Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rights of way - look out above

Poster: A snowHead
Just remembered to post this as a little warning to be careful in France.

We were at the SFaB (thanks again Admin!) and Year3Jumper (my 8 year old) and I were setting off from the Peclet gondola towards 'Christine' on the almost flat blue. Y3J was slightly downhill of me and to my right. As we accelerate he starts to move left to start the S'ing so I also move left . There wasn't much room between me and the piste edge/wall so imagine my surprise when I am knocked over and into Y3KJ by a French lady who crashes in front of us.

She, and her husband, insist that she had priority as she was on the left. They were firm in their belief that people on the right had to give way as we were in 'France, not England'. I tried to tell them about the rules on the piste but gave up as it would have annoyed me too much.

Just remember that not everyone knows about the downhill skier rule. Those signs drawing attention to the skier below in France have real importance!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 8-05-11 22:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Just remember that not everyone knows about the downhill skier rule.

AndrewBailey, Sadly, that's the understatement of all time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a good swear at a Frenchie who looked straight at me then cariied on with his Europoncing directly toward me when I was the downhill skier. Having narrowly avoided me I then had to dodge his 6 year old hot on his heels picking up Daddy's bad habits. At least 6 year old will have had his Anglo Saxon vocabulary and hand gestures expanded.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndrewBailey, I think a very similar anecdote was related by another snowhead in a post a few weeks ago, again in France. At first I thought it might be something to do with French skiers erroneously thinking that the driving rules of the road applied, but then I realised that the traditional French driving rule is "priorite a droite" anyway, so it can't be that. Puzzled
Maybe best to keep a French copy of the FIS rules handy so that you can demonstrate/remonstrate with any (literally) misguided French skiers and tell them "Vous vous trompez!" Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If any Frenchie gets aggressive, just tell them they are 70 years too late. It's worked for me. wink

They usually have a look like this on their face Shocked Confused and then generally ski off. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spud, Bearing in mind their WW1 casualties they are being astonishingly tolerant of you.

Quote:
GB + Empire - killed: 908,000 wounded: 2mill. France - killed: 1.3mill, wounded: 4.2mill
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
spud, Bearing in mind their WW1 casualties they are being astonishingly tolerant of you.

Quote:
GB + Empire - killed: 908,000 wounded: 2mill. France - killed: 1.3mill, wounded: 4.2mill

It's usually said in jest and with a smile on my face. It generally cools down heated exchanges. Having got friends and family living in France, i've had many an exchange and banter over a bottle of red wine with some passionate locals.

I do find it laughable though, that it is generally the French who have a grievance with the Brits, compared to Germans, Austrians, Swiss and Italians.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

it is generally the French who have a grievance with the Brits

it is? Not my experience. Though your opening gambit might cause a bit of a reaction. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find that shouting out the county that Dover is in, at max volume, is quite effective.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All nationalities do it. I once laid into a German, maybe Dutch (I forget, but not French) who collided with my wife when she was the downhill skier. I told him he was out of control (he spoke good English) and I told him to get the hell out of there before I got really angry. He moved pretty quickly afterwards. But it's getting worse - I never set off without leaving a sizable gap above me - there's so many idiots skiing now. I'd never stop on the outside of a corner. Hell I'm starting to think I need a helmet Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's no excuse for any skiers - including French ones - being unaware of the rule. There are signs all over the place reminding people about priority for the "skieur aval".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It were a bloody sight worse in the lift queues and wasn't just limited to the Italian pig who skied from the side into the gate at considerable speed and objected to my (ahem Blush ) gentle manual reversal of his progression via the handle on his back pack . . . the liftie backed me up Toofy Grin

But a bit worse was the complete *rse of a border (and his mates, Brit student docs) who thought it perfectly acceptable to repeatedly boot me in the leg with his board and claim it was to be expected in a lift queue . . . the 'conversation' that followed was interesting, I've not been that close to lamping someone for a looooong time . . . being an ugly, old brick s**thouse has its plus points, he backed off . . . shame, by that time I up for playtime Twisted Evil

There's always a bit of bargy in a lift queue but that last week was the worst I've experienced,

And yes I hold my hand up, I did hit Hurtle on the rump . . . however the bruising that resulted is on my person and I weren't already firing blanks . . . I would now be Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. How to deal with the French: tell them you're Scottish, it does make a surprising difference! Cool

2. FIS rules: good idea to have a copy in the local language, educate them!

3. Poor piste etiquette happens all over the place, including ... shock horror ... in Scotland - there seems to be an increasingly poor level of understanding everywhere.

4. Lift queues: deffo better in Scotland but other places in Europe are okay too, e.g. Austria. I once commented on the fact I thought the Austrians were pretty reasonable in queues to an Austrian mountain guide I was with, he said "ah but you Brits are so much better at queuing and we admire that. The French are appalling and the Italians just as bad but the difference is the Italians barge with style and charm so we don't mind so much", I laughed at that!

Have to say though some of the worst offenders I've seen in France are Brits who obviously have spent too much time copying local customs and taking their barging to whole new levels - they'd last about 30 seconds at Glencoe before being decked Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like to think that anyone that I've dealt with in my native language is left in no doubt as to the intent that has been levelled at them once I've finished with them, and I don't care what nationality they are Evil or Very Mad - including the dimmocks that cut myself and kids up with about 1/2 inch to spare as we skied past the K&F and they thought it would be fun to slide in there at considerable speed and spray their mates with snow Evil or Very Mad .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it varies a lot from resort to resort. I've honestly seen very little rude lift behaviour in the Espace Diamant though given that there are practically never any queues, people aren't tempted to push and shove (I think it can be quite bad during the Paris school hols; I'm never there then). There are very, very, few collisions too - I ski whole weeks without seeing even a minor one though I was taken out a while back by a Frenchman trying to overtake me down the very edge of the piste (I was skiing quite fast enough for the situation, which was approaching two lifts down a slope with a tricky camber and he just overcooked it; maybe wasn't aware of the camber). He was very apologetic but still an idiot. The worst behaviour I've seen locally was some Germans in Les Contamines, who were obnoxious. People are particularly careful with kids and the lifties have a lot of patience. I do wish they'd instigate singles lines though, to take advantage of the folks who are too insecure to travel up next to anyone but their nearest and dearest at busy times (not talking of families with kids - they're entitled).

I suppose that resorts which attract a lot of fast and impatient skiers who think they're God's Gift are likely to have more bad behaviour. Lifties should bawl them out more often. With "smart" lift passes it would be very easy to have a "three strikes and you're out" system for people who break the rules or ski recklessly. The lifts which shout "bambin", "scolaire" could be programmed to shout something suitably humiliating. wink
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
I think a very similar anecdote was related by another snowhead in a post a few weeks ago, again in France.

Was that me, not sure I posted it in the end. Going down into Flaine a French boarder shot past me on the left and knocked me flying. With great presence of mind I yelled at him in bluest English and he told me it was my fault as he was overtaking on the left so I should keep a look out for him. rolling eyes

I must confess to another collision where I was the uphill skier and overtook somebody who was turning and then changed his mind/lost control and didn't turn so I knocked him over. I'm afraid, dear reader, that when his mother (he was fully grown) came up to remonstrate and asked "parlez vous Francais" that I just shrugged my shoulders, the fault was significantly his and a discussion probably would not have been helpful.
snow report
I think the biggest problem with skiing around is people (normally with a snowHead's t shirt) stopping to look around for cheap cafes and then standing around and complaining that is was cheaper in the good old days.

I think we should introduce this type of system for anyone wearing any form of snowHead's gear.

http://youtube.com/v/bSU-tpmr_dU&feature=pyv&ad=11674102768&kw=video

Maybe Admin could introduce this system

We could run a trail - say all the resorts in France - 1st to see if works
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Longer piste opening times and flood-lighting is the way to go.....
latest report
Quote:

the fault was significantly his and a discussion probably would not have been helpful.

if you think it was his fault then no, a discussion probably wouldn't have been helpful.
snow report
pam w wrote:
...... With "smart" lift passes it would be very easy to have a "three strikes and you're out" system for people who break the rules or ski recklessly. ....

Not possible under French law, from what easiski has told me.
snow conditions
Quote:
I must confess to another collision where I was the uphill skier and overtook somebody who was turning and then changed his mind/lost control and didn't turn so I knocked him over. I'm afraid, dear reader, that when his mother (he was fully grown) came up to remonstrate and asked "parlez vous Francais" that I just shrugged my shoulders, the fault was significantly his and a discussion probably would not have been helpful.

Am I missing something here?
snow report
Guvnor, no, I don't think so. Possibly some level of ignorance/trolling/economy with the whole story.
ski holidays
Chasseur, Or a point proven re: lack of knowledge of the FIS rules.... rolling eyes
latest report
Schuss in Boots, ay...possibly.
ski holidays
No one's mentioned the Russians yet... Shocked Laughing
snow report
James the Last, I think the responsibility of being the uphill skier is to be able to leave sufficient room and take sufficient care with what you do to avoid any potential hiccup by those below you, just as you are supposed to leave sufficient gap when driving to be able to stop safely from the speed being travel should anything at all happen in front of you. From the way you tell the tale here

Quote:

I must confess to another collision where I was the uphill skier and overtook somebody who was turning and then changed his mind/lost control and didn't turn so I knocked him over.

I think under all the rules as I currently understand things you sound like you were culpable IMO.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:

I think under all the rules as I currently understand things you sound like you were culpable IMO.

^ +1
latest report
The biggest problem i've encountered, is passing Snowboarders. You haven't got the foggiest idea which way they are going to turn.

One minute they are turning Goofy...the next, a flip...and they are leading with the other foot rolling eyes

At least with a skiier you can watch their natural turn and rhythm, and guage when it's safe to pass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've gone right off Flaine 'cos every time I've been there I've been hit by some French idiot going stupidly fast down a blue run. There are so many runs that cross others that a collision is almost guaranteed with that sort of speed.
snow conditions
Quote:
A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement

This is the text of relevant rule from the FIS Code of Conduct. If you are overtaking then you are responsible. How many people actually leave enough space to allow for any voluntary or involuntary movement?

The only times (that I can think of) where you have to give way to an uphill skier going past you is if you are stationary and looking to start moving, or joining a marked piste from off-piste.
ski holidays
simon_bates, when to pistes merge or cross each other it is sensible for skiers to check up hill. This is not specifically covered in the FIS rules - though maybe Rule 5 (Entering, starting and moving upwards - A skier or snowboarder entering a marked run, starting again after stopping or moving upwards on the slopes must look up and down the slopes that he can do so without endangering himself or others.) could be said to cover it.
latest report
achilles, I agree that it is sensible to check uphill in those and many other situations, but the uphill skier/boarder should still have the legal responsibility to avoid the downhill person. Just like with driving, it's a good idea to watch out for other people who are not leaving the space they should be leaving, or people not giving way when they should. As stated in the first post, not everyone knows the rules...on the roads or the slopes.
snow conditions
I must admit I am paranoid about looking and checking and wanting to know where other folks are - it's no different to driving in that respect. I always take even more care in areas where pistes merge, it just seems a sensible thing to do. So given, you would imagine, any persons natural instinct for self preservation why do so many not look?
snow report
Quote:

The biggest problem i've encountered, is passing Snowboarders. You haven't got the foggiest idea which way they are going to turn

Oh so true. I have to leave a massive gap as I pass. Just wish they would return the favour.
latest report
What annoys me is people who just move off without taking into consideration the speed and direction of the uphill skier. Thinking that because they are the downhill skier they have ultimate right of way. I think some people just know the downhill rule and think that covers everything
snow conditions
Is unfortnate that kids and slower skiers are more often at the mercy of others in not being hit but everyone has a part to play in slope safety. This rule is all very well but just like the marine "power gives way to sail" rule some pragmatism and context needs to be employed especially when it is busy. If you are skiing a substantially different line to everyone else you are putting yourself at risk; people randomly starting to turn on a flat where everyone is going straight or traversing the entire width of a slope at a shallow angle out of most people's cone of vision while skiing need to be aware of the difficulties they may cause to others regardless of FIS rules.

Like driving, just because you have right of way doesn't mean forging ahead and driving erratically comapred to the rest of the traffic is OK (and that goes for drivers with L plates too before someone pulls out the beginner argument).
snow conditions
narc wrote:
....traversing the entire width of a slope at a shallow angle

But those are the most predictable of skiiers (and occasionally) boarders and are, as a consequence, easily avoided. Why would they cause you any concern?
latest report
Kel wrote:
What annoys me is people who just move off without taking into consideration the speed and direction of the uphill skier. Thinking that because they are the downhill skier they have ultimate right of way. I think some people just know the downhill rule and think that covers everything

Best just to buzz them very close with a loud shout of "Have a look mate/dahling!" to appraise them of their error.

Having experienced my first European pistes of the winter in VT the other week I remain gobsmacked by poor awareness/resort planning. The ESF meeting point at the main village can only be described as a complete clusterfock with punters and small children randomly milling around in the middle of the only piste connection to about 7 or 8 lifts.
ski holidays
Confession time: when skiing with an off-piste group from one off-piste area to another, on the EoSB, I followed the next person sheep-like, without realising I had just skied over a piste. Luckily there was nobody skiing down the piste, but there easily could have been. My very bad. Embarassed
fatbob, yes, that area at the bottom of the slopes is carnage, isn't it?
latest report
I totally agree that people starting from stationary at the side of the piste have a clear responsibility to look uphill and wait for a gap. People do just start off without looking but I've noticed an increasing tendency to do that on motorways too, where it is even more dangerous. You're driving along in the inside lane, biggish gap behind you, and some dork is joing the motorway, and on a collision course. Clearly they should slow down and slot into the gap behind (or speed up and get in front of you, if the speed limit permits). What they often seem to do, however, is hold their course and speed and assume that people already on the motorway will give way to them, if necessary by pulling out into the path of a faster vehicle blasting up the middle lane).

This behaviour seems to be increasingly common, though AFAIK the only place where traffic in the inside lane MUST give way to joining traffic is the Paris Périphérique. All our motorway junctions have adequate length to allow joining vehicles to match speed with traffic already on the road, and pull out safely. What many seem to do is choose their favoured cruising speed and just sit there, regardless. Often I slow down a bit to allow them to join in front, but once or twice when the road is otherwise pretty empty and the driver seems particularly impervious I have given them a loud blast on the horn instead. You then get the "startled rabbit" look as clearly they'd not thought to look in the mirror.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy