Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Directors

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know how much they're gonna cost? I'm thinking if I move to a cheaper flat next year to saving in rent might let me afford a pair... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And I thought you were calling out the company directors...

I'd be very interested in the answer too - pending a ski on them (hopefully) in a few weeks time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
Anyone know how much they're gonna cost?....

Bit dearer than the Preachers but a bit less than the Redeemers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm pretty interested in a pair too, they're apparently quite light in a 188cm and I figure would make a really nice inbounds/slackcountry ski to put dukes on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, I was thinking of doing something similar with the pair I'm planning on buying. The 190 cm Redeemers are maybe even a touch lighter than my 179 cm Crusades, both with the same Vist bindings on. No metal in 'em
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied the White Dot director at Glencoe during a White Dot test day. They were a lot of fun and easily my favorite ski from the fleet (test was 5 to 10cm fresh on variable base, small mountain). It could be a very good every day rocker-ed ski if that is what your after. Super maneuverable and nimble... Even scribbled a wee review over on tgr.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/216118-White-Dot-Skis-%28test-day-review%29

Apparently the production version will be purple (not pink).
Not exceptionally light - but it would work as a soft snow touring ski assuming your skins fitted the rocker shape well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC wrote:
I'm pretty interested in a pair too, they're apparently quite light in a 188cm and I figure would make a really nice inbounds/slackcountry ski to put dukes on.

I'm thinking the same thing - seem like the perfect 'everyday offpiste' ski. Maybe take the barons off my Bibbys, which in reality are pretty big/heavy to skin any distance with.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a pair of directors with me in les arc this week, will get a review up soon if any one fancies a ski on them with me let me know wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all, got some to test in Mayrhofen if anyone is swinging by soon??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will try a pair of Directors (188cm) on-snow tomorrow and will post a review ASAP for everyone. Stay tuned...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
exoticskis, looking forward to it. Will be interesting what you think of them compared to Tue Redeemers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, hey mate, when are you back in the UK? The guys going on the Off Piste bash want to try the 188 Directors but they leave on Friday/Saturday. Any way you can hook up with them on your return so they can take them to Serre Chevalier?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the_doc wrote:
Hi all, got some to test in Mayrhofen if anyone is swinging by soon??

Just went back to the UK today, but I'll be back out in Innsbruck on the 24th - if you have the demos around then I'd love to come over and play with them!!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 8-03-11 2:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dot., got any Canadian stores/reps yet now you're branching out into the US? Want one? Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dot., we are heading back sat evening back in uk Sunday morning. Ihave been skiing the preachers for the last two days, great ski, Directors today so will post up this evening, conditions in les arc are varied so a good testing ground.
snow report
Day on directors, conditions very varied, wink quick summary I will do a proper write up when back next week.
Off piste powder the directors just make you smile, off piste crud maybe one of the best skis I have skied in rough snow. On piste actually better than I thought they would be, but fast on hard pack gives nice tip vibration. Ice a lot better than most skis you can get huge edge hold for such a short effective edge length.

Colour rolling eyes I was skiing pink and boy did the French take the wee wee Very Happy
snow report
DaveC, Always interested to talk to shops direct where we don't have a distributor Blush

livetoski, pleased you like them. It's been an interesting reaction to the color. It was supposed to be and will be a slightly darker pantone so it's purple rather than a purple-ish pink. It's amazed me how many blokes have said they love the color on the 188s you have as it's so bright and stands out Smile
ski holidays
Leave 'em pink I say! Real men are not afraid to wear - or ski - pink Very Happy
ski holidays
I reckon leave 'em pink too!
latest report
I'd much, much rather a pink pair. My favourite topsheet ever was the Praxis pink lady (http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v238/15/51/197805802/n197805802_39793428_6002.jpg) - pink beats purple hands down!

Dot., want me to ask around or give you some emails for shops in town?
snow conditions
DaveC, either would always be very appreciated.

It's amazing how many blokes are pro the pink color. Don't worry they are only going 1 pantone darker so still very pink-ish in a purple sort of way.
latest report
PINK!
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
PINK!

+1 Laughing
ski holidays
PINK makes them stand out.
Might as well...
latest report
DaveC wrote:
My favourite topsheet ever was the Praxis pink lady

Somehow I doubt that's because there was pink involved wink
latest report
White Dot Freeride "Director" Preproduction Candidate 2011-2012
117-121/107/111-107mm, r=27m @188cm

Manufacturer Info:

World Distribution:
Whitedot Skis Ltd
91-93 Green Lane
Leeds
LS16 7EY
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0) 7971 471306
http://www.whitedotfreeride.com

United States Distribution:
White Dot Freeride
12665 Minuteman Drive Suite 1
Draper, UT 84020
Phone: 801-576-6460
http://www.whitedotusa.com

Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):

$920 usd

Usage Class:

All terrain rockered freeride

My Rating (with comments): (1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

8 for off-piste. 4 for groomed surface carving.

NOTE:
This was a pre-production pair. White Dot confirmed they are alerting the construction slightly to put more rebound snap into the final production version of this ski to liven it up.

Summary:

A solid example of a rockered, tapered tip & tail freeride ski with excellent build quality and components. Favors 3D snow over groomed or firm surfaces. Most suitable for midweight-to-heavier skiers. Damp, planted feel rather than snappy ride. This pair was pre-production evaluation. The manufacturer stated updates to the flex rebound willl occur before final production for 2011-2012 delivery.

Background:

Positioned between White Dot's fully-cambered fat ski ("Preacher" 155-112-133 19m radius@189cm) and their fully-rockered powder ski ("Redeemer"138-142/128/132-128 27m radius) as an "Everyday Rockered Ski", the Director is intended for people who want a 107mm waisted rockered ski for all terrain. Same relative proportions as the Redeemer, scaled down.

Technical Ski Data:

Topsheet screen printed & lacquered (3x layers)
Dry-weave binding retention plate
800g p/Sq.m Bi-Axle Fibreglass
800g p/Sq.m Tri-Axle Fibreglass
Carbon fibre Kevlar stringers
Poplar/Ash Core vertically laminated with Ash strategically placed for extra binding retention
ABS sidewalls (10°)
800g p/Sq.m Tri-Axle Fibreglass
Carbon fibre Kevlar stringers
Rubber foil dampening tape
1.8mm, 360 hardened Steel edge
1.2mm ISO 7200 sintered, die-cut base
100cm effective edge @ 188cm
1mm camber

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Solid construction with very good finish, damp, solid and progressive hand flex. Not a significantly snappy rebound, but smooth response. Torsionally strong. Really nice pinkish-lavender color (White Dot threatens to darken it, but everyone who has seen it says to leave it alone)

Test Conditions:

Powder (shin-to-knee-deep), cut-up powder, packed powder, trees, bumps and hardpack surfaces, cold, dry snow.

Test Results:

Ideal testing conditions after two feet of new snow on a wide variety of terrain ranging from light powder in the trees to windbuffed chalky powder, packed groomers and cue-ball windblown crests had me pysched to put the Director through its paces. My first impression was the Director had a very damp, controlled feel cutting across crud, cut-up powder and powdery bumps. You can set the Director on a path and it stays put, never deflecting across varied surfaces, which inspires confidence. It transitions across surface types predictably and without effort, making it a good choice for freeride terrain. Fairly quick edge-to-edge, with a hint of "solid" feel (not "heavy", but stable feel). The Director likes a slightly foward, agressive stance to get the best performance - it likes to be driven instead of ridden passively, but is easy to drift and slide on demand. Once you drive it into a turn, it likes to have its trajectory maintained by the skier. It is not a ski that pulls itself into the transitions once initiated, but rewards the skier who holds it on-line by being stable, strong and consistent. The Director is not a "snappy" ski with a punch at the end of its turns, but finishes quietly and firmly. I found the turn finish to be slightly unexciting, but stable and predictable (which is a good thing in crud). I would describe the Director as not so much "sporty" as "utilitarian". My personal preference is to have a ski deliver a little "zing" at the end of the turn when requested, while the Director delivers a stable, progressive pressure. Handling in powder was stable and predictable, with quicker response available the faster you went. I think the Director likes faster terrain (think European or Western US terrain rather than Eastern US trees and narrow trails) since it came alive at higher speeds. When skiing the cueball-icy hardpack blown clean of fresh snow, the Directors felt slippery, even at higher edge angles. I quickly looked and saw the base tune appeared to be about 2 degrees. I think the Director's good torsional strength could be brought to bear on harder surfaces by tuning the base at 0.5 or 1 degree (at most) since it showed all the behavior of an over-beveled base in the state of tune I experienced. Having an Eastern-US bias for ski tuning,I have to say the issue may be irrelevant for those who are exposed to nothing but softer snow surfaces. Nevertheless, the Directors were slick in the state of tune they had. Overall, the Director is a good crud-busting, multi-terrain freeride ski with a fairly forgiving, if "reserved" nature. Strong and stable, but lacking a bit of spunk and zing at the end of turns. To be honest, the people at White Dot mentioned they are considering a slight color change (please, don't do it) and stiffening the tip and tail a bit. This could increase the snappiness of the ski's rebound and make it a higher-performance version of the pre-production model I tested, but make it a ski to definitely demo first to make sure it handles the way you like. The price is somewhat higher than some U.S.-made skis in the same category, but it is a ski that should last several seasons of hard use and is very distinctive.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

A small-series Audi 6 or BMW 525 station wagon that is stable and predictable, can drive nearly anywhere and would always do the job no matter what the weather, but not overly exciting. Needs a little tuning to get it to handle tightly on hard surfaces.

Things You Would Change About This Ski:

Improve hard-surface grip with less base bevel tuning, reduce tail dampening slightly or increase fiberglass content in tail section for stronger, more snappy response at end of turns.

Short Answer When Someone Asks "What Do You Think About This Ski?":

Stable, damp and capable rockered 107-waisted ski with strong feel.

Advice To People Considering This Ski:

Demo the ski to see if you might want a more snappy rebound.

Self-Description of Skiing Style, Ability, Experience, Preferences:

5' 11", 180 lbs. Expert groomed-surface carver, "old-style" race inspired, "foot steerer" with fairly sensitive edging feel. Loves to hold long arcs with lots of pressure on the downhill ski (you know the type), but also loves the feel of both skis on-edge leaving tiny railroad track edge tracks. Loves powder when it's not tracked out. 10 year coach for youth race team in New England (bulletproof is the norm).

snow report
Could be pinker, rather than less pink, imo
snow report
Hmmm, I do actually like that colour - looked pinker in another review, which I wasn't quite so sure about.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
exoticskis wrote:
Most suitable for midweight-to-heavier skiers.

Sad I am a lightweight (56kg or 123 pounds) does this really rule this ski out for me?
snow report
Zero-G, no, ski tested was a 188. We're also doing a 178 and 168.
snow conditions
exoticskis, would you say it feels like a mini Redeemer or not?

Zero-G, I'm a lightweight too (albeit not that light!). Just need to be more aggressive to bend 'em
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
exoticskis, would you say it feels like a mini Redeemer or not?

Zero-G, I'm a lightweight too (albeit not that light!). Just need to be more aggressive to bend 'em

The version I tried was not as responsive as the Redeemer, but the folks at White Dot tell me they are increasing the snappiness of the Director in the final production versions. I would say it is not a mini-Redeemer, but a more turny, tighter-radius, less "fat" feeling rockered ski than the Redeemer, which is happy in deeper snow. I think the Director will be more suited to a wider variety of skiers and a wider variety of terrain than the Redeemer because of its geometry. I would reach for a pair of Directors more often than Redeemers in most European resort conditions...and definitely pick the Directors if I was hiking anywhere unless it was for pure Redeemer terrain. The Director feels like a ski that likes to be driven to get the best performance. It is not a sit-back-and-snooze kind of ski like ...let's say the new Nordica Patron (which I tried...see the review here), but a good choice for a solid, reliable and versatile ski made by friendly people at White Dot.

P.S. - Please keep the pink!
latest report
exoticskis, Nice review by the way Happy.
Just a random question - if you used it for hiking as you say, how does that work with a rockered ski?
ski holidays
Dot., relieved. I have set my heart on popping my rockered ski cherry on these skis, so to speak.
snow report
Zero-G, Laughing
ski holidays
exoticskis, thanks. Great review by the way - you cab really get a feel of what the skis are like snowHead
ski holidays
Zero-G wrote:
exoticskis wrote:
Most suitable for midweight-to-heavier skiers.

Sad I am a lightweight (56kg or 123 pounds) does this really rule this ski out for me?

Perfect for the 188 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
DaveC wrote:
Could be pinker, rather than less pink, imo

+1. Like proper neon pink would be ace.
snow report
Neon pink, 192, more carbon/stiffer model? Smile
snow conditions
HHmmm I seem to remember you commenting a while back about how people shouldn't second guess the manufacturers about their ski designs wink

Not that I'd be complaing with those changes lol.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy