Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thieving Bar-Stewards

Poster: A snowHead
Somehow the goggles came off my daughters ski helmet back in resort when my wife put it down for a minute. We realised fairly quickly (about 1 hour) and we retraced our steps to the point where we knew she was wearing them. That's right, they'd gone. What's wrong with some people?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't understand your surprise.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was surprised because I thought most skiing folk were decent sorts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
possibly handed in?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
m00958, sympathies; it's very annoying. My husband collected his skis/poles from outside the mountain restaurant where we'd stopped for lunch, to find that the poles weren't his, and one of the pair left in their place, was snapped in half Evil or Very Mad As they were hire skis, we had to pay the shop 20 euros. When it's something you would never do yourself, you do indeed wonder "what's wrong with some people". This was in Andorra BTW
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
out right uncool Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just got some fancy new poles. Not sure whether I'll be able to lock them securely to my skis: if not, they'll be coming into restaurants with me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, A few years ago a friend was sitting (she said a bit like a beached whale) in a deckchair in Tignes - her rather nice new poles were planted in the snow quite close when someone swooped down and just lifted them out of the snow and skied off - she just could not move fast enough to get to them first.

I have my own poles and skis 'graffitied' with my initials and my mobile phone number - I am sure that a couple of years ago when the skis were removed from a gondola it was an innocent mistake and we did get them back - so after that I made it a bit more obvious that they are Mine.

Remember a good few years ago my elder son had left his gloves on the windowsill in the gasthof where we stayed in Niederau - luckily we had a pretty nosy and talkative, but lovely, friend/acquaintance there and when she saw someone else moving them she just asked 'are you sure those are yours?'

Does make sense to try and have some sort of marking on things.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I find snowHead stickers deters most people
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always lock my board, my wife's skis and her fancy carbon fibre poles up, if they are just beyond arms length away.

I have sympathy for the OP but to expect a pair of goggles to still be there, an hour later, is rather optimistic for any ski resort.

I seriously think there is honour amongst Brits on ski holiday's. Amongst some of the local juveniles... not so much.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

I find snowHead stickers deters most people

If only there were some simple and convenient way of purchasing such stickers... Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
m00958 wrote:
I was surprised because I thought most skiing folk were decent sorts.

Answer's there - highlighted now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A guest stole my goggles when I was working in a chalet so no they are not all "good sorts" more like bloody lazy gits who realise their poles/ goggles/ gloves are at home and thought "oh she wont mind" and kept them until I stole them back! I knew they were mine as I had biro'd my name on the inside strap!

Guests also took my skis.... on my day off.... cakes were not great that week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
A guest stole my goggles when I was working in a chalet so no they are not all "good sorts" more like bloody lazy gits who realise their poles/ goggles/ gloves are at home and thought "oh she wont mind" and kept them until I stole them back! I knew they were mine as I had biro'd my name on the inside strap!

Guests also took my skis.... on my day off.... cakes were not great that week.

I hope there were some surprises in those cakes Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My goggles were taken from the back of the chair I was sitting on in the glacier resto in Deux-Alpes. Could have been a mistake by someone.
snow report
Dropped my gogs from a lift in Les Arcs - saw the bloke pick them up - assumed he'd hand them to the lift attendant (10 meters from the lift)..... you can guess the rest.... Sad
snow report
PaulCasey, welcome to snowHeads.....hope your experience here is more rewarding snowHead
snow report
Sat on a snow-pile 3 years ago at bottom of Tortin in Verbier, gathering my thoughts, chilling and having a glass of water, Aussie guy 25 years old ish walks past, picks up my ski's and walks off towards the bubble, no poles in hand. My wife shouts at him, I chase him, he runs, I get them back and he says sorry they look like his................to55er!

Last year, change over day in chalet in St Anton, Belgian car pulls away with my poles inside, been into our boot room and left a pair of cra99y ones sitting in the boot room. Never to be seen again. Why would you do that?? Shocked
snow report
We checked straight away with the tourist office (right opposite where we think they fell off).

I thought they might still be there as it is Vaujany village, in the middle of the day. It's a ghost town during the day, and they wouldn't have been in plain view. Anyway, I'm just guessing that's where they came off.

Sounds as though we weren't "done" quite as badly as others. At the end of the day if that's the worst thing to happen this holiday it's not bad. Just frustrating how some people think/act.
snow conditions
I was in Les Arcs once and someone threw their goggles at me from a chair lift. How rude, I though, so I kept them. Very nice they were too.
latest report
Dr John, Result, I'll try that next time I see someone on the train with an iPad! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Dr John, was it PaulCasey by any chance?
snow conditions
couple of well placed small-ish cable ties on each pole make them easier to secure with your cable-lock. not completely scumbag-proof but probably enough to keep your gear safe most of the time

oh, and yes there are very definitely British scumbags out there
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
I was in Les Arcs once and someone threw their goggles at me from a chair lift. How rude, I though, so I kept them. Very nice they were too.

Very Happy
latest report
bar shaker,
i am a bit shocked - always used small swiss or german village resorts and NEVER had a problem.
Just how common is theft of kit in resorts? and where are the risky areas?
Puzzled
latest report
sunnbuel, May be, and likely is non-ski locals or people who come with intent, rich pickings..............like a kid in a sweet shop etc? I suggest big resorts where they can fade into the background and a bigger problem than many may appreciate I suggest. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
In Flaine March last year i left my £600 Donjoy knee brace in the lift realising when i put my skiis on and my leg feeling very wobbly we ran back to the lift, no brace, i headed straight for the service desk thingy at the bottom and it had been handed in Embarassed

Whilst walking back to my friends and family holding my brace a mum pushing a pram said, "is that your love"? "ive just handed it in over there" pointing to the desk.

She was an English lady and very nice one too.
snow conditions
I'm surprised some of the bigger mountain restaurants haven't taken to providing lockable ski racks and charging for them. It would certainly be a way for them to get more cash from our already depleted pockets...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1 wrote:
I'm surprised some of the bigger mountain restaurants haven't taken to providing lockable ski racks and charging for them. It would certainly be a way for them to get more cash from our already depleted pockets...

There are some resorts that do have them - they surfaced about 6-7 years ago IIRC but don't seem to have caught on. Which is a little surprising, perhaps.
snow report
There's a great system Canada-wide for locking skis up Very Happy
snow report
They have them in Tignes. You can buy a key/lock at the lift pass offices.
snow conditions
Anniepen wrote:
m00958, sympathies; it's very annoying. My husband collected his skis/poles from outside the mountain restaurant where we'd stopped for lunch, to find that the poles weren't his, and one of the pair left in their place, was snapped in half Evil or Very Mad As they were hire skis, we had to pay the shop 20 euros. When it's something you would never do yourself, you do indeed wonder "what's wrong with some people". This was in Andorra BTW

Thats bizarre the samething happened to me in Andorra it was the restaurant by the gondola.

Cost me 20 Euros as well.
snow report
In La Giettaz my daughter dropped her mobile somewhere on the mountain (very new). A few phonecalls later (translated by the lovely cafe owner near the main lift) and the phone was skied down the mountain to us - and the (young) guys wouldnt take a penny off us.
snow report
scotia wrote:
There's a great system Canada-wide for locking skis up Very Happy
Canada-wide? I saw a thread on the system some time back and thought it looked great, but didn't realise it was in use all over Canada. I'm going to Whistler next month, so guess they have it? Can one lock the poles in too?
snow conditions
A friend staying with us dropped keys to hired car on the piste. Only keys, and they were leaving next day to catch flight from Geneva. Panic. I rang the car hire company (French side Europcar) and was told they'd been picked up by a ski instructor, and given his contact details. Drove into town with bottle of wine, swapped wine for keys, happy bunnies. He had phoned the hire car company as soon as he'd found them.
ski holidays
Chasseur, One of the mountain restaurants above St Johann im Pongau have such a system: but them do charge €1 per time.

The ski-key system referred to by others is widespread in Canada and less-so in the US - but I've not seen it in Europe. http://www.skikey.com/locations/
latest report
I think it must be more prevalent in larger resorts for the reasons given above. As you know I spent many years skiing in a small Swiss ski station and nothing ever went missing there - all skis left out and unlocked, even in front of ground floor chalets overnight, all lost property handed in at the restaurant very easy to find odd gloves and poles - I've handed in bits myself and had a set of kids goggles returned, they would hang missing items to the wall behind the till and wait until it was claimed. Even my half decent walking boots were still in the boot room after a year lost!

I think it is always hard to believe that there are folks out there who aren't as fair as we are - I tend to think well if it was me that lost something I'd want it handed in, but the older I get the more I realise that there are a significant portion of low-lives out there that weren't raised on similar principles, sad, but it seems true!
snow conditions
In one season in St Anton I had two pairs of poles and one pair of skis stolen. All seperate incidents. One of the pole thefts they were lifted from my skis right in front of the ski school office while I was getting my group - luckily they were kids so I could do a lesson without poles easily. The skis were locked too, outside a bar - I did get the skis and one set of poles back on insurance though.
snow report
I begin to see an argument here for just spending 10 minutes stitching down the open ended strap on your ski poles (to still allow a small bit of adjustment) and then passing your ski lock through them along with your skis - anything to slow down the 'pick 'em up on the way past' thief. Skis are def. the more costly, but poles aren't two a penny either esp. decent ones.
snow conditions
Is it worth locking them with one of those cable locks ?
Like this....

or would say leaving one ski at a different place from the other deter the casual thief ?
Shall be taking my own skis and poles this year so are there any other deterrents I should consider not mentioned already.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy