Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans!!! - Season 2010-11

Poster: A snowHead
Bartezki, The hotel we are staying has wi-fi so will perhaps try and report while there
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickH, I'm middle ageish as well, wearing a white helmet with black stripe!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That would be much appreciated skunk thunderer Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bartezki, Ho Ho, you must be at least the 27th person to say that. It's a black meesh panel for ventilation, but you are correct it does have skunk qualties.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thunderer, will keep an eye open for you - sound distinctive ! I've not graduated to a helmet yet, so little to distinguish me save a rust red jacket & grey beard. Have a great time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
High point of our week was the Val de Mesdi on Sunday - skinned from the cable car to the Rif. Boe (though it would be an easy walk - about 3km) Entry couloir was a fantastic run in perfect packed powder - great snow in the run through the valley and stunning scenery

- thought I'd share a few shots from the Val de Mesdi last Sunday .... wink

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffers, awsesome pics, some fellow guests from the chalet also did the Val di Mezdi the day before you, last Saturday, with one of the guides from Arabba. They said the drop-in was fairly steep and the last section was quite narrow between the boulders.

Must try it one day when I summon up the courage.....but I don't want to die young! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
They said the drop-in was fairly steep and the last section was quite narrow between the boulders.
Drop in was steep-ish, but easy-peasy as the snow was excellent. (In fact it was so good I considered hiking back up to do it again Smile ) It was the exit which was a bit hairy, as the earlier warm weather followed by the current cold had made it pretty difficult (think: steep, narrow, icy moguls) - not the place to lose an edge, but controlled sideslipping won the day.
Quote:
Must try it one day ...
yep - an absolute must: probably don't need a guide if you're a competent skier with backcountry experience as there's no route finding. Hike in is pretty flat: we skinned it, but others were walking
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going to Alba(Canazei) March 12th with family and friends(mixed ages and abilities) Looking forward to the experience and was wondering how long would the Sella Ronda take at a leisurely pace???? Any useful tips also, as first ski in Italy Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
supernannie, it's 25km of skiing plus lifts, so it could probably last a whole day if you did it at a leisurely pace with stops, all in the group would need to be able to ski reds, be fit and have enough stamina for a full day's skiing. Some quick skiers have done it twice (both ways) in the same day, so doing it once isn't exactly a marathon, but could be a long way for a new skier, younger kids or an unfit oldie.

Tips for skiing in Italy: enjoy the sunshine and the food! Buon sciare!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks for reply Luigi Smile all taken on board and looking forward to a great week. Have had some brill scenery on other trips!!! but this looks to out do easily Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Staying at Arabba first day yesterday, snow hard and fast, a few icy patches last thing but much better than expected following three of no snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the risk of being accused of hogging this thread NehNeh ... (but worth it to bump the thread to show what a fantastic ski area this is)
I've put a little compilation vid. up on youTube

http://youtube.com/v/97ba4Ip2GH0
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoffers, you don't have to apologise for that kind of quality vid, but you should repent of your gluttony with the Sachertorte! wink
latest report
Just copied your itinery for the WW1 tour, luigi, . We will be at San Cassiano. Would that be a reasonable tour in a day? I would leave out the Marmolada and ( think) you can get off at the mid-station on the gondola out of Arabba and save some time on the trip down to Malga Ciapella. The only downside might be a late run down the Hidden Valley back to base. And I don't think lunch would be at Scotoni.

Another question: Might a non-skier reasonably walk to Scotoni from San Cassiano, do you think?

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, The route to M.C. from Arabba is from the mid-gondola station plus chairs - not from the cable at PortoVescovo.
Quote:
Might a non-skier reasonably walk to Scotoni from San Cassiano, do you think?

Just measured it on the map : from Alb. Armentarola (where the bus/taxi departs) to Scotoni is ~4km with a height gain from 1615m to 1985m = 370m so should be a pretty easy walk. Or: less than 2km from Cap Alpina (1726m) where the sleigh rides & return taxis run - so a sleigh ride & 2km walk could be a poss too, which would be nice for a non-skier Blush
snow report
Excellent info thanks. Our March trip includes a non skier who is very handy with a camera. I think he would enjoy that trip.

The leaflet for the WW1 tour has some rather intimidating kilometerages but luigi, makes it sound possible. Careful timng of bus links might be the thing.

snowHead
latest report
geoffers, I think I recognise the Sachertorte location as the Rif Plan Boe just above Arabba?
I dare say the assembled snowHeads on the 7th BB next week will be spending a few hours in there at the end of the days snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
SteveM, You bet. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish, I was surprised how doable the WW1 tour was. One advantage of your start point, when you get to do the Hidden Valley twd the end of the day you'll probably have it to yourself!

There are plenty of places to stop for lunch in the Civetta area, Ristoro Belvedere at Fertazza had an amazing 360 view of the west wall of Civetta & Monte Pelmo. You might make it up to Rifugio Fedare or Averau if you make good time. Best thing about the Dolomites, whenever it's lunchtime, there's always somewhere nice to stop!

The bus timings do make a difference, the Malga Ciapela/Sottoguda-Alleghe service runs pretty frequently every 10-15 mins, but the Pescul-Fedare service is one bus each way (we met the other on one of the hairpin bends onthe Passo Giau), so the departures are at 30min intervals, at quarter past and quarter to the hour, here's the timetable:

http://www.skicivetta.com/modules/mastop_publish/files/files_4d10a716cdc3e.pdf

Make sure you choose a sunny day and take your camera! Cool
snow report
SteveM,
Quote:
I think I recognise the Sachertorte location as the Rif Plan Boe just above Arabba?
Got it in one - was it the honey serving us, or the location you recognised wink

Sachertorte, washed down with bombardinos, williams & plenty birra...
latest report
geoffers wrote:

Sachertorte, washed down with bombardinos, williams & plenty birra...

Sounds like a potent combination........! Shocked
ski holidays
Just got back from Arabba. hotel good, food fantastic, service very good, skiing conditons better than we hoped, and scenery fantastic !!!!
snow report
thunderer wrote:
Just got back from Arabba. hotel good, food fantastic, service very good, skiing conditons better than we hoped, and scenery fantastic !!!!

Glad you had a good time, but kinda knew you would!!!

Any photos to drool over?

Not been watching the weather, has it snowed there recently?
snow conditions
luigi, Sorry no time to take photographs, too busy skiing.

I'm afraid no real snow all man-made.

Certainly worth getting started early in the morning, by around 12.00 all the loose stuff was piled up at the side, the middle very hard and fast.
latest report
A large crop of snowheads just back from a week in Arabba where we had to "endure" six days of blue sky and sunshine while skiing/boarding. Boy did we have fun. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As per last year, the Rifugio Plan Boe became an unofficial second home at the end of many days, it was even decorated with a snowheads banner outside the terrace and we enjoyed a lovely evening meal there on the Wednesday (with the possible exception of the evil grappa shots that they dished up at the end - perhaps they wanted rid of us wink ).

The piste skiing is still in incredibly good nick, especially when you get off the green/orange Ronda routes themselves and enjoy the other parts, and in the morning. Some more ugly parts (bumps) in the afternoon where it is a bit steeper and heavily used (eg the two reds down to the Rif Plan Boe and the red off the top of Portavescovo) but still skiable.

I ventured down to Monte Pana on the last day for a few rounds of the red/black off the chairlift up from there - absolutely deserted, great piste conditions, what more could I ask for?

We'll be back for more ..... snowHead
snow report
OOh - glad you had a good time. I love the Plan Boe. Bombardinos - had a few. Do you reckon it's advocat?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, I can't recall what they are called, but the more popular drink this year seemed to be the Bombardino with coffee. Can't say that I indulged myself so cannot comment on whether it just looks like Advocaat or really does have Advocaat in it, sorry.

Courtesy of admin here is the pic of the snowheads HQ:

Here are my favourite photos so far from the trip.
First the Gruppo Sella at sunset taken from the run down from Belvedere to Arabba:

Then a panorama of the cliffs at the top of the Vallon black run:
snow conditions
Quote:

I can't recall what they are called, but the more popular drink this year seemed to be the Bombardino with coffee

Calimero

Prefer that to bombardino
snow conditions
Cheers, andy, I knew someone would be along soon to fill in the gaps Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
SteveM, np

Think it's 50/50 brandy/advocaat heated up, whipped cream on top. calimero is same but with a shot of espresso too. May be wrong, in which case someone is bound to correct me.
Either way, they're nice Smile
ski holidays
Hi all, am off to pozza di fassa on the 26th, and have been before so can not wait! Was just wondering whether people would think it feasible to get from pozza to the hidden valley and back in a day? One boarder, one skier, both young and fairly quick?

Cheers
snow report
Hi all, am off to pozza di fassa on the 26th, and have been before so can not wait! Was just wondering whether people would think it feasible to get from pozza to the hidden valley and back in a day? One boarder, one skier, both young and fairly quick?

Cheers
snow conditions
swskier, absolutely yes in my view. snowHead snowHead

I'd reckon you take skibus to Canzei, upload on gondola and carry on over the top of Belvedere. From there via Arabba to Passo Campolungo, turn right and over the top and down to Armentarola, you should be there within 2 hours of starting.

The "only" bad news in my view is that the way back via the top of Portavescovo will be at the "wrong time of day" if you're a bit tired.
latest report
Anyone in Pozza di Fassa week starting 19th March and up for a quiet apres beer and talking ski geek or maybe even English?

Swap some local info and tell tall tales - some of which could possibly be true?

Bloke early 50s(ouch that hurts) and his 14 year old godson up for a meet and maybe plan some adventures?

Staying Hotel San Nicolo.
snow report
SteveM, Don't forget you would have to get bus or taxi from Armetarola. Still possible though, but a big day. Another way would be to ski to Arabba and then get a taxi to Laguzoi. Might be quicker and gives you a chance of getting back!

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
SteveM, Don't forget you would have to get bus or taxi from Armetarola. Still possible though, but a big day. Another way would be to ski to Arabba and then get a taxi to Laguzoi. Might be quicker and gives you a chance of getting back!

snowHead

Chris Bish Have you been studying those maps again? Laughing
ski holidays
Linds, You know very well I am such a nerd that I can memorize piste maps in no time!

If swskier, is really determined, then how about this for an itinery: From Pozza, over the top to Alba then get the bus to Canazei. Up Belvedere and down to the gondola in Arabba, Ski down to Malga Ciapella and get the bus to Allegehe. Over the top of there and then get the bus to Fedare and into Cinque Torri by the "back door". Two lifts to Laguzoi, ski Hidden Valley and then back into Sella Ronda system at Armentrola. Blue zooming to Pralongia and back to Canazei via Arabba. Bus back to Pozza.

You would have to start early and go like stink, but I think it would be possible. One hell of a challenge, but hey, you confessed to being young!

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:

If swskier, is really determined, then how about this for an itinery: From Pozza, over the top to Alba then get the bus to Canazei. Up Belvedere and down to the gondola in Arabba, Ski down to Malga Ciapella and get the bus to Allegehe. Over the top of there and then get the bus to Fedare and into Cinque Torri by the "back door". Two lifts to Laguzoi, ski Hidden Valley and then back into Sella Ronda system at Armentrola. Blue zooming to Pralongia and back to Canazei via Arabba. Bus back to Pozza.

You would have to start early and go like stink, but I think it would be possible. One hell of a challenge, but hey, you confessed to being young!

snowHead

Hmmm, if you made it you probably wouldn't be fit for anything the next day!! But it would be an interesting challenge if you're up for it!! Do it!!! snowHead

I did that route from Arabba comfortably in 6 and a half hours inc lunch and drink stop, the extra mileage would probably add an hour on the way out and half an hour on the way back, so if you got on the first gondola at Pozza at 8:30, you could be back at Canazei by 16:30, and you could always have drinks and lunch on the buses. You might be able to save a bit of time by getting a taxi-bus instead of the horse-tow at the bottom of the Hidden Valley. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be doable if you ski quickly, ski directly without mistakes, don't get caught in long lift queues and catch the buses right.

Alternatively, the taxi guys in the centre of Arabba will take you up to the Hidden Valley cablecar at Passo Falzarego for €50 or €8 a head if there's 6 or more of you (2009 prices). There were 3 of us and luckily 2 Germans came along and shared the taxi. I've done it comfortably from Canazei using this method.

Also you could ski over to Armentarola and catch the taxi-buses there (€4, 2009 prices)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy