Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storm Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Seen adverts for them a few times, has anyone used them or have any experiance of them?

http://www.stormskis.com/company.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which model? They proved quite popular on the ski tests and a friend has a pair of Infernos in 155, finds them a fantastic piste ski but a little soft for skiing gates/ice compared to a stock SL ski.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 17-02-11 13:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never skied their skis but can vouch for the team. Andy and the guys are a great bunch and I've heard very good things about the inferno.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, was looking at the Inferno's so thats real handy to know

Dot Nice selection of Ski's mate snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Little Angel

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 3-03-11 12:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
meandrew, no, they have their own moulds and do their own RnD.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Infernos ski really nicely for a piste ski - some reviews on the sticky 09/10 review thread above or just tap up admin and ask if you can borrow his.

Don't do as I did - assume you are Bode Miller and fall on your a*se within 3 yards bashing up his nice topsheets in the process.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yea saw that review, Will bear it in mind bob thanks, unlucky bout the topsheets mate

the other thought was:

The actual difference between Storm Detonate & the Inferno's?

snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just bought a set of hardly used (guy I got them from says 2 runs, looking at them its hard to tell they have done anything!) Storm Auroras, pre-release set of model Storm haven't put on the market yet. Not had chance to ski them yet and as they don't fit in my ski bag won't get chance next week but they look to be the business.
Chap I bought them from is an instructor at Swadlincote dry slope and he says all the instructors there love them (from what he says I think Storm have a close relationship with the Swad staff as it there local slope). While I was down there picking them up saw 3 or 4 instructors with various storms. Said he was selling them as he has just got yet another set of Storms and much as he liked them couldn't see them getting used any time soon.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thx 4 info dav snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For what it maybe worth, we have 3 pairs in the Workshop, all with exploded sidewalls and delam' issues. The belong to a Rider who does put them through their paces, but none the less, we have a shed full of Riders skis and none of them have such major issues, so often.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
whoa very handy to know small, I presume he's caning them off piste??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thanks for the info, at least for me Storm are a local company so will be off to see them if mine explode!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Little Angel

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 3-03-11 12:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/WuLhm-jQ494
latest report
meandrew, no Sportens the same dimensions as the Auroras I've got go don't think they are all sportens.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, To be fair that's the sort of workout that would be difficult to pull a " I was just cruising along a blue run" warranty claim on.
snow report
Little Angel

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-03-11 12:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Little Angel

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 3-03-11 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Little Angel

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 3-03-11 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I got to ski on much of the lineup two seasons ago..if these reviews help...

http://www.exoticskis.com/forum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=38
snow conditions
meandrew, yes Storm share some of their moulds with some other manufacturers (as do a number of other manufacturers) but if the you think that the materials used in their construction & then how they ski is the same then you are very mistaken.
ski holidays
I personally liked the way the Storm Skis behaved. Looking at the links provided by meandrew above, it appears Andy at Storm Skis has copied some of the same construction material graphics from Sporten for use at the Storm skis site. Sporten has been making decent skis for many years, and priced well. For many companies, having your own designs built in an OEM professional factory with workers with decades of ski-building experience and full-fledged workshop/factory equipment and production facilities is a smart move to bring your designs to market, and filling-out your product line with existing models from that same (or different) factory can make good business-sense and get a good product to the customer at a decent price.

Check out the "woodcore" "base" and "structured topsheet" icons between these two pages:

http://www.stormskis.com/tempestnew.html
http://www.sporten.cz/eng/catalog/alpine-skis/free-skis/product:225

STORM:

SPORTEN:

latest report
Little Angel

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-03-11 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Little Angel

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 3-03-11 12:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I was just wondering who else does this?,it is the same across most sports and manufacturing processes as its more cost effective but when prices vary for the end product which is basicly the same dont agree with that,
ski holidays
meandrew, its not a across the board. I can really only truthfully speak for ourselves or what others have told us. We own all of our own moulds. It was the biggest expense when starting Whitedot.

I have heard of some companies starting out that have shared moulds to start then produced their own moulds as they grow.
ski holidays
You're welcome to try my Infernos if the opportunity presents.
I'm in Camden, N.London so if, for example, you are on the way up to Hemel from Surbiton, stop by and pick them up for a shot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin, Can I borrow them for w/c 6th Feb please...? Laughing
ski holidays
Which year Michelle?
latest report
Oh this one... rolling eyes Laughing
I'm sure you won't be needing them for your off piste the following week, see...
snow conditions
Michelle, our Off-Piste Bash is on 12th March ie. in the future. Your ski trip appears to be a thing of the past Wink
latest report
Oh bottoms.
I meant March.

Embarassed
snow report
Quote:

I have heard of some companies starting out that have shared moulds to start then produced their own moulds as they grow

Didn't Armada start off with rossi moulds?

Fondled some Storm skis in a shop a while back, they were very light but didn't seem very 'burly.'
ski holidays
clarky999, not sure about Armada & Rossi but the early skis weren't the best. Think they are mostly pressed in the Atomic factory in Austria now.
ski holidays
Got a pair of Devastators last season and have nothing but praise for them. They float in the deep, grip ok on the groomed (and are surprisingly nimble for a wide ski) and they've taken a beating all over Europe. Top drawer thus far. snowHead
latest report
Seems to be some interesting chat on here at the mo about Storm.... with many people trying to beat up our reputation.
Following a discussion with Andrew Finn I have decided to post a comment on here in reply as the director of storm and head of the design process.
For sure Storm use some moulds of other brands, that has never been a question we have tried to hide! We also have many of our moulds as this is the only realistic way to run a start up company of this sort without huge start up capital.
The Stormforce Pro that has just won Freeski ski of the year in the Daily Mail this month is 100 percent unique to Storm. Not a bad feat for a start up brand in only their 2nd season to beat off the competition of all the massive brands who have millions to spend on r and d. Suprised nobody chose to comment on that good point????? Or are we just on here to put people down and talk trash?
A mould is a mould and clearly only sets the geometric shape of a ski. It is what you do with it that makes the skis unique and different and the filling is the key part. The results that come out of any mould can be totally different in the same way as when using a cake tin or jelly mould in daily life!
So while Storm are in a mould sharing collaboration scheme we impart all of our own r and d into our products and source all of our our raw materials and build to own own technical spec. So anyone who doubts this process is totally uneducated and blind to the processes involved in putting a ski together from start to finish.
As standard we will run off 5-10 samples of all of our skis with different lay ups, looking at camber profile, flex patterns and torsional properties prior to settling on the best result. We then test all skis with our team for in excess of 6 months prior to any ski getting released onto the general market.
Anyone who doubts this process talk to the snowhead members who have tested some of Storm's skis in a pre lauched phase while at the tests we attended at Hemel.
As a final thought.... in this industry or in the production industry in general is this situation unique and worth all the negative chat?
Who can claim to be 100 percent unique? When more then half the worlds skis have basic materials that are sourced from the same Iso Sport factory does this make us all the same ....I think not! How many huge collaborations are out there....I hardly think that Storm's position in unique.
snow report
andy david, Great work on the Stormforce Pro.
snow report
andy david, Welcome to snowHead We know each other in person and I love what you are doing with Storm but I think your post was a little too defensive and comes off as a nasty post. Lighten up and join the team, it will be a great resource for Storm...
snow conditions
andy david, I asked the question if Storm skis are rebranded Sporten skis and you have explained that you have used molds from other brands so that answered one question and are they the same skis you said you alter the make up of the ski that answered another question to say people are talking trash is up to you though through your own admission you have used the same molds and you have also said the difference is inside the ski. But as the logo`s are the same anybody would come to the same conclusion that they are basically the same ski maybe if you changed the logos people wouldnt think they are the same Confused if a ski is the same dimension,same logos for the materials used and basically looks the same excuse me for thinking its pretty much the same.I hope you have great success with your ski`s and go from strength to strength and I have just read the Dmsg mag and I did notice the results of the test congratulations.I appriciate that you do your own RnD and you change the make up of the ski buy altering profiles and cambers but as you cant see this unless you have the skis in front off you and someone looking to buy a ski does the majority of thier research on the internet on different skis before buying I dont see how you can get that across to them.just out of interest which other companies share logos?.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy