Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

schussing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
Any tips?
Yes, don't ever do that again wink

Sorry I'm late to this particular party, but I've only just got up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Particularly long schuss was it? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
c0Ka|Ne, You want your hands to break the air that is coming to hit you - so they should be in front of your head and chest - you want to be looking just over them kind of thing... I'll ask Fastman if he has a pic for you but it won't be for a couple of days I think as we are away skiing atm...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi c0Ka|Ne, always happy to help out an aspiring speed lover. Tucking not only provides more speed, if speed is the goal, it actually provides what many perceive as more stability when going fast. I feel very comfortable and in control when at speed in a tuck, whether straight lining or turning. Also, when straight lining on flat skis, that lateral swimming the skis tend to do when flattened properly feels much less unnerving.

Here are some tips to refine your tuck.

- Move your elbows forward, to a position in front of your knees. With them on top of your thighs it restricts how low you can drop your chest.

- Drop your chest down to almost touching your thighs. Your back should be as close to level to the snow as you can get it. Bring your hands together, and raise them to right in front of your chin, with palms turned upward.

- Feet about hip width apart, and knees pushed apart until skis are flat on the snow. The exact space between the skis will vary according to individual body type and lower leg and foot alignment. Basic rule of thumb, the wider you can get your feet without having to struggle to flatten your skis, the more stability you will feel in your tuck. Too wide, and you will be riding your inside edges, which is slow.

- When you do the above properly, you will feel your neck straining to allow you to lift your head to see where you're going.

The above instructions are for assuming a low tuck. Great for straight lining on flat skis, but not so good for making sharp turns. Here are some guidelines for turning in a tuck;

- For gentle turns, hold your low tuck position, rotate your torso away from the way you want to turn as you tip your inside knee into the turn. You want both skis to be on the same edge angle, and tipping the inside knee will pull the outside ski onto a harmonic edge angle with the inside ski. Turning the torso moves the hip into the turn, which helps roll the skis on edge.

- For sharper turns, extend at the knees and waist slightly, keep hands in front of chin, pull elbows together, and do the same torso turning and knee tipping as above.

- If the turn is so sharp that the quality of your turn is degrading by trying to hold your tuck, abandon the tuck and make a good turn.

Yours truly.

Erik Guay one of Canada's finest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger, FastMan, fantastic, many thanks for all of the above.

I've made a note of it all and will work on putting it into practice.

Sometime in the future, I'll update this thread with a new pic, and hopefully it will be less vomit inducing then the last one Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar @ ski bum wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Re: tucking.... ( from your picture)

Have your legs a little further apart, just a tad.
Bend forward just a tad and also lower your bum.
Extend your arms forward a little and roll out your palms (so that your palms are not facing eachother , but instead are facing up).
Aim to have your poles tightly resting, and protruding back from, the corner/fold of the front part of your hips ( and not your mid torso/armpit like in the pic).

Ideally you would want your upper arms and elbows in front of your knees and upper shins.
And with this your hands straight in front of your face ( just a tad down).
Your face should not be able to look perfectly forward, rather your eyes - in natural forward glance - should be aiming at your ski tips. To look forward, simply look up ( or not so simply sometimes.)

For a half tuck, simply keep the same upper bode shape but straighten your legs a little ( racers frequently do this when a full tuck is not possible, as a little aerodynamics is better that none)

All of the above typed wih my racer hat on.....

Oh and when tucking like I described above and also wearing a pack, make sure the damned thing doesn't ride up in an attempt to escape over your head. Easily countered by a lower bum, less forward lean, higher stance, and damn good waist straps.

Have a look at some pics of racers from all angles - front, side, back - then have a practice in front of a mirror.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gah..... There was a page 2...... And someone already posted basically the same thing...
Silly late-night iPhone surfing.
That'll teach me

Anyway, better to have more than one person saying the same thing.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, then it gets drilled into the head!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
quadwould, great post! Your advice is spot on! Laughing

c0Ka|Ne, look forward to seeing the new pics. Have fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FastMan, Cheers, i suppose it took my being a zombie at 2am to have the clarity of mind to type away... normally its more like drivel.....

c0Ka|Ne, how is the mirror scoring your attempts?... (its best not to practice when ones other half might see. for fear of having the wee wee taken ....)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
c0Ka|Ne, In the meantime, feel free to post the pics of you practicing in front of the mirror.... we wouldn't be as cruel as your other half... Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hehehe Erik Guay, mwahahahaha Laughing

c0Ka|Ne, dude how short are those skis? Shocked you need to go longer
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sadly no mirrors large enough for me to use at home, so I'll be taking advantage of any mirrors I happen to stroll across, regardless of location (other peoples homes, or in department stores). Should make things interesting!

barry, they were indeed short, but so am I (5"4/58kgs). I own Some Tornado Tis @ 159cm. I'd already booked my trip to Meribel before I had my skis so was planning on renting the same model out there. Sadly, they only had 154 available. In hindsight I should of got another model, but being so impressed with my own Tornado's I thought I'd give these rental older Tornado's a go. Made moguls a delight wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rambotion wrote:
...Remember recreational skis have a 2 degree bevel to the bases so you should be able to avoid catching an edge...

Incorrect. Pretty much every ski on the market has a 1 degree base edge angle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy