Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mountain Skis - help shortening the short list!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm 6" and 79 kilos, ski a few weeks each year and need to reduce my 2 sets of skis to one as I spend a load of time skiing in Canada and then a few days here and there in France. It's too much of a hastle taking to sets away with me and I'm the first to admit that I made a mistake when I bought the neos as they just don't make me smile. I'm fairly advanced, don't have any worries skiing in any conditions and want to venture more and more off-piste but I can't ignore the time I still spend on the pistes.

I've got Scott Neos at 176, great ski but just not feeling all that fun or exciting. Recently acquired some K2 CoomBACK skis (181) which were great on powder days but left me going back to the neos when the sun came out and it stopped snowing. Length feels a little too much for days when you're on the slopes more than off.

So, I've got a short-list of potential skis to replace the 2 pairs with a single all-mountain ski. I know there are compromises whatever I decide to get but as I ski with my wife on piste (at a leisurely pace) and then head off piste and ski glades as well whenever I can I really want something that's going to be fun and not hinder cruising days when we're on the piste.

The shortlist is:

Scott Mission
Salomon Lord
K2 Kung Fujas
Salomon Shogun

I've skied the missions a couple of years ago and they felt a little too far towards a powder ski at the time but I'm leaning back towards something like the Missions to put a smile back on my face.

Any ideas would be really appreciated. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72804
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you should take a look at the Volkl Manta..I think it would fit the bill.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Test in German
Stern = Star

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/snow-von-freeridern-fuer-freerider-2-2010/238029.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey powderhound1010,

Welcome to SnowHeads,

The Scott Mission and the Salomon Lord are pretty evenly paired within the vast range of skis out there. The both have been lauded with many awards.

The Salomon Lords are a smidge thinner in the waist and are snappier, so should not only make the piste days more fun but also maybe ad more snap to the pow.

The Shogun is in a different class with it being much wider. and for that matter the Kung Fujas are also a fair bit wider, and also K2 class them as a Park ski. So not sure how these would fit your bill.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
powderhound1010 wrote:
I'm 6"...

You must be snowheads shortest member Very Happy

Back to the question - I have been dighted with my Scott Missions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I'm 6" and 79 kilos,

Wish I had those attributes, that's one hell off a dense...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
powderhound1010 wrote:
I'm 6"...

Really?

http://www.answers.com/topic/dighted
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
powderhound1010 wrote:
I'm 6" and 79 kilos

That's great, and how tall are you?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dynastar Sultan 94, or Sixth Sense Slicer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
whitedot one >> everything Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies, and comments about height!!!

Will give the mantas a look as well as the sultans and slicers. if they're good looks like it'll come down to them, missions and lords.

Achilles - any weaknesses with the missions? They look a little fat for enforced piste days.

Cheers all!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
powderhound1010 wrote:
I'm 6"...

you ...astard!! there be coffee on my screen Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you looked at the atomic blog's?? Few lads I know love them and said they're loads of fun. Should give you what neos don't. All reviews seem great. Quite wide underfoot though! Would also appreciate more views as I'm going to demo a pair soon. NehNeh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, oh bummocks Laughing
latest report
Ski_Friends wrote:
Have you looked at the atomic blog's?? Few lads I know love them and said they're loads of fun. Should give you what neos don't. All reviews seem great. Quite wide underfoot though! Would also appreciate more views as I'm going to demo a pair soon. NehNeh

oddly i learned to ski on atomics.. years and years ago.. and for some reason lost in the mists of time dont like them.. not as if i'm a tree hugger or a member of CND
latest report
Nordica Enforcer
Head Johnny 94
snow report
powderhound1010 wrote:

Achilles - any weaknesses with the missions? They look a little fat for enforced piste days.

Cheers all!

As I said on another thread I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Missions on piste. Quick edge to edge and are very responsive. I now ski my Missions more than any of my other skis, quite often on piste days.

Everyone is different, try them, but I think you will be surprised.

Bob
snow conditions
If you are really looking for a 50/50 piste /offpiste ski then the K2 Rictor with all terrain rocker gets great reviews.

http://k2skis.com/skis/all-mountain/rictor

http://www.snow-online.de/skitest/2010-2011/allmountain/K2/Rictor.html
ski holidays
Thanks for all the comments.

Think the list now looks like (not in order):

Scott Mission
Salomon Lord
Salomon Shogun (mounted back as I'm not a park skier)
Movement Jam

Thanks Mike Pow that post has got a ski back on the list which I'd discounted before http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72804
DB found the predecessor (Apache Recon) a little heavy and a ski for heavier skiers, perhaps I'm wrong but for that reason I'm not going with the K2's. Also the CoomBACK's I've got at the moment just don't give me the fun factor away from powder.

Volkl Mantas and Atomics all look fantastic, but just not for me. Mantas seem a little stiff and Atomic Blogs are just too much of a powder ski
http://www.evo.com/skis/atomic-blog-2011.aspx
http://blogs.powdermag.com/buyers-guide-2011/2011-atomic-blog-skis/

Has anyone got the movement jam's or the salomon shoguns? Would be interested in your thoughts about these as a single ski all-mountain solution.
snow report
Wasn't keen on the Scott Missions when I tried those last year, seemed a bit soft, although was probably a bit heavier for my height than you are.

Now have Dynastar Sultan 94 and love them, maybe have a look at those or the 85's if you want something a little narrower?
ski holidays
Quote:

Achilles - any weaknesses with the missions? They look a little fat for enforced piste days

I demoed the Punishers (Missions with a twin tip) in a snowdome a while ago, no problems with the width. If I was given a pair I'd happily use tham as an everyday 'do everything' ski - but my 92mm Big Troubles are better both on and off piste (from what I gathered from the fridge test anyway).
ski holidays
powderhound1010,

Found a German test with the Salomon Shogun, other skis were better (the lower the result the better i.e. K2 sidestash won the test.)
http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/bergsteiger-12-2010/249336.html
snow report
DB,

Thanks, will give these a go (more out of intrigue now). Looks like a back mount gives the ski less of a park feel so will report back once I've had these out in the freezer (MK Ellis Brigham have these in stock).

http://youtube.com/v/lHRLsU5h8aI

http://youtube.com/v/DjX8JiDmxvA&feature=related
ski holidays
powderhound1010,

To be honest I'm not sure how you can test the offpiste performance of a ski on an indoor slope. It might be better taking a trip to a large Ski resort and renting. I'd go to somewhere like St Anton (Austria) and agree with the rental shop that I can try multiple skis per day. You can offset ski carriage and sometimes a % of the rental cost (agree upfront) on the new pair of skis.
ski holidays
Hi DB,

Totally agree, unfortunately I can't get to the slopes at the moment so freezer is better than nothing. Normally the guys at Ellis Brigham are also pretty good with their advice and knowledge. Piste performance, albeit in a freezer is of interest.

Unfortunately this makes choosing a ski in the UK a bit of a nightmare, we just don't get chance to trial the skis is their optimal environments. Sad

It's a bit of trial, user review, cutting through marketing BS and a leap of faith!
latest report
powderhound1010 wrote:
Hi DB,

Totally agree, unfortunately I can't get to the slopes at the moment so freezer is better than nothing. Normally the guys at Ellis Brigham are also pretty good with their advice and knowledge. Piste performance, albeit in a freezer is of interest.

Unfortunately this makes choosing a ski in the UK a bit of a nightmare, we just don't get chance to trial the skis is their optimal environments. Sad

It's a bit of trial, user review, cutting through marketing BS and a leap of faith!

Are you not better just waiting until you head off on holiday and then trying them all? I must say I agree with DB that you are really not going to get the feel for the ski in a freezer. Is there a particular hurry to get them, as several skis over a few days whilst skiing the mountain is very enjoyable and definitely the way to get the right ski for you? You may make a selection based on limited use and other peoples opinion and then hate them once you get them in differing conditions on the mountain.

Bob
snow conditions
Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, the ski shop facilities in Panorama in Canada are not quite an Ellis Brigham or Snow and Rock. It's also really expensive there, so buying isn't really an option. They don't stock the skis I'm interested in as the Canadians are happy getting full-on powder skis for the multitude of days they spend in the powder.

It's a bit of a lottery but using the Neos as a benchmark in terms of flex and dimensions, as well as the K2's (Apache Recons and now the CoomBACKs) and then time spent on the missions, head monsters, crusades etc I've got a fair idea of where I want to head next. Just need to make a decision from a selected few. It's been really useful getting all the feedback on snowheads and it gives me chance to focus on what I really need from the next pair of skis.

I'm in the same position as so many skiers who can't get to test their ski of choice in resort so has to go on a bit of a leap of faith (after some freezer time). I know with the short-list that there isn't a bad ski there, it's just making that final decision.

I've lived with the Neos for a couple of seasons now and I'm not unhappy with them, it's just that we need to part ways so that I can find something a little more responsive and a ski that's going to help me continue to progress.

Thanks for your response and all the others I've had. Everyone has been really helpful. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied Scott Missions ( '08 ) a few weeks back for the first time, my first time on anything but carver skis, and they are superb, I won't be looking back. They were very responsive on piste, and great fun off piste.

And the look good too...

latest report
They certainly do look good! Looking forward to getting some of these back on to see how they've changed in the past couple of years.

Thanks for the post.
ski holidays
Here's another one to throw in the mix, Salomon sentinel all rave reviews, our local shop guys have pretty much tested them all and also saying the same, the only one I have experience with is the lords, great go anywhere ski carves cleanly on hardpack but better in softer snow, they aren't the stiffest ski though. The Sentinels I am told even though they are wider than the lords are more lively on pist but probably need a smidge more input off the sides!
latest report
Just got a pair of Atomic Coax 2010 192cm edition as I think they look great and were £250 cheaper than the 2011 model, mounting them with some Jesters. Got them as an all mountain ski for after it has snowed to go anywhere on. I would like to write a review on them but at the moment due to lack of snow I still havent used them so am playing around on my old Salamon Gun's which are far to short for me at 174cm ,(I am 6ft 2" and weigh 96kg) but are great fun.

I am sure it doesnt matter to much what you buy as you will adapt to what you have but in my experience after using salomon foils and now guns they are amazing fun skis. If I had not had indulged in an impulse purchase I would for certain buy the salamon lord or shogun.

No expert but thats my opinion.
ski holidays
Hi Gpjersey,

After much searching and musing I've finally taken the plunge and gone with the Salomon Lord's after a few ski sessions and feedback from someone I've skied with for years and pretty much skis the same as me. Great price of £499 (complete) from my local ski shop with the Sth 12 Bindings.

Heading to the snowdome in a couple of weekends to give them another go but from the sessions I've had on the lords they are great skis and the right balance for me. Shoguns were great but the lords just seem to have the balance right for me in terms of piste and off.

I'm no expert but the lords seem to have the edge over so many other skis for someone looking for the 50/50 balance and there are some great bargains now for 2011 skis. Even if they update them in 2012 I'm not worried. These are skis I'm going to be having some quite a few years.
snow report
powderhound1010, look a good choice - and great price, please let us know how you get on with them.
ski holidays
Having skied all of these this year, I'd take an Enduro and if it ever snows rent a fat, probably the Lord if you like the easier first turn start. If it really snows and you are good then K2s big range, anything with our mate Coombs on it difficult to beat.
snow report
powderhound1010, let the love affair begin! I won't be parted from mine, "well there was one occasion with a great big powder pillow..........lol!" Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy