Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too much snow in Austria....

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I've been bazzing around the Ski Amade area and we have had 3 days of solid snow. I've been ploughing knee deep trenches between the trees and bouncing around in fastastic powder. What a great time to explöre this area Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

This was after the first day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More pictures please, thank you.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, if you could keep going and carry on bashing it down before my arrival on Wednesday that would be mucho appreciated ta awfully Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As if I wasn't excited enough...roll on Saturday!

Oh and more photos please!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa, Jeez, just got back from St Anton and sat in Birmingham............enjoy! Going green
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, pls leave me some powder - will be there this Friday Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for this... I'm off to Morzine and Avoriaz on Sunday where they have the opposite problem!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa, Please send it over to the Dolomites before you leave. Ta. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa, A great area. Busy innit Very Happy Where are you skiing/staying?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, Am staying in Altenmarkt but skiing all over the place (nothing unusual about that though Laughing ). Zauchensee, Wagrain, Flachau, Alpendorf etc. Some lovely empty runs but I am beginning to wish the snow tap would be turned off for a day. Think tomorrow is going to be a clear day though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa, All those nice lifts on that hill apart from the RUBBISH 2 seater out of Altenmarkt!. We had a 5 day trip where it smowed constantly and we were gagging for some viz and that bright yellow thing to appear.
Enjoy the schnitzle.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was in Austria this week last year and same thing, it snowed and snowed and snowed!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't someone on here once say France had better snow than Austria because it was higher? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The moral of this story is DON'T GO TO AUSTRIA (please). It never snows, too low, too warm, too crowded and just too much lush green pasture underneath that won't harm your skis. Take my advice and go to France where I hear the lunar landscape and cheerful, whimsical locals are ready to receive you (and your money). 11 more sleeps for me.
ski holidays
DB, Laughing
snow report
Scarpa, will be talking to the snow Gods tonight as this is just getting ridiculous! Do you reckon the tap is stuck by any chance? Laughing

Bode Swiller, I take it that you are eschewing the charms of la belle France then? rolling eyes

More photos to follow when we dig ourselves out! Shocked
snow conditions
DB, Bode Swiller, Samerberg Sue, can someone please tell me who says these things?
Quote:

France had better snow than Austria because it was higher?

Quote:

It never snows, too low, too warm, too crowded and just too much lush green pasture underneath that won't harm your skis. Take my advice and go to France where I hear the lunar landscape and cheerful, whimsical locals are ready to receive you (and your money).

I certainly hear ENDLESS France-bashing on here, but can't recall any Austria-bashing. And loads of people like both.

Puzzled
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, -and not to mention the reasonably priced apres beers and friendly locals who actually smiile when you hand over your hard earned euros roll on the 26th of Feb when I will get my second fix of the season Toofy Grin - in the meantimeScarpa, - I am very jealous
snow report
Hurtle,

It was many moons ago but someone did say France generally had better snow conditions because it was higher. It serves them (the French) right for winning the Slalom last night Wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, well I'm not it's number one fan that's for sure. I do go there occasionally though just to make sure.

Thing is I have friends who insist on telling me that the conditions "in the alps" aren't great. What they mean is that the conditions in the only country they have ever heard of where you can ski (ie France), has below par conditions ignoring what's going on in the motherland to the east.
snow report
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

the motherland

That might be taking things a tad far for me... wink
snow conditions
Hurtle, sorry, Mutterland.
snow report
Quote:

I certainly hear ENDLESS France-bashing on here, but can't recall any Austria-bashing. And loads of people like both.

Absolutely. We're not subjected to this kind of stuff every time there's a group of stunning beautiful pictures of people skiing in Chamonix (or wherever), or when France has had a big dump of snow which misses Austria. Why are the Austrian mob so defensive, I wonder? Methinks they do protest too much - quite a "chip on shoulder" kind of tone, very often.

(Someone accused me, some weeks ago, of making inaccurate generalisations about "Austria" but couldn't find any, when challenged).

It's really tedious folks, give it a break, eh what?

Scarpa, glad you're having such great conditions. snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
It's really tedious folks, give it a break, eh what?

Give what a break Pam? Puzzled
snow report
Hi Toofy Grin

Give me Austria anytime. I love it there and people seemed to be much more friendly too.
Little Angel
Moonshine
ski holidays
Quote:

Give what a break Pam?

this kind of stuff

Quote:

The moral of this story is DON'T GO TO AUSTRIA (please). It never snows, too low, too warm, too crowded and just too much lush green pasture underneath that won't harm your skis. Take my advice and go to France where I hear the lunar landscape and cheerful, whimsical locals are ready to receive you (and your money).

If anyone can find anything approaching this kind of playground level of wit (sic) from a "pro-France" poster, I'd be very surprised.
snow report
Somebody needs to find the posts that slated Austria. For the record I've nothing against France and it has some of the best skiing in the world but I reserve the right to take the mickey out of someone who slagged off Austria when there was no basis to his/her arguments. If I remember rightly they hadn't even skied in Austria.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Five weeks and counting for me! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
pam w, perhaps a chill pill is in order? They can now be bought without perscription from excellent pharmacies in India (where best conditions are, as always, on the upper slopes)

Personally, I ski without reservation, and certainly without discrimination, anywhere they'll have me and I think all sane people (so not many on here) concede that the snow falls where our Lord God deems fit and that all nations and peoples have their charms, their quirks, their strengths and their failings.

(with the exception of the Austrians)
snow report
Quote:

I reserve the right to take the mickey out of someone who slagged off Austria when there was no basis to his/her arguments. If I remember rightly they hadn't even skied in Austria.

Absolutely. Any inane generalisation "French people are rude" "Austrian apres ski is all about drunken boors taking their kit off" "Austrian pistes are different because they are on pastures which only need 3 cms of snow to be skiable" "French lift systems are more modern" - is a legitimate target for someone with the evidence to refute them.

But if perceived "national" slights are just answered by a kind of macho flag waving and a whole lot of counter-assertions, it's a shame. Sure, it's great that there is good snow in much of Austria - but why is it not possible to celebrate that without a rather childish gloating (which I've noticed in a few posts recently).

There is undoubtedly a great deal more "anti French" sentiment around here than there is "anti Austrian". Certainly there will be some anti-Austrian daft generalisations around somewhere but they'd probably take a bit of hunting out. Finding 20 daft anti-French generalisations wouldn't take long.
latest report
red 27,
Quote:

Scarpa, if you could keep going and carry on bashing it down

Please don´t encourage him......don´t you think he´s caused enough trouble already wink

just want to share this with anyone coming out this week http://www.bergfex.at/zauchensee/wetter/

childish gloating????No, just an amazing sense of joy and good fortune that we are able to have such a wonderful week forecast, ENJOY IT EVERYONE Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

Finding 20 daft anti-French generalisations wouldn't take long.

why would that be then Puzzled I ski two or three times a year in France , the skiing is exceptional agreed (Meribel has one of my favourite runs)
ski holidays
pam w,

It's not that we are having a go at France it's that we are showing the poster who said the snow was always better in France that he/she was talking out of his/her rear end. Although I live in Austria I take the mickey out of Austria too - I've probably posted the most Austrian cellar jokes on here. If next year the snow position between Austria and France is reserved most of us "Austrian supporters" will take it on the chin and have a laugh about it, some might bleat a bit but hey each to their own.
snow report
DB wrote:
pam w,

It's not that we are having a go at France

Have to confess that on occasion it does feel like that's the case, and that people who choose to ski in France are a little patronised by the fans of Austrian skiing. On more than one occasion I've felt that my contribution to a thread has been criticised because I'm considered to blinkered by my love of French skiing so I can't see the benefits of skiing elsewhere.
ski holidays
DB,
Quote:

It's not that we are having a go at France it's that we are showing the poster who said the snow was always better in France that he/she was talking out of his/her rear end
trouble is, nobody can remember this elusive poster, whereas your reminders seem to be repeated every time there's a snowfall in Austria or an Austrian serves you an inexpensive drink/meal with a smile. In the absence of said poster, the impression is that the 'having a go' is coming from you. (Personally I've no axe to grind, having had good ski holidays in both countries. Obviously there are all sorts of reasons why I nearly emigrated to France, as opposed to any other country, but the superiority or otherwise of its ski resorts wasn't a factor.)
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
DB,
Quote:

It's not that we are having a go at France it's that we are showing the poster who said the snow was always better in France that he/she was talking out of his/her rear end
trouble is, nobody can remember this elusive poster, whereas your reminders seem to be repeated every time there's a snowfall in Austria or an Austrian serves you an inexpensive drink/meal with a smile. In the absence of said poster, the impression is that the 'having a go' is coming from you. (Personally I've no axe to grind, having had good ski holidays in both countries. Obviously there are all sorts of reasons why I nearly emigrated to France, as opposed to any other country, but the superiority or otherwise of its ski resorts wasn't a factor.)

Many remember someone posted France above Austria stuff, that's why others have posted smileys and made smilar comments. I've tried to find the thread without success. It's the same on other Ski Forums TGR, Epicski etc, people who get the snow gloat a bit while the others are a bit green then the following years the tables are turned. It's nothing more than a bot of harmless fun Don't really see why people are getting their knickers in a twist. (Goes off to try and find said thread again)

Maybe it was this one .....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54954
snow report
Does it really matter ? Both France and Austria have way better skiing / snow than Switzerland wink
ski holidays
Don't get me started on the Swiss - everything done to the rule / clock and a total lack of humour, wait a minute do we have any Swiss people posting in this thread? Wink

Didier Cuche is a great character though (and he can ski a bit).
ski holidays
DB,
Quote:

It's nothing more than a bot of harmless fun Don't really see why people are getting their knickers in a twist
Sheer force of repetition causes knicker-twisting IME. Another (random) example is Lord Surfing's repeated assertion that La Plagne is 'better' than Les Arcs: it's entirely harmless banter, but its repetition is becoming (for me anyway) annoying.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy