Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost my nerve - how do I get it back?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I'm a reasonably experienced skier (20+ weeks).

A few years ago I used to bomb down the piste, not worry about falling on mogully blacks, have a go at off-piste & powder.

But two or three years ago I lost my bottle - I can't put it down to any event in particular.

Last week I was with my family & a couple of others in Val d'Isère (age ranges from 11 upwards) and found it incredibly frustrating that I wasn't keeping up a lot of the time and bottling out of runs that I didn't like the look of. In flat light it was just ridiculous - I would rather have been at work!!! In the whole week I only fell once (idicating skiing well within my limitations).

I know I've got the technique, but has anybody got any ideas how I can get my nerve back?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
watch this... that should do it.

http://www.zapiks.fr/share/player.swf?file=47078

alternatively, go skiing with people who are better than you but also prepared to encourage and push your mental limits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly wrote:
watch this... that should do it.

http://www.zapiks.fr/share/player.swf?file=47078

alternatively, go skiing with people who are better than you but also prepared to encourage and push your mental limits.

get an instructor for a couple of hours; they can then gently push you!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Read "Inner Skiing" http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Skiing-W-Timothy-Gallwey/dp/0679778276?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ecsleath, just a thought but from Manchester you're not too far away for a few weekend trips to Scotland between now & the end of the season. There's the best of the weather coming up and some lovely spring snow to enjoy. I too have skied 150 days plus now but still find that the narrow, wiggly bits at Glencoe in particular (and to a lesser extent, Glenshee too) are brilliant for building confidence on a range of gradients and in a range of conditions that let you push or rediscover yourself at your own pace. If you want a test of nerve and commitment, have a look into Glencoe's Flypaper and if you can manage that you'll be good for anything marked on a European piste map in black or dashed lines. An occasional day or two in Scotland rather than a six or thirteen day stretch in Europe will mean not having to put up with imperfect visibility or conditions for too long so is less of a confidence knock if things don't turn out right. There are plenty of us will be happy to show you around. Smile

PS. I'll never forget Santa at Serre Chevalier wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look in the attic.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ecsleath, if you're not happy charging around don't do it. I think you're unlikely to rediscover your confidence if you are pushing yourself to or beyond what you think your skiing limits might be. Maybe spend a bit of time skiing with somebody you trust is going to keep the skiing within your comfort zone, and give you a focus (following them) which is external rather than internal. That might be an instructor, a friend or a family member. Sports psychology says that if you've had a catastrophic collapse of confidence the best way to deal with it is to return to basics on very gentle terrain rather than just easing back slightly and hoping your confidence returns.

Or try drinking a lot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ecsleath, I doubt that you are much further away in losing your nerve than those of us who still haven't fully found ours in the first place Laughing A lesson with an instructor who will gently push you is not a bad idea I think.

I took a couple of private 2 hr lessons with an instructor in Les Arcs this year. I told them that I could get down (the emphasis on 'get down') a red and an occasional bit of easy black, but still had problems confidence wise with steeps and boiler plate (we had a lot of that there this year so that wasn't good for me). By the end of the second lesson I was playing 'chase the instructor', with him leading me over all sorts of surfaces at some fair degree of speed and I found myself skiing to a standard that would never have pushed myself to alone (I only 'bottled' 1 rather short turn on a ledge next to a rather sheer - IMV - edge), but I hadn't noticed that I had gently been pushed there during the hours of the lesson.

In addition I will also say that whilst I don't advocate being 'under the influence' whilst on the snow, I undoubtedly ski better with just a tiny 'drink' of something that inspires bravery inside me wink .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Patience, snow hours and accept you might never be the group hooligan. I have as much experience as ANY 2 of my group added together (10* some of them!) and if the light goes, or it's very icy I'm still the one at the back. So be it, as long as I am having fun I am ok, and I have them drilled not to leave me when it is snowing if they want to live (also i carry the chalet key, that helps Twisted Evil )

If you aren't having fun in conditions you want to be out in, then practice is they key, imo when it comes to light (unlike ice/powder where lessons do help) a lot of it is just time in the bad conditions with people patient with you. I can now handle flat light for an odd run or two, but if it's more than that (& no sign of better things higher/lower/next valley) I go have a hot chocolate and see if conditions improve! As megamum implies I also find 1 vin chaud or choco-rum can be helpful to those of us who are a little over cautious by default.

Remember, It's not a crime to be cautious Wink

aj xx
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I think you're unlikely to rediscover your confidence if you are pushing yourself to or beyond what you think your skiing limits might be. Maybe spend a bit of time skiing with somebody you trust is going to keep the skiing within your comfort zone, and give you a focus (following them) which is external rather than internal. That might be an instructor, a friend or a family member. Sports psychology says that if you've had a catastrophic collapse of confidence the best way to deal with it is to return to basics on very gentle terrain rather than just easing back slightly and hoping your confidence returns.

This. Maybe some people profit from being pushed by skiing with people better than them (my son shared a flat with a top instructor in Val D'Isere one season, and said he learnt heaps from going out with them on their days off - it would have reduced me to a gibbering wreck, I guarantee, and I hate feeling that I am having to ski outside my comfort zone to keep up).

Find the right instructor. Maybe do some "out of season" practice, with coaching, somewhere like Hemel. Or Tamworth - closer to home?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another thing that I think I have seen discussed previously is that as we get older we do tend to get 'wiser' read 'more cautious' as I think the wisdom of reality and our own fragility sets in rather more when you reach the point of not healing up as quickly as you once did. Perhaps you are just re-learning how to deal with the reality of 'getting older'? I know I am and I know I don't like it Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is a question which interests me very much. I have friends who come to ski with me who have much the same problem. Their technique is fine, they can ski virtually any piste and seldom fall. But they lack confidence. The suggestions above all seem very reasonable. My own belief is that relaxing is the real solution but that is easier said than done. Try it on slopes that don't frighten you. Also do try to go just that little faster than you think you can (work up gently). If you are fighting to slow yourself down all the time, skiing is much harder than when you let the skis run.

Any better ideas?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i'm guessing that your boyd has forgoten how to start a turn well, and youve got some bad habits ingrained; as a result you are not stable in the early part of the turn, you end up skidding the second part of the turns, you find yourself oversteering and your calves and knees hurt, and youconstantly feel on teh edge of control, so you hav eto slow down cos your weight is going backwards and forwards all over the place etc etc.

been there, done it, several times over, and generally get throught it.

i doubt that most instructors can spot in just an hour what the change might be, if theyve never seen before. If you've got a bit longer then you have a chance - think about the indoor slopes- get better value 1:1 lessons there.

Or, get back to basics.
for example first day this week i was skiing , not great , but skiing. My wight was all over the place, the skis were skidding, and i was up for skiing back into town and swapping my sks for some beginners easy skis. I got the technique book out that evening, did some basic exercises turning my toe in and then my knee in while sitting on a chair to get teh basic movements back ingrained. Next day, first turn, made the same moves, ski carved, and the holiday started. The adrenaline came back, bombed down lots of empty pistes, and donw some good steep stuff.

Have confidence - it can come back as quickly as it went.

Good luck Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Any better ideas?

well, I have suggested before now skiing to music - it helps me a lot when I feel under confident because of poor vis, flat light, or whatever. But it's generally a rather unpopular suggestions - particularly with people who have never tried it. wink

And a vin chaud - already got that up on the suggestions board.

I am actually quite a confident skier, on the whole, but I do find Val D'Isere can be a bit intimidating - it's maybe not the ideal spot for re-discovering your mojo. Similarly Chamonix - because there are so many very good skiers there (as well as too many plonkers going too fast, and generally too many people). I love Chamonix's mountain vibe, but it's not confidence-inducing in the old and feeble.
ski holidays
I also find that I've got a 'bloody hell, this feels too fast' speed that cuts in and slows me down - I've not worked out why, but again it must be a confidence issue. Maybe the OP could think about what aspects they struggle with in that sort of a way and ask an instructor to help. pam w, sorry, still haven't tried the music wink
snow report
Lessons. Technique dispels fear, even in the old and feeble. wink
snow report
Yes, most definitely lessons, but that has already been suggested more than once. By far the most important thing.

Megamum, thing is, you have been steadily improving your technique and confidence (by the sound of it) whereas the OP used to be much more confident, and found he's lost his nerve, which is maybe a bit different.

And no, I don't think
Quote:

'bloody hell, this feels too fast'

is necessarily a confidence issue at all. I definitely have that feeling sometime, and I am fairly convinced it's because I find myself skiing faster than I can competently control, and faster than someone with my ability SHOULD be skiing. It's a very good thing to have that feeling, I reckon, and it's just rather unfortunate that you see some skiers around who are pretty hopeless and ski far too fast.

Good job some of us are more prudent!

My niece borrowed our apartment for half term, with her OH and son, and another family of 4. Their 7 year old had had a couple of dry slope lessons, done really well, and was desperate to ski on snow. I (being bossy) strongly recommended they let me book him some lessons but they were sure he'd be fine. He fell on his second run down a nice green slope (when his mum had been yelling at him to slow down) and was hauled off to the medical centre next morning when still complaining about his leg. No wonder he was complaining, poor little sod, spiral fracture of tibia - straight into toe to hip plaster. Sad there are lots of "confident" skiers around - not all 7 years old - whose confidence is sadly, quite unfounded!

Certainly there are also some capable but very under-confident skiers around, and then the best answer is a really good private instructor who will judge just the right amount of encouragement to provide. Not their mates assuring them that this is an "easy black" and then whooshing down it at top speed.
snow report
pam w wrote:
well, I have suggested before now skiing to music

Yes. Sing as you ski to get the rhythm. It doesn't have to be out loud - but that helps.
snow report
Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

I don't think my problem's particularly to do with technique. My red/blue piste skiing is pretty efficient (I can ski all day without any thigh-burn) - I just seem to lose it when faced with steep slopes (or poor visibility). I have no problems with icy slopes either - in fact I was usually first down that sort of stuff last week and quite enjoyed it (unlike my companions).

I've ordered the "Inner Skiing" book (thanks dippdydoodogg) and will read it before my trip to Morzine at the back end of next week.

I may well take Megamum's advice and have a lesson too.

However, I'm starting to come round to the idea that I should just ski how I want to and not worry about anybody else.

Nice to be remembered moffatross, that was a fun week!

Cheers,

Ed
snow report
ecsleath, Very Happy However, with a nod the everyone else, several here also suggested it wink
latest report
Would be interested to know what you think of Inner Skiing. It changed my attitude completely (much to my surprise!).
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
ecsleath, if you're not happy charging around don't do it. I think you're unlikely to rediscover your confidence if you are pushing yourself to or beyond what you think your skiing limits might be. Maybe spend a bit of time skiing with somebody you trust is going to keep the skiing within your comfort zone, and give you a focus (following them) which is external rather than internal. That might be an instructor, a friend or a family member. Sports psychology says that if you've had a catastrophic collapse of confidence the best way to deal with it is to return to basics on very gentle terrain rather than just easing back slightly and hoping your confidence returns.

Or try drinking a lot.

Follow this advice, preferably the first paragraph for skiing purposes, the second if you don't want to remember the skiing experiences.....
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I think you're unlikely to rediscover your confidence if you are pushing yourself to or beyond what you think your skiing limits might be.

ecsleath, though I understand the logic of this, I fear the advice might be mis-interpreted, i.e. taken to mean you shouldn't try anything that worries you. If you have that approach, I suspect you will never progress much. No-one is asking you to push yourself (far) beyond your skiing limits. Indeed, you said that you thought you were skiing well within your ability.

But there are situations that worry you, e.g. steeps and flat light. Both are very natural problems and probably the great majority of skiers have trouble with them at times. Flat light tends to bring bad habits, makes one want to sit back and then skiing is that much more difficult. Technique goes to pot. I don't really know an answer for that except to relax more (so that you can react better to the contours of the piste and stay better balanced on the skis) and not think too much about what is directly under the skis.

That steep slopes are off-putting is understandable - it's self-preservation. One imagines all that can go wrong on the descent. Even with almost 50 years of snow under my skis I still have that problem sometimes. A few weeks back I skied the Nordabfahrt from the Zwölferkogel in Hinterglemm for the first time and that had a section where I had to grit my teeth and go for it rather than chicken out on the "bypass" that was there. Of course, I was convinced (well, almost) that I could manage the slope. Next time it should be easier (I hope). But I think there are times when you have to force yourself not to take the easy way if you hope to improve your confidence. It's a slow business but the results make the struggle worthwhile in the long term.
snow report
espri wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I think you're unlikely to rediscover your confidence if you are pushing yourself to or beyond what you think your skiing limits might be.

ecsleath, though I understand the logic of this, I fear the advice might be mis-interpreted, i.e. taken to mean you shouldn't try anything that worries you.
I think it's important to take in to account the second part of my post (the bit about rebuilding confidence on relatively easy slopes) a sort of back to basics approach, before testing yourself again on steeper terrain. If you used to have the confidence to tackle challenging terrain but you have now completely lost it, simply doing the same thing over and over and hoping to MTFU is unlikely to lead to a different outcome.
snow conditions
I hear you. In my last 6 week's skiing I've fallen once - which as you say, indicates that I'm not pushing myself at all.

I've taken a few private lessons and I will happily follow an instructor anywhere - yet go to pieces on my own.

Things which work for me:

i) Really lost it this year so went in to the hire shop and demanded short, buttery planks which did give me a confidence boost.
ii) empty pistes (will not be returning to the Alps!)
iii) I actually skiied better in a white-out because I'm not being distracted by others being asshats, by what I can see or what's coming - I just ski and of course all you can rely on is feel.

I want my mojo back though. Sad

It might sound daft but I want to return to a mountain I know I have skiied well in the past - home comforts maybe? I'm going to go back, book a full day's private and get some video analysis.

People tell me that I "look great" but it doesn't feel great feeling close to a panic attack and looking up at steep faces and thinking "5 years ago I'd have been up that". I didn't used to carry a piste map because it didn't matter where I came off the lift...
latest report
clarky999.... just LOL Very Happy
snow conditions
Alexandra wrote:
It might sound daft but I want to return to a mountain I know I have skiied well in the past - home comforts maybe?

This is a good idea, also in the sense of repeating a run until you're happier on it. First time down it's nervy. But, having survived, the next time you can take it easier and gradually build up confidence. On repeated runs you can speed up, for example, or take a more direct line you wouldn't have fancied earlier. Or add in a bit you skirted round first go, try more difficult snow.

rob@rar's advice to go back to basics (which always helps) is no doubt the best for someone who has lost all confidence. But that's not how I read the OP. I thought that ecsleath usually felt fine and was happy on his skis but then lost his nerve a bit when the going got tough. I know the feeling! There practising basics will help but then comes the time when you just have to jump the hurdle. Always stepping back just makes it more difficult. In the end it boils down to the fact that has often been mentioned here, that skiing is 80-90% in the head. Being confident in the basics can give that extra boost needed but equally, if you know that really you could manage a slope, sometimes you just have to give it a go. Once started, it's (mostly) not too bad.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri, I find breaking it down helps too... In order to carve arc to arc turns on a steeper slope I start by carving 1 then 1.5 then 2 etc etc...

It is easier as you say once you have done it... I find it easy to then say... hmmm maybe I could do another half a turn...

Earlier in my skiing I would break unfamiliar slopes down like this... do one turn... then maybe 1.5 or 2... etc etc... pretty quickly I'd be skiing the slope...
ski holidays
Alexandra, that makes sense to me. As luck would have it, I'm off to PdS tomorrow which is the place I know far better than anywhere else. I've happily(ish) skied blacks in the past such as Creux off the top of Chamossière and those on Mont Chery so I think I'll give some of those a go.

I also like little tiger's suggestion. I think that's probably how I used to ski steep/mogully stuff in the past - Just look at the next 2 or 3 turns knowing I can do it rather than looking in the distance at the intimidating potential kilometre slide if you fall. Doesn't make for a particularly smooth/rhythmical run though!

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
latest report
ecsleath, Best of luck - I'll be interested to hear if it works on your "home hill". I also do the counting out the turns thing, if I can link 3 then I can link 40 - it really is a mental block. Sad

I honestly used to ski anything and yet now I find myself questioning whether to go down a black or not, it's downright embarrassing. Embarassed

What's your equipment like? I took the wrong pair of skis on my last holiday - I took a pair of big, stiff all-mountain skis and would've been better off (given conditions) in the short pair of Whitedot Ones I have. As I said before I went in to the hire shop and for 2 days hired a pair of really short and much softer skis (for me) - which I suppose was like doing a day on snowblades! It did show me that I can ski, simply a case of not being able to at the time. After those 2 days on the rentals I was skiing like someone who had actually seen snow before.
snow report
Alexandra, don't you think some of this might be due to having become a mother and, maybe even subconsciously, knowing you've got to keep yourself safe?

(May I be forgiven: there was I, on another thread, accusing someone else of psychobabble. rolling eyes Sorry. Embarassed)
ski holidays
Hurtle, hello, no - no fear there. I was back on the horse 6 weeks after having the baby and I've no sedate Shetland Pony! Wink The nerves when skiing problem is something which has been happening over the last few holidays. I think it started off as "boot problems" leaving me with numb feet and loss of confidence - obviously if you can't feel your feet you don't want to be on a steep mogul field! Then I went to a few places which were far busier than I'm used to and it put the heebie-jeebies up me - there's been chapters written already about this "out of control" phenomena so I'll not add to it.

As far as the motherhood thing goes - I hope I'm not the only one who thinks "yaaaaaaay - I've a whole day sans bebe!" Wink
snow report
Alexandra, good on you! Very Happy
snow conditions
Alexandra wrote:
The nerves when skiing problem is something which has been happening over the last few holidays. I think it started off as "boot problems" leaving me with numb feet and loss of confidence - obviously if you can't feel your feet you don't want to be on a steep mogul field!

Interesting. That's what started my issues off I think. I don't get 'nerves' as in fear of the slope, what I get is a fear of being able to get down it without having to stop and cry from the pain half way down. Or, as you say, fear that my feet/legs will operate as my brain is directing them to do. It's been holding me back a lot lately and as such, my confidence in my ability is suffering. Confused
ski holidays
Alexandra, that bit about questioning yourself sounds just like me!

I hire skis now (I couldn't imagine doing without my lovely Salomon boots) after the cost of carriage & servicing made having your own skis non-economical. I'll tend to have a chat with the ski hire bloke about type of skis - i.e. Fairly advanced, 90% piste skiing. I've usually been pretty happy with the skis.

The problem's with the skier, not the skis wink
snow report
Alexandra, If motherhood didn't change your attitude then you are lucky. It made me very aware of my own mortality, for example I went from positively enjoying the opportunity to fly in an aeroplane to suddenly hating the notion of being at the whim of someone else 36000ft up. I will still do it, but I no longer look forward to the chance to do so. When I started skiing it was a two edged sword - if terrifed me, but my Swiss friends had got my kids skiing and I knew that I needed to be able to follow them up and around the mountain. For a long time I skied because I had to. It took a certain SH's holiday before I started to ski because I enjoyed it. I still find skiing frustrating in the extreme though because I am a perfectionist and it bothers me that I can't ski 'technically' well, but these days the fear is much less. However, I think I ski as much for the satisfaction I now get out of being able to now to ski down what I once couldn't have contemplated as I do for the enjoyment. There are many times when it's not 'enjoyable', but the 'satisfaction' is the driver at the moment. Does that make sense?
latest report
ecsleath, So how did you get on - did the book help?
snow report
I think one thing to bear in mind is that even expert skiers do not feel the same on an icy steep black / in poor conditions as they do on a blue / red with perfect snow. From the outside they may look like they are skiing perfectly, but there's a lot going on under the surface! It took me a long time to realise this.
latest report
beanie1, So do you believe that expert skiers (say instructor + levels) still find situations that they find fearful?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy