Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Sucks

Poster: A snowHead
I can't get my head around this: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/sled+dogs+slaughtered+Whistler+when+tourism+slumped+Report/4196610/story.html?tab=PHOT
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WTF! Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not really the ski resort, but this is absolutely appalling!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good God! Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh wrote:
Not really the ski resort, but this is absolutely appalling!
I chose the headline carefully believe it or not. A place that's hero worshipped by many UK skiers needs to sort this issue. Read the whole article and you get the feeling that the issue is more deeply rooted in the tourism infrastructure there. What Whistler as a whole does next is what I'm watching.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wish I hadn't read that Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is horrendous. Ba$tards.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, read it on TGR Sad

Quite a 'connected' person too. I just hope he gets what he deserves - though I doubt it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I heard about this on the radio this morning. Sick to my stomach.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
More to read here - SERIOUS WARNING THERE ARE SOME NASTY DESCRIPTIONS OF THE EVENTS.. The Police and the SPCA (like RSPCA) are investigating.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely appalling! Shocked Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tourism Whistler has suspended its sale of dog sledding activities through the operator concerned, Outdoor Adventures Whistler, seeVancouver Globe & Mail
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Problem for Whistler as a destination resort which can not control private businesses that profit on the back of them. Typical money money money first second and third or all they care about.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am just leaving Vancouver to come home from Whistler where I was until yesterday. There was nothing in the resort about that story, no word of mouth etc. Hardly surprising since it is appalling and I cant believe anyone, local or tourist, would have anything other than disgust at that. The PR backlash, whether justified against the resort or not, may be significant in what is a not great year for them numberwise
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comment from an English, dog-owning friend of mine, who has lived in Canada (Montreal) for 30+ years: "I'm afraid to say that ill treatment of dogs is quite common here." Sad
snow conditions
A really dreadful story - I didn't even look at parlor's later detail.
ski holidays
I just read this article - that is horrendous. And I don't agree with whoever said that they had no sympathy for the employee - we've all been pushed to do things that we are uncomfortable with in our jobs by controlling employers. The sad thing is that no vets would step in either and at least do it humanely. And the problem is, he will just breed more pups and then kill them off when there is a slow season as well.

Poor dogs, poor man - the place should be boycotted.
snow report
Omigod. Shocked Shocked Words fail me Crying or Very sad
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Comment from an English, dog-owning friend of mine, who has lived in Canada (Montreal) for 30+ years: "I'm afraid to say that ill treatment of dogs is quite common here." Sad
and very common here too of course.

The shock with this story is the description of how the dogs were slaughtered and the sheer number of them. And the commercial reason behind it all. In a much less violent way over here, greyhounds get a really bum deal and I'm told our own husky racing fraternity have a bit of a history of destroying dogs not up to the task anymore. OK, compared to the headline story here, we hope it's done "humanely" at the vets most of the time but we're not exactly covered in glory are we?

Up to 1,000 greyhounds destroyed each month in the USA and according to Wikipedia (so it must be true!) In the North East of England a man is believed to have destroyed as many as 10,000 healthy Greyhounds with a captive bolt gun - presumably over a number of years.
snow report
what i don't (can't) understand here is how the guy who killed the dogs is suddenly a victim??? If i was working there and was asked (ordered?) to do that i would have walked straight down to the local police station and reported it. Maybe it's a culture thing, but how anyone can say they killed 100 dogs because they were told to do a job is beyond me!
snow report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Omigod. Shocked Shocked Words fail me Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
It could have been worse. It could have been cats.
ski holidays
Mr Technique, a team of cats pulling a sled... that i'd like to see snowHead
ski holidays
A Army Major near my place in wales ordered the death of all his hunt hounds on his death and to have them burried with him i remember as a kid hearing them one year, then next year nothing and when I was told why I was shocked there were 50 60 dogs.
ski holidays
This is just sick. No sympathyWHATSOEVER.

We are defined by our morals and beliefs and he clearly lacks either. He made a conscious choice to pull the trigger.

The worker told WorkSafe BC he had worked for the company for years, lived on a farm with the dogs, "and had developed a strong emotional bond of mutual love and trust with them."

Excuse me.. what?
latest report
Horrific, made more so by the poor technique and incompetence of the person using the gun, However at the risk of being shot myself rolling eyes Probably no worse than the fate of millions of farm animals every year, At least they were not loaded into lorries and hauled cross country before they were slaughtered. But something that does not interest the media because we blank that from our minds.

Living within meters of the last farm to be culled out in the foot an mouth outbreak and having witnessed the sight of 2200 ewes (in lamb with a an average scanned lambing ratio of 2.2) being slaughtered (well the lambs would have just died inside their dead mothers) by DEFRA on new years morning of 2002 I can testify to the horror that is a mass cull of animals of any sort, however not a single story was run in the media at the time about the animal welfare of that cull despite the fact that not a single animal was infected.

I think it just highlights our strange classification of the relative values of different animals lives.

some scenerios:

Run the same story through your head:

Then substitute

cockroaches, mice, rats, foxes, cats, whales, dolphins, militant terrorists, Convicted Criminals.

why is it we attach such differing values to different anaimals/ different parts of our own society

P.S. I'm not vegetarian

Horse racing? how many animals are killed each year/ die in pain after falls.
Dog breeding, how many dogs are breed into lives of pain and disfigurement
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood, interesting post, thank you.
ski holidays
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
This is just sick. No sympathyWHATSOEVER.

We are defined by our morals and beliefs and he clearly lacks either. He made a conscious choice to pull the trigger.

The worker told WorkSafe BC he had worked for the company for years, lived on a farm with the dogs, "and had developed a strong emotional bond of mutual love and trust with them."

Excuse me.. what?

Yup, I have no sympathy for him either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a tiny bit of sympathy for the worker, from reading the story it looks like his home may well be part of his job, he might have objected but then he and his family would be homeless, it may well be that his bosses told him, he had to do it as it was part of his job.

Chances are that the bosses will get away with this, they will probably blame the worker who almost certainly didn't want to do it and teh little man will be prosecuted whilst the buisnessmen who ordered it will get away with smacked wrists
ski holidays
Having grown up in AK, and around sled dogs most of my youth, and an unlce that raced sled dogs, I could not read the article. How someone could actually do this is truly a sick, sick person. There will be fallout from this incident, and rightly so.
ski holidays
Is it just me.... How can anyone have sympathy for this man? Yes he was put in a difficult situation but surely there are other jobs out there. If asked to do that you would tell the boss to shove his job and report him to the authorities. You need to be some sort of idiot/a$$hole to do do this and then claim post traumatic stress. He had a choice. The dogs didn't. B@stard.
ski holidays
I only said I have a tiny bit of sympathy, just hypothetically speaking imagine what it would be like if you had a job that also provides a home for you and your family and you are the only earner for the family, now sure you can tell your boss to stuff it, but in your contract it states that you are responsible for euthanising the animals, so if you refuse to do your job the boss can fire you, now you have no job, no home it's the middle of winter and no one wants to employ you because you've been fired and there are very few jobs around anyway because of the recession.

It's all well and good for those of us not in the situation to criticise but when we don't know all the facts and it's not affecting us directly it seems unfair to try and convict the man, Seems to me that more people are angry at the individual who did the deed than at his bosses who ordered him to do so.
snow report
Following on from kevindonkeywood have you seen what happens to greyhounds when they don't make the grade. This is happening here ! They don't even shoot them apparently just turn them loose to fend on there own.

http://www.greyhoundrescue.co.uk/ or just google Greyhound Rescue - quote from their home page. "Every Year 1000 's of greyhounds are discarded by the racing industry. Greyhound Action lobbies to reduce the problem at source. "
ski holidays
Quite true D G Orf, I am speaking from a somewhat 'safe' position. When your job and your families welfare is on the line then I can understand the issue.

That said, if I were put in that position, I know what I would do..... There are plenty of jobs out there if you want them (regardless of recession) and it would be better to jump than be pushed.

I guess my real disgust is at an industry that allows any animal, when it has served its useful purpose, to be inhumanely disposed of. I'm sure there are many cases of large scale animal cruelty happening worldwide, all of which should get the same disgusted response... Maybe one day these companies will understand the moral duty they have to safeguard these animals.
snow report
Absolutely sickening and inhumane and I have no sympathy for the guy, if someone asked me to do that I'd tell them where to shove it and probably punch them round for good measure.
Animal abuse is NOT acceptable and human arrogance and the way it causes humans to treat other living beings is at the root of our problems and will continue to be so until we wipe every other species off the earth finishing off with our own sad race of beings.
Humans make me sick sometimes Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I could not have carried that task out under any circumstances.If i'd lost my job in the UK in these circumstances, employment law would hopefully have protected me.
ski holidays
Unless you are all vegans, you are all hypocrites.

I love eating bacon. I love eating steak. I am rather partial to eggs. The goose liver thing, where they abuse the geese, pretty fond of that too. Couldn't give a rat's toss about fox hunting, kill the little ginger bastards. That lady who put a cat in a bin, massive fuss about fuck all.

Who uses products in their house made from palm oil? Google it.

And then shut up. It's just a few dogs.
snow report
Mr Technique, you have added nothing to kevindonkleywood's post except a lot of bile and your personal endorsement, seemingly, of gratuitous cruelty. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Hurtle, I don't "endorse" animal cruelty.

I just accept it. Next time you put milk in your tea, just accept it.
ski holidays
Mr Technique, you don't have to eat foie gras, or deem it OK to throw a cat in a bin. Of course you're endorsing it. (As, in the former case, am I.)
Similarly, it's not 'just a few dogs' it's a lot of dogs, some of which were abominably maimed before dying.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy