Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Don't know how long it's been on for this winter, but Ski Sunday is on tonight at 17:00. Only a 45 min show featuring the Men's GS from Adelboden and some feature on world's best snowboarders.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-01-11 10:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MoodyFFS, cheers, will be watching.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MoodyFFS, as usual they will concentrate on the men's events and mention the ladies in passing. Without Chemmy, there's no chance of an even balance. Thank God for German and Austrian TV coverage!!!

I just wish that they'd return to the original successful formula that made Ski Sunday so unmissable. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, I guess it is more of a return to the original format than the first "re-vamp"... i'd prefer to see ladies in lycra too Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Preview video blog here, seems tonight is the first show...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MoodyFFS, OMG - edited race highlights, Ed and Graeme rabbiting on about "boy's toys ideas" and complete biased BS about other things! Sorry I will not be turning over - even Nick Fellowes on Eurosport is more interesting and that's saying something!.

Ed and Graeme seem to be trying too hard to deliver a skiing version of Top Gear - Euk what a turn off! I liked their High Altitude series - that was a winning formula. This is a mish-mash of nothing Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MoodyFFS, They look like the've had a week without sleep Toofy Grin

Prefer the older format that made it successful. Theres enough of the proper skiing on throughout the weekend and so already have seen and know the results. Bring back the entertainment. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still don't understand why they start Ski Sunday 1/3 way through the World Cup race season. They have missed at least 3 Downhill, 3 Super G, 4 GS & 4 Slalom races for both men & women. They only show a small amount of racing and they will probably finish before the World Cup finals in March before the winners of the crystal globes have been decided.
Good job we have Eurosport!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plugboy, agreed. But for those of us who don't receive Eurosport it's a precious nugget of ski racing coverage. I was so impressed with the TV coverage in Austria this week, ORF1 had ski racing on every night. But there's the difference, in the UK skiing is a niche interest sport, in Austria it's a way of life.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, maybe the wrong thread for you then? Wink

As for the skiing version of Top Gear... that is exactly what they were going for a few seasons ago, less like that now - but sure it's nothing like the original and IMO best version from my yoof...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BLOODY BBC WALES!!! Why the hell would I want to watch sodding rugby when there's skiing to be seen Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Thank god we can get 'real' BBC through the evil Sky or there'd be serious trouble... Grrrrr!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MoodyFFS, got it marked on the planner. I'll give it a good chance but my gut feeling is that I'll turn over before it ends. I never used to do that in the old days (even with the delights of Eurosport, etc to distract me then!). I'm an optimist most of the time .............. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BBC Wales tonight at 12.15 - 1.00 am (so more sort of "Ski early Monday!) BBC 2 Wales but next week at 4.45pm on Sunday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MoodyFFS, thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plugboy wrote:
Still don't understand why they start Ski Sunday 1/3 way through the World Cup race season. They have missed at least 3 Downhill, 3 Super G, 4 GS & 4 Slalom races for both men & women. They only show a small amount of racing and they will probably finish before the World Cup finals in March before the winners of the crystal globes have been decided.
Good job we have Eurosport!

Hmm, Eurosports coverage this weekend I have found very frustrating. Programmes have not started on time, finished early or not appeared at all.
I'm getting increasingly annoyed with Eurosport, it's a good job you dont have to pay for it.

Is it possible to receive Austrian or German channels via the Sky Digital?
snow conditions
Really, really enjoying it.
(Queen Bodecia is Shaun White and I claim my £5. What a stunning head of hair.)
ski holidays
Nevica Jacket !!!!!
snow report
I didn't realise the time until it was finished, but I've pressed RED and there is some ski racing to be watched Very Happy
snow conditions
elgrego, if you have a sky dish, just get a satellite receiver box and swap / share the signal with the sky box and you should be able to get european channels on the Astra/ eurobird satellites...
snow conditions
That slalom course gets damn steep at around 1:30 just over that ridge. Shocked
ski holidays
michaelminhatkinson, how does that work then? I'd like to get some French channels
ski holidays
All I know is that my friend in Cambridge bought a satellite receiver box from Maplins and hooked it up and now received loads of channels... So my dad wanted more channels, even though he had sky in Luxembourg, so I bought the same box and hey presto, now loads of channels. A search for the astra and eurobird satellites shows what channels are available and which are free/ encoded/paid for...
snow report
michaelminhatkinson, Ta, will check it out
snow conditions
michaelminhatkinson, Red Hot Dutch it is then. Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
daehwons wrote:
Nevica Jacket !!!!!

ha ha, i spotted that. im going to mayrhofen with a mate next week and we both have nevica jackets from the 90`s. we were planning on taking them and having a retro day. Shocked . we could be the coolest dudes on the piste now. Laughing
snow report
elgrego, When I was based in Bristol I used to have a double LNB - one aimed at the Sky Astra channel and the other aimed at Hotbird. That gave me all the German, French and Austrian channels I needed. It may be that the Austrian channels are now encrypted - there was a big bust up between ORF1 & 2 and the German commercial stations a while back and since then we can no longer receive the normal Austrian broadcasts. My flat looks out over the Austrian border by the way but to watch their TV I would have to have one of their decoder cards. Only issued to addresses in Austria on payment of the license fee Sad

I watched the racing and found that, as usual, very interesting, even if it was way over 24 hours old and I knew the results. I missed any mention of the Ladies races and did switch over as soon as they stopped showing the racing. Something is missing from the formula they are working to - no idea what though. Graham Bell is a personable and knowledgeable presenter and Ed Leigh has an infectious enthusiasm, but that magic something extra seems to be missing. Maybe they are trying to put too much into a too short a slot? I'll keep it on the planner though and see how it develops.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 9-01-11 22:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'll repeat my rant of last year

How did GB know that Richard, Fanara and jansrud would all be in the top 6 "beforehand" ...???
Seriously you knew who was going to win as soon as they "introduced" those 3.
They shoudl just do eth race, and then do a biopic on any non-"famous" racers that do well afterwards
ski holidays
Hurtle, since I don't know either of my birth parents, it's almost feasible he is my long lost little brother!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tim000 wrote:
daehwons wrote:
Nevica Jacket !!!!!

ha ha, i spotted that. im going to mayrhofen with a mate next week and we both have nevica jackets from the 90`s. we were planning on taking them and having a retro day. Shocked . we could be the coolest dudes on the piste now. Laughing

I saw one of those multi coloured Nevica jackets in a charity shop the other day... wishing I'd bought it now, I reckon with a bit of re-proofing it would have been fine and very dandy Smile
ski holidays
I was really disappoinnted with SS last night, couldnt even get a new intro, and same old format. Thought the Chinese stuff was reasonably interesting but there again whats the relevance to us here in UK of Shaun White posing around Beijing getting paid mega-bucks by Red Bull etc?

I'd much rather see a down-and-dirty info on the top 10 European resorts, do's/ donts, must do runs, craic with the bar owners etc than 1/2 an hour of what I've already seen on Eurosport ,and Nevica posing shots of Graeme Bells newly dyed hairstyle, and the other guys flat-cap!!

Plus how about some cat skiing from BC, Valdez, powder skiing from Fernie and Hokkaido etc............or have they blown the budget in China already?

Not pressed series-link button, get it sorted BBC is my message if your reading this Graeme. Shocked
snow report
Agree, Markymark29, several of us have been saying this for years. There's so much scope for a snowsport/mountain magazine type programme, it's begging for some enterprising producer to approach the major resorts and TOs and see how much they'd contribute to getting it made.
snow report
Hmm missed it. Was on a road trip back from Zillertal.

Never liked it with just 3 mins of abbreviated highlights though... thank god for German telly and Eurosport (as well as $ky and all the free UK channels). Pity that almost all the digital German telly is encrypted, so have to watch ye olde worlde analogue eurosport (although ARD/ZDF HD is free on cable).

Only races I really care about are Lauberhorn (next weekend?) and Hahnenkahm.
snow report
andy wrote:
Only races I really care about are Lauberhorn (next weekend?) and Hahnenkahm.

Yep, Wengen DH is "live on the red button" at 11:30GMT on Saturday next on BBC with highlights on the Sunday. Kitz is the following week, presumably with similar coverage.
snow report
Quote:

so much scope for a snowsport/mountain magazine type programme

I did like the 'Top Gear' /magazine style of Ski Sunday. The "traditional" format of lots of downhill etc no doubt attracts big audiences, but it bears as much relationship to my skiing experience as the British Grand Prix does to my daily commute.

I do wonder though if we ski/board fans are too small a constituency to justify a whole programme, especially on the BBC, which is publicly funded and still one of the most left-wing organisations this side of the Politburo. (IMO Very Happy ) The fact that it was tried, and not repeated, tends to suggest this.
snow conditions
It is on the I player if anyone missed it. I have to agree, it is not a great program. Much preferred high altitude. I can watch racing on eurosport.
Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
sanman wrote:
I do wonder though if we ski/board fans are too small a constituency to justify a whole programme

I wondered this... but right now there seems to be back to back darts on BBC2. Even people who play darts can't find it that interesting to watch (can they?), whereas Ski Sunday appeals to skiers, boarders and armchair travellers alike. Maybe? I just can't believe the level of skiing coverage is due to lack of interest. Maybe it costs a lot to produce? Do the FIS demand lots of money for race coverage perhaps? I doubt it.
latest report
I don't get Eurosport or Sky so was glad to have a bit of it on sunday. Only tuned in to the race highlights, which only served to whet the appetite Toofy Grin Looks nice and steep that final stretch to the finish gate Laughing

Forgot about red button coverage thanks for the heads up sah, Very Happy
ski holidays
I assume race coverage is 'bought in', ie the BBC don't have to send a whole team of cameras etc, just a commentator or two.

Whereas "new programming" is more costly; and also, cannot really be sold to anyone else, unlike dramas etc. Can't see any other countries being interested in watching a C-list celeb learning to ski!

I'm sure there's someone in the TV industry on here who will put us right?
snow report
sah, Darts, like snooker is about as cheap as programme making gets, hence so much of it.

Missed last night's show so will watch it on iPlayer.

I'm just glad we get something. Last year GB posted on here that we may not get any Ski Sunday thanks to some new BBC2 Controller.
snow conditions
Just watched it. I really liked it. GS isn't really my thing but it was good and the China report was good too. It was hardly just about China as it was a big snowboard event and worthy of airtime because of where it was. It got less than 25% of the programme so you can hardly say it's a Red Bull advert, without saying the racing was an Audi advert. Without sponsorship, no events would take place, in any discipline, or even in any sport, at top level.

The programme is certainly not Top Gear and I hope the diversity and enthusiasm continues.

Perhaps you need to ski and board to be able to take the blinkers off and appreciate a programme that is about everything that happens on snow.

I liked it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy