Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel between Montgenevre and Serre Che

Poster: A snowHead
Good morning all... Firstly, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section but hopefully someone will be able to give me the benefit of their wisdom...

We've finally booked our ski/boarding holiday and are off to Montgenevre on 16 January.... I've heard some good reports on the resort (including the Milky Way) and it's suitability for mixed ability groups (beginner and intermediate) so I can't wait to get out there.

Anyway what I really wanted some advice on is the transport options between Montgenevre and Serre Che (which is also covered on the lift pass). No doubt our tour operator will have some sort of day trip but if possible I would rather remain flexible. I guess taking a taxi would cost a small fortune but does anyone have any experience if taking a bus?

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-12-10 11:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a bus service. We looked into it but didn't use it when we went to Claviere a couple of years ago.
Someone who knows more than me will be along in a minute....

p.s. Kilt in Claviere do the best pizza in the world.

p.p.s. When we went someone from here emailed me a Claviere/Montgenevre piste map marked up with various comments about pistes, cafes etc. It was very useful to us. I think I've still got a copy of it (on my work PC). PM me your email address and I'll see if I can find it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Higs, that's great. I've sent my email via PM as requested.

Cheers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will look for it when I get home - sat in La Clusaz at the moment waiting for transfer back to Geneva airport

:glum:
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry to hear that but I guess at least you have had your snow fix!.... for the time being.... Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
orangekss, I went in 2001, there was a public bus (fare to pay) from Montgenevre down to Briancon, where you can get the Prarion gondola into the Serre Che area, I didn't use it for skiing, just to have a look round the old town of Briancon, so I am assuming it went right down to the gondola station.

Higs, I remember the delicious pizza and calzone in the Kilt too, I'm glad it's still there, very friendly owner.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luigi wrote:
orangekss, I went in 2001, there was a public bus (fare to pay) from Montgenevre down to Briancon, where you can get the Prarion gondola into the Serre Che area, I didn't use it for skiing, just to have a look round the old town of Briancon, so I am assuming it went right down to the gondola station.

Higs, I remember the delicious pizza and calzone in the Kilt too, I'm glad it's still there, very friendly owner.

It is the Prorel gondola that connects Briancon to the ski area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pistemeister wrote:

It is the Prorel gondola that connects Briancon to the ski area.

Thanks, I knew I should have checked that name, Prarion is in Les Houches in the Chamonix valley, oops!

To partly redeem myself I've found the bus timetable for a service that connects Montgenevre to Briancon (railway station):

http://transports-autocars-excursion-voyages-scolaires.autocars-resalp.com/briancon.htm

Sadly though, there is small print to say that they won't carry ski equipment unless it's bagged up. This sounds like a passenger/transfer service as opposed to a ski bus.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much for the info.... I guess if the tour operator has an organised trip then it may just be easier to go with them. Any more useful info is still gratefully received though.

Thanks for the tip about the Kilt too... I will definitely check it out!

Cheers Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Orangey........get the bus at 7.30 am, be in Briancon for 8, get some pastries and get the first Prorel lift up. If you go with the TO crew, you wont be in Serre Che ski area till 11am because of the usual faffing about by holidaymakers, alcoholics, the forgetful and the precious. And then they'll insist you get on their bus at 4pm. Do it yourself, it's dead easy. Abd Serre Che is sooooooooo much better than Montgenvere you'll probably want to do the journey again!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a small point, Serre Che and Montgenevre are not covered by one pass. A 6 day ticket for Serre Che includes one day in Montgenevre (and PSV and one other I think). Probably the same works in reverse.

Also there is a difference between a Montgenevre pass and a Voie Lactee pass. The full Voie LActee area costs a little more but there is more than enough to occupy most skiers for one day in Montgenevre alone.

It's less than 10Km from Montgenevre to the Prorel so a taxi would not be out of the question especially if it's shared.

Enjoy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again for the info... very useful.

We got the Milky Way pass so I recon there will be more that enough to keep us occupied but as Serre Che is so close it would be a crime not spend a day there. It is also where I learned and although I spent a week there I didn't get the best out of it. I'm looking forward to going back as an intermediate...

Luigi mentioned that the bus to Briancon didn't allow skis/boards unless they are bagged. Does this sound right to you Kevin Mcclean?.... Did you encounter this problem?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Marked up map sent.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome, thanks Higs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Higs, Any chance of a copy of that Montegenevre Map pls ? (or orangekss).

Currently sat in PSV and planning on driving to Montgenevre for a day on Thursday/Friday.

Thx
Si
snow conditions
Hi Orangekss. No such probs when I went but I guess the rules could've changed.
latest report
Hi fishslice. If Higs hasn't sent it already, PM me your email address and I will send it on to you.... and thanks for the reply Kevin.

Cheers.
snow report
For the loca Montgenevre taxi try Patrick on +33 (0)607 067 998.

if you get 6 day Mont de la Lune pass you get 1 day free in each of the following: The rest of the Milky Way, Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, Bardonecchia, Deux Alpes and Alpes D'Huez. Perfect for a ski Safari.

If you want to spend more than 1 day in SanSicario, Sestriere and Sauze D'Oux buy a Milky Way pass.

Hope this helps,

Gerry
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy