorder ... at a safe distance.... Smile
latest report
Ouchh now that's bad, an injured pride to go with the physical and wallet injuries, Masque are you sure you're cut out for snowsports ?
snow conditions
Masque, brilliant.

My injury list is fairly short - knocked myself unconcious at Llandudno ski slope (as mentioned on another thread), damaged my cartlidge, same venue different occasion, broke my wrist trying to snowboard in Wengen, and a ski shaped bruise on my back from earlier this year.
snow report
In quite a few seasons I have had two concussions, three cracked ribs, one broken rib, cracked coxyxx, an inordinate amount of bruises, one black eye, three broken fingers, and in one stunning wipe out wrapped myself around a telemarker and managed hairline fracture in jaw, tore back thumb and completely ruptured ACL - the classic ski injuries all in one fell swoop! Ow... and keep going back for more...
ski holidays
What about aprés ski injuries??? None myself but was in Chamonix last week and one young swedish girl got knocked out by a body surfer in Chambre Neuf!!!!! It was Insane! Twisted Evil
latest report
Masque, good job you sport of choice isn't sky diving Very Happy
latest report
dolphingirl have you been to see a shrink yet ? Laughing
snow conditions
he's the one that got me back out there....

french physios are the answer - patch you up and send you back out, although I do resemble robocop on the slopes now...! snowHead
ski holidays
Ok fine just checking, it would be irresponsible for me to do otherwise Laughing
ski holidays
In Bourg St Maurice sports injury clinics/psychologists/physios outnumber GPs 3 to 1! That's got to be saying something about our chosen sport....
snow conditions
Still, there seems to be an inordinate quantity of hairdressers too. What does this imply ??? Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bloody Hell Masque! Wish you'd told me that before the La Ros trip! David hinted at it, but even so......... Wink
snow conditions
Funny you should bring that up I've been told that Interlaken hospital is a center for knee injuries, I think that means they're very good at treating / doing surgery on them which I suppose makes sense given its close proximity to several ski areas, ACL damage anybody ?
ski holidays
I know someone who popped his achilles straning to put his boots on in the rental shop the very first day of a ski holiday. His own fault though, he had 'never' done any exercise, and I mean never, in his 40 something odd years. Still, it can happen to the fittest as well - one of the stars of the Les Arcs club, World Cup tour standard, is only just back in the European Cup circuit after snapping his achilles tendon in training a couple of seasons ago.
latest report
PG: you should have been in La Ros’ 09:00 last Xmas morning.
After making a commitment (at 04:30) to meet up with some fellow boarders for the first run on Xmas day; There I was, first in queue.
Lifty beckons us forward, I slide one leg through leaving the other behind the turnstile as it clicks round, I attempt to lift my back leg over I fall, twisting and turning at the same time.
Don’t ask my how, but my board ends up through and across all three gates, I’m lying face up staring at two shocked lefties and trying not to throw up.
Can’t get my board out, can’t even see how to get it out, both lifties start to pull and tug, then call the other two at the chairs to give a hand and after (what felt like a week) about two minutes got me untangled . . . and all the time . . . the queue just stood and stared! No laughing, no muttering, no sound, NOTHING but angry staring.
Anyway I was first onto the chairs, got myself organized and relaxed on an utterly beautiful morning, top of the hill I lifted the bar, slid forward to slide off and . . . face-planted! Chairs ground to a halt, I picked myself up, looked back under my chair and there are the same faces, in an orderly row of threes . . . staring back at me!
Hid in the ‘Traversette’ with water and coffee for a couple of hours until I could be sure that body and mind were riding the same snow.
Injured? . . . I bl**dy well would have been if that queue had caught up with me.
Shocked
snow report
I'll admit to not doing a lot of exercise, and sitting here typing is not making my record any better, but to Never exercise and expect to ski is just stupid, at over 40 he was lucky to snap his tendon, it might have been much worse on the slope if he had made it out there Exclamation
snow conditions
Masque thanks for that I needed a good laugh Laughing
snow conditions
D G Orf, they never learn.... nothing to do with lack of exercise, according to his reasoning it was entirely his kids' fault for persuading him to have a go in the first place..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Partial MCL tear in Lech - It wasn't the fall that did it, it was trying to straighten my legs whilst sliding down on my back! I know better now.
latest report
Dislocated shoulder after 2 hours of cross country skiing - never do that again.
Both elbows disfigured by black egg shaped haematomae with bruising from wrist to shoulder both arms and neck in collar for 3 weeks after slipping on ice coming out of a bar.
Technicolour bruising of leg from ankle to hip last time I did poles on the dry slope (have to put picture of that on the site Embarassed )
snow report
I forgot, significantly, injured pride..... rolling eyes

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-03-04 13:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Alan I think we could probably do without the picture the description was more than sufficient !

PG there's always an excuse Wink
snow report
Broken bones and lots of them. snapped the medial condile off my left femur due to a binding releasing prematurely on snow. broken nearly every bone in my hands due to dry slope racing. two broken ribs from a cliff drop.
i have had a fair few sprains to my ankles and wrists, dislocated shoulder and been knocked unconcious twice by a slalom gate and a rock. I have also had frost bite twice in my big toes. and lots and lots of bruises, grazes, ice burns, and cuts from sharpening edges.

I'm surprised i'm still alive.

also when training slalom i was coming down at the end of the day with the drill in my rucksack. I hit a bump at speed and the drill dit cracked in to the back of my head leaving a nice cut and a slight chip in my skull. (i was wearing a helmet at the time, it went under it).

PS, this is in 15 years of competitive skiing. i'm not that much of a klutz really
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy