Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunshine Village in a bit of a pickle!

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
For anyone interested Sunshine's side of the story now filed in court

http://ramzee.net/Files/SSVDefence.pdf

Not going to pick it apart but some of it looks like it could be trivial - condoning material denigrating to women = allowing a Lange Gril poster in a patrol hut? Soliciting gifts - getting given a free hat?

So, they've "known" about all of these things but have employed him since the mid 80s. By their claims, it seems like they've had enough just cause to fire him prior to this episode - so why didn't they?

I'm guessing they only need to make one of those allegations stick and they have him fired and fined for losses and court costs?

A sad sad affair and i think with so many places to ski in western Canada, i'll be avoiding Sunshine in future. Sad really.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.ramzee.net/blog/?p=8578

anyone fancy a read and providing me with a little summary? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, it makes reasonably easy reading...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now Sunshine Village have forced TGR to pull their threads:

TGR wrote:
We got a Cease and Desist from the Sunshine people demanding we remove the threads or we will be sued for monetary damages and they will come after us for the true identity of the posters. We have pulled the 2 threads for now and sent the cease and desist to our attorneys. I am a firm believer in people speaking their minds and the type of transparency the world has these days. We will put them back up if our attorney says we are ok to. That being said TGR is not in a position to get in a legal battle with people who have tons of money at this point. Ironically enough, I was one who was saying we should here both sides in one of the threads before we jump to conclusions. The threads are preserved though and can be reinstated. Thanks for your understanding on this. I think Mark Zuckerberg could probably afford the legal battle though if that makes sense. I will keep you posted as I learn more.

They really don't seem to have a clue as to how handle social media rolling eyes Will they come knocking on admin's door? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, I was reading that thread on TGR and thinking, the bus situation has probably done more damage to them than these threads. They really are their own worst enemies though. rolling eyes

If Sunshine hadnt stirred this up again it would mostly be forgotten by many in a couple of months of........ sunshine wink

I know we wil just drive straight past sunshine if we head over there again - theres better and friendlier places to ski Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bones, exactly. Those threads had been fogotten about, now all raked up again. I meant to link to the relevant TGR thread:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/220434-Sunshine-Posts
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones wrote:
I know we wil just drive straight past sunshine if we head over there again - theres better and friendlier places to ski Madeye-Smiley

+1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Someone has now started a monitoring group holding SSV to account over its behaviour as lessee of public (NP) lands. Not hard to see the angle they're coming from

http://sunshinevillagewatch.com/about/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy wrote:
Now Sunshine Village have forced TGR to pull their threads. They really don't seem to have a clue as to how handle social media rolling eyes Will they come knocking on admin's door? Madeye-Smiley

It appears Epicski has now had to pull their threads....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pussies
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like its shs job to keep the flame burning then?

Considering a ski vacation at Sunshine Village, Banff?

Consider also safety record.

Sunshine Ski Patrollers fired.

Sunshine suppress free comment on websites hosted in another country.

If I am going to the Ski Big 3 I will boycott Sunshine Village in favour of Lake Louise.

How's that legal eagles?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, The Scurfields' big mistake was in not getting a super-injunction, then nobody could have known anything about the incident! Toofy Grin

Seriously though, I skied at Sunshine Village a few years ago, but based on the statements and conduct of both sides to the dispute I've judged that if I'm back in the Banff area I too will boycott Sunshine Village unless and until it has new owners.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, Faceboook still has coverage.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, Shocked Fb? Where's my friend request?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.facebook.com/SupportSkiPatrol
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
fatbob, Faceboook still has coverage.

Zuckerberg's mob probably perfectly of telling SSV they can get stuffed and with deeper pockets SSV probably can't get their bullying tactics to work. I understand why the US websites have caved but its not exactly improving SSV's standing by trying to suppress comment and kill "bad PR" entirely of their own making. There seem to be plenty of locals in Banff willing to stand on the side of the patrollers, not so many speaking up for Sunshine and this Giggsesque behaviour is hardly making them look any better.
ski holidays
We are looking to get married in one of the resorts near Banff - will be sure not to chose Sunshine!
snow report
junitrules, aw, congrats
snow conditions
junitrules, Lake Louise would be a far better location IMO.
ski holidays
Thanks Shimmy

Yeah we're looking at Lake Louise and Norquay (thought a small resort might be quieter and therefore better suited)

Anything but Sunshine, from reading this post! I've never been out to Canada skiing, not sure what I'm looking forward to the most Toofy Grin
latest report
Bump for the latest skirmish and textbook example of a Director of Communications failing to communicate anything meaningful:

Powder Mag article referencing the cease and desist behaviour: http://www.powdermag.com/stories/making-locals-jaded/

Sunshine's response: http://www.powdermag.com/stories/re-making-locals-jaded/

My 2p is that Firby doesn't really understand that you deal with social media issues by engaging with it openly and honestly or you go old-school scorched earth lawyered-up to restore your reputation. What you probably shouldn't do is the lawyered up approach with little openness while whining that the internet is being unfair to you in the interim.
latest report
Interesting response but I do struggle to believe them this late in the saga. It just does not ring true and they know it really. Trying to bring in other innocents that are hurt in the actions is pointless as that will always be an issue if they cant run the whole mountain. Other people will loose money.

How many people actually believe "rich boy" mouths off; daddy backs him up - could not happen. 1% maybe doh. Maybe they all regret it but to try and say it did not happen is just silly.

This and canceling the busses must have put a huge dent in figures for last season. Which was the worst decision?

I think I am still allowed to personally choose where I go and I am not going there. That is a personal choice you all can choose where you want to go.
latest report
fatbob, thanks for posting those links.

I guess it will all come out when it hits the courts!

Great shame. One of the best places i've skied - not as good as Lake Louise though snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

My 2p is that Firby doesn't really understand...

I think he totally gets it but is necessarily having to act under advice. Like he says, it'll all come out at trial. If I ran that business and if I had Ralph Scurfield's considerable assets I wouldn't allow the tail to wag the dog either. I think the response is spot on.
ski holidays
Must admit I am not keen on trial by internet. I'm a little lost on this one; have the dismissals been contested at employment tribunals - or whatever the Canadian equivalent is?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

My 2p is that Firby doesn't really understand...

I think he totally gets it but is necessarily having to act under advice.

Fair enough I'm sure that's the case but I don't understand how his response can hope to paint SSV in a favourable light as it just provides a further platform for comments which don't seem to be doing him much good in burying the issue. Plus there's some fairly transparent and irrelevant advertorial thrown into the mix rather than directly addressing the points in the original article.

I don't particularly agree with trial by internet either but fortunately in this case we have court filings giving each side's version of the facts to the original event(s) and anyone who's spent time in a ski resort can see which side they are inclined to believe. The cease & desist stuff is something else which is creating a whole different PR issue for them in my book. I'd be interested in asking him why they haven't issued a cease and desist against Facebook (or if they have but Facebook have ignored it)- because they're too big to be bullied?

achilles - the court docs higher up the thread show the statements to employment court.
snow report
Quote:

I don't understand how his response can hope to paint SSV in a favourable light

the only favourable light they will care about is that of the 000s of holiday skiers who pay hard cash to ski in the Banff Lake Louise area. Sunshine is a vital part of the attraction there and Joe and Josephine Public won't give a hoot about a local employment dispute. As time goes by the locals will get bored of it too.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, many people read up on the internet before they go on a vacation, and after having limited the exposure by deleting the thread on TGR now the response in Powder only gave way to the negative responses commenting the press release. Furthermore, this is also a safety issue, that many people do care about, and finally, i doubt that poeple in a small community will get bored very quickly (this has to be the best scandal they've had in a long time)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, so a defence was filed 14 March. That seems a long time ago, I wonder when the case will come to court.
snow conditions
Another take on the matter

http://www.skipedia.co.uk/wp/2011/06/an-epic-social-media-fail-by-sunshine-village/

Just be aware of the source with this one.
latest report
Bumpity

Some counterclaim and defence docs filed by one of the fired patrollers

P25 to P30 include some doozies about ownership culture, including a dig at the owner over the circumstances of his father's death.

http://ramzee.net/Files/ConwayDefence.pdf
ski holidays
Funny, I was just wondering what had happened with this, after the TO guiding ruling. A timely bump wink
snow report
Having read p25 to p30, that behaviour is the sort that results from too much powder wink
snow report
fatbob, Thanks for that I was wondering what had happened; little did I imagine that it was still going on. Boy are the Lawyers happy people I guess.

Is there any published attendance figures for Sunshine ?
snow conditions
Does anyone have a link to the latest judgments since SSV's request for a confidentiality order was denied back in 2011? I don't see how there could be nothing since then?
ski holidays
Have to admit that after all the press when it started it fell off my list to visit so I've not looked or thought about it since.
snow report
I searched the internet and the Alberta Courts' website (http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/) and there hasn't been any conclusion reached (that I can find) in the original unfair dismissal group claim, the misjoinder action or the counterclaims against Chevalier / Conway by SSV and by the owner's son.

Odd given that the latest judgment (excluding that on confidentiality) focuses on the expediency of the process (http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb/2003-/qb/civil/2011/2011abqb0544.pdf) and ends with K.R Laycock stating:

"The plaintiffs’ application must be filed and served within 30 days of the release of this decision and arrangements be made to have the matter heard by me as soon thereafter as possible. I would then consider the application for amendment and its impact on this application."

Would be grateful if anyone knows anything... did they settle out of Court?
ski holidays
Entick wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the latest judgments since SSV's request for a confidentiality order was denied back in 2011? I don't see how there could be nothing since then?

ramzee.net has the court documents, obtained by a private individual from the court under public information rights AIUI.
latest report
Quote:

ramzee.net has the court documents, obtained by a private individual from the court under public information rights AIUI.

They have nothing since the hearing I quote above... from 2011...
snow conditions
Entick, I know no more than that guy has collated but if there had been anything else formally decided I would have expected it to show up on TGR given that were one of the recipients of the "cease & desists".
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy