Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday 2011

Poster: A snowHead
bar shaker, agreed, even though I don't board.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers for the feedback, it's Graham with an H by the way not some twisted English spelling of the name... Yes I knew Fanara, Richard and Jansrud would have a good chance and said so the night before at the bib draw, because I've been watching the racing so far this season on Eurosport.

Eurosport is great for live ski racing, Ski Sunday is a magazine programme that needs to accommodate a much wider audience. Last weekends show peaked at 1.8 Million viewers, I figure that at least half of those have never set foot on skis.

If the weather holds for the weekend it should be a great Laurberhorn.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads Graham! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Question for someone: In your opinion(s), is the red button coverage on BBC any better than Eurosport ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
grahambell, welcome to snowheads, Martin's been here for *ages*

spyder_pig, I've been watching both, the coverage is the same inasmuch as it's the "official" camera coverage, the difference for me is the commentary. Eurosport usually have Nick Fellowes + A.N. Other, but I've notice Matt Chilton (who does the BBC commentary) do one or two races as main commentator. I really think Chemmy's commentary has added a lot to the recent races I've seen (just catching up and am onto val d'isere and val gardena), looking forward to seeing the rest
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I enjoyed it when I got round to watching, usually out Sunday instructing then with the kids at race club (ironic eh!) until around 9 so end up watching on catch up. As a result I miss the red button coverage with is a shame but also watch as much as I can on Eurosport on the Saturday.

Graham's point is a good one IMHO, most people here are very keen skiers and perhaps look for more hard core coverage but Ski Sunday has a very important role in keeping the flag flying on terrestrial TV and in introducing people to ski racing and reaching out to an audience beyond us 'keeners' Razz

My only gripe is that the BBC don't give the guys a longer slot every week and a longer series, apart from that as far as I'm concerned the jobs a good 'un and keep up the good work guys.

BTW grahambell I'm the guy from The Ski School on Cairngorm who chatted to you in the queue for the Cas t-bar when you were skiing with your nieces on the 27th December - was with my 2 kids, one of them being the small, slightly crazy 7 year old Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyder_pig wrote:
Question for someone: In your opinion(s), is the red button coverage on BBC any better than Eurosport ?

No, it's rubbish in my view because you can't set up a recording for it! (At least not with my kit).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Connect the output scart/HDMI from TV or set top box to input (AV1/AV2 etc.) on recorder and press record.
Only downside is you have to be around to press the buttons - I use to record music concerts etc. from red button
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just one question graham , NAVICA? wear did you get that from? off to mayrhofen and me and my mate are thinking of taking our old 1990s navica jackets for a retro day. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

No, it's rubbish in my view because you can't set up a recording for it! (At least not with my kit).

You can, you just have to be a bit inventive. What "kit" do you have?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome grahambell, - Aren't we lucky SH's to now have both Bell brothers here and Chemmy too who also drops by from time to time. Very Happy

I must set my recording box up for Ski Sunday this week - it is on just around early evening as it always has been and always clashes with sorting out my animals for the evening. I enjoyed the ski racing that followed on 'press red' afterwards though. I have only been skiing for a relatively short time, but have enjoyed Ski Sunday since I was a child - it used to be regular watching and we were allowed to eat tea in front of the TV (ah, the good old days Very Happy ) to catch the likes of Franz Klammer knocking ten skittles out of the Lauberhorn.

I am in two minds about the new format - the ski racing is still the most exciting part to watch IMV, and I think that Ski-Sunday should be careful it doesn't do a 'Top Gear' and go too OTT with the 'magazine' approach. That said it is interesting to see what experts make of new gear and of course any dose of snow on TV is always welcome Toofy Grin, but I wouldn't want to see the ski racing lost completely and it would be disappointing if it was only on the 'press red' option that I can't record whilst I need to feed my animals.

Maybe Ski Sunday should cover the EoSB Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 12-01-11 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with some of the disappointment about the series starting late-ish in the season and the guys not being given a long enough slot each week but that iconic music still sends a shiver of excitement down my spine every time I hear it Very Happy Long live SS!!!
P.S. Loved the boarding in China - seems a long way to go tho for such a diddy hill Cool
P.P.S. Really makes you appreciate the vast number of facilities we have in UK and on our doorstep Blush
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I was a Ski Sunday kid too. Klammer, Zurbriggen, Tomba, we would all be talking about them at school on Monday... and at work on Monday in later years. I think the mens' downhill was probably talked about as much in the winter as Formula One was in the summer. I had never skied back then but hummed the signature tune to myself for weeks after booking my first ever trip in my mid twenties.

That was 22 years ago and there was only skiing then. And only the main alpine events, no freestyle, no ski cross and no boarding. There are now so many activities on snow that the producer's choices on what to include must be hard ones.

The format of having two thirds devoted to the elite alpine events and the other third to more off the wall stuff really works for me.

Things that have also worked for me in the past have been...

The railway trip across the Alps
The celebs learning to ski better (I normally hate this sort of thing but liked their choice of celebs)
The cross country races between Graham and Ed (one resort to another, skinning and hiking between descents)

As Graham has said, the programme's majority of viewers will have never sat on a ski lift in their lives and the BBC will be primarily catering for these people, but putting in enough to keep Snowheads tuning in too. In that it does very well and I like it.

Considering the plethora of satellite channels that now exist, I'm surprised that we don't see more privately made skiing programmes. We are swamped with fishing programmes, survival programmes and 'doing up yer house' programmes. Skiing may be a bit more expensive to produce but the going rate for selling programmes would seem to make it viable, especially if you got show sponsors such as car companies and clothing/gear suppliers. I think a short series on technique, say with three grades catered and new technique tips building each week, would be popular to watch and popular in DVD sales.

But first you would have to agree on what is correct technique Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker, only one I've seen is Skier's World, which used to be on Travel Channel. Not seen it at all this year though.

Do like the Ski Cross, but not so fussed about the "stunt" disciplines.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Snowfix podcast was good, but has sadly finished now !
snow report
Just watched yesterdays episode on Sky+, that race looks so damn frightening... I know you can ski the Hahnenkamm, but have any snowHead actually done the proper race route?

I also liked Shaun White's personal half pipe! Shocked To think the guy is only 24 is also pretty darn impressive... he just needs a haircut Wink
ski holidays
grahambell, I have always been impressed with the camera runs you do, What kind of times can you still achieve on the courses compared to the racers? Looks like you don't do too bad even with 3 cameras attached to you!!!

Some of the recoverys were amazing.... the guy sliding along the net Shocked
latest report
spyder_pig wrote:

Its not in HD, cant see why not when it was another repeat on BBCHD and they must be given the HD footage along with the SD footage. It's a massive improvement in HD (which I'll admit is not always the case)!
snow report
I think Mr Bell has the best job in the world normally. He earnt his dosh doing the camera run for Sunday, though!
snow report
The Flying Snowplough, and when he skied the Lauberhorn. It would be bad enough even thinking of skiing that line normally - but the thought of doing it on the piste brought up to a very icy race standard blows my mind.
latest report
achilles, I thought when he referred to Kitzbuhel as an "old school" course was very telling. I guess "old school" means one where you might kill yourself as opposed to just nearly kill yourself. Racers, like all top exponents of a physical discipline are on a different planet to mere mortals, even exceptionally good ones - which I'm not!
ski holidays
Got to admit a trip to Kitz during race weekend is on the bucket list. Hats of to Belly, he did look pretty chewed up about having to ski the course with a camera in his hand. Great footage Laughing
snow report
Folks, don't forget there still to this day exists a perception from some non-skiers that our beloved sport (whatever discipline you choose to the descend/ascend the mountain by) is an elitist pursuit...and we all know it's not, if Graham and Ed present a race only programme that doesn't show the other side of it, those folk would continue to think that.

The outcry last season about High Altitude was outright snobby and completely unhelpful and frankly extremely disappointing because I loved it, who gives a toss if it appeared to be "Top Skear"...Ask anyone in the media and they'll tell you that due to the massive budget and free-reign production, Top Gear (even if you're not a car person) is a very desirable gig, Bucketloads of folk who like me think a speedo is a pair of togs or a clutch is the expensive bag the wife bought for the jobs Christmas do, tune in every week because carnut or carnot it's a damn good watch...which leads me back to HA, we could've had loads more exposure for our pastime of choice......that exposure could've been the spark to ignite that "that looks like a bit craic" in our future Olympians??....Downhiller from Dublin?..Super G'er from Swindon?..Boardercrosser from Belfast?..Halfpiper from Hereford??.....why not?..but if they don't know they'll never go.

grahambell, I too as a child of the 70's & 80's grew up with Ski Sunday as part of our regime (Sun Morn: Arbour United, Sun lunchtime: dinner, Sun afternoon: Shamrock Rovers, Sunday teatime: Ski Sunday) it was this show that soley inspired me to do my level best to get to the mountain....and many years ago (more than I care to remember) I did it, and I've done it ever since...and you played a massive part in that, I just want to say thanks and keep doing what you're doing and as we say over here, f**k the begrudgers.

Fellow Snowheads, I'm sure you'll agree with me, we can NEVER have too much snowsport or snow related coverage on TV...complaining about a programme just because the content doesn't 'meet your criterior' is counterproductive.....I don't like Coronation Street so I don't watch it but you won't hear me complaining about it either.
snow conditions
manicpb wrote:
spyder_pig wrote:

Its not in HD, cant see why not when it was another repeat on BBCHD and they must be given the HD footage along with the SD footage. It's a massive improvement in HD (which I'll admit is not always the case)!

Because the red button is not an HD channel.

In fact they removed two of the three red button channels on terrestrial freeview to make room for the HD channels.
snow report
Skijoring - EEK! Shocked
snow conditions
Hurtle, I'm loving it! Skiing and motorbikes my two favourite things in the world. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
me too, next time it snows I'll put the studded tyres on the VTR1000 and take the kids skijoring down the street.....
ski holidays
ansta1, can't work out whether I'd want to be the one riding the bike or the one hanging onto the rope on skis. Both seem equally hairy! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
Hurtle, I'm loving it! Skiing and motorbikes my two favourite things in the world. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Saw this in Passo Tonale years ago - only with horses.
snow report
Quote:

Saw this in Passo Tonale years ago - only with horses

we can have a go at ski-joering in Les Saisies, and I was very keen until I watched - it was very dull. A pretty tired-looking nag teetering round a track. Nothing like those motor-cyclists on Ski Sunday. I am going to do a one-hour lesson driving a Pisten Bully instead.
latest report
What happened to the St Moritz freeride?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Saw this in Passo Tonale years ago - only with horses

we can have a go at ski-joering in Les Saisies, and I was very keen until I watched - it was very dull. A pretty tired-looking nag teetering round a track. Nothing like those motor-cyclists on Ski Sunday. I am going to do a one-hour lesson driving a Pisten Bully instead.

This wasn't a nag-fest, it was full-on competition with tv crews etc. Fast AND furious Shocked
snow report
nbt wrote:
spyder_pig, I've been watching both, the coverage is the same inasmuch as it's the "official" camera coverage, the difference for me is the commentary. Eurosport usually have Nick Fellowes + A.N. Other, but I've notice Matt Chilton (who does the BBC commentary) do one or two races as main commentator. I really think Chemmy's commentary has added a lot to the recent races I've seen (just catching up and am onto val d'isere and val gardena), looking forward to seeing the rest

Ah Chemmy, that woman can talk Very Happy

She does know first hand what she is talking about though obviously. I think her and Matt Chilton are an excellent combination (on the recent Eurosport coverage)
snow report
roga, You can record the red button if you have a freeview capable recorder or box attached to convert an analogue recorder. Red button is freeview channel 301 and is the same as all the others in the way it works.
snow conditions
How mad was that motobike/ ski combo event? Looked a bit mad but great fun, well done Graham, Ski Sunday has got better and better, I take back my earlier comment above..........well done!!
snow report
Jake43,
Quote:

You can record the red button if ...

...the bl**dy BBC actually start the coverage at the time they advertise in the (very) small print in the Radio Times. I only managed to catch the Super G coverage on Saturday morning because I decided to set up the VCR half-an-hour before the anticipated start, and discovered we were 10 minutes in already.
latest report
Acacia, Ah but I have been caught like that before so always allow an hour before and after then fast forward to program...
ski holidays
Acacia, if you have freeview plus, you can just set it to record and it doesn't matter if the time changes.
latest report
Loved High Altitude and think the new SS format is great for someone like me that gets a bit bored after half a dozen race runs.
snow report
Today's episode summary:

Hooray for Hitler. Also, some skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy