Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with avalanche airbag systems

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

asking to put a ‘special request’ onto the booking reference does seem to mean something to them

Thanks duncan, that's a good tip, I'll try that with them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

I haven't bothered with pre-clearance for a couple of seasons - no issues yet across a number of airlines [/tempting fate]

I have not had a problem yet having flown through Innsbruck, Geneva and Grenoble with the bag and without having pre-alerted the airline. I always discuss it with them at check-in and have the documentation both on me and tied round the cylinder. Usually in more than one language.

I don't usually bother telling the checkin person. The one recent exception to this was in Innsbruck where the checkin lady actually recognised my Snowpulse bag (which I was using as carry-on) and checked I had disarmed it.

I haven't tried taking it to Canada although might look into that more closely for a trip I have lined up in December
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I don't usually bother telling the checkin person.

I got pulled up on the tarmac at LGW where they did the whole "is this your bag, sir?" thing. Being able to say "as I discussed with your colleagues" at that point was really helpful.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

I don't usually bother telling the checkin person.

I got pulled up on the tarmac at LGW where they did the whole "is this your bag, sir?" thing. Being able to say "as I discussed with your colleagues" at that point was really helpful.

Shock

Did the cylinder show up on an X-ray, or was there some other reason they were suspicious?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't bother telling check in, never had a problem, canister in with main hold baggage, just wear ABS as a normal rucksack and walk on.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I told Easyjet the guy on the phone was not interested at all. But... if there is ever a question raised at check in I can give the date of the phone call and tell them that they were informed. I use the rucksack as carry on luggage too. Thinking back though, there was a question raised on a Lufthansa flight via Frankfurt where the customs chap checked that it was on the manifest that I was carrying it. He actually came right to the boarding desk with me, but that may have been because after clearing customs the plane was boarding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno,
Quote:

I haven't tried taking it to Canada although might look into that more closely for a trip I have lined up in December

I have customers who fly quite often to Canada with theirs on the Pure Powder operation.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any advance on Arno's tactics and just turning up? I'm flying to GVA this weekend (Verb here we come) with an ABS pack and reckon I must have wasted about 2 hours on the phone today trying to contact someone in British Airways that can actually speak English and understand a word I'm saying - and so far still no luck, so I'm tempted to just give it a go on the day...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ just turning up is cool.

though probably best to check the cylinder in with your skis + boots along with copy of the EU regulations.

the airport staff are getting very used to air bags.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Haggis. 'BFT!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flying with Swiss on 28 December and following the requirements on the web site, sent them an email notifying them I'm carrying an ABS pack. They've replied stating that there's an £83 charge for this. Their 'restricted items' list on the website only states that the the pack needs to be registered with them hence, my email, no mention of any charge. Rather piissed off about this and will follow up with a phone call.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flying with Swiss on 28 December and following the requirements on the web site, sent them an email notifying them I'm carrying an ABS pack. They've replied stating that there's an £83 charge for this. Their 'restricted items' list on the website only states that the the pack needs to be registered with them hence, my email, no mention of any charge. Rather piissed off about this and will follow up with a phone call.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kelskii, never heard that before, mind you Swiss know how to charge, O'Leary Air will love this once he gets wind of an opportunity. Suggest if Swiss insist on charging you just say your not taking, and then just take it anyway. It's more about the airport security rather than the airlines I think. My pal I am meeting in Cham tomorrow has just flown out yesterday and never bothered telling his carrier, I sometimes don't bother either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kelskii, I emailed them a few weeks ago about a trip in Jan, no mention of any charge, just a polite reply saying "that's fine so long as it conforms to the IATA regulations". Do follow up, I really think (and hope!) that its a mistake on the part of someone who doesn't understand rather than a change in the rules.

I also phoned Lufthansa (who own Swiss) last week to tell them the same with regard to a flight to Munich, again the reply was "that's fine", it was added to the booking as a special item but no charge.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just got the following from Monarch.....

Thank you for your email.

We will be pleased to carry your avalanche back pack either as hand baggage or hold baggage with prior approval.
Can you please ensure the following:

• Only one avalanche back pack per person is permitted equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing not more than 200 mg net of Division 1.4S and a cylinder of compressed non-toxic, non-flammable gas not exceeding 250 ml.
• The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated.
• The airbags within the back packs must be fitted with pressure relief valves.
• The cylinder will need to be attached to the valve during transit in order for it to be permitted for carriage.
• It is not to be worn on the person

Please send an email with the details about your booking reference so we can comment the booking.
Our email address is preflight.internetqueries@monarch.co.uk.

The statement that the cylinder will need to be attached to the valve during transit seems a bit odd Puzzled
snow conditions
sah, Markymark29, I replied immediately to their email querying the charge but yet to receive a reply. Hope it is a mistake.
snow report
Quote:

The statement that the cylinder will need to be attached to the valve during transit seems a bit odd

Very odd. Everything else they say is taken direct from the IATA regulations:

Avalanche rescue backpack, one (1) per person, containing a cylinder of compressed gas in
Div. 2.2. May also be equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than
200 mg net of Div. 1.4S. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be
accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief
valves.

Saying it must be connected seems to contradict "must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be
accidentally activated" ???
snow report
Air Canada also require the cylinder to be attached but checked in, no carry-on allowed.
ski holidays
I wonder if the airline think the cylinder is safer when connected to the valve because there's a pressure relief valve on the airbag? I.e. they think it's better if the cylinder discharges through the airbag than exploding? Trouble with that idea is that it doesn't work like that, the cylinder won't discharge through the airbag unless it is activated, no matter what happens to it. I think the rules may be written by someone who doesn't realize how airbags work and they just assume that connecting to a valve is safer than not connecting?
snow report
sah, could be, sometimes the rules appear to not make a lot of sense. Will you be in St Anton over new year? Will be meeting up with Dulcamara for a bit of skiing if you fancy it?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 19-12-13 18:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Kelskii wrote:
sah, coud be, sometimes the rules appear to not make a lot of sense. Will you be in St Anton over new year? Will be meeting up with Dulcamara for a bit of skiing if you fancy it?

Yep, I'll PM you my email.
ski holidays
sah, I spoke to Lufthansa today re our January MUC flights and the person said its fine, no need to record it even, as though I was daft even to ask!
snow report
Markymark29, I got that impression from BA and on my last flight didn't bother registering the pack. I just mentioned it at check-in and all hell broke loose; they pulled my bag off the plane to inspect the trigger and cylinder but didn't really understand what they were looking at, it was chaos. Eventually agreed it was OK and the flight took off late.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 21-12-13 20:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Kelskii, Yup, the one good thing about having it mentioned on the manifest is that once someone on the desk sees that it is 'recorded' then even if they know nothing about the issue they just assume that if it's been approved then it's all ok.
ski holidays
Swiss responded to my reply stating that there is only a charge if the pack constitutes excess baggage so, relieved about this. Looks like their initial email mentioning the £83 charge was a mistake.

Kelskii wrote:
snow report
Kelskii, common sense prevailed! EJ LVP/ GVA and back this weekend, all 3 of us straight through, security totally happy with them these days. Canister and trigger in hold, rucksack as hand luggage btw.
latest report
Jet2: I spoke to their customer services, then emailed the address they gave to me. I've not had a confirmatory e-mail (2 weeks later); I'm not expecting any problems when I check in (Manchester to Geneva) but It would be useful to hear of anyone else's experience with Jet2
ski holidays
E-mailed easyjet twice about two bookings I have (contact form on their web site only lets you add one booking reference at a time), and received the following replies.

Thank you for contacting us.
I can confirm that you can carry the avalanche rescue backpacks either in your cabin or your hold baggage.If you are carrying it in your cabin baggage it should be within the dimension of 56x45x25cm (including wheels, handles and pockets) and will be free of charge.
Yours sincerely,

and

I would like to inform you that one passenger can carry, equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than 200 mg net of division 1.4S and less than 250 ml of compresses gas in division 2.2. The bag pack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The air bags within the back bag packs must br fitted in pressure relief valves. It can either be carried in hold or as cabin luggage.

If you have any further queries you can click on the below link to contact us:

Customer Services
Thank you for contacting us.

All seems fairly straightforward.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AB Ski, The latest IATA regs no longer have the "less than 250ml" wording so the slightly larger cylinders are now legal. This has been the case since January 2013 so obviously some of the airlines are not keeping up to date. Very Happy
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge, guess this highlights that it will be wise to ensure I take a copy of the latest IATA regs (table 2.3.A) with me.
latest report
Hi to everyone! Happy New Year by the way Very Happy

This is my first post in the community. I've found it searching on the web for information on ABS transportation and carriers.

First of all, sorry for my english. It's not my mother tongue language.

I just wanted to share an issue I've had recently in an airport (Munchen more precisely).

I own an ABS backpack and this was the first time I was taking it within a flight. I phoned the air carrier (Lufthansa) to inform and they said there was no problem with it as long as the mechanism couldn't be activated accidentally. They didn't give me any advise on how to pack it and such.

So I made the flight from Madrid to Munchen. No problem. Cartridge and trigger were in their box inside the check-in baggage. I took the backpack on board as an ordinary rucksack.

On the flight back (December 14th) I found out once at home that my baggage had been opened. Police left a paper copy saying that in terms of safety the cartridge had been taken away from my luggage.

I've read about IATAs compliance with the ABS and I understand that I did everything correctly.

After 15 days, Lufthansa has given me a polite answer saying that this is an issue with the local safety authorities and has nothing to do with them. But this is kind of weird since in the paper copy I have, they encourage me to contact the carrier for any claim.

Did I miss something when packing? I didn't say anything at the desk during the check-in. Should I?

I'd like to know how to proceed the next time with the ABS, since in Febraury I'll be flying again with it to Chamonix.

Thanks for your help.
snow conditions
polinauer, Never heard of that one, I wish you luck. I would claim, and state that Lufthansa had given permission to carry it as it was not prohibited by the regs. maybe say that you are aware that a mistake has been made by the airport security and you would like to be compensated. If you get no joy escalate it, cause as much bad publicity to the airport as possible, encourage other skiers to write and state that they will no longer give that airport their business. These days it seems that consumer action and potential bad publicity on the net can hurry claims along.
snow report
Really interesting topic and forum!
I own a Snowpulse (1rst generation with the american 207bars refillable cylinder)
My experience in Canada in the last 2 years have been pretty easy since i though you couln't fly with a full cylinder, so when i flew out west i would deploy the bag...
Had an issue the first time in Québec city even with an empty cylinder since i couln't open the top part (there was loctite on it!) but they eventually realize it was empty so let it go...
Traveled to the states with an empty one, and they always asked that i unscrew the top part so they can see inside... at the end i was traveling with the top part with me in the cabin and the empty cylinder in the hold luggage...
Hope this help!

I have some questions regarding an upcoming trip!

I have a ski trip departing from Canada and including stops in Switzerland (Zurich), then a stop in Taiwan (ok i won't snowboard there obviously) then on to Japan....
I have the 207 cylinder, now it's empty so i shoud not have any trouble from Canada to Switzerland...
Here are my questions:

1) Is there a refill center for that kind of cylinder (207bars with dry air ) in Switzerland (Zurich or Andermatt?)
The thing is i don't have the 2.0 snowpulse system... and the mammut site seems only to refer to rental stations for that kind of bag...

2) I never done it, but i think there's a way to go to a scuba diving shop with an adapter and refill the cylinder...
If i do that and then fly with the full cylinder, can i connect it full in switzerland, and then disconnect it from the bag for the next flight? or do i have to deploy it everytime ???

3) With all the paperwork (IATA, calling airlines etc) you guys think i could fly with a full cannister from Taiwan to Japan (EVA Air) and then domestic flights with ANA in Japan?
Sure thing is i'll have to deploy the bag when i come back because i have a stop in Chicago before returning to Canada....

4) Any refill centers or rentals for the 207 cylinder (for the first generation of snowpulse) around Hakuba and Hokkaido?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Nicolas
snow report
Quote:
polinauer, Never heard of that one, I wish you luck. I would claim, and state that Lufthansa had given permission to carry it as it was not prohibited by the regs. maybe say that you are aware that a mistake has been made by the airport security and you would like to be compensated. If you get no joy escalate it, cause as much bad publicity to the airport as possible, encourage other skiers to write and state that they will no longer give that airport their business. These days it seems that consumer action and potential bad publicity on the net can hurry claims along.

Really? Sad

I just can't understand how, Munich, one of the main entrance airports to the Alps has no knowledge on this. Clearly, my bag hasn't been the first one carrying an ABS canister inside through the X rays. So besides the claim, I'd like to know what went wrong or what I did wrong.

For the time being, I have the unlucky response from the carrier and another one from the airport saying that they forwarded my inquiry to the correct department, "cabin lost" Puzzled Shocked

In any case, thanks for your reply and I'll keep you updated.
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
Jet2: I spoke to their customer services, then emailed the address they gave to me. I've not had a confirmatory e-mail (2 weeks later); I'm not expecting any problems when I check in (Manchester to Geneva) but It would be useful to hear of anyone else's experience with Jet2

No email response from Jet 2 or note on my booking when I checked in. I mentioned my Avalanche Rescue backpack and she phoned her supervisor, then a number of questions relayed over the phone re volumes. pressures etc. Fortunately I had all the details on the printed email so could answer the questions; a quick and painless process.

I've just phoned Easyjet re my next flight to find which email address to send details to, my heart sank when I got through to an apparently Indian call centre; but no all very efficient. She asked to call me back in a couple of minutes; which she did with a list of questions from her supervisor; pressures and volumes again. No need for email she added notes to my booking on basis of the questions and answers.

All in all very encouraging
snow report
Just flown with Thompson with my airbag. Notified them in advance via tour operator and zero problems. They added a note to the booking, didn't require me to do anything else, didn't mention at check in, everything as it should be.
latest report
Here is a copy of the latest edition of Table 2.3.A for you in english.

[img][media]http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/20140112144552265.pdf[/media][/img]
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I've just phoned Easyjet re my next flight to find which email address to send details to, my heart sank when I got through to an apparently Indian call centre; but no all very efficient. She asked to call me back in a couple of minutes; which she did with a list of questions from her supervisor; pressures and volumes again. No need for email she added notes to my booking on basis of the questions and answers.

All in all very encouraging

Just did exactly this:
My heart sank too, but all very efficient and she said I don't even need to notify check-in...
I'll be packing and carrying the IATA regs tho!
Seems the carriers are wising up quickly now Smile
latest report
Quote:

Really?

I just can't understand how, Munich, one of the main entrance airports to the Alps has no knowledge on this. Clearly, my bag hasn't been the first one carrying an ABS canister inside through the X rays. So besides the claim, I'd like to know what went wrong or what I did wrong.

For the time being, I have the unlucky response from the carrier and another one from the airport saying that they forwarded my inquiry to the correct department, "cabin lost"

In any case, thanks for your reply and I'll keep you updated.

Finally I managed to get the proper point of contact to forward my complaints Smile

And this is what I got back from the chief manager of Lufthansa's baggage service in Munich:

Dear Mr. Polo,

I did some research why the cartridge was removed from your baggage. I was told that it was packed separately in your bag and that it was not build in the avalanche rescue system. It is true, that you are allowed to transport this kind of cartridge in your checked baggage as long as it is built in ,for example, an avalanche rescue back pack. We are not allowed to send this single cartridge via aircraft to you. Please contact Sand Baggage Services if you want to have it send to you for e.g. via UPS on your cost. You can contact them via email: transporte@baggageservice.de

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

So in the end I was doing something wrong. Hopefully I won't have any trouble again but the point is that I wasn't warned to have it that way when I phoned the airline.

I hope this issue helps other people travelling with an ABS.
ski holidays
polinauer, very harsh... The advice is normally to pack bags so that the airbag can not possibly activate, so detaching the cylinder seems very sensible to me. FWIW I just travelled with LH with cylinder separated and had no problems.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy