Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road and rest stop advice (Calais to Les Arcs)

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of questions.
On Thursday this week we’re off to Les Arcs. Very Happy The european part of the drive starts in Calais and are taking the main autotroutes to Arc 1800.
A26\A5\A31\A39\A40\A42\A432\A43\A430\N90
Lyon\Reims\Troyes\Dijon\Bourg-en-Bresse\Chambery, Albertville

Along this route are there any fuel\rest stops that people can recommend or that should be avoided?

Are there any major issues on the roads (road works\ diversions etc) that may mean a different route would be better?
It's a run we've done many times but it's sometimes useful to get up to date info.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BMF_Skier, Driving in a Thursday should not pose any problems as not a transfer day. No ,major roadorks at the moment and any service station will do. We travel with a just 4 year old and did it with just 1 brief stop around Dijon (about 5 hours from Calais).

Actually just looking at your route you are going via Bourg en Bresse....?? You should stick on the Autoroute de Soleil to Lyon from Dijon don't go via BeB.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with taking the Autoroute de Soleil

All the stops are pretty much the same but they can get busier as you get close to Lyon. Petrol price are similar to UK but diesel is +10% cheaper.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth, Good point re the Autoroute de Soleil. I'd choosen the Bourg-en-Bresse route as, on my trips, the Lyons area has history of being silly particularly at the peage. It's slightly further but I have always found the route quieter and quicker. The Autoroute de Soleil is there as an alternate though. Is there a new bye pass near Lyons since last season?
We have two kids in the car who are good travellers and hopefully will be busy watching their DVD's. We tend to take our time and have at least 2 stops on this run with a final fuel top up in Albertville.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mouth wrote:
You should stick on the Autoroute de Soleil to Lyon from Dijon don't go via BeB.

Why is that? I often go via BeB as the autoroutes seem quieter and I prefer the scenery. What are the disadvantages to this route? Is there much in it in terms of travel time?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am i correct in assuming everyone goes via the lyon airport autoroute to get around Lyon or have I being doing it wrong for all these years
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
via Bourg en Bresse is the way to go, come out at Lyon airport and it is then 2 hours to Bourg St Maurice. This route is 20 km longer but as previously said a lot quieter better scenery and better service stations. Should be 9 hours from Calais with 2 15 minutes stops.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski, Thats the road i've been taking, A432, then the A43 towards Chambery.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I drove back last weekend it looked like new bit of the A432 was about to open , Ville France straight to Lyon airport , has it opened yet ? another 10 mins will be knocked off journey .

As a I take this journey five times a year I can confirm Route Soleil is quicker but Bourg on Bresse prettier and less congested .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, Wrong all these years Toofy Grin
Rob Mackley,
Quote:

I can confirm Route Soleil is quicker

+1

Quote:

When I drove back last weekend it looked like new bit of the A432 was about to open

Hopefully very soon, as you say another 10 mins off, to be added to the 10/15 saved by the Reims bypass Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rob Mackley wrote:
I can confirm Route Soleil is quicker

How much quicker? At Christmas I drove down via Bourg en Bresse and back via Lyon and it didn't feel like there was much in it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, I reckon the chicken run is 15 mins more ifirc someone on here said viamichelin or google makes it 10 mins more.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So just 10-15 minutes longer via BeB? That's nothing on an 11 hour drive. Think I shall stick with my usual route. Scenery is nicer and less traffic means the car stays on cruise control more often than not, making for a more relaxed drive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, 11 hours? B*gger I always allow 9 to Calais Toofy Grin
580 miles at 70mph (avg speed) plus 2 10 min breaks.
I've been driving that route since before the motorways were completed, too old to change now Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing, I normally do it in 9.5 hours, but was being generous with time for stops wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, Reminds me off the time we went with with a group of 4 cars, all the bl**dy totally unnecessary stops added 2 hours and we had already planned to stop overnight in Beaune, we didn't get to LP until 4pm as 'they' insisted on stopping in Albertville for lunch Shocked Even that was painful as they wanted to find a car park with 4 spaces next to each other Evil or Very Mad
I was all for "you have lunch we'll see you there", but I wasn't allowed to say that ............
Can laugh about it now but at the time Skullie
snow report
Boredsurfing, Laughing I share your pain. Much better to get it over with in one hit. Pack some sandwiches to eat while driving. A couple of short stops to use the loo and before you know it you're in the SuperU at Bourg St Maurice.
ski holidays
I always pack sarnies for us and have a box of choccy biscuits and bars in the car to snack on and some made up squash, we don't therefore need to 'formally' stop and eat on the journey. When we stop I guess we average around 15 mins each time by the time we have tipped everyone out sent everyone to the loo, grabbed something that passes for coffee (it's 'hot' to swallow from them machines!) and sent the kids to run around for a couple of mins (if space permits) to get their blood moving. The 'chicken' is good for that.
ski holidays
I hear what you all say anout 2 x 10 minutes stops - sounds like Hamilton in the pit lane but i get so damned bored! 4 of us in the truck so 70 is good, 80 is tops, cc on and sit back but as there's little traffic and the roads are so good....i just get bored! If it was more like the M25 where you need to break, accelerate, stop, road rage, police camera then at least that keeps you alert!
Perhaps a thread should start.... What to do after hour 3 (that's when you have exhausted the "bug, i forgot the thermals and.." or the "yeah, bought new planks for this trip, all we need is 10 foot of powder and i should be good...."
What about a music thread...does anyone want the 4 discs i put together last year from Peter Kays Animated all star band via Snow Patrol (thought it was apt), touching an abba track (always keep the girls happy) ending with a little New Model Army or Spear of Destiny to prove I was hip at 18!! Any takers...............
snow report
Sorry, could be a hijack thread rant then! Embarassed
snow report
flog873347, Red Bull and talking books do it for me. This journey down I listened to Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show for most of the time. On other occasions Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter has helped ease the drive.
latest report
Yep, talking books are terrific. That one about the girl in Afghanistan had us enthralled for hours (forget the name).

I would always do Bourg en Bresse. Why drive a busier and less attractive road to save 20 kms on a journey of that length? It only takes a slight hold up to knock that advantage on the head.

When my OH is asleep I listen to 'arry Poteur in French. wink
ski holidays
flog873347, I agree. The kids are the lucky ones, well, they are in our car. Dual DVD player, food, drink, books. It's only the adults that are thinking "when's the next fuel stop?", "should I turn off cruise control", playing with the ipod, and getting the kids to pass the sarnies forward! Decisions, decisions.....
4 days to go for us and we'll be in Arc 1800 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Fiil up at Ashford Tesco (jct 10) and then next stop is Chambery Toofy Grin
The sooner the 30kph Peage barriers become more widespread the better.
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
Am i correct in assuming everyone goes via the lyon airport autoroute to get around Lyon or have I being doing it wrong for all these years

Yes we do that and i think it is better
snow report
Quote:

The sooner the 30kph Peage barriers become more widespread the better.

they might, but the other thing likely to become more widespread is a 110kph speed limit, I suspect.
snow report
pam w, Not with the investment being made in 3 lane widening at the moment, one of the justifications was maintaining average speeds and safety thereof.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

The kids are the lucky ones, well, they are in our car. Dual DVD player, food, drink, books

Kids! Daughter is done and dusted - she'll be on ski train overnight and we collect at BSM. 4 adults and i'm still bored!
Quote:

Fiil up at Ashford Tesco (jct 10) and then next stop is Chambery

Are you sure that's wise - what is diesel like in France these days - I paid 134p this morning so hoping to be empty when hit the right hand side of the road! Perhaps a thread of north to south diesel pricing should be next?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a bit cheaper in France - cheaper off the motorways but probably not worth doing what some people say and going off into a town and faffing round for 45 minutes to save a few bob.
ski holidays
http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ good for local prices but not sure how often site is updated.

Carrefour at Calais, just off J3, turn right (from port) 500m ish on left. Good top up for return home with 24h pump. Rotten Ronnies there too, if that's your thing.
ski holidays
as soon as i leave the eurotunnel i go straight to the fuel station near the Calais footie ground and Majestic .normally cheapest diesel around also judging by the amount of lorries filling up , then try and make to the super U at BSM if i can on one tank ( car has big tank ) , normally 10% cheaper than the motorway stations .
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
the super U at BSM
Always seems to be the cheapest fuel that I find, by a decent margin.
snow conditions
Heading to Val cenis at half term so should avoid the worst of it around Albertville/BSM however assume it would be wise to avoid Lyon and head down the chicken run. Did that route on an Annecy trip in the summer and its certainly an easier drive.
flog873347, any chance of a download link to that maegamix to get us through the journey while the kids catch up with last years cinema releases?
snow report
If travelling with kids a PS3 can be hooked up to work through the car's DVD player for when they get bored watching films. May need to invest in an inverter for the 13amp plug on the PS3 easily avalable from places like Maplin.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/150w-dc-12v-to-ac-230v-power-invertor-with-usb-charging-socket-392915
snow conditions
I always use the BeB route but take the more scenic D1504 to Chambery. Adds on an hour I'd say but no tolls and very scenic.
snow report
600 miles? Bloody lightweights, try 2183 in just over two and a half days . . . BBCRadio7 and Pandora internet keeps me alive, that and summat called 5hour energy. Red Bull makes my head squirrelly and my pee smell weird.
ski holidays
Good tips here. Driving down to Samoens from Calais in a full VW Shuttle a week on Saturday, may alter my route based on this.

Thanks
ski holidays
flog873347,

More to the point, do you believe in the westworld? wink
snow conditions
Bergmeister, Arghhhh, Kirk where are you now? If only that haircut was still in fashion and my hair was blond and not turning grey. Perhaps Liberator will be trucking in France soon, or will it be Micky, but They'll Never Take Me Alive in the Outlands.... Toofy Grin
snow report
Is anyone trucking on Friday 4h February? I think we're on the tunnel about 7.30am going down to Albert. snowHead too
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy