Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you stay hydrated on the hill?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the thread on lucozade/gel sachets etc.

How do you stay hydrated? I tried a karrimor version of a camelbak last year but ended up biting through the valve, rendering it useless so much that the leak turned one side of me into a snowman. I have so far replaced a bite valve and needed the L bend shut off valve to fit the new bite valve to.

Do many snowheads use hydration packs and do they manage to stop the tube freezing?
Is the camelbak insulation kit effective and worth the money?
or has anyone made their own form of lagging to prevent freezing?

In my opinion, the blow-back method does not work.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

ended up biting through the valve

take it out of your mouth when you land the jumps, safc2008ftm. wink

I have a glass of water before I leave the apartment and stop every now and then for a beer or a vin chaud, but you probably ski harder than I do.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have this problem too, normaly it's the drinking end that freezes so stuff this end inside your jacket next to you body where possible. When ski touring I generaly carry a flask of hot tea too and if the camelbak freezes I dunk the drinking end in the flask to defrost it.

Taking sips at regular intervals helps too.

...... or add ample amounts of Vodka Wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 18-01-11 14:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

In my opinion, the blow-back method does not work.

Quote:

ended up biting through the valve

That'll be why your blow-backs aren't popular . . . Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've given up on various bladders now - they're just too much hassle - and have gone back to a Nalgene bottle.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My bladder's a hassle too, but I put that down to old age.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are these wonderful little mountain huts about. You stop there and buy a drink and drink it sitting on the terrace in the sunshine. I realise this only applies to holiday piste bimblers like me.

In fairness I purposely don't drink a huge amount when skiing. Sometimes it not easy to find a proper loo!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
My bladder's a hassle too, but I put that down to old age.

Yes but at least your hose isn't going to freeze up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I put my camelback in a dakine helipack. The tube zips away in an insulated compartment on the shoulder strap. I think after weeks of this it only froze once on a bloody cold day but if you sip often it's fine and I found I drank far more than if I was bothering to get a bottle out my bag.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was told by a shop attendant when I bought my board at Christmas to go to a scuba diving shop and ask for an insulator, apparently it costs around 15p.
Sorry I cant be more help but I've yet to go and get one myself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fill it with beer, as alcohol has a much lower freezing point Very Happy
Oh wait, beer DEhydrates!!
I didn't think that through properly, sorry snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

at least your hose isn't going to freeze up

I wish I did have a hose; be far easier!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, DB, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..carry a bottle of water in a backpack? or am i missing something?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

at least your hose isn't going to freeze up

I wish I did have a hose; be far easier!

As said before - I stuff mine in my jacket (generally over my shoulder) but it occasionaly flops out which can be a hassle as the end tends to freeze. I'm just thankfull that I can defrost the end in my flask of hot tea. Naturally we all bring our own flask as people tend not to want to share the tea for some reason.
ski holidays
water bottle in rucksac. keep it old school. Smile
ski holidays
monkey, +1 I think those bladder thingies are disgusting.
snow report
I gave up on bladder systems after too much hassle on really cold days and went back to a bottle in the bag, I'm pretty good at drinking from it but accept that when on the hill I'll probably dehydrate. I make sure to drink plenty of water before and after to compensate.
snow conditions
Again, a hip flask full of Scotch. The water of life!
snow report
I know it sounds messy but has anyone tried using tin foil and celotape? I already had to resort to gaffer tape to make the karrimor tube fit the camelbak shut off valve.

A bottle in the bag is so last resort

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 18-01-11 15:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I go for the bottle in a rucksack or my jacket pocket.
snow conditions
Wear combats and keep a bottle in one of the leg pockets.
snow conditions
Eat the snow, just avoid any colour other than white... or licking it off the metalwork of the chairlift, unless you fancy going round and round until you can get a kettle sent up to you.
ski holidays
Quote:

How do you stay hydrated?

Errr .... water? Laughing

Bottle on a belt holder, capful of vodka for antifreeze.
snow report
Dakine Heli pack with the Dakine reservoir. If you ever have problems with freezing you just need to blow the water back into the reservoir when you have finished drinking.
snow conditions
Bottle of water in pocket or back pack. Simple but effective!
ski holidays
beer at about 11am, wine and water with lunch, beer at about three, wine and water with dinner - and water on the bedside table (for some reason I always feel de-hydrated at night ) Laughing
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Sounds just about right, although I probably substitute the 11am beer for coffee (I know, what a lightweight Laughing )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Squashy water bottles in pack, along with Younger Daughter's teddy of the day. I assume that if I fell hard, the bottle would burst rather than dig into my innards though have not yet tested this. Generally only take as a psychological crutch for those less camel-like than me in our party.

Pre-hydration is good as well - Drink masses of water throughout the evening and breakfast, although this does test camel credentials. (I have the face and the bladder apparently...Smile)
latest report
Surprised none of you have not heard of/tried Erdinger Alcohol-free Weißbeer. I drank 7 litres after one particularly hard marathon (35°C heat and 1000m of climbing on the course). Erdinger were sponsoring the event and giving it away to competitors for free. I have to say it's re-hydration properties were amazing. Really isotonic, not at all chemical tasting like other alcohol-free beers. And I did not have a single muscle ache the next day,which for me was the single most important benefit.

They are sponsors to some of the top Iron Man triathletes as well.

You can buy in some of the mountain huts here and in Austria and if I know I'm going to be thirsty, I sometimes have a bottle in my backpack or several in my car. This is particularly true in spring skiing conditions where I have in the past got very dehydrated (sunstroke in Les Arcs one year - not very clever Embarassed )
ski holidays
I've got a Camelbak, one of their Winter ones so it's insulated, and never had a problem.
snow report
sanman wrote:

Yes you are. Too simple and too boring a solution. The ideal solution must qualify as skiing gear so we can discuss the pros and cons of different brands.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-01-11 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
safc2008ftm, what you need is a bentback.

It will promise the earth, cost you a fortune and then break after one season. FTM Brother !
ski holidays
Try Platypus Big Zip SL Hydration Pack 2 Litre with Bite Valve & Drink Tube Insulator. Used it last year and it's perfect. No problems at all. And pouring water into it is dead easy, so as cleaning.
latest report
Quote:

Erdinger Alcohol-free Weißbeer.

Hmm. that sounds worth a go - I wonder if it's available in French supermarkets? Will have a look. The OH drinks alcohol-free beer sometimes but the Kronenbourg one is pretty grim. You should have seen the faces of our Belgian friends when he was trying to persuade them it was really good. Laughing
ski holidays
PisteHead wrote:
sanman wrote:

Yes you are. Too simple and too boring a solution. The ideal solution must qualify as skiing gear so we can discuss the pros and cons of different brands.

You're also missing the point that you ski better with a camelback than with a bottle of water.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
You're also missing the point that you ski better with a camelback than with a bottle of water.

Puzzled
snow report
I always knew there was a simple way to improve.
snow report
Arno, +1

James the Last, why would that be? Does the taste of rubber turbocharge you somehow Puzzled
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
PisteHead wrote:
sanman wrote:

I could say the sensation of having something strapped to my back distracts my thought processes when I'm concentrating on skiing thereby making me ski worse.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy