Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve snow conditions...

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know what these are like?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have looked at snow forecast and it does not look good,looks like loads of rain and high temps are going to ruin what is there. My wife is going on the 20th and not sure if I want to tell her. The have good canons, but 8 degrees is to warm!!

How easy is it to get up high?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tommy4681, didn't you say in a previous thread you were going there in February? That's some way off... even for your wife lightningdan it's too soon to say what things will be like a fortnight away I'd have thought...

Piste openings and webcams for the Evasion Mont Blanc domain http://www.evasionmontblanc.com/ouverture.php
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thought I should join this thread as I'm takng my son to Comblux on 14 Feb for a short break.

miranda, - hope you'll be able to drop the odd note here about all that fresh powder and those lovely blue skies that I'm expecting.

CW wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Miranda,

Thanks for the advice, just following the weather thread and it does not look great. I wanted her to have a good trip, as we were in Reberty before Christmas and she was not keen on the minus 20 it was some days.!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Impressive memory, miranda. We're off there second week of Feb. Just wondering how things were looking as I'd seen quite a bit of rain forecast on snow-forecast.... Fingers-crossed for a whole load of the white stuff between now and then.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
miranda, is absolutely right; it's far too soon to hazard a guess as to what conditions will be like in February. I don't think the weather in the next few days is going to "ruin what is there". Precipitation in next few days looks like being a bit less than forecast earlier (just as well, as it will be rain). We were skiing yesterday in next-door Praz sur Arly which had good snow right down to the main road. I don't generally ski Megeve (not on our lift pass) but I think they have a reputation for looking after their pistes very well. I'd be fairly optimistic - especially if your wife is a piste, rather than off-piste, skier.

Combloux might be a bit dodgy (wrong side of the valley) but there are a number of options within easy reach which hold their snow better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, still too early to say what conditions will be like with any confidence 10 days away, but... La Giettaz has complete cover and no slush or grass. Runs on the Combloux-Jaillet side are a little more dodgy because they are south facing but last night's snowfall did them a great favour. The last few days, we had some buses of people from the other side of Megeve coming over to La Giettaz due to "puddles and grass". There weren't any visitors today, suggesting Megeve has recovered (but I didn't go over to that side to verify that in person).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Friends who drove up here from the motorway last night said that it was looking very dreary in Megeve (but of course that was down on the road, not up on the hill, where the rain falling on the main road was no doubt snow).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, Anyone got an update on Megeve / st Gervais, was there 8th jan and was in need of show, back in two weeks and wondering if much since then.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

wondering if much since then

Short answer is "no". A couple of minor falls only. The weather forecast thread will give you a good feel for the uncertainties of the rest of the month. It might snow a bit, but doesn't look likely to snow much during the res of the month.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mmmm, under two weeks till we arrive and snow forecast is showing nada up to 31 Jan and freezing levels above the bottom lift. Not looking good. I'm feeling a few days trips to Chamonix coming on....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tommy4681, the Combloux/ Le Jaillet (?sp) side was looking extremely bare last week, but I'd be surprised if some of the Megeve area isn't as good as much of Chamonix. If you fancy a trip out my personal recommendation would be for Les Contamines. Recent report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72732&highlight=grand+massif
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually the pistes on the Combloux/Jaillet side are in good shape (which I completely wasn't expecting at all). There's been a fair amount of snowmaking going on and barely anyone skiing on them.

Jaillet (a fairly small section) suffers the most because of its aspect and there are some runs there that will not open until a proper dump. But there's only one piste closed in Combloux.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
miranda, that's very good news, excellent. snowHead Last time I saw them it was still too warm for snowmaking.
latest report
miranda, excellent indeed! How is La Giettaz?
ski holidays
pam w, NatalieG yes, it was a pleasant surprise - that Jaillet strip really does get the full force of the sun and the bits you can see when you drive past are definitely the worst. I think 6 or 7 out of about 20 closed but the ones that are open really are fine. Virtually everything open in Combloux and La Giettaz and as all 3 are part of one linked sector, there's still plenty of skiing.

Obviously still a while to go til the 5th Feb but I will report back nearer the time (am hoping to ski the other side of Megeve at some point this week too).
ski holidays
miranda, sounds wonderful. To be honest, I'm so looking forward to the break that for once I haven't been stressing about the snow at all (more worried about being able to do up my salopettes!) but of course it's lovely to hear good snow news! Very Happy
snow conditions
NatalieG wrote:
miranda, sounds wonderful. To be honest, I'm so looking forward to the break that for once I haven't been stressing about the snow at all (more worried about being able to do up my salopettes!) but of course it's lovely to hear good snow news! Very Happy

Me too Embarassed 6 weeks on Friday Shocked
ski holidays
I was in nearby Les Contamines for the day yesterday (covered by the Evasion Mont Blanc skipass for those staying in Megeve). Conditions were surprisingly good on piste, given that there has been no fresh snow for 3 weeks, with very few icy patches and a good layer of the softer stuff on most runs. It was only towards the end of the day that a few slippery patches appeared as snow was scraped off the hard base. Most runs were open, only a couple of blacks were closed.

Les Contamines apparently keeps its snow well and tends to have a late season, due to its proximity to Mont Blanc.

It was a beautiful, if a bit chilly, day, and it really wasn't too busy for a Sunday, the longest queue being about 2 minutes, and not even a queue at the cash desk. It was only the last run of the day where it got a bit chaotic as everyone headed back down to the resort.
latest report
was plenty of snowmaking in both megeve and St Gervais last week, though certain areas looked well scraped/bare due to aspect. Should imagine snow is still good over in Cote 2000 and the northen side of Rocherbrun (sp?) etc...
snow report
Whitters, that sounds good - Les Contamines often has the best snow for miles around. Going to be much warmer this coming week - so might head over for a day before too long.
latest report
11 days and counting, any sign of snow in the weather forecasts?
ski holidays
Just back from a week in La Giettaz. A fantastic weeks skiing. Yes the off piste is non existent BUT plenty of snow on all the slopes bar the ones down into Jaillet. A good dump of snow last Tuesday helped massively. Have to say if this is the worst snow in a generation then it bodes well because in my limited experienced the snow was great. This is contrary to some posts on here who seem to revel in telling people just how crap everything is....
ski holidays
smythandy, welcome to snowHead !

An encouraging report for me - going out on the 19th - thanks!
ski holidays
smythandy, wot laundryman says except I'm going on the 11th Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Was in Combloux with my son last week and, while they were in severe need of a big dump of snow, almost everything seemed open right over to La Giettaz. Mind you, open doesn't necessarily mean good... Tuesday's snowfall helped greatly, but low down conditions were still what could be generously described as spring-like and patchy. On the higher slopes, thinngs were, as smythandy says, just great.
What is really needed is a bit of cold weather so that what has fallen (and is hopefully still falling) will last, especially as things are about to get horrendously busy with English Half Term upon us & the French school holidays now in full swing.
CW:-)
snow report

Caught this on my webcam catch up just now Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou, that's actually a stunning picture for a webcam!
ski holidays
laundryman, I did a double take when I saw it. I'm actually quite pleased that I managed to save it myself too Little Angel Haven't been to Combloux yet.............La Giettaz 15 sleeps Very Happy
ski holidays
Lou, I rarely go right to the bottom at Combloux. There are nice cruisy runs down that way though. I hope there's still plenty of terrain open on Jaillet and Christomet from 19th (and for you earlier, of course!).
snow report
laundryman, are you going to Megeve? It's a new area for me, going with three friends. I will have family going to Megeve the same weekend as us so hoping they will be able to come up our way for a rendezvous. On the map it looks like most of the skiing is the other side of Megeve Confused
latest report
Lou, that's true, but the Combloux/Jaillet/Christomet/Giettaz area is quite easily accessed from Megève town and provides easily enough territory for a worthwhile day.

I would suggest a rendezvous at the Auberge de Christomet restaurant (in the valley between the Christomet and Jaillet hills). My favourite mountain restaurant anywhere (a little pricey though)! snowHead
snow report
Lou, just to allay any worries, the majority of first-time guests who are in La Giettaz for a week look at the map in advance and always assume they'll spend most of their time skiing on the other side. They then get here and spend at least half of their time skiing this side - it's why we recommend getting day passes when you get here and taking it as it comes rather than booking the full Evasion Mont Blanc passes in advance - there are never any queues at the kiosk (in fact you'll have the pistes almost entirely to yourselves as you'll miss the school holidays) and the day passes for the 100 or so km on this side are €23 when bought in person at the kiosk in La Giettaz so it's worth doing it that way.

We've had two sets of guests in your position this season, meeting with friends that are staying on the other side, who have been amazed at what a difference the quiet nature and north-facing aspect of the slopes in La Giettaz make during this dodgy season so, as said above, I don't think they should worry that it wouldn't be worth their while to come over for a day. Unfortunately the lowest slopes on the Megeve side are closed and unless an unexpected mega-dump comes will stay that way, but the Jaillet bubble will take people back down to Megeve from the top.

As for the rendez-vous, the Auberge de Christomet is great if your family are paying, and I'd suggest the lovely Auberge de Bonjournal if you're paying wink

Great conditions here today after last night's snowfall (a nice surprise as it was much better than chamonix-meteo had forecast) snowHead
snow conditions
Lou, I remember that Annie, who did a season in St Gervais, reckoned that the La Giettaz sector was her favourite part of the whole Evasion Mont Blanc area. We plan to get over there one day during the second half of the season - looking forward to it. snowHead
ski holidays
laundryman, miranda, thanks both. I think they will be happy to come our way, in fact I have already hinted that they could do so (as I have tried to help with their arrangements wink ) What is the restaurant like at the tope of Jaillet bubble? My non-skiing sister could perhaps come up.
snow report
Lou, I've never tried it. It's possible to get a taxi from Megève to the Auberge de Christomet (it's not all that far, so not a huge price). I can't recommend it highly enough! wink
latest report
laundryman, ok I have a piste map in front of me, is it one of the two marked on the Chevreuil blue ?

Actually maybe not as I can't see a road near there...... it's hard to get bearings!
snow report
Lou, yes it is, the one at the bottom, nearest the bottom of the chairlifts. Honestly, there is a road (it ends at that point, I think), which I'm pretty sure they keep open all winter, and would certainly be open under current conditions.
snow conditions
laundryman, great thanks Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy