Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you stay hydrated on the hill?

Poster: A snowHead
James the Last wrote:

Bottle in backpack = easy access when sitting on a lift as you have to take off your backpack when on a lift (else it's (1) dangerous and (2) uncomfortable).

Why do you believe it might be either of those things?

IME, it is neither. Yes, I have heard of very occasional people getting straps caught up, and even seen a video or two. But it is very rare, and if you don't have dangling straps, that is not an issue.

I have certainly never found it uncomfortable.

And BTW, there have been quite a few threads covering backpacks on chairlifts, and as with so many things, opinion seems to be divided.But also (again as with many things), the people in one camp seem to want to push their view on the others.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last wrote:
(2) (a) My understanding is that anything worn on the back is dangerous as it can get caught on the lift, hence the instruction to remove all backpacks from backs when ascending chairs.

I have never seen such an instruction.

Not even in Canada, never mind in Austria/Switzerland/Italy/Andorra.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney,

You are quite obviously very fond of your Camelbak then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, I have often seen the instruction on the safety bar in several languages basically saying remove backpack and with a picture with a diagonal red line across the pack
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
alex_heney, I have often seen the instruction on the safety bar in several languages basically saying remove backpack and with a picture with a diagonal red line across the pack

What county? (or countries)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney, i can't remember but certainly on more than one trip, but it could be any of France, Italy or Canada.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kel wrote:
alex_heney,

You are quite obviously very fond of your Camelbak then.

You guessed Smile

As I say in one of the posts above, I skied for years carrying bottles in my backpack, then switched to the camelbak (when my daughter bought me it for Christmas). For me, the difference has been dramatic, and I wouldn't go back.

But I have always drunk a lot of water, and it is rare for me to finish the day with any significant amount in the pack. which meant 3-6 bottles of water to carry previously.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney wrote:
James the Last wrote:
(2) (a) My understanding is that anything worn on the back is dangerous as it can get caught on the lift, hence the instruction to remove all backpacks from backs when ascending chairs.

Not even in Canada, never mind in Austria/Switzerland/Italy/Andorra.

Really Puzzled

http://youtube.com/v/qX-Q6Gegr08&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 20-01-11 0:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kel, Manchester United Blog Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel, It took me a while to work out what that stupid link was supposed to be about.

It was both stupid and somewhat offensive.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx,

No I will try again
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, LOL (I get it now)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 20-01-11 0:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx,

edited above

alex_heney,

Yes it was/is stupid, don't take offence and if you want to cart about 3 litres of water that's fine by me, just as long as you can accept that others would rather stop for a beer.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, I have no problem with anybody doing what they personally prefer.

I do have an issue with other people saying I am wrong to prefer what I do, which some people on this thread (not you) seem to have been doing.

I found that post slightly offensive because (when I worked out what the original was about), you seemed to be implying that you basically didn't believe me, that these notices are so common I ,ust have seen them.

BTW, I have never skied in France, so if most of them are there, that could explain it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certainly appear on pretty much every chair I have ridden in France (Val d'Isere. tignes, Morzine, Montgenevre, Serre Che, etc). I thought I'd seen them in Austria too, will report back next week. But they are of course ignored by all.
ski holidays
clarky999, I too am a firm believer of the healing powers of the Almighty Hip Flask, BUT.......for many a year I was a brandy man (Hennessey, V.S.O.P etc etc) but the past few years I've been a convert to Poitín (potch-een) or as I like to refer to it as 'skiing oil'.

Might be a tad difficult to get 'round your way, but if yer passing thru St Anton during the middle fortnight in February I'll gladly hand some over.

(Ah jaysus I'm gonna get arrested for that aren't I ???......balls)
snow report
alex_heney,

I think a lot depends on how big the rucksack is. To get myself used to skiing with my touring ABS rucksack I fully load it up and ski at the local hill (looks total overkill) but often I get told to take it off. Have also been told to take a rucksack off in St Anton and other resorts.
snow report
May depend on the liftie. Never been told to take my rucksack off in Anton in 2 seasons there.
snow conditions
A decent breakfast - with tea, coffee, juice, fruit, yogurt, milk or anything else that contains water. More food, water, coffee at lunch should provide sufficient hydration for recreational skiing. This year I ditched the backpack and had a small 33cl water bottle in my pocket and topped it up over lunch. Might have been a little thirsty come 4.30 but then the beer tastes all the better.
snow report
Camalbak user here.
I fill mine with hot Ribena , then push the 'insulated' tube back intopack till just the bite peice is sticking out.
This puts the bite valve uppermost , so a combination of a nice hot drink, and insulated tube , plus the bloback method keeps if frost free .

Does mean a bit of a faff to pull the valve and tube to mouth , but the rewards are well worth it.
Do not go with boiling water , Scalding yourself if you have a silly crash would be embarressing and the piste hors mighht think you have massive bleeding with Ribena all over the snow.
latest report
DB wrote:
alex_heney,

I think a lot depends on how big the rucksack is. To get myself used to skiing with my touring ABS rucksack I fully load it up and ski at the local hill (looks total overkill) but often I get told to take it off. Have also been told to take a rucksack off in St Anton and other resorts.

That is a good point.

Mine is only a smallish daypack (20L). I can see that a full size rucksack could cause problems (and would tend to have more loose straps).
ski holidays
eithnem wrote:
A decent breakfast - with tea, coffee, juice, fruit, yogurt, milk or anything else that contains water. More food, water, coffee at lunch should provide sufficient hydration for recreational skiing.

That very much depends on the individual.

Both in terms of how much effort they are putting in to recreational skiing (the better you are, usually the less effort involved, but not always), and in terms of how much any given individual sweats, and hence needs to replace fluids.
snow conditions
Although I've never seen a sign asking people to remove backpacks before lifts, my cousin has a big clumsy old thing and some lifties (not all) have asked him to take it off before getting on the lift.

But my camelbak is a tiny thing, don't even know I'm wearing it half of the time.

But back to topic. My Camelbak has usually frozen by the time I have arrived at the top of the Gondola station. I have got an insulation tube for this year, will see how useful it is in February...
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Again, a hip flask full of Scotch. The water of life!

Finally someone on my wavelength! lol Laughing
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
James the Last wrote:

I'd say every single chair lift I've ever been on (in France).
snow report
There are certainly signs to remove backpacks in Avoriaz and Courchevel. I have always thought it was for two reasons - firstly so that you can sit back fully in the seat, and so that trailing straps dont get caught. Generally not enforced, although i was asked to remove it at certain lifts in Avoriaz before xmas.
snow report
Slinger wrote:
I was told by a shop attendant when I bought my board at Christmas to go to a scuba diving shop and ask for an insulator, apparently it costs around 15p.
Sorry I cant be more help but I've yet to go and get one myself.

Just in case anyone wants to try it, such a thing doesn't exist. At least, it's not called an insulator, and I've never seen anything for sale in a dive shop anywhere on earth for 15p.

The closest possible thing I can think of is hose wrap, which won't really insulate, it's just a plastic spiral that wraps around the hose for colour coding: http://www.divelife.co.uk/scuba-manufacturers/Beaver-Sports/1248/Beaver-Spiral-Hose-Wrap
snow report
I've never once seen a sign or been asked to take my pack on a lift in Austria - and I always ski with my pack.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
James the Last wrote:

I'd say every single chair lift I've ever been on (in France).

Looks like it may be fairly specific to certain countries then.

You and others who have seen them often seem to have done so in France, while I have never skied in France, and clarky999 has also never seen them in Austria.
snow report
alex_heney, they are there and the lifties will pick up on any really big bags or hanging straps. AS you know I wear mine all day every day without needing to shift it.

The notices are all in German
ski holidays
I have a small backpack with a camel back which slots in to it. I have only been asked once to take it off in Samones to remove it. I have used this set up for the last 4 years and I only put water in it as anything else will stain, taint it and in my eyes it’s the best thing since sliced bread
latest report
After all my previous comments on this thread, who knows I could be wrong. Today I bought a genuine Camelbak tube insulator and I will give it another go. Please note just because I have water in my camelbak it will not prevent me from stopping for a beer and there is no way I will carry 2 Litres, I am carrying enough weight as it is.

Gonna give the Camelbak another go, but I am not convinced
latest report
Used my camelbak for years, never needed to take it off on any lift in France, Austria, Scandinavia, Canada.... etc. Its small one tho and def doesn't prevent me from sitting back far enough!

Can freeze up on occasion which is annoying but much easier than carrying bottles of water about, imo!
ski holidays
Y camel back is insulated but it can freeze. However when it's really cold just blow the water back into the tank when you have finished drinking. This usually is enough to stop the thing freezing up
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy