Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans!!! - Season 2010-11

Poster: A snowHead
Linds, Already done. Should be possible if the transfer is prompt. The most economical way of doing the lift pass thing is to get a 7 day Dolomiti Superski pass. Only €13 more than the 6 day, so worth it if only for an hour or two.

Might be just you and me though!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Linds wrote:
You normally hear the week before about transfers.

I will try and chill then!

Quote:
We are going into Innsbruch and have an earlier flight so we will see you in the chalet Very Happy

I can't wait!!! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went with mountain ski last Feb - very professionally and friendly -fantastic location send my regards to Jimmi!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back. Had a great week in Arraba with enough snow over the start of the week to keep pistes in good condition.

There were large patches of brown grass showing on the last couple of days, it really needs a decent dump to freshen everything up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also just back - from st christina. Didn't get to Arraba but the slopes around selva and alta badia were in great nick. Most of the time the lift queues were fine too - no more than 5 mins. The big exceptions were dantercepies - over 30 mins and a 2 person chairlift on the ortisei side of seiseralm - 35 mins. Liked seiseralm a lot but it's much better getting there on the bus from monte pane. all in all a fantastic week
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We came back from Selva yesterday and had the best week we have had in 9 weeks of skiing, great pistes the beginning of the day, a bit lumpy in the afternoons. They did close the Sellar Ronda in both directions Friday all day because of high winds, the local ski tech said the conditions would continue for a few days, hope he's wrong for all those going to do that route, but there is loads to keep anyone amused, right, now to book next years trips back to Selva Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back last night from Arabba. Had brilliant conditions all round the Sella Ronda with the best snow being in Arabba itself. Snowed SunMon sunny on Tue/Wed, whiteout on Thu and really sunny on Fri. Was sunny and warm when we left yesterday. The South facing hillsides kept getting covered by snow only for it to recede after a sunny day so some days the resorts looked very snowy and on others a little like Spring. All pistes were in excellent condition though regardless of the aspect. Anyone who's gone out this weekend should have good conditions.

On the few snowy days we didn't venture too far and consequently we didn't do all the days out we wanted to. We did do Cinque Torri and skied the Averau circuit back to Col Gallina which was new to us and then skied the Hidden Valley back, with a lunch at Scotini's. On Friday skied the long run down to Ortesei with Sueski and ate at a place near to the bottom lift. Also did the Saslong black run pretty much non stop which was brilliant due to good visibility and good snow and also being fairly empty.

All in all another fantastic week in the Dolomites again. I want to book again now 
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi pokemon, sounds like you had a great time - I'm very envious. i had a text from sueski whilst she was night skiing at zoldo - did you get to do that as well ? Did she go gently on you on the ortisei run?
Tempted to say when booking include another - would likewise love to go again !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nickH, We didn't do the night skiing as it was for Ski Total staff although I think we could have persuaded her to let us go. The run down to Ortisei was pretty much non stop but good fun. We went with a group of Sue's Inghams guests who were great fun. We would like to go again this season but it's not practical for us due to time off work but was really thinking of next season. We are however thinking of taking a few days in the Summer to go back walking.

If you do decide to go this season the conditions should be OK and you could take advantage of the dolomitisuperski supersun deal which starts on the 19th March
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pokemon, glad you had a good time! Smile

Sounds like Sue went easy on you, was she feeling OK? Wink Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi, She did actually have a bad cold and some back pain and said she wasn't skiing as well as normal. However, we were all still trailing behind her regardless Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got back on saturday night from Pozza di Fassa, as pokemon says, snow two days, sunny the rest, great conditions all round!
Can confirm it is possible to get from Pozza to the Hidden Valley and back, got the earliest bus to Canazei and was at the top of Canazei by 9.45 ready to head to Arabba, got to the taxi stop near armenterola for 11.15, did the valley, stopped for lunch, and even managed to get down in to Canazei for the 4 o'clock bus to Alba and ski back to Pozza! Great day.

Also did the orange sella ronda, however the thursday white out conditions didn't leave the greatest views of the big rock! Set off late for this, skied right from pozza to alba, bus to canazei, wasn't at the top of Pozza until 10.30 and still managed to get right the way round, including a stop in Hotel Stella in Selva for lunch, got back to Alba again to ski back in to Pozza!

Had a great week overall, and will definitely get back to the area again, but will stay in Canazei or Selva next time!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swskier, excellent and great news to hear you had a good time. We knew you could do the Hidden Valley from Pozza with enough encouragement snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier, I am delighted that my (somewhat) derided plan to ski via Alba to the Hidden Valley worked. Sounds like a great day. Thanks for the info on timings too. 1 and 1/2 hours from the top of Canazei to Armentrola is very useful information.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello SellaRondans...

I'm in the midst of planning a trip for next year and wondered if it was acceptable to ask a few questions?

In particular, I've got a problem that there are 9 of us and that makes it tricky getting a transfer. Any ideas? We'll be arriving at Marco Polo at 11.45. Happy to pay for a private transfer, but they seem to want to lay on 2 minibuses (one can only hold Cool.

Thanks. Can't wait to join you all.

Alex
ski holidays
thewinelake, What resort are you going to ?
ski holidays
Not sure yet! Favourite right now is Colfosco, but I'm avidly reading this thread for other ideas.

It's interesting how hard it is to find large apartments in the area, and we're 9. Happy to consider going for an 8 + 4 (the apartments are generally pretty cheap compared to France)
snow report
thewinelake, The reason I asked was that on the Birthday Bash we used this lot to get transfers to Arabba : -

http://www.dolomitistars.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=36

Only 29 Euros return, so a bargain and they lay on appropriate transport for the numbers involved. Only available for Arabba and other local resorts as per their web-site.
ski holidays
Sounds amazing. Although I see they depart at 12:00, so could be hairy if our flight/luggage is delayed.
snow report
So what resorts are recommended? Would love to ski the full circuit at some time, and we also have kids who would like lessons in English.

Also, if there's anyone here who's used Colletts - do you know what the timing of their Venice transfers are?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-03-11 23:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
thewinelake, They did delay departure for a delayed flight, but I think you would have to ask them if the 11:45 arrival would be ok for the 12:00 transfer. It would be a pain if you had to book the 18:00 transfer.

There is a left luggage office in the airport, so you could get the bus into Venice and have a look around for a few hours.
snow report
Would like to get into resort early enough to get ski gear before the shops shut.
snow conditions
We were in Selva this year and ski hire stayed open till 11.00 on transfere days
snow report
thewinelake, We used a private taxi company, www.viaggiamanda.it for our trip a week ago to Canazei for 10 of us being picked up at Venice Treviso, in what I think was a 12 seater. Price was 800 euros return. For past Sella Ronda holidays to Selva and Corvara we have used www.taxi-busgardena.com. Hope this helps.
snow conditions
That sounds very useful, thanks
snow report
Here is another option. They charge 30 Euros per person each way from Venice to Corvara. Not sure if their times coincide with UK flight times though. You can email them and ask. They replied to my questions very quickly.

www.cortinaexpress.it
snow report
thewinelake, Used dolomitistars a few weeks ago for a transfer to arabba. I was on the 11.45 flight which ran a little late & they waited for me. I've heard they do that regularly if the flights a little late and they have people booked in for transfer.
snow conditions
And were you staying with them?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thewinelake, they do subsidised transfers for the accommodation in the list on this page - http://www.dolomitistars.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=144
snow report
Would I be correct in thinking that Alleghe is a smallish resort in the unfashionable South East Quadrant of the S.R? Probably a bit limited for Intermediates compared to Arraba or the Selva/Val Gardena area?
ski holidays
No but was staying in arabba.I think the service was started to serve only the hotels that were part of the consortium, but has now become a more general service to the resorts.
snow conditions
thewinelake, I have not been to Alleghe itself but it is not ski lift linked to the Sella Ronda so you'd have to get a bus to get onto the Sella Ronda itself, which would be something of a pain.
latest report
thewinelake wrote:
Would I be correct in thinking that Alleghe is a smallish resort in the unfashionable South East Quadrant of the S.R? Probably a bit limited for Intermediates compared to Arraba or the Selva/Val Gardena area?

Alleghe is a resort in the Civetta ski area which has around 80km of skiing linked to some other villages. The ski area is very scenic, it has tremendous views of the Civetta and Pelmo mountains. It is a lot more Italian and a little lower budget than the Sella Ronda resorts which attract a varied international crowd. You need to catch a 30min bus to Malga Ciapela to link into the back of Arabba area and then the rest of the Sella Ronda linked area.

If you're intermediates who enjoy exploring, you would be better off in one of the Sella Ronda resorts: Selva, Corvara, Arabba, Canazei, etc. From Arabba, you can do the WW1 tour that takes in the Civetta area.
ski holidays
swskier, glad you had a good week!!
Well done on your Hidden Valley trip, you covered a lot of ground there!!
snow report
What are the favourite runs on the Sella Ronda of those here?
snow report
thewinelake, I personally love the Gran Risa runs down into La Villa. I also like the blacks down from Portovescovo in Arabba and the runs in the Cinque Torri area. Apart from that there a number of other great runs in Alta Badia and the Saslong is also great fun in Selva. Also liked the run down from Col de Rodella following the gondola in Val di Fassa.

To be honest I like most of the runs all over the area but the long runs are pretty special. The run from Seceda to Ortisei is apparently 12km long and is quite fast in parts but is extremely scenic.

Edit: some of the above runs are not on the Sella Ronda but are in the locale
snow conditions
thewinelake, Cir down from the top of the Dantercepies gondola, take it all the way down to its own ending rather than joining onto the lower end of Dantercepies. Plus the small black run (sorry forgot its name) at the top of the Boe gondola, late in the day when nobody else is there.
ski holidays
+1 for the Secceda to Ortisei run (even though it's a bit off the Sella Ronda). As Pokemon says it's very scenic - you go through a mini gorge with a frozen waterfall and it's a good blend of fast open mountain skiing and then skiing through the forest. The run off the other side of Seceda down to S. Christina is also very good - a wide open bowl interspersed with great mountain huts, narrowing down again into a run through the woods.

I liked the run from the top of Dantercepies all the way down to Colfosco. A fast cruise below towering scenery. Must be great when it's not too crowded.
snow report
Plan Boe is pretty (I think that's the right name).
+1 for Secceda to Ortesei
ski holidays
1.5 sleeps until we hit San Cassiano. Will let you know what it's looking like at the mo Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy