Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which freeride ski to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking through thousands of reviews, they must all be written by salesmen. Every ski seems to be the best money can buy.
I have narrowed it down to Rossignol S7, Salomon Shogun, Volkl Gotama or Katana. Can anyone help me make a decision?
What would be the best binding? (needs to be a touring binding)
C
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shogun and at the Katana are both great but have heard fantastic things about the S7 Sorry this does not really help now does it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extrem Patriot is a fantastic ski allover the mountain Very Happy
http://extrem.com/products/patriot/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FWIW I love my Moment Bibby Pros too, great in the deep but very versatile elsewhere too. But...

Where, what and how do you ski?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
conolly, Some very nice skis there. If you can, demo them all (in a couple of lengths) so you can make your choice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And if Dot.'s too modest to mention it you might wanna check out Whitedot Freeride too wink

EDIT: somehow I made a spelling mistake in pretty much every word...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 17-01-11 14:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
s7 or shogun definitely, both kickass skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't skied any of them but they're a bit different - eg I think a Katana is supposed to be more of a tank / crudbuster, whereas an S7 is supposed to be more of a playful ski.

I guess demo is best. And you may also want to take into account durability.

That said, this year I bought without demoing two pairs of skis from indie manufacturers. (And then bu**erred my ACL before the orders even arrived, so that should teach me).

The TGR forums are good for reviews but I would highly advise checking out the consolidated review thread in Tech Talk rather than asking such an open question on the Ski/snowboard forum.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scott Crusade gets my vote.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

That said, this year I bought without demoing two pairs of skis from indie manufacturers

Actually I've never once demoed skis before buying, but have always ended up falling in love with the skis - apparently obsessively excessive research/geekiness really does work Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
freeheelskier wrote:
Extrem Patriot is a fantastic ski allover the mountain Very Happy
http://extrem.com/products/patriot/

True but see below:

Hornster wrote:
Scott Crusade gets my vote.

Not in this race ^

clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

That said, this year I bought without demoing two pairs of skis from indie manufacturers

Actually I've never once demoed skis before buying, but have always ended up falling in love with the skis - apparently obsessively excessive research/geekiness really does work Laughing

Same. If you know what you like it doesn't matter.

conolly wrote:
I have been looking through thousands of reviews, they must all be written by salesmen. Every ski seems to be the best money can buy.
I have narrowed it down to Rossignol S7, Salomon Shogun, Volkl Gotama or Katana. Can anyone help me make a decision?
C

I haven't skied any of those skis for a long time. My missus skis the S7s and absolutely loves them. If you want something playful then S7 is the top of the list. Gotama will be fun and pretty versatile, interestingly you see less of them since they introduced that elongated camber thing. Katana if you prefer to straight line.

To confuse you further I would add: Faction 3.Zero and Whitedot Freeride Preachers to yo' list.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going to La Grave in late Feb. We have a 4 day tour arranged but it may not come off if the weather's like last year. Don't often do long tours mostly day tours so ski weight not a huge issue. All the chat seems to be about the S7 but I think you're right about the demo.
Going to have to lose a belly or two as well.......
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
conolly, don't know if you have toured round there before but it is some of the most challenging touring around IMO. certainly worth investigating lightweight options (maybe Scott Powdair or Crusair or Dynafit Stoke) and getting fit
are the huts open in late feb? (i'm assuming you're planning something hut to hut)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
conolly wrote:

Yeah, funny that.

Quote:

C

Bindings: I like the Fritschi Freeride, it seems a popular choice and has a pretty good track record. If you want a super light set up look at Dynafit / Tech bindings.

Since you want a touring set up I'd watch the weight on those fat skis. I'm sure they are all excellent, and I tour on a pretty fat ski but I went for a light weight (for it's size) Black Diamond ski. The S7 et al are not designed with touring in mind and might be pretty heavy. Not a problem so long as you know what you are letting yourself in for. I've never seen anyone touring on a ski with a lot of reverse camber so it would be worth checking that it works OK - I can imagine on a narrow skin track a wide ski with a lot of reverse camber might be tricky. I would suggest you demo that set up but I'm not sure many shops will have that kind of ski set up with touring bindings for a demo.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Gotama will be fun and pretty versatile, interestingly you see less of them since they introduced that elongated camber thing

I ruled them out this year on the basis that I wanted camber underfoot. I couldn't take the risk, without being able to demo, that they weren't going to suck on hardpack. Note that this wasn't really a rational calculation, just blind prejudice on my part. I wonder how many others made the same calculation.

On the binding front I'd go with a Marker Baron unless you genuinely an unusually high DIN setting, in which case go for the Duke.
snow conditions
Arno - The plan is to drop into the valleys and stay in hotels.
Had a look at the Dynafit and Scott Powdair, the Scott looks interesting. However, this trip is a one off, we normally hang around La Grave and the neighbouring resorts and only occasionally have to haul on the skins.
Whitedot Preachers look nice too but I guess it'll be tough finding a hire shop stocking them for a demo.
Ummm.....
ski holidays
conolly, ignore me then wink sounds like a great trip and you should get the ski you think will be most fun on the downhill
i'd probably be looking at the s7 or the 3:zero with rocker unless you plan to ski at 100mph all the time

it would be interesting to know what your itinerary turns out to be. i've seen accounts of people going from La Grave to Chamonix using a combination of skiing (obviously), lifts, the odd taxi and no more than a couple of hours' skinning which has been added to the list of things which would be fun to try sometime
ski holidays
Arno - that's exactly the trip we're taking.
Been chatting to a friend in the US and he swears a 196 Lhasa Pow is the best ski for a single ski quivver (and considering 6ft4in & 16st). Any thoughts?
snow report
gorilla would be your man for that - he has a shorter length though I think
I'm on DPS 112RPs this season, which is a pretty sweet rig but sold out for the season
latest report
I have the 186 carbons and have put about 150 days on two different pairs, which I have had mounted with Dukes. I am 32 yrs old and weigh 80kg. Ability wise, I am not a strong skier, although I ski off-piste a lot. This is a much better ski than I am a skier. At my weight and ability, I don't feel like I need more stick than the 186.

They are a fairly stiff, straight fat ski with about 30cm of early rise. The radius is about 35m and you do feel that when skiing, although the running length is pretty short. As such, they reward someone who likes the feeling of "making" turns and driving the ski rather than someone who tends to rely more on the sidecut. They are awesome in any kind of natural snow where you have a bit of depth, can feel the rocker engage and then drive the tips through the turn. I have yet to find a speed limit on them in any condition - charging speed in powder is, frankly frightening.

There are very few circumstances they are actually bad in. Very solid hardpack is, for me at least, bad news. This is probably because I am not aggressive and don't get up the kind of speed you need to treat them like the fat GS ski they are. Similarly, if you get backseat in any condition, the semi-pintail will cause them to spin. This is very, very bad and will hurt a lot.

Be aware that PM Gear's build quality sharply divides opinion. My second pair of Lhasas, received after I warrantied the first are bombproof and I'm very happy. I've known others have experiences that I think have been pretty poor. In some ways, this is the price for dealing with an indie manufacturer.
ski holidays
Probably worth pm-ing DaveC about the Lhasas too, think he has the 196?
snow conditions
*This is very, very bad and will hurt a lot. *
No thanks.
One final thing...
Is it true that S7s are uncontrolable on prepared snow?
ski holidays
Think spyderjon is a Lhasa fan aswell???
ski holidays
Quote:

One final thing...

There are similar shape with the same concept as my Bibbys, which are 'better than manageable' on piste. Very agile and responsive in small turns, but pretty hard to get a genuine carve on - you need to (or at least I do) be going pretty damn fast to get the edge angles without overbalancing and as soon as the piste gets hard/icy it's pretty much impossible to do anything other than slarve. Whilst I'd never take them out for a full day on the piste, there's no problems at all getting around on them when you have to.
snow report
Lahasa POW 191s can cover me in nearly any condition but I don't tour. My superBROs come out on those hard pack icy inbound days.
latest report
Line SFB?? Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72449
latest report
I really like my Lhasas, but the 196 is likely too much ski for most - I keep considering downsizing mine because even at 230lbs I feel occasionally they're just a bit long. From hand comparing S7s to Lhasas, the Lhasas are stiffer and lighter.
snow report
conolly wrote:

Far from it, my missus loves carving on them. She prefers them to Rossi 84s on groomed snow.

FWIW she has them with Dynafits, still not light but it cancels the weight and has no problem on day tours.

With your Stats you might want to consider the Super 7.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Line Prophets 90 or Flite - light ski + Freeride Pro??? 90s seem to get a better write up than 100s??
snow conditions
colinstone wrote:
Line Prophets 90 or Flite - light ski + Freeride Pro??? 90s seem to get a better write up than 100s??

Again, not in the same league as what he's after.
latest report
conolly, Gotama/Katana + Duke is a nice setup but rent something lighter for your touring trip. The weight of Gotama/Katana with a Fritschi/Duke will take all the enjoyment out of touring. And you don't want Dynafit if you're mainly skiing lift served.
ski holidays
Just got a pair of 195 S7's in today to mount QK inserts in. They look a natty bit of kit although the camber is quite a bit more than the stated 8mm & they are waaay heavier than my my Llasas.
snow conditions
conolly wrote:
.......Is it true that S7s are uncontrolable on prepared snow?

Shouldn't be with all that camber.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy