Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Scotland tomorrow????????

Poster: A snowHead
Hey great to hear the day was so good, Alpine conditions in Scotland eh - I keep telling people it happens sometimes but they never believe me lol Wink

Oh and Happy Birthday once again - hope you have a great evening Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, Thank you.

Safe to go home via Perth tomorrow?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be safe via Perth unless there's an almighty dump - they prioritise the A9 so should be clear quick even if there is a dump, last I heard it was fine now so any probs will be caused by new snow. I'd keep an eye on the traffic forecasts in the morning though just in case there has been snow.

Have a safe journey back Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A9 fine but not quit 2 full lanes in parts. Happy birthday
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
Bergmeister, I think Nevis may not be open. They opened a bit earlier than intended, just for the weekend - they are still doing their pre-winter season overhaul of lifts etc. (Given the last couple of years experience shouldn't they be doing that earlier?)

They have to do their overhaul between the end of the biking and the start of the skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More than 10,000 skiers flock to Scotland's slope

Snowboarders tell the BBC's Rona Dougall they are enjoying the snowy conditions

Scotland's winter weather has been a bonus for skiers with more than 10,000 taking to the slopes at four of the country's ski centres over the weekend.

The Nevis Range had its earliest start to the season for 13 years on Saturday while Glenshee had about 4,500 visitors over Saturday and Sunday.

Up to 4,000 skiers were at CairnGorm, up to 900 at the Nevis Range and about 800 at The Lecht.

Glencoe ski resort is not yet open as it does not have enough snow.

On Saturday, Colin Kirkwood, of CairnGorm Mountain told the BBC Scotland news website: "We have had over 1,500 skiers. At this time of year, depending on how much snow we have, we would usually see a few hundred.

"We managed to get all the roads and car parks clear so people were able to get onto the slopes and enjoy really good quality snow."

A spokesman for the Nevis Range said: "The skiers were delighted we were open. It was a very good atmosphere."
Avalanche warnings

Avalanche warnings have been issued for the Highlands.

Willie Anderson, a member of CairnGorm Mountain Rescue Team for more than 30 years, said there would be a "high risk" of avalanches across parts of the mountains in the Highlands.
Skiers at Glenshee ski centre The winter weather has increased visitor numbers at Scottish ski centres

On Friday, CairnGorm warned some visitors appeared to have ignored warnings at its site.

Yellow and black flags have been used to mark out areas of high avalanche risk.

Staff have urged people to use the Sportscotland Avalanche Information Service (SAIS).

The service has started providing weekend reports for Lochaber and Northern Cairngorms and will launch its full service from 16 December.

Bill Wilson, who runs a business selling sledges and hiring skis at Glenmore, near Aviemore, has bought a machine to make snow last 40% longer on forest tracks. The cross country piste machine cuts parallel tracks for skiers to use on Forestry Commission Scotland land. The vehicle packs down snow which should make it harder to melt in warmer temperatures.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, hope you enjoyed your trip, be good to see a full report when you get a chance

Haste Ye Back Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Visited Glenshee today.

Snow was fantastic, but oh my, was it busy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blizzard conditions at Perth at the moment Shocked

Glasgow here we come lol
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Blizzard conditions at Perth at the moment Shocked

Ooops, that'll be more snow for the mountains ... coz they may be running short Wink
Quote:
Glasgow here we come lol

At least you wont hit the rush hour this time - best of luck getting through!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott, a whiteout in the central belt now, looks like you will track this band of snow all the way down across the border.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The roads here are a joke. People abandoning their cars all over the shot Laughing
latest report
 brian
brian
Glenshee was brilliant today. Whiteout on drive up, blue sky when we got there. Bizarre. Now sat in kinross services contemplating return to central belt disaster zone. Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Trying to get in an out of kinross services eariler in the week was a lot of fun Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
came up from North Wales today with the plan of Genshee in the morning then hop over to aviemore and stay the night the ski aviemore tuesday then home tuesday night. Well that was the plan, left at 4:30am got to Glasgow by 8:45am ish then onto the M80. Where we stayed for about 3hrs and moved a grand total of 1mile. The M80 was then closed north bound and also the M9 and we also heard the A9 was not moving. We managed to get back onto the M73 before they closed it also. So all in all had a over 13hr drive and got no where. We are now back in North Wales.

Hey ho.
ski holidays
The news is full of chaos in central scotland tonight - I'm glad right now that we live in the soft south. All that weather was clearly forecast - severe weather warnings galore when I looked first thing this morning.
latest report
 brian
brian
pam w, aye but last night they were saying patchy light snow! Home now thanks to the wonder that is google maps live traffic. wink
snow report
Don't know what you lot are on about. Looks fine here Toofy Grin
ski holidays
brian, time for a drop of something warming?
latest report
Quote:

The news is full of chaos in central scotland tonight - I'm glad right now that we live in the soft south. All that weather was clearly forecast - severe weather warnings galore when I looked first thing this morning.

When we checked last night it was showing light snow showers, And again at 3:30am before we left light snow shower poss heavy snow shower and not theheavy blizzard which we had.
snow report
We have just got a bed in the Premier Inn about an hour ago after sleeping on the bench in the pub next door overnight. Took us about 4 hours to get through to Glasgow. Not sure what to do as advice is not to travel Sad People have been stuck in stopped traffic on the Motorways since yesterday morning!
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, oh poor you!!! Sad I would think you'll have to stay there for a wee while at least, until the motorways get moving again. What a horrible end to your weekend. At least you weren't stuck in your car overnight - that must be truly miserable!
snow report
cathy, Woman on the radio, 8 months pregnant and a one year old in the car - no food or drink since yesterday morning! It really is a disgrace. How can they have people stuck on motorways for 24 hours in this day and age? I'm considering myself fairly lucky - but really want to get home and see my girls now Sad
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Much sympathy Sad , hope you manage to get moving again soon.
On the bright side, it sounds like your skiing at Cairngorm was successful, and it sounds like you'll be able to dine out on the story of your epic trip back! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, if people don't heed warnings to not travel, they have to face up to the prospect that they might get stuck. The woman was extremely reckless to venture out against advice, to not take supplies and to put her children at risk like that.

Glad to hear you are both OK, was wondering where you were when it all went quiet. Hope you get home OK. snowHead
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, Safe journey home. Glasgow is on the news here.

Just checking the Traffic Scotland site it seems that if you can clear Glasgow things should be OK. If you have not already seen it: http://trafficscotland.org/map/index.aspx#
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, if people don't heed warnings to not travel, they have to face up to the prospect that they might get stuck. The woman was extremely reckless to venture out against advice, to not take supplies and to put her children at risk like that.

Glad to hear you are both OK, was wondering where you were when it all went quiet. Hope you get home OK. snowHead

Actually I didnt hear any of that advice - the travel news was saying Blizzard Conditions in Perth thats why we came the longer Glasgow way. Glasgow was not expecting the snow it got and that is why it was chaos.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe a mod might want to split this thread and chuck the traffic bit in the apres zone?

Just went here and searched M74 - made me chuckle Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, we are at J1 of the M74 - but this is causing me concern

Quote:
M74 South Lanarkshire - Partially blocked both ways due to broken down lorries between J5, Raith Interchange and J6, Hamilton, congestion to J8, Canderside,

apparently the traffic news is saying its crazy around Hamilton - not sure whether to go and try and by-pass it or just sit tight?
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, sorry to hear about your travel problems - was thinking of you guys when I heard the news of the chaos and hoping you weren't caught up in it Sad

depthjunkie, sorry to hear about your aborted trip too but looking on the bright side at least you got home even if it took you hours...

Ray Zorro, they're quite right - this blizzard was not predicted in the west and that's why such chaos ensued - everyone stuck in it has had incredibly bad luck and couldn't have heeded any warnings siince there were none to heed.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
apparently the traffic news is saying its crazy around Hamilton - not sure whether to go and try and by-pass it or just sit tight?

Have to admit I'd be tempted to hunker down for a bit and relax after yesterday - if they're still reporting chaos and advising people stay at hime it's probably not going to be pleasant heading out - I think ice is another issue, they reprted -18 overnight on the breakfast news this morning.

Shame you're not stuck in/around edinburgh, I hear there's awesome lift served powder skiing at Hillend right now but you're probably closer to the Braehead fridge which is plain boring in comparison Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

sit tight

That's gotta be the option. A leisurely breakfast and read the papers until the situation improves and you have better info. No point racing towards a jam.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Did you go skiing?

roga, yes. Will sit tight for now Sad
snow report
brian, our drive from Aviemore to Glasgow was great - blue skies almost all the way. Stunning views. Saw Glenbogle lol
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, no, that one pushed back to late Jan.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, To be fair to the lady there never was a forecast of such heavy snow and there never was any advice not to travel until it was far too late. No offence to you but it is very interesting to see the effects of the spin the media put on their reports reflected in your opinion of the plight of this lady and many others.

On Sunday night there was a weather warning for wintry showers away from the coasts with a possibility of 2-5cm of snow between 5 am and 10am. When I got up at 7am it was raining. By 8.30 it was heavy sleet, by 9 it was snow and by 10 a full blown snow storm the intensity of which I have not seen (apart from in the alps) for many years.

By the time the problem was apparent everybody was either at work or well on their way to where they were going of a Monday morning.

We have had lying snow and ice for 11 consecutive days now and actual snowfall of varying amounts on 9 of those days. Renfrewshire Council has not yet properly cleared the main road off which the estate I live in is situated. To give you some idea of the magnitude of that comment that main road is an ambulance route on which there are the red and white H signs for the A & E dept of the hospital about half a mile away.

Life in the peoples republic of Scotland is depressing these days but it is increasingly clear that one of the most severe cuts that has been made by councils this year is to their gritting and snow clearing capacity. Combine this with Strathclyde Police's decision to reduce the traffic police complement by 75% it is not surprising to see the effects of both of these showing over the last 24 hours.

Because of last week events employees every where are under pressure from their employers to get to work. I'm Ok as I'm self employed and can please myself. My wife works for the local health board, which is the largest in Scotland, with tens of thousands of employees. She is in an admin post and it took that health board until after 3pm to decide to let people leave, by which time it had stopped snowing, was getting dark and and starting to freeze. She is lucky she can walk home. The practice of which I'm a part let the staff leave at 11am and it still took one of them until 6.30 pm to get about 10 miles to her home.

So don't blame people for being out and about yesterday, at the time they made that decision there was no apparent problem and even if they thought there was, their employers almost certainly would not have agreed Shocked

I for one blame the Scottish Government and Local Authorities and the AGW bampots who advised them that last winter was the one in a hundred year winter and that it wouldn't happen again in this era of so called climate change!

Scottish elections are next May, if this carries on then the current incumbents are probably finished- if they weren't already. It won't make any difference though we'll just get another set of Westminster has-beens, never-would-have-beens and over-promoted councillors to play the fantasy government game that is devolution Mad
snow conditions
got up for work yesterday, got bus at 7.30, all fine. arrived at work then it started snowing and didn't stop until 3pm. All buses in Edinburgh were cancelled, no body ever remembers this happening before, crazy!
ski holidays
robboj, Laughing good rant. I'd suspect a few large grit orders have just gone in Laughing
snow conditions
So might this probable third hard winter indicate a possible slowing of the Gulf stream? Is there any evidence?
ski holidays
It sounds as though there was some kind of major cock-up on the short term forecasting front. But this weather, and that it was going to go on, is nothing new (they should all have been reading snowheads).

I live in the very softest bit of the soft south and haven't been out without plenty of warm clothes (never know when you might have to get out of your car on a motorway) and plenty of back up food and drink for the last week. I've also kept tank topped up to be able to run engine and keep warm (I did that one night, all night, in a French ski resort car park). Having a diabetic husband means I'm always a bit mindful of the need to be prepared, but anybody in a car with a small child, in current conditions, without supplies, is, frankly, a numpty. Do we really need a "government" to tell us what our own experience and commonsense should tell us? One moment people are moaning about "nanny states" and the next moment moaning because nanny didn't tell them not to go out without their liberty bodices. Sure, some people needed to be out on the road, to get to work, to keep things moving. But there were also an awful lot of people out there who definitely didn't need to be.
snow conditions
scotia, Thanks, feel better now Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy