Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road and rest stop advice (Calais to Les Arcs)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We paid €1.28 in Chateauroux and €1.34 on the motorway near Dijon.

Either way, its 20% cheaper than the UK.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great info here. We were going to go via Lyon, but it looks like B en B might add some more interest to the journey

Thanks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just arrived in Les Arcs (1800) used the advise I'd been given earlier in this thread. Topped up fuel in the UK at Ashford. Autoroute fills €1.31 or €1.32. Travelled via Bourg-en-Bresse as we originally intended, no issues. Peage tag did it's usual good job, just remember that not all booths are 30kph capable.
Light occasional rain meant reduced speed to 110kph at times but we still maintained a reasonable average. 11 hrs total journey time from Calais, that included 1hr 30 mins for fuel and food shopping. Albertville Geante was the chosen supermarket for ready food. Now need beer then sleep! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BMF_Skier wrote:
Peage tag did it's usual good job, just remember that not all booths are 30kph capable.
Hope you didn't learnn that the hard way!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Light occasional rain meant reduced speed to 110kph

French law only requires 110 for heavy rain Toofy Grin I believe
Quote:

11 hrs total journey time from Calais, that included 1hr 30 mins

Hmm 9.5 hours not too bad I suppose .......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BMF_Skier, glad you made it in good time. the lack of snow fall has its benefits. wink

Boredsurfing, my understanding is that if the road is wet (not just if it's raining heavily), it's 110 mph (68 mph) on motorways and dual carriageways and single carriageway roads (normally 90 kph) are reduced to 80 kp). They do say that the gendarmerie on the section between Reims and Calais are especially vigilant if it's raining when the rosbifs are dashing for their ferries.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
BMF_Skier, glad you made it in good time. the lack of snow fall has its benefits. wink

No snow chains required and i needn't have used winter tyres. Shocked It looks more like April than January when approaching the area. Sad

We went with the flow when it rained, either way, there were very few cars exceeding 110kph in the wet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It looks more like April than January when approaching the area

We drove down to Chambery this morning (flying out) and I thought the same thing. I kept expecting to see primroses and gentians - 'cept it was freezing cold. But there'll be plenty of snow up the mountain. You never know, you might be glad of the winter tyres when you're leaving.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Thanks for the postive vibes.
No new snow Sad and v cold here in Arc 1800.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flog - yes getting the tunnel at 7 on Friday 4h February. Topping up diesel at the Carrefour at Cite Europe and then Cham in one hit (aiming for 8 hours).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MattyNeth, bet you got a nice 2 litre diesel that does 1500 miles per gallon! Try a truck with AT tires that does 25 and at steady pace 27 to the gallon. Keep an eye out for black Navara with carry boy box and bored driver! I had booked the 6.30 and then decided Dorset to Folkestone was a tad optimistic in 2.5hrs! Think its the 7.20 to be precise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy