Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve snow conditions...

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman, I hadn't thought of that - I have a non-skiing friend coming over for whom I'm planning a birthday lunch and was thinking I might have to make her put some snowshoes on! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
miranda, at least that would help her to work up an appetite!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, in all honesty, as I'll be paying, I don't want her to have an appetite - I hope she's on a lettuce and water diet wink (unfortunately she's one of those blessed ones that can eat a 5-course meal and still fit into the skinny jeans rolling eyes )

Whilst we have no idea what the capricious mountain weather will do, things have definitely changed in the short term in this small part of the alps, which bodes well for your return from the UK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
miranda, snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Lou, just to allay any worries, the majority of first-time guests who are in La Giettaz for a week look at the map in advance and always assume they'll spend most of their time skiing on the other side. They then get here and spend at least half of their time skiing this side - it's why we recommend getting day passes when you get here and taking it as it comes rather than booking the full Evasion Mont Blanc passes in advance - there are never any queues at the kiosk (in fact you'll have the pistes almost entirely to yourselves as you'll miss the school holidays) and the day passes for the 100 or so km on this side are €23 when bought in person at the kiosk in La Giettaz so it's worth doing it that way.

We've had two sets of guests in your position this season, meeting with friends that are staying on the other side, who have been amazed at what a difference the quiet nature and north-facing aspect of the slopes in La Giettaz make during this dodgy season so, as said above, I don't think they should worry that it wouldn't be worth their while to come over for a day.

Lou, I would agree with this. We had a lovely weekend at La Giettaz (thanks miranda, sorry for not being in touch to say so - was lovely to meet you!) a few weeks ago and have skied in Combloux and Megeve/St Gervais before.

I also recommend the Auberge de Bonjournal (we didn't try the Auberge de Christomet, will make sure to do so next time!) and especially the "beignets de tomme fraiche" which were a plat du jour one day there. It is pretty reasonably priced for a mountain restaurant there but I'd also recommend the Chalet des Bachais (at the top of the Plaine Joux lift on the Combloux side) which was even cheaper and also good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NatalieG, mmmm sounds delic Very Happy Thanks for advice
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from a fantastic 4 nights in La Giettaz. We stayed with Miranda & Chris at Chalet La Giettaz- apartment lovely and well equipped. Made to feel very welcome and wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Two days out ~ Megeve (via Rochebrune) and Les Saisies. Two days 'at home' in La Giettaz (snow holding up very well there considering) on beautifully quiet pistes, more than two other skiers on the piste and I felt niggled Toofy Grin

Runs down to Combloux suffering badly in several places. Made it down to Auberge de Christomet laundryman for a choc chaud one morning (very interesting and museum like toilets Madeye-Smiley )and then ate a couple of times at Auberge de Bonjournal.

Will be back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lou, chances are, I saw you on the webcams - I'm off on Saturday. Looks like Rochebrune is not too bad, and I imagine Côte 2000 is holding up well. I think it's odd that the tourist office don't have webcams there, because it always does best during dodgy conditions.

Yes, the toilets are famous! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, Some races are still scheduled for Fri/Sat/Sun so Côte 2000 should be ok on the areas with artificial snow. Currently +12 in town even though it isn't sunny.

Rochebrune looks rather brown.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lou, thank you for your kind words - it was lovely to meet you and your friends. A shame you didn't get to see the Evasion Mont Blanc or Espace Diamant regions at their best... but next year hopefully!

laundryman, be grateful the tourist board are keeping it quiet for you wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, hopefully there isn't a webcam at the top of the long poma in Megeve ?Lanchettes. Hurty ankle and long drag, wasn't concentrating or listening out for whoops from people dismounting in front, got to the point where I let go of poma and realised there was no way on earth that I could make the necessary very tight right turn to avoid lots of those warning black & yellow poles dead ahead. Sped through them grabbing one like a javelin (didn't intend to, blaming survival instinct) and stopped just short of some sort of some electrical set up. Luckily whole lift system didn't crash. hugely entertaining for those groups waiting for loved ones at the top including my lovely nephew who has captured the event on camera.
I then had to turn around and replace said pole so there was no scuttling off straight away Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lou, that's a killer drag. I once went up it in heavy wet snow and for some reason I couldn't keep the button from sinking to the level of my knees. I thought I was about to fall off for at least 50% of the ride, but somehow made it. There was a recent wet snow avalanche covering the track towards Côte 2000 from the top, which I skied straight into in a near whiteout. Funny how one remembers adversity better than anything!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite a lot closed, but what's left is in remarkably good condition. Snow making has really improved here in the last few years and the pistes are being managed superbly. Mainly on Rochebrune and Côte 2000 today. Skied until 3pm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, enjoy Very Happy Family who were in Megeve until last Tues pm reported good skiing on Mont Arbois?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, good to hear there is still some skiing in Megeve, we are off on April 9th for what I think is last week of season. Not sure how much of the area will still be open by then?
latest report
Lou, on Mt d'Arbois today. The Bettex was good to the bottom, especially the race track which was very well prepared. But why didn't they 'piste' the drag track? - we were slaloming mud! The Mt Joux race track was good too. Did some off piste bumps off La Croix - they were surprisingly hard. The lower part of the corresponding piste was cut up and soft after lunch - but I actually quite like skiing through that.

Saw some chamois grazing on the Mandarin today!
snow conditions
Quote:

Saw some chamois grazing on the Mandarin today!

snowHead
latest report
Healthy eaters, are they?
latest report
laundryman, Going to return to La Giettaz for our 2012 'girls' weekend Very Happy Hope to have more of a base and forewarned is forearmed with regard to THATpoma Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Going to return to La Giettaz for our 2012 'girls' weekend

Lou, maybe we'll see you again to see some more of the skiing over here? I could show you some fierce drags in the Arly Valley too. wink
latest report
pam w, that would be great, about the skiing I mean Toofy Grin Long drags are one thing. Very long drags with an unexpected tight right hand turn on exit are another Toofy Grin
snow report
This is the top of the Seigneur drag in Praz sur Arly. It's straight but super steep. And if you fall off lower down the escape route is to walk through some thick forest then down a bumpy black run to have another go. wink

We generally try to avoid it. Because the "si vous tombez" signs pointing through the forest are unnerving even for competent drag lift riders.
snow report
Quite warm today. Did a lot of short-radius stuff on Michel Dujon early on then over to St Nicholas. Surprised to get all the way there; I think there are extra snow cannons this year; the runs were mainly in good condition. Then up to Grand Choucas for more steeps. North facing, and snow good. Back to Le Rosay for lunch then then three runs on Etudiants - again North facing and no complaints about the snow. Finished early with a couple of runs down Mont Joux and bubble back down from the Igloo (as was). The area around there was good for water skiing only by that time.
ski holidays
Côte 2000 today. V warm. Conditions pretty good all day (off-piste a bit hard early on, the few flattish sections softish by early afternoon. Mainly on downhill course am, and mainly going hell for leather. Off-piste and Marmotte this afternoon. Omelette on the terrace of the Radaz for lunch.

Les Contamines tomorrow.
snow report
Very warm again. Les Contamines was in pretty good condition, considering. Mainly off-piste today. Morning underneath the Auguille de Roselette, down towards Hauteleuce. Did a bit of walking from the Bûche lift to gain some height and avoid some bare bits. Might go touring one day wink. Conditions varied, but quite sweet mostly, at around 10.30-11.00.

Picnic lunch (first time in ages!) and then off-piste in the bowl to the right of the Aiguille Croche lift. Variable snow - good fun. Managed to ski down to the bubble mid-station; choppy most of the way. By all accounts it was a good call to go to Les Contamines today. Our GS race here on Les Etudiants tomorrow has been cancelled by the the ESI. Shame - the course was in great condition a couple of days ago. Sad
snow report
laundryman, Mmm. I think we might go to Les Contamines one of these days.
snow conditions
laundryman, pam w, we went to Les Contamines today - worth getting there, as everywhere at the moment, as the lifts open - and had a really good day. Afraid I don't know the names of all the lifts etc that we used but few people around so no waiting anywhere. It did get soft later on but if I have a good morning am quite happy to knock it on the head early afternoon.
latest report
Quote:

if I have a good morning am quite happy to knock it on the head early afternoon.

Because I was skiing with a visitor I was out till 3 pm today, and I must admit I wasn't sorry to stop. The last run we did he had a yard sale style fall - hat, skis, everywhere and fortunately I was behind him and able to gather it all up. He was quite unhurt, but then ready to call it a day. The lifts are open till 4.50pm but you'd have to be a masochist to carry on till then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou-- just been reading about your adventure on the Lanchette drag lift! Shocked I remember that one-- one of my friends had a hairy experience falling off it mid-way-- It is notorious!
laundryman, interesting to read your snow reports-- but I am now worried about the snow conditions-- it must have been warm all this week there as it has been here in UK...
and we only arrive in Megeve next weekend Sad
so I doubt if we can get much mileage in on the pistes.. Puzzled
latest report
Julieanne, Laughing actually the drag itself was fine, but long, (not as steep as another nearby, which stopped twice while my friends were at the very steep bit Laughing ), just the very end/arrival - be prepared!

I hope you have a lovely time and fingers crossed snow holds. We don't go to Les Arcs until 8th Shocked
latest report
Lou, seems I am destined to ski on spring snow yet again....but fingers crossed there is some left to ski on! (Sadly have had to spend the best part of the season, since January, dealing with builders in my flat-- and in December had a sprained ankle!) rolling eyes

But it sounds like you have had some good ski weeks! Glad you've discovered Megeve-- we love it there! Even when the snow departs, I go on long walks! Madeye-Smiley and keep out of the pretty shops... wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

if I have a good morning am quite happy to knock it on the head early afternoon.

Because I was skiing with a visitor I was out till 3 pm today, and I must admit I wasn't sorry to stop. The last run we did he had a yard sale style fall - hat, skis, everywhere and fortunately I was behind him and able to gather it all up. He was quite unhurt, but then ready to call it a day. The lifts are open till 4.50pm but you'd have to be a masochist to carry on till then.

pam w there is good advice in your tale tale for me-- a moral, so to speak-- as I tend to be a late riser, potter around having breakfast and start skiing late morning. ... But on spring snow, that is not the best schedule to keep to. rolling eyes
snow conditions
For years (since I became sensible!!) I have not done "just the last run", and just pottered back when i feel I've had enough. Having said that I did keep going late the day we had the powder in La Plagne!!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 25-03-11 14:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
welshskier, I learned about that many years ago too. If the piste has become sludgy and you're tired... I have seen the most bad falls happen on "just the last run"... I've become sensible too, and take the gondola down in such conditions..though it's so tempting to ski to the village.
ski holidays
Les Contamines again today. Started off down Jonction then up Roselette and down Bûche to the bottom; where it was crappy. Then skied most stuff on the Hauteluce side until lunch; on piste conditions were good there. Didn't get right to the bottom though. The afternoon was mainly off piste from the top of the Aiguille Croche. I wish that snowscreamer were not quite so insouciant standing on the knife edge with a 60º drop down to Côte 2000 Shocked Conditions were great in the high-up off piste up to 3pm. Came down via Tierces, which was good for the top two-thirds and choppy for the rest. Up the short chair to Signal, where there was a minor lake. The run down to the bubble mid-section was perfectly serviceable though - just soft and lumpy.

Heavy shower in Megève when we got back. Not good. Sad
ski holidays
laundryman, have you or any of yours ever launched down from the Veleray side of Les Contamines down towards megeve? Not the sort of thing I'd ever do myself, even with good cover, as I am a piste sort of person, but would be interested to know whether it was possible.
ski holidays
One of my friends tells me it's easily done on a MTB in the summer. I take his word for it.
latest report
pam w, no but I know a few who have. I also know someone who went from Mt Joly over to Contamines (the easier direction, I would say) but who picked the wrong gully and needed rescuing - without injury, fortunately.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy