Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance Query - no enough ski days on annual policy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I have an annual policy with the Ski Club of GB that covers me for 14 days skiing. Since getting the policy I have skied for 9 days and am heading off for another 6 days skiing in a week.

The problem is that I won’t be covered from my last days skiing which is a concern. I know some people would risk it but I am not one of those people so have contacted the SCGB to see if they can top up the policy for one extra days skiing. The answer was yes but it is going to cost approx. £33.00 to add an extra day’s cover on for two adults. The pricing seems in proportionate to me when the annual policy cost £118.00 Confused

So my next suggestion was that I end my annual policy early and start the new one to cover me for the last day. The operative said she understood what I was suggesting but that I cannot be abroad when one policy end's and another one starts and that the cover must be in place from the start of the trip. I said I could understand that if I was using two different companies but surly if I was using the same company (if in the event of an accident) they could check their records and see that Policy A ended at 11:59:59 and Policy B started at 12:00:00 so there would not be a duplicate claim.

I informed the operative that whilst she had been very pleasant on the phone and understood what I was getting at there was no reward for re-peat custom or loyalty to this insurance.

Does anyone have any experience of this and what did you do to resolve it?
Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.onedaytravel.co.uk/

I got a quote for one day's skiing for a couple = £10.50.

Carte Neige gives you insurance for getting off the piste for 2E 70 a day - buy in resort
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sunshine81, I was told by my insurers that as long as I am not abroad when I actually take out the new policy the cover is continuous. I'm insured with Direct travel, they cover me for unlimited trips of up to 17 days each, and my policy always runs out during our trip in mid-March. I renew before we travel. I'm sure I have asked them about this in the past.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, that's usefult oknow - I didn't know there were rules around renewals while abroad. I am unlikely to be abroad at my renewal time but it's possible
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx,that reminds me I have a renewal notice to check.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sunshine81, try Snowcard, off the top of my head I think they'll offer you more for less and will cover much more time abroad. They might even take on your extra day . . . www.snowcard.co.uk
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend of mine who works in insurance says that not correct at all a policy starts from the day you require it to and doesn't matter where you are. with the exception of car insurance. you can even buy new insurance on line whilst on holiday and it is perfectly legal as long you are not trying to claim for something that happened previously. Sounds like ski club of GB are trying to make some extra money from you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richiavo A policy starts from whenever you and the insurer agree it starts; it is a contract (much) like any other. The insurer can place any conditions it likes on the policy, and you have a choice to buy, or not . . .

The OP is trying to get around a policy restriction by cancelling one contract and starting a new one. I would be surprised if there were a problem actually renewing the policy if the annual renewal occurred mid holiday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I would be surprised if there were a problem actually renewing the policy if the annual renewal occurred mid holiday.

I wouldn't be surprised. If something fairly major had already gone wrong (e.g. someone had a bad injury on last day of the old policy, and was going to need expensive treatment and medivac home within a week or so, the company would be crazy to renew the policy, frankly. they can always decline to renew any policy - and why wouldn't they?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses and the other options to look at. Guess I need to spend a bit of time on the internet.

It's frustrating that I have had my policy for a number of years now and they are not willing to deal with me and secure another annual policy. I think I might need to go back to them and play hardball. I wonder where I would stand if I had Carte Neige for the final day? It's my understanding that Carte Neige would get me off the mountain and to a hospital so would the annual policy then pick up the hospital tab and get me back home?

Will email them and let you know how I get on.

Cheers
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sunshine81, Ask them if you can upgrade from Standard to Super because Super has 21 days wintersports cover. You can say you need the higher limits for cancellation etc and that way the subject of skiing days need not come up. Very unusual for a policy to have 14 days of wintersports, most (including other Mondial-backed policies) have 17 as a minimum. AFAIK the number of days isn't policed unless, of course, the insurer is facing a huge claim and it might be in their interests to investigate.

pam w, obviously a person would be stupid to renew while actually on holiday, most would sort it out before going and make the insurer aware that the new policy was going to start while they are away - that way no problem. Technically there is no such thing as a renewal - they are all new annual contracts and, if you have already left the country, your policy might well be invalid if purchased after travelling. Apparently a common scam... person goes without insurance, has accident, immediately buys over the internet and attempts to claim by pretending it all happened a day after the actual event. It's why claims handlers ask you for proof of travel, airline tickets etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

so would the annual policy then pick up the hospital tab and get me back home?

No, I wouldn't think so - I certainly wouldn't, if I were running a business and your contract had expired!
Quote:

Technically there is no such thing as a renewal - they are all new annual contracts

Yes, that was exactly what my insurer told me this year, come to think of it - had to re-do the medical declarations etc etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My SCGB insurance was due to expire midway through one holiday, so when I renewed I asked about cover for the entire holiday and, in short, they said there was no problem.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
14 days skiing total? not even per trip? sounds like a crappy deal - vote with your wallet/feet and change providers!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
a.j. wrote:
14 days skiing total? not even per trip? sounds like a crappy deal - vote with your wallet/feet and change providers!

There's nothing to stop you starting a new annual one up with a different (and more generous) provider just before you go away.

Direct Travel are good. If you buy an annual policy they appear to do 17 days per ski trip (not 17 days in total, all year) See page 30 of http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/documents/current-policy-wording.pdf Cover is in place for winter sport for a period not exceeding 17 days for each journey during the period of cover.

I paid £54 for a whole year. (And no, I've got nothing to do with the company!)

I did wonder if that was too good to be true though. Does anybody here interpret that wording differently? Puzzled
ski holidays
My parents couldn't extend their cover from overseas when they stayed on at my sisters in Oz. Told it was to stop people only insuring when something had happened
ski holidays
wigan, the direct travel is as you read it afaik, I've checked it with them (and used it) before - I often clock up more than 17 days in a single policy year due to varying holiday dates if nothing else. aj xx
latest report
a.j., Fabulous Very Happy
I decided not to ask, but just to argue with them over their wording if it came to it.

Odd then that the Tea Club policies should cut people so short on errrr skiing...
snow report
i have used direct travel for years. very good value. very flexible. I have a claim pending at the moment - will let you know how they handle it.

how will SCGB know that you have already used 9 days of your ski cover. its not like a lift pass where its obvious you have used some days ?
snow conditions
backhojo, that's an interesting question. I know when hubby injured himself a couple of years ago, Direct Travel wanted all details of our journey to and from the UK as part of the claim. It was less than 17 days, but if it had been for longer, how would they (or we for that matter) prove we were not planning to stay elsewhere in France (which we have done on occasions) and not ski ?
latest report
Quote:

the Tea Club policies should cut people so short on errrr skiing...

depends what policy you buy - you can buy one with unlimited skiing, but naturally it costs a lot more than one limited to just a few days.
snow report
Quote:

the Tea Club policies should cut people so short on errrr skiing...

depends what policy you buy - you can buy one with unlimited skiing, but naturally it costs a lot more than one limited to just a few days.
snow conditions
It is a pity you didn't anticipate that you might ski more than 14 days and get a longer policy. I ski about 25 days per year - plus a couple of travel days - so always get the Ski Club of GB insurance which covers the maximum I might do. Easy to say after the event of course.

Does what you were offered re-grade your whole annual cover to the higher level? I presume your policy covers your travel days as well so you would think 16 days should be the norm, rather than 14.
latest report
backhojo, I've always wondered that.
If you claim I think they have every right to do as Hells Bells, mentions and ask for full info on what you've been up to on that trip, where, how long etc.
But the OP has split their days over two trips and will only run short of ski-days in the second trip. How's the insurer to ever check how long a previous holiday, unconnected to any claim, was - and how many days the OP spent skiing on it?!
snow report
backhojo wrote:
i have used direct travel for years. very good value. very flexible. I have a claim pending at the moment - will let you know how they handle it.

how will SCGB know that you have already used 9 days of your ski cover. its not like a lift pass where its obvious you have used some days ?

I wondered this too, but there are reasons to think that the insurers would find out. Firstly the insuree (is that even a word) has already spoken to the SCGB and told them... Secondly, in the event of a large claim (and a medical claim could easily reach 5 figures) I'm sure the insurers would look very closely at your situation... And most resorts do have the ability to see how many days (and even how many lifts) you used, it is not beyond the realms of possiblity that an insurer could trace your lift pass details from your credit card bill and then get the data from the lift company. I'm not saying it is likely that they would do it, but it as least a theoretical possibility. In practise data protection laws in Europe may well make this very hard I suspect.

Given that the point of insurance is to cover a potential loss that you could not cover yourself it really does not make sense to "try it on", no matter how easy it may appear. When I first read this post my thought was "surely they had a day off skiing in the first trip, right? Nudge nudge, wink wink", but thinking about again it I really wouldn't mess with the insurers - it can be hard enough to get money out of them when you are in the right, if you "break the rules" you really would be in trouble.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the insurance may not cover the second trip at all in this case, because the intention was to ski for more than the limited number of days. I would double check the small print on this - if you are covered then just buy one more day's cover elsewhere.
ski holidays
How about not doing it because it is dishonest? There has been an awful lot of indignation in snowheads about MPs fiddling their expenses. Perhaps we should apply the same standard of expectation to ourselves.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
How about not doing it because it is dishonest?

That too.
ski holidays
achilles, we're not suggesting the OP actually lies, most people have suggested buying a new policy before the second trip with more/unlimited ski days. We're just wondering, hypothetically, how the issue is ever policed rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i think the OP should dump the policy immediatley as its clearly overpriced and infelxible. SCGB is supposed to be for ...erm...SKIERS and this should be the cheapest and best policy out there. clearly it isnt !

with direct travel your policy renews where the last once expired so even if you are in resort you get continuous cover - as long as you sort payment in advance before you go.
snow report
Quote:

How about not doing it because it is dishonest?

+1

and if anybody were intending to be dishonest they'd have to be a dishonest mug to post about it on the internet, wouldn't they?
snow conditions
agree
not suggesting insurance fraud - just wondering how they police the policy. 14days in total seems totally unworkable - not enough to cover the insured and impossible to police by the insurer. also - a very uncompetitive policy - surprised they get any business !
snow conditions
sah wrote:
backhojo wrote:

I wondered this too, but there are reasons to think that the insurers would find out. Firstly the insuree (is that even a word) has already spoken to the SCGB and told them... Secondly, in the event of a large claim (and a medical claim could easily reach 5 figures) I'm sure the insurers would look very closely at your situation... And most resorts do have the ability to see how many days (and even how many lifts) you used, it is not beyond the realms of possiblity that an insurer could trace your lift pass details from your credit card bill and then get the data from the lift company. I'm not saying it is likely that they would do it, but it as least a theoretical possibility. In practise data protection laws in Europe may well make this very hard I suspect.

Given that the point of insurance is to cover a potential loss that you could not cover yourself it really does not make sense to "try it on", no matter how easy it may appear. When I first read this post my thought was "surely they had a day off skiing in the first trip, right? Nudge nudge, wink wink", but thinking about again it I really wouldn't mess with the insurers - it can be hard enough to get money out of them when you are in the right, if you "break the rules" you really would be in trouble.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the insurance may not cover the second trip at all in this case, because the intention was to ski for more than the limited number of days. I would double check the small print on this - if you are covered then just buy one more day's cover elsewhere.

This had crossed my mind but it's not something I am willing to risk. I knew a guy who was out boarding and broke his leg (actually he might have broken both of them) without adequate insurance. I can’t remember the exact details but it meant has dad had to come out of retirement and go back to work to pay for the medical bills!

Anyway I emailed SCGB this morning and they confirmed that I could upgrade my policy but in their words "This would not be a cost effective option with so little time left on your policy". They also said that I could get a single days cover but don’t seem to appreciate why I feel that this charge is disproportionate to the annual policy that I have. I am happy to pay something and don’t expect cover for free but I don’t feel that this pricing strategy is fair.

They then gave me the general blah blah about how winter sport limits are set by the underwriters and that whilst other firms may indeed have more days skiing in their policies their coverage is not as extensive... To be honest I am not really that bothered at who set's the limits etc. I am a customer of SCGB and cannot believe for one second that they do not have the ability to contact the underwriters and negotiate a deal on my behalf to retain a repeat customer. Sounds more like a case of they can’t be bothered.

This might interest you as well, I asked them about Carte Neige for the final day and this is the response - "As to the situation if you were to purchase Carte Neige – as you would have been injured whilst doing a winter sports activity on that final day, you would not be covered for any medical expenses or for repatriation relating to the accident on the mountain, as you would have participated in the activity knowing that you were not insured".

So all in all I am completely dissatisfied but I have responded with a few more queries so they might come good in the end.

Either way I shall keep you updated.

Cheers
snow conditions
I found that the SCGB insurance options were distinctly limited for those over 65 - basically I would have had to taken out their most expensive policy, which insured me for stuff I did not want - especially where household insurance already did so. I used to regard the SCGB as a benchmark for skiers' insurance - but I think those days have gone. I use the BMC.
snow report
I asked the similar question of my insurer at the time - the Post Office - and they said in reality they number of days could not be enforced and they recognised that the policy was for recreational 'holiday' skiers (and they had to put some limit on it) and not people living in the alps etc., and basically hinted that if I had a few days extra on the mountain then it was not a problem, as long as I did not tell them Very Happy but that if I was going out for a month or two then the policy was not appropriate.
ski holidays
backhojo wrote:
i think the OP should dump the policy immediatley as its clearly overpriced and infelxible. SCGB is supposed to be for ...erm...SKIERS and this should be the cheapest and best policy out there. clearly it isnt !

with direct travel your policy renews where the last once expired so even if you are in resort you get continuous cover - as long as you sort payment in advance before you go.

Having read the latest response I think this is the best option. And what a shame that they are unwilling to try and resolve this. I feel like such a mug for recommending this cover to my pals.

Anyway you live and learn...

Thanks for all the responses, comments and options. I have just booked flights for a few days skiing in April so will look forward to dealing with a more customer orientated company.

Sunshine81
snow conditions
Sunshine81 wrote:
....This might interest you as well, I asked them about Carte Neige for the final day and this is the response - "As to the situation if you were to purchase Carte Neige – as you would have been injured whilst doing a winter sports activity on that final day, you would not be covered for any medical expenses or for repatriation relating to the accident on the mountain, as you would have participated in the activity knowing that you were not insured".

exactly what I would expect of any annual insurance where the maximum number of sking days had already been used
snow conditions
Sunshine81, How do they know how many days you've done already? Do you tell them when you are going? If SKGB get picky, as they appear to be doing I'd tell them that inless they let you book a one day policy you'll change providers next year...................or take a flyer an dgte a Carte Neige whilst out there for 1 day.
ski holidays
Worth thinking about what you get for your travel insurance in Europe, your ehic card covers the medical expenses so why bother with it? If the worst happened you would have to find the cost of a flight home and probably a week or so in a hotel.

Outside of the EU of course it isn't worth the risk.
snow conditions
landmannnn, we've been over this so many times before. Ambulance transfer, Helicopter, not every ski resort has a clinic that is covered by the public healthcare system. Refund of your unused lift pass etc etc. By chance last week I found the minutes of our local council meetin in Monetier-les-Bains, where fees for the season for rescue services were discussed.

Here's a few examples.

Asisstance at the Front de Neiges. 35€
Scooter / hour 74€
rescue from Close range 226€
Remote area 398€
Off-piste (nearby) 788€
Hourly rate machine (unspecified machine) 196€
RESCUER day 36€ PER HOUR
rESCUER night 55€ PER HOUR

and transport costs.................

Helicopter 49,80€ per minute.
Ambulance from bottom of pistes to local hospital (approx 12km) 125€ during the week and 185€ on weekends and holidays.

Very unwise to have no insurance, and should you need repatriated with a severe spinal injury, you would not be able to travel on a normal flight, you would need air ambulance and nursing assistance at the very least.

Think hard, very hard, could you really afford it for the sake of around £60 for an annual policy?
latest report
Long long time ago I used to work for Natwest. I took out their annual policy, with 17 days annual. I too asked - how they would know if I exceeded that? The broker came back to me and said basically they couldn't - it was, as above, an arbitrary limit to ensure it was used for holiday makers, not seasonaires.
As it happens I don't think I ever did exceed the 17days (I was young, I was poor, times were hard blah blah...)

However, having blown your cover, you have little choice but to play by the rules. But 14 days? - that's really not a smart policy from the SCGB - I'd move too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy