Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CANADA VS. EUROPE (SEASONS)

Poster: A snowHead
I am 18, about to take a gap year and I am torn between where to go for a season with my friend.. we are considering Canada or Europe.

I live in the UK, don't have much money and I am an intermediate skiier. All opinions are welcome!

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are you going to work or just bum about for a year?

how much do you have and do you have ski equipment already?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You mention that funds are limited so am guessing you will need to work, if you're looking at next season pretty easy to get a job in a European ski resort. A little harder in Canada but achievable.

For Canada you need a Working Holiday Visa, which costs, and if you're playing by the rules believe you need sufficient funds to support you for your first couple of months, or something like that, am a little rusty here. Canada is an amazing country with some of the friendliest people you will ever meet, and if it was me I would go for Canada for a gap year over a French mega resort any day of the week.

From a pure skiing perspective I would choose Europe unless heli skiing in BC, but a gap year is about far more than just the skiing, you have the rest of your life to ski Europe to death and back.

All the best and enjoy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you old enough to drink over there? Not sure if the Canadian drinking age is over 21 like the Mercans.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bensamccann, If U will find a work, Europe, and if U only want to bum around, Why not US? Colorado, Utah, if U not work, it make a big different how the £ is compare with Euro, US$ or Canadien$
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
adie wrote:
You mention that funds are limited so am guessing you will need to work, if you're looking at next season pretty easy to get a job in a European ski resort. A little harder in Canada but achievable.

For Canada you need a Working Holiday Visa, which costs, and if you're playing by the rules believe you need sufficient funds to support you for your first couple of months, or something like that, am a little rusty here. Canada is an amazing country with some of the friendliest people you will ever meet, and if it was me I would go for Canada for a gap year over a French mega resort any day of the week.

From a pure skiing perspective I would choose Europe unless heli skiing in BC, but a gap year is about far more than just the skiing, you have the rest of your life to ski Europe to death and back.

All the best and enjoy

where is you look for the jobs in eu resorts. my son mentioned he fancied giving it a go in a year or so.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mugen, Go to the resort early, in november a knocking doors and ask,, It had work great for me, and for my daughter it also this season was Ok this way Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freeheelskier wrote:
mugen, Go to the resort early, in november a knocking doors and ask,, It had work great for me, and for my daughter it also this season was Ok this way Very Happy

thanks i'll keep that in mind. much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Not sure if the Canadian drinking age is over 21 like the Mercans.

It's 21, and they DO check ID, religiously. But hell, you'll be skiing, not drinking, right?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Acacia, Alberta is 18 and British Columbia is 19. It's not 21 anywhere in Canada.

I had my ID ready for a bartender in Banff last time I was out and the (Canadian) dude serving said 'you don't work for the government, do you?' 'er, no..' 'well what are you showing me that for' Laughing

In saying that, I think it is the law that everyone carries some form of ID in a bar, even you oldies.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welllllllllllll, it's a long time since I was 21. (They didn't let you drink standing up in those days)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i was id checked in toronto a few years ago...
was great!!! i'm mid 40's
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would have thought speaking the language is the key. If you can speak a European Language or are willing (capable) of picking up at least one then Europe will be easier.

My daughter is hopeless with languages and hence I know will be going to Canada in 18mths time - not that she is counting and I am saving up ! Why can't she tack it on the end of the Student Loan? Even in Canada Spanish is handy as they have a lot of Mexicans visit now. Note I am talking about West Canada (Rockies) as in the East French would be handy too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trust me you don't need to speak French to get a job in the French Alps.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly wrote:
are you going to work or just bum about for a year?

how much do you have and do you have ski equipment already?

I will need to work to fund the trip.. i've been looking at jobs with ski companies such as ski world.

Whats better in terms of having time on the slopes: -being a kitchen porter OR -being a chef /chalet host?

and is the general opinion that jobs are easier to get in europe yeah?.. because I have little experience in work apart from tennis coaching, which is COMPLETELY irrelevant? If only ski resorts needed tennis coaches, that'd be ideal.

thanks for all the replies!
latest report
That coaching is not irrelevant at all - you have experience of dealing with customers face to face to maximise their enjoyment of their leisure time, probably you're used to dealing with both kids and adults, at some point you must have smoothed over problems (maybe badly matched groups, people being late and screwing up the rest of the lesson for others...) which is exactly what a TO wants in their chalet staff wink
ski holidays
If you want to go to Canada to work contact BUNAC for help with a visa. It will cost you about £100 for BUNAC's services and about £250 to the Canadian Embassy for the visa IIRC. Jobs in Banff hard to find at the moment I'm told. Good luck. Smile
snow report
Quote:

If only ski resorts needed tennis coaches, that'd be ideal.

I think kitzbühel have a tennisclub Very Happy
snow conditions
For time of to go skiing the best job I ever had was working in a bar where my earliest start was 4:30pm Smile

Would avoid anything kitchen related like the plague, chalet host if you can cook and get your sh** together in the morning gives you a fair bit of time on the slopes.
ski holidays
See my post here:-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=8
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy