Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans!!! - Season 2010-11

Poster: A snowHead
As has been the tradition of the last 2 seasons at least (thanks to Chris Bish & holidayloverxx), there's been a dedicated thread for all who may be heading out to the Sella Ronda and nearby areas in the Italian Dolomites, where people could post their plans, arrange to meet up, ask questions, post photos and generally eulogise about the area.

Well, in the absence of any other takers, I have picked up the baton and started this year's thread.

I've been keeping an eye on the Dolomites early season weather in the Italy thread in the Snow Report section, it's starting to look like a good year for snow in that part of the world, there has been a heavy dump of 49cm of snow since yesterday at altitude near Arabba bringing snow depth up to 177cm on the mountain and 60+cm in the valley, very respectable totals for pre-Xmas, not record-breaking as two seasons ago, but definitely well above average. There's a further 15-30cm forecast for tomorrow with freeze levels dropping too, a white Christmas indeed!

In view of the excellent conditions, I took the plunge today and booked a week in an Arabba chalet in mid-January. After last year in Zermatt, which was very nice but pricey, I'm back to the Dolomites to get my fix. A half-price offer came along and I couldn't resist, I've wanted to try Arabba for a while and explore a bit more at that end of the area as I've only stayed in Selva & Canazei before. I'm hoping to do the World War I Ski Tour which takes in the Civetta area and the Hidden Valley. Only 3 weeks to wait!!!

Is anyone else heading out that way this year???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not Arabba but we are going to Selva on Saturday 15th January ... for 2 weeks. I can't wait.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luigi, Don't forget the Snowheads birthday bash at Arabba from the 5th to the 12th of February. There's still time to join up but anyone who's skiing there the same week, come and join us for a ski. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be in Selva 5th-12th Jan.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Going to Arabba for a week for the first time at the end of January. Sounds as if there isn't a lack of snow.

It is with a group of friends, there are plans of skiing down Val Lasties and Val Mezdi. Just wanted to check how diffcult the routes were rather than just following the others like a sheep !! and then struggling. We are all good intermediate skiers

What other highlights are worth doing ???, all suggestions welcome !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
luigi, Good move. I am flirting with PdS for my first trip in January, but will be back in the wonderful Dolomiti for the Bashette in March. Looks very promising snow-wise so far.

For thunderer, the routines are pretty well established for first week in the Dolomiti. You hit list will include the Sella Ronda circuit, both ways round (different days unless very speedy!) the Hidden Valley with horse tow, Marmolada (start early), Selva and the Sasslong possibly including Seceda, maybe Alba with an early start. Cinque Torri of course. Maybe a taxi to Cortina. Ortisei maybe.... oops seem to have used up more than a week.

Plenty of excellent info (much of it from luigi, who is a bus and link guru) on previous years' Calling Sella Ronda Fans threads. Enjoy.

One word of warning - you will have many versions of a conversation that goes like this, "Oh the Dolomites are so beautiful." "Yes, of course, mountains are beautiful." "But the Dolomites are special." ..... incomprehension from anyone who has not seen it for themselves.

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish, Thanks will now study the piste map.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thunderer, some experience off piste needed for Val Lasties and Val Mezdi and about a hours walk in. Might be worth hiring a guide for the day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thunderer, there are some trip reports over on the TGR forum detailing the off-piste routes around the Sella, some guys with experience of these do post here also, but it might be worth you asking the questions on TGR too.

Enjoy with care, it looks awesome!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81695

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53437

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50606

You will need to hire a local guide to venture into the Sella, some 'experienced' snowshoers ignored the avalanche warnings and died in a Val Lasties slide last season, sadly some of the Canazei mountain rescue guys who went to get them triggered another avalanche and perished too.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1412718
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, you've still got the Dolomite bug I see!

PdS appeals to me too, seems like it's the nearest thing to the Dolomite experience in France where you can cover large distances travelling between ancient villages amidst pretty wooded slopes and jagged peaks, even purpose-built Avoriaz looks kind of attractive in a quirky way!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi, Great pictures, will get a guide I think to make most of trip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
luigi

Look forward to any updates.Due in San Cassiano March 6th.
thanks
John
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi, good to see the thread up & running again, particularly as I hope to be in Arabba the end of jan !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH, Are you catching up with sueski? We are out on the 26th Feb again in Arabba. Seems too far away.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There 9th - 16th Jan with my daughter
snow report
Just noticed this from Salomon FreeskiTv, a bunch of freeskiers on a roadtrip across Italy, starting in deep powder in Limone in NW Italy, by 2:46 they hit the Dolomites at San Martino di Castrozza, they then ski some near vertical faces off the Marmolada, then over to Canazei to shoot at tremendous speed some of the steep narrow gulleys off the Sass Pordoi on the Sella Massif.

It's pretty insane, they're definitely pushing the boundaries!

http://www.salomonfreeski.com/uk/freeski-tv/season-04-episode-10.html

http://youtube.com/v/571Lbfo0E8w

Sobering to see that their guide, Dimitri Rizzi died on an extreme descent off the Pordoi in April this year, seems there's no room for error or complacency!
snow report
I also found this, might be helpful, it brings together all the piste maps for the different areas around the Sella Ronda (you can enlarge them by clicking on the link just above each map).

He's also marked on there the best pistes (in his opinion, but I can't fault it) and other interesting features like Skicross areas, Fun Parks and timer sections which he labels 'crono', the only shame is it's all in Spanish, but it's mostly self-explanatory.

http://www.nevasport.com/phorum/read.php?88,2299074,2311195
latest report
No 'valley' for me this season. Sad Banned from skiing for 12mths by the surgeon after a bicep tendon reattachment. rolling eyes
ski holidays
HI pokemon, , yup, am teeing up transfers, pass & accom again with her & hopefully will get in a bit of skiing as well. I expect some apres is also inevitable ( the sacrifices must be made !))

Am currently in oz, so Arabba seems far away in every sense !!
ski holidays
Great to see the thread up and running again. Am off to village of Siusi near Castelrotto below the Alpe Di Siusi on 29th January for a week. Have been watching the weather forecast carefully over the last few weeks. Shame about all the warmer foehn winds during November/early December which decimated the large snowfalls during that period. But so far so good with the current snowfall totals.
snow report
We're visiting on the 23rd for a week with our son and his girlfriend! Really looking forward to it.
latest report
We're off to the Canazei on Sunday - our first trip to the Dolomites Very Happy
snow report
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
We're off to the Canazei on Sunday - our first trip to the Dolomites Very Happy

Have a good one! Don't wear the snow out too much for the rest of us!

I did a trip report for Canazei in 2009: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1131915

You'll love it! It will be quite busy next week as the local (Trentino) kids are still on holiday until the 10th, New Year (Capodanno) is a big holiday in Italy, so the weekenders may well stay until Monday/Tuesday. There'll also be quite a few Russians about as their Xmas falls on Jan 7th. It will mean the gondola at Canazei will have a bit of a queue but it moves quickly, you should easily beat the Italians if you want to catch it early though. Don't bother with the cable car at Campitello. If you want peace and quiet, go to the Alba-Ciampac area as its not on the Sella Ronda.

Great to see that so many snowHeads are heading out that way this season! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Yep...time to keep a eye on this thread....... snowHead
ski holidays
"Don't bother with the cable car at Campitello"

Why? Going 3rd jan to Campitello
latest report
nickH, If she's running a day trip to Cortina I'd recommend it. We had an excellent time with her. Have you been out in Oz for the cricket ?
ski holidays
San Cassiano on 13 March along with a 'few' others. It's gonna be GRRREEEAATT!!!
snow report
Freefall, if there's a queue, get/stay on the bus to canazei - it brings you out 1-2 lifts/runs away from the campitello cablecar. Queue can be 40mins long or more (although 3rd Jan week ought to be quieter).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freefall, We were in Campitello at half term in 2009 and always took the bus to Canazei. The lift queues at Cananzei are very fast-moving (walking pace) whereas you may well wait for a while at the Campitello cable-car. The Campitello is fine for coming down though!

snowHead
ski holidays
luigi, thanks for the info re busy slopes initially. Really looking forward to skiing in a completely new (to us) area.
snow report
Freefall wrote:
"Don't bother with the cable car at Campitello"

Why? Going 3rd jan to Campitello

Do as Andy says. The queues can be long and slow if it's busy, never waited more than 10 mins at Canazei, but it was about 40mins at Campitello when I hit it wrong one morning, never again!

You feel as if you're getting somewhere with a gondola queue. Cablecar queues dangle hope in front of your eyes and then snatch it away mercilessly, several times in a row! Sad
snow conditions
pokemon, will go if she is, though as she is now working for one of the T/O's as well it might not be an option.

No, not for the cricket, just catching up with friends, revisiting some old haunts & trying to cover some of the cost by doing a bit of work whilst here - not all bad !!
snow report
Found this recent trip report with nice photos from last week (18th-25th Dec) over on the german Alpinforum, some nice shots of the FIS World Cup action on the Saslong, the 'Witches' tour of the Alpe di Siusi and a Sella Ronda day under bluebird skies, the Vallon black run just off the main route between Corvara & Arabba looks good!

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37699

Snowcover looks promising too for all us snowHeads champing at the bit! snowHead
snow report
Great photos on that link luigi, got me looking forward to my first ever Sella Ronda trip end of Jan even more now. And from those night time shots Ortisei looks like a place to consider for another year.
latest report
Out with the boys in Canazei January 15th, can't wait Very Happy
snow conditions
mfamily2 wrote:
Out with the boys in Canazei January 15th, can't wait Very Happy

If it's a boys trip, you might want to check out the lively apres on mountain Tuesday & Thursday afternoons at Piz Seteur between Selva and Canazei:

http://pizseteur.com/en/events.html

(Warning: the events gallery is a bit NSFW, type 'Piz Seteur' into Youtube for similar)

Don't stay too long and miss the lifts back to Canazei! wink

Down in the village, Giardino delle Rose/Rosengarten pub near the church is usually good for an apres drink or two (if the village home run is open). Lieber Augustin or Husky Pub are usually lively later on.
latest report
Bump

Off tomorrow to Selva - any up to date snow reports would be good

Also a quick question, as I'm with my 9 year old daughter, what are the red runs down from Dantercepies and Ciampinoi like, are they of French steepness or more typical Italian red's i.e. less steep?

Thanks in advance
snow report
Stevew - I would say that the two runs you mention are more like French reds. Many other reds around Selva (eg the one down from Plan de Gralba to Selva) are less steep - like yer usual Italian reds
ski holidays
Dantercepies and Ciampinoi reds are moderate and wide, not too bad at all

Approx 3 km down the valley is Ortisei, from there the Gondala takes to to an area called (if memory serves me ) Alpe De Suesi, lot of blues and easy reds and very quite pistes.
snow report
I would say that the Dantercepies reds are easier (lovely in fact). The one to the left of the top of the Ciampinoi lift (at the top) can be very challenging for the first section - it is steep and usually scraped as most people go down it - usually lots of people struggling so you have to be prepared to wend your way through them otherwise you can stand at the top for ages waiting for a gap.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy