Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Sucks

Poster: A snowHead
Mr Technique, I did not open this thread expecting a chuckle Laughing

I'd tend to agree with kevindonkleywood although I don't live next to a farm.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah yes - it is comforting to know as with any debate, you can pretty much guarantee a lunatic lurking in the background. Oh I know I should'nt but they do make me chuckle Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbandit, he isn't really a lunatic, he just likes to shock. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Technique, Animals have to die for me to enjoy some of the things I enjoy. They do not however have to die the way those dogs did. It was an act of inhumane moral cowardice.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr, I agree. However it's not unusual or noteworthy for a bunch of animals to get all shot in the face and messed up. It just happens. If it bothers you, learn to love lentils.

I couldn't care less, and that's why I'm having a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch tomorrow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Technique wrote:
Unless you are all vegans, you are all hypocrites.

I love eating bacon. I love eating steak. I am rather partial to eggs. The goose liver thing, where they abuse the geese, pretty fond of that too. Couldn't give a rat's toss about fox hunting, kill the little ginger bastards. That lady who put a cat in a bin, massive fuss about fuck all.

Who uses products in their house made from palm oil? Google it.

And then shut up. It's just a few dogs.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

What kind of person could shoot 100 dogs like this because his boss told him too. Then Mr Technique post's.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm guessing you're not a cat person.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm guessing you're a KNOB
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What does it stand for?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Knows
Nothing
Only
Bu115h1t
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, the best thing to do to attention-seekers is to ignore them. I don't suppose anyone around here agrees with his type of argument: "I eat boiled eggs therefore it's perfectly acceptable to shoot a healthy dog in the face in front of its pack, get over it". Needs a little therapy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller,

Agree entirely, which is why I wasn't going to bump this up anymore, but seeing as it is already up there now.

When I am having a steak at home, my dog also has steak. When we go out for a meal to our fauvorite restaurant, the chef, who knows us always saves a marrow bone with plenty of meat left on it. On occasion we have even gone through the Maccys drive through on the way home and got him some chicken nuggets because I know he will be sulking if we come home empty handed when he knows we have been out for a meal.

According to Mr Technique, that makes me the same (maybe even worse) than the guy who shot all these defenseless dogs in the manner it was done. I think 99.99% of people would say it put's me at the opposite end of the spectrum. I love my dog, he is fully paid up member of my family, if I could not look after him the way i do, I would not have him in the 1st place.

Embarassed Embarassed For buying the dog Maccys
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The British press have picked up on it now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sled-dogs-culled-cruelly-when-tour-bookings-fell-2201464.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and Kel, you've pretty much proved kevindonkleywood's and Mr Technique's point.
ski holidays
From Mr Technique

Quote:

And then shut up. It's just a few dogs.

Quote:

Unless you are all vegans, you are all hypocrites.

This from a local Whistler paper

"The Outdoor Adventures Whistler statement says company officials knew about the “euthanization” of dogs at Howling Dog Tours in April 2010, “but it was our expectation that it was done in a proper, legal and humane manner.

“We only learned otherwise on Friday (Jan. 28th) when we read the (Worksafe B.C.) ruling for the first time.”

But there’s nothing about the descriptions of “horrific execution” on April 21 and 23 that could be called euthanization, Chortyk said. According to Worksafe B.C. documents provided to the SPCA, the employee who carried out the killings described a scene of chaos and pandemonium.

About 300 dogs were in the area when he started shooting, and the dogs began to panic. He wasn’t able to achieve clean kills because of the chaos, so dogs had multiple gun shot wounds and some animals were still alive when they were thrown into the mass grave, she said. Dogs that weren’t slated to be killed were accidentally hit with bullets that passed through other animals.

“It was just a horrific scene,” Chortyk said. “Nothing was done in this scenario was done humanely.

“We’re looking at a crime here if these are the facts.”

I eat steak. I don't feel at all hypocritical in condemning what happened here.
ski holidays
malcolm1, I guess you haven't seen what goes on in a large-scale factory farm then, where possibly you also imagine that the slaughters happen in a "proper, legal and humane manner".

(Edit: that's not to imply that most such slaughters are illegal; of course they're not. Many are though, at least according to those who occasionally break in and film the reality. And of course, for all I know you choose steak which is well-reared with a verifiable slaughter history.)
snow conditions
I suppose that any time an animal is part of a commercial operation there is a risk of their being killed - indeed it's inevitable in many businesses, as kevindonkleywood points out. The botched job is just appalling and inexcusable but working animals not earning their keep have always been slaughtered, haven't they?
snow conditions
Anyway, whether or not it's hypocritical is not really the issue. Clearly less suffering is better than more suffering. The interesting point that kevindonkleywood was making was that humans are rather irrational as regards treatment of animals. We're also extraordinarily good at blocking out things that we don't want to know about, which (to this layman at least) does ring true as a plausible evolutionary survival instinct.
ski holidays
We are indeed irrational as regards treatment of animals - we are happy eat a cow, and feed it to our doggies, but we don't eat doggies or feed them to our pussies.

all competely daft, like lots of other aspects of our culture (e.g. the importance in some circles of having a knotted piece of fabric round the neck).

The ghastly carnage and cruelty described is completely indefensible. Horrifying. However, it is not logical to use that situation EITHER to argue that all killing of animals is indefensible OR that it all amounts to the same thing in the end, and unless you're a vegan it's hypocritical to be bothered.

There are better and worse ways of rearing, and slaughtering, farm animals and plenty of constructive ways to show concern. I eat meat but I do try to find out about what I'm eating and I contribute to the "Compassion in World Farming" campaigns.

It certainly IS hypocritical to wring your hands about cruelty to dogs and then go and buy heapo cheapo chicken etc.
ski holidays
pam w, spot on. As usual.
ski holidays
Absolutely disgusting and I DONT have sympathy for the worker and can't believe Whistler tourism are still using the company for other activities

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 4-02-11 1:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I guess it beats Scotchi where they shoot landowners who get in the way.
snow report
Chris Brookes, i hope you didn't let your beautiful dogs read that wink
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Chris Brookes, i hope you didn't let your beautiful dogs read that wink

no i didnt...i am so angry when i read about it.....it makes my blood boil !!!

I would love to get my hands on the General Manager !! ...FACT !!
snow conditions
I would now NEVER EVER VISIT WHISLTER as there own tourism still promotes this company
ski holidays
The whole situation is a nasty one, but it's a bit melodramatic to vow not to ever visit Whistler as it was a guy working for a private company who killed the dog, not the whole population of Whistler conspiring to murder all the local dogs.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
I guess it beats Scotchi where they shoot landowners who get in the way.

surely with the Jockos its the other way round and the effete English landowners are repressing the honest ginger haggis chasers with their shooting rights?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
littlematt, Whistler are condoning the behaviour of the company by still doing business with them, even if they have suspended the dog tours. Chris Brookes, I saw a beautiful husky pup this morning, couldn't help but think of those poor dogs.
snow conditions
So in an ideal world nobody at all books with this company as a result of the media hype, great result, point made.

only problem is that once the story fades from the headlines the remaining 200 dogs get to have a shotgun on the back of their heads.

Take your pick, what is the right moral choice?

(And no I am not defending the way the cull was done in any way shape or form at all)
snow report
Hells Bells, after reading that i went and give my two a huge cuddle...humans can be so cruel !!
snow conditions
If you read the local papers the locals are just as aghast as we are. Whistler is no longer dealing with the firm at all and doing every thing it can to disassociate its self from one individual businessman's decision and methods.

They are well aware of how bad it was and looks to the rest of us, but it was not the skiing operation at all. Boycott seems a bit strange.
snow conditions
Snowy Owl Tours in Canmore was the company we used for our dog-sledding trip when we went to Banff . They appear to be an ethical company who care for their dogs, and there is some information on there about what to look for when choosing a trip.
snow report
Quote:

Whistler is no longer dealing with the firm at all and doing every thing it can to disassociate its self from one individual businessman's decision and methods.

Thats going to be pretty difficult seeing as who that businessmans father is Shocked
ski holidays
Bones, Puzzled enlighten us?
snow conditions
Hells Bells, I think Bones, may be sugesting that the manager was 'born out of wedlock'
snow report
Hells Bells, kevindonkleywood, not at all, from what I have read, the owner of the sledding co. is the son of a prominant person who was involved in Intrawest.

If I get time will sift through the thread on TGR.

Thread on TGR has been deleted Sad
latest report
Bones, I have no idea what the guys parentage is (declared or not) but in business terms WhistlerBlackcomb is no longer taking bookings for anything the firm involved is currently operating via their website. This I believe is fact, which I thought useful to share. If you go over there then I guess the company is still in operation and could book something whilst over there but they have suspended dog sled operations.

The more worrying question is if they are not using the remaining dogs for sledding then what are they going to do with them. Will the dreadful outcome be even more dogs put down - even if they do it this time humanely. The press seems to think they had over 400 dogs so that is 300 odd left !

I do not want to support the crazy horrible dog murder but it had nothing to do with the mountain operation or Whistler people in general.
latest report
Google Joey Houssian, son of Joe Houssian founder of Intrawest if you're interested in who owns Outdoor Adventures Whistler.
snow report
I didn't read the linked article, but I live in Whistler and have heard a bit about this.

Firstly, malcolm1 must've head their head in the sand as there as been a lot of public outrage - Whistler residents are dog-lovers and are sick as much as anyone that this has happened. There has been a few minor, and 1 major public 'protest' where everyone walked their dogs through the village. We hold quite a few dog 'events' during the year and as far as I know, the vast majority of workplaces allow the bringing of dogs to them (except food places of course).

This action has been the result of 1 company, not associated with Whistler Blackcomb or the local government (although the owner is a Houssain which is the family that owned/ran Intrawest for many years)
No locals recommend this company anymore, and they have quite a selection of activities to do besides from the dog-sledding. Legally, we can't do much except this.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy