Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thieving Bar-Stewards

Poster: A snowHead
m00958, So you're not actually sure were you lost them?

Last week one of the guys in our chalet lost his wallet. Was handed in minutes later complete with all cash and cards at the lift office.
I saw a guy infront of me drop a ski pole as he got on a chair. Lifty passed it to me to take up. Just as I put the bar up I saw the guy skiing back down so left it by the top of the lift, sure the lifty would send him back up. I told the story at dinner that night and it turned out to have been the guy sat opposite me!... and yes he did get it back.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is interesting that I wouldn't dream of leaving my 600 quid mountain bike outside a pub unlocked... ski's of a similar value are left unattended in most resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DAVE 2227, The cable lock you have shown may well be a deterant or stop 'accidental borrowing' they will be no real protection to a determined thief. A simple pair of pliers or snips would deal with that cable.
Megamum purchased some more substantial cable locks that we use with our skis. If our skis are not 1) in use 2) in the locked ski cabinet they are locked. One snowhead had skis stolen from a balcony in VT a few years ago, which makes me think if they are on display, they are at risk! About 5 years ago I started skiing after a long layoff. In the one week I was away 3 people staying in the same hotel in Courchevel had skis taken. 2 new sets of skis and the third were hire skis. They had all been outside restaurants\bars and left unlocked!
I would:-
Buy a substantial cable lock and use it.
Bundle more than one set together and cable tie them, poles within the bundle.
Never leave unlocked skis or poles unattended.
Never apres ski and leave skis outside a bar, even locked.

Unless, that is, you can afford to loose them! Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never had poles or ski's taken, but usually hire ski's these days. Our poles however are leikl hot sticks (the handles unscrew and you fill the poles up with a suitable drink (usually port in 1 and brandy in the other) so am considering either taking poles into restaurants or locking them up somehow. One problem I see with locking things up is that while it may deter the opportunist thief a lock may attract the attention of the more organised groups looking for the higher end or expensive kit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BMF_Skier wrote:
DAVE 2227,

So your advice to anyone going skiing this season is "don't do apres"? I have my own (expensive) skis, and I lock them when I deem it necessary, but even I would consider such a measure as somewhat draconian.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski theft seems to be a problem in A u s t r i a
http://austrianindependent.com/news/General_News/2010-12-29/5808/Police_up_ski_theft_focus
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John wrote:
BMF_Skier wrote:
DAVE 2227,

So your advice to anyone going skiing this season is "don't do apres"? I have my own (expensive) skis, and I lock them when I deem it necessary, but even I would consider such a measure as somewhat draconian.

I think the analogy with a mountain bike is good. Would you leave a £600 mtb outside a pub in London, unlocked? If you locked it up, would you use a lock with a 1mm cable and a flimsy plastic case?

If the apres bars are far from my hotel, I try to use ski lockers for overnight storage. Otherwise, I'll take them back to the hotel and then go out for the apres.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i hope this isn't a regular problem in Andorra we are off there this weekend......... Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker, +1 wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cbowls30, If you are staying in Pas de la Casa there are ski and boot lockers at the foot of the slopes (I used the one near to and run by Paddy's Bar).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cbowls30, +1 Off to Arinsal in Feb. Went last year had no probs. Somebody else did though, I saw first hand just how silly people can be. In the lift cue with one of our school group after lunch and she was wondering why it was so difficult to clip in, then she wondered why they had changed colour, then she wonder why some random psycho was running towards her throwing snow and insults( in Spanish).
Only one real conclusion......
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adithorp, we knew when she was wearing them last, and everywhere we'd been since. We figured that the most likely location was where I had gone to the toilet and she had taken off the helmet. My wife tells me that when my daughter took her helmet off the goggles came off, she reattached them, and then put the helmet down. I then emerged and we departed for some lunch. It was at the end of lunch we realised they were missing. We assume that at the point of reattachment she didn't hook the band in the back properly and they fell off again straight away without us realising.

As I said before, annoying, but small potatoes compared to some of the stuff that has happened to others. I've been keeping my eyes open for any kids wearing them as they are very distinctive. I'd have to find myself an American scientist to beat them up though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DAVE 2227 wrote:
Is it worth locking them with one of those cable locks ?
Like this....

or would say leaving one ski at a different place from the other deter the casual thief ?
Shall be taking my own skis and poles this year so are there any other deterrents I should consider not mentioned already.

i use something similiar, however to be honest i view them as more a deterant than anything else.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use a slightly larger, more robust version that still wouldn't prevent determined thieves, targeting skis, but would probably put off opportunists/mistaken identity culprits/victims of ski theft-looking-for-replacement-skis. Also comes in handy for locking up the gear when in hotels with communal ski/boot rooms.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Someone going out to steal boards or skis will have a pair of these in their pocket.

The little €10 cable lock may stop someone picking up the wrong equipment by mistake, but it won't stop a thief for more than 1 or 2 seconds.
latest report
DAVE 2227, There is a huge difference of opinion at to whether lightweight locks like that one deter the 'pick 'em up on the way past and walk off with 'em' thieves. I tend to think they would although they won't dissuade those that arrive with a pair of lightweight wire cutters about their person. Lots on SH's swear by splitting their skis for the same purpose. Some of us have found and purchased heavier duty locks (Me! amongst others). If you are interested the forum seach facility should prove useful as the subject has received lots of interest in the past.
snow report
Fear and loathing at 2500m.
snow conditions
When I had my sksi stolen it was with one of the more heavy duty ski locks - cable was near 1cm thick. Didn't help. Now I use a thinner one as it was cheaper, I hope it's a deterrant but I doubt it would hold someone up for very long!
latest report
Dr John wrote:
BMF_Skier wrote:
DAVE 2227,

Dr John, Anyone who is daft enough to leave expensive skis outside a bar deserves anything that happens!
latest report
clarky999, quite. If someone set's out to steal skis, then they will be prepared to tackle locks of all size and weight. I use a lightweight lock to deter the opportunist thief, but I'm not going to live in fear of a well organised thief or gang of thieves, that's what credit cards and insurance are for.

BMF_Skier, have car thefts stopped since the introduction of sophisticated alarm systems? Nope. Do people still drive (and park) cars? Yes.

A friend of mine recently had his new BMW stolen from outside the restaurant we were eating at. All the most fancy security systems were installed and activated. The car still got stolen. Are you saying he was daft to drive his own car and park it on the street?

It's called acceptable level of risk. It's exactly the same principle as we all apply when we go skiing i.e. we make our own judgment as to what we perceive our individual acceptable level of risk is. You say anyone daft enough to leave skis outside deserved all they get. That is, I imagine, very similar to what our colleagues would say if we limped into work with a broken leg sustained whilst skiing. We would consider it an acceptable risk, non-skiers wouldn't.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 6-01-11 18:35; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Dr John, good point well made.
snow conditions
Megamum,
Quote:

purchased heavier duty locks

Like this? Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, That's like what I use.

It's quite right that you won't stop a gang with bolt droppers but they are more likely to nick the unlocked ones, even if they really want your £1000 racing blades. It's also worth remembering that your insurance company will be unlikely to pay out if you haven't locked your skis/board. Keep the cut lock if you are unlucky and they still get stolen.
latest report
Dont see why people who leave their skis outside restaurants "deserve anything that happens" Evil or Very Mad is that the same as women walking alone at night deserve to be raped and murdered?

I've always rented skis and paid extra insurance so have not had to worry about ski theft till now (got some skis a couple of months ago). I'd be quite happy to lock them up but often there's nowhere to lock them up to (the stands are regularly full) and also it will be a pain to carry a sufficient enough lock - I dont do backpacks. I will get a lightweight lock that's probably as much use as a chocolate fireguard but at least it's somewhat of a deterrent.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Dr John wrote:
BMF_Skier wrote:
DAVE 2227,

I think the analogy with a mountain bike is good. Would you leave a £600 mtb outside a pub in London, unlocked? If you locked it up, would you use a lock with a 1mm cable and a flimsy plastic case?

If the apres bars are far from my hotel, I try to use ski lockers for overnight storage. Otherwise, I'll take them back to the hotel and then go out for the apres.

I hadn't hought about it.

We regularly leave mountainbikes worth a fortune (£6K) outside pubs while replacing essential fluids and carbo loading. We just pile 'em together.

Never had a problem yet.

But - that's up in't hills, a bit like skiing I suppose.
snow conditions
bar shaker & ricfrench ;
we're stayin in Soldeu, only two of us so unless we always sit outside staring out our ski's when we have lunch up the mountain there is bound to be times when we leave our skis/poles..... never even given this a thought before, but to be honest we have only every gone to small italian resorts......
snow conditions
I wonder if any of the ski insurance guys on here could give us a clue about how many genuine claims for ski theft they deal with a year?
PM me if you wish and I'll post the answer Very Happy
I have a suspicion that ski theft is very rare even when averaged with the number of skiers.
latest report
If they are expensive skis or poles then I'd not let them out of my posession let alone out of sight, those cable locks are easier enough to cut. I find sandwiching you poles top and tail between your skis and then locking them is pretty effective as its a pain to undo and seperate again for me and I have the key/combo.

I often find it odd that people are just happy to leave expensive gear just lying around. Also ski resorts are pretty international and whereas handing lost items in might be the done thing in some places in others i'm sure theres less of an issue.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John, Some of your point are bordering on laughable! ie
Quote:

"not doing apres" or " have car thefts stopped since the introduction of sophisticated alarm systems? Nope. Do people still drive (and park) cars? "

There are acceptable levels of risk, i agree.
Insurance is there to cover such situations, I agree.
Leaving items unlocked and unattended was what I was referring to and that more like stupidity on the part of those that do it! The muppets in Courchevel didn't take reasonable care and lost their skis.
snow report
Just to add my two cents.... We had 3 snowboards and one pair of skis stolen from a 'secure' locked locker in MGM Les Alpage du Chantel (Les Arc 1800). They were stolen overnight and the locker was unlocked and relocked with a key once the thieving b@st@rds had done their work.

It looked likely that a member of staff allowed someone to have access the locker key or they did it themselves yet the hotel was not liable and nor was the tour operator (Crystal Ski customer care leaves a lot to be desired by the way).... Obviously I was rather miffed but most of the cost was covered by our insurance.

I just thought I would mention this so people don't think their precious stuff is safe just because it's in the hotel locker. I would have said using an advertised 'secure locker' was taking reasonable care but clearly not.

I have now purchased a big lock and etched all my stuff with my name and phone number. Maybe thieves will just look for an easier target.
latest report
I subscribe to the notion that if you can legitimately tell your insurers that you had locked your skis it could help any claim. Another thing I do to help prove immediate ownership is to sew school type name tags onto the loops of the ski poles (esp. for the kids) in a discrete location (it takes a bit longer to remove the vestiges of a well sewn on tag) even with a pair of scissors. I also neatly tape some coloured insulating or holographic wrapping sticky tape around the poles to look like part of decoration - again not quite so immediate to get rid of esp. as it might not spotted straight away by a thief if sympathetically added to the decoration of the pole. At home and in resort I also keep a copy of the ID numbers of the skis. Also, as previously suggested if you can sew the loops on your poles shut it give a few more moments 'bug***ration' to any would be thief as you can then include them in your locked bundle.

Lets face it if you can make a delaying action with any sort of lock I'm sure in a 'busy' area it would reduce theft as there must be many 'honest' skiers around. I'm sure if an honest skier outside a busy bar saw someone deploying wirecutters or fighting with any lock on a set of skis that didn't open straight away they might question the miscreant or in other ways raise the attention of those around the area. Such an action I expect would likely cause any would be thief to make a swift exit stage left.

I would imagine the skis at risk, no matter how they are locked are those on view in quieter areas. As written above, outside bars at night, maybe in out of the way restaurants that still have fairly easy public access, but don't get many clients where a thief has an undisturbed period of time to do the thieving.

Mind you that said I am happy to carry (in my pockets) and deploy my slightly more heavy duty cable locks than the pebble style ones.
snow conditions
orangekss, ye Gods!! I had never thought of locking them inside a locker, but if someone has gone to the trouble of raiding a locked room overnight with a key I would imagine that they would be organised enough to carry a pair of bolt cutters to defeat any lock, or would have the time and resources carry away a locked together bundle to split later. It certainly sounds like you had tough luck, IMHO you got unlucky, but I am amazed that you couldn't finger anyone as 'liable', I'm glad your insurance coughed up, but you still had loads of messing around as a result I bet.
latest report
Thanks Megamum, yeah it was a bit of nightmare! I too was suprised at the tour operator's standpoint... we even approached ABTA but they were useless. Apparently it is up to you to secure your property regardless that the hotel provides a 'secure' facility for ski storage. Crazy huh?

The only saving grace was that they stole everything on the last night (which is common apparently) so we still got to enjoy an awesome week skiing!
ski holidays
orangekss, was yours the only gear taken or did they clear out the locker room?
latest report
Just our locker so I guess they must have scoped it out sometime during the week.... Unfortunately for us, having hired equipment for many years, this was the first time we actually bought our own stuff. Two of the three boards and the skis were basically brand new so they did quite well for themselves..... Oh well, no use being too bitter about it, I guess these things happen....
latest report
twice I have left a backpack on a gondola in 2 different austrian resorts, in the pack were were 2 pairs of good goggles and more importantly an expensive camcorder. handed in each time with all goods still in the bag. i'm a bit of a disaster when it comes to leaving things behind. after a lunch break last year at the base station in hintertux i traveled i up in 3 different gondola and realised just before we arrived at the top that i didnt have my skis!! yeah I know, what a dope Shocked . the 10+ people in the gondola were in tears of laughter when my GOOD friend and ski BUDDY let them all know.
on a serious note again -10+ years sking in different austrian resorts with a group of 12 on average and never locking our skis we have never had anything stolen. reading here I reckon we have been pox lucky.
ski holidays
I stayed in Vent in austria in 2007. Its at the end of the Valley with 1 road in \ out. - A German ladies skies went missing but told the hotel they were stolen (I think they wanted to claim insurance on them) - Anyway.. they closed the road and were checking people snow equiptment as people left to ski at solden. - They found her skies in there car as her husband was driving out! Puzzled

Germans lol
latest report
orangekss wrote:
The only saving grace was that they stole everything on the last night (which is common apparently) so we still got to enjoy an awesome week skiing!

That's quite interesting. Could that suggest:

1) If there was an hotel worker involved, the resultant time shortage before transfer from the resort leaves minimal investigative/trouble causing opportunities
2) Other unscrupulous holiday-makers tend to make off with new gear on their departure
3) Victims of theft nick gear to replace their rentals, thus not paying out
4) Thieves in ski resorts have a sense of fair play
snow report
BMF_Skier wrote:
DAVE 2227,

BMF_Skier wrote:
Dr John
Leaving items unlocked and unattended was what I was referring to

Make up your mind
ski holidays
Dr John, Legal Eagle eyes! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy