Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

schussing

Poster: A snowHead
What's the best thing to do with the skis when doing this? I never feel I have 100% control over the skis. Certainly getting weight forward stops the skis from wobbling, but I always feel a little uncertain with having the skis running flat on their bottoms. A caught edge always seems a real danger. Obviously a series of nice carving turns is a good solution, but what about running both skis on their inside edges. It's a sort of snowplough feeling (no, I don't actually put the skis at an angle to each other) and doesn't seem that secure.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In lessons I was taught too keep the skis flat on the bases so that you could feel the skis moving slightly relative to each other as their is no edge contact, ie; you don't have 100% control over the skis. I think its just a feeling you have to get used to. Remember recreational skis have a 2 degree bevel to the bases so you should be able to avoid catching an edge.

Skiing on an edge will slow you down marginally which defeats the point of schussing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It came to me, when watching some extraordinary schuss positions over the last few days, that we should have a photo thread of some of the different efforts. I shall try to capture one or two over the next few days, to make a contribution.

James the Last, good question, I'll be interested to see answers from the experts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think you ever have 100% control due to terrain, it about reaction to whatever happens... so experience wins, usually you can swap and maintain balance to 1 ski while recovering the other from crossing over or running away

both inside edges sounds dangerous, you never want your skis to cross and if you maintain both inside edges they will cross or make you do the splits
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last, put them on an edge. But not both inside edges - that sounds very bizarre.

rambotion, how will skiing on an edge slow you down when it results in less contact surface and therefore less friction?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, A well waxed base has a lower frictional coefficent than an edge and digs into the snow less. Contary to popular belief the apparent contact area of two surfaces has no effect on the overall frictioanl force except for in some cirumstances such as rubber, but probably not snow (I'm not 100% confident on this for snow). Either way it is definately faster to ski on the bases than the edges
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I reckon it would depend on how soft the snow is, for soft snow the drag on the skis would probably be proportional to the nominal contact area but for hard packed/icy slopes where no trace is left from the person schussing then the nominal contact area almost certainly has no effect on the drag on the skis.

When you're when you're on an edge you have a rough steel edge digging into the snow which will dissapate far more energy than a smooth waxed base gliding over it.

Test it out for yourself on a freshly waxed pair of skis next time you're out
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rambotion, I have - I find skiing on an edge faster. It also gives more control, though judging by a lot of what I've seen this week that's not a priority. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
I find skiing on an edge faster.

If a ski is on its edge it will turn (however slightly) and will therefore not be as fast as a flat ski running in a straight line.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Relax. Skis hip width apart, equal weight on both skis. Knees and ankles bent. Relax. Weight centred, arms forward. Relax. Allow your knees to absorb any bumps or irregularities.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward, would you recommend staying slightly on edge (both skis on the same edge that is - right or left) to reduce the risk of catching an edge, at the cost of a slight sacrifice of speed? I have the same worry as the OP about going fast (at least, what feels fast to me, which probably isn't very fast at all......) on completely flat skis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are plenty of flat paths in Les Arcs that require some sort of solution. As with those above I have decided that I am not 100% happy zazzing along on the ski bases due to the possibility of a caught edge. So, as advised here, when I raised the issue I now set the skis an a marginal edge and make the odd carving type action as I go along - it feels a whole lot more secure to be doing 'something' When I was with my instructor he also saw the paths as somewhere to practise alternate legs lefted off the ground and this also seems a good use of paths. On faster flatter sections I'm certainly on an edge though (and on two skis!) - it just feels easier.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

When I was with my instructor he also saw the paths as somewhere to practise alternate legs lefted off the ground and this also seems a good use of paths.

Yep, I'd agree with that - our nice long gentle blue run home is ideal for that. But when you really have to get some speed up to get across a long flat, or an uphill section, then a schuss is sometimes the only way - I've never been terribly keen on schussing (it's that female thing about always wanting to be in control, I suppose) so any tips as to how to make it a little safer (if a little slower) would be helpful.

Round here I don't need to do any heroic schussing, thank goodness, especially at the moment with such hard and fast snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Running both skis on the inside edges was suggested by my instructor (who was a pretty whizz skier with a little free riding hobby and was not trying to grannify (no offence, pam w, ) me).

Some females, BTW, pam w, love being out of control. And when they're just beginning, they carry on going faster and faster until they end up in a heap...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
Relax. Skis hip width apart, equal weight on both skis. Knees and ankles bent. Relax. Weight centred, arms forward. Relax. Allow your knees to absorb any bumps or irregularities.

In that 'relaxed' position I find that I am holding a slight snowplough, which slows me down and I find other skiers sliding past, which is particularly noticeable on flatter runs.

I find I need to pull in the tails in order to get a flat ski
snow report
Quote:

Some females, BTW, pam w, love being out of control

that's what they like you to think, James the Last wink

codyaitch, my OH found that - it was very evident going up behind him on a draglift, too; slight snowplough. He got "balanced" by CEM and Andi McCann and it make a big difference. ,
latest report
James the Last, I most often tip just slightly so I am on only two edges, not four. Not enough to really arc much, but enough to avoid the edge catch.

Of course, I don't often schuss in the traditional sense. I tend to do more drills and exercises on terrain I used to schuss, including playing with RR tracks, arcing, and other means of riding the edges, playing with arc shape, and enjoying the experience...
ski holidays
options:

- longer skis with less sidecut
- base bevel the front of the skis more
- maintain a minimum edge angle on both skis, to keep them stable through long radius carved turns.
- be sure you're center balanced
- get friendly with the float
snow conditions
good body position is important and it is essential to be well balanced on a flat high speed ski. a few tips to think about is when in a tuck position is to have your elbows ahead of your knees and ski poles parallel to the ground with a rounded back.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
good body position is important and it is essential to be well balanced on a flat high speed ski. a few tips to think about is when in a tuck position is to have your elbows ahead of your knees and ski poles parallel to the ground with a rounded back.

Schussing doesn't have to be tucking though, just going in a straight line - but as you say good balanced body position is still essential.
ski holidays
I tend to keep my skis flat but edge my outside ski slightly when making very minor turns. If I have enough speed and need to make a longer gradual turn I tend to edge both skis slightly. I always tuck in and put my poles under my arms. Normally, I keep the handles of my poles away from my chest and not right next to it.

I don't know if this is the correct method, this is just self taught, watching other people, etc. If I'm doing something wrong please point it out!

I'll post a pic or two tonight, would welcome any feedback.
snow conditions
I usually tend to edge just a fraction. I'm not in a race, nor is the piste likely to be arrow straight and completely free of fluff/people. Sure a pure flat ski may technically be faster than an edged one, but if a foot/leg is wobbly in a flat ski schuss then you're probably tempted to do some kind of speed control manoeuvre (snowplough, skid, whatever) to try to control the situation, and in my case a slightly edged ski will therefore be faster.

Only my right foot that wobbles. I assume this is because the left leg is so used to being the one balanced upon, and the right that does things, that the joints are looser on the right, and when in a schuss, more weight goes on the left.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't often schuss in the traditional sense

I only do it to avoid walking up a hill or across a long flat. Can't see any point otherwise - why waste all that uplift?
ski holidays
c0Ka|Ne, at Hemel, you seemed to be schussing a lot, with both poles tucked under one arm for some reason. Care to explain? Laughing
snow report
Justing putting some aerodynamic theories to the test Very Happy
snow conditions
c0Ka|Ne, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Any tips?

I'm aware of: my straps being undone (forgot to do them up!), the gap between my helmet and goggles (I honestly had no idea!), contradicting myself as in my previous post I said I kept the handles of my poles away from my chest and not too close (I don't do it allllll the time!), the stupid expression I have on my face (looks take a backseat when you are going 2mph Very Happy)
snow report
I almost never schuss anywhere. It's perfectly possible to ski at high speed without tucking - it's just so undignified. Only 2 kinds of skiers tuck - racers and beginners.

But if you're determined to do it, try to get your elbows against your knee caps, push your fists a good bit further forward, get your thighs parallel to the snow and your head a lot lower
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
c0Ka|Ne, shockingly bad Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
c0Ka|Ne, I can only see one... the other is out of shot. Is that helpful? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
oooooof, running out of ribs here snowHead
ski holidays
c0Ka|Ne, suggest straighter legs and poles more vertical
snow report
c0Ka|Ne, nice punter tuck Wink

You just need the baskets up another 5 degrees or to be on blades Toofy Grin
latest report
c0Ka|Ne, that's a shocking waste of a very good helmet
snow conditions
c0Ka|Ne, Is that puff of snow at a strategic angle behind you relevant at all? wink
ski holidays
Arno, that's not kind.
snow report
James the Last wrote:

Some females love being out of control. (snip), they carry on going faster and faster until they end up in a heap...

Hmm, sounds exactly like 7 year old Chloe's approach! Though the slope at Tamworth fridge isn't long or steep enough to hit the landing in a heap speed!
snow conditions
c0Ka|Ne, see easiski's post in this quite entertaining thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48285&start=40#1144688
Actually, you'd arguably have done better to read that thread before posting your picture. wink
ski holidays
Too late Hurtle, I'm calling in sick tomorrow.... maybe even dead Cool

In my defense, I didn't know any better. Still don't. But I try... and it got me from A to B wink

Thanks for the tips, Plake.

Schuss in Boots.... Yes hehe.
latest report
Hurtle, interesting to re-read that thread. As I said there, easiski taught me how to schuss, so I don't make some of the most obvious mistakes.
Quote:

Only 2 kinds of skiers tuck - racers and beginners.

I don't agree. It definitely makes a difference - you only have to stand up to notice how much slower you go immediately (and how much better your quads feel wink )

If it didn't make any difference, why on earth would racers bother?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy