Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Scotland tomorrow????????

Poster: A snowHead
To Aviemore - going skiing for a few days in the Cairngorms. Looking for sources of info for road closures etc. A friend in Perth has seriously freaked me out that we wont be able to get there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shimmy Alcott, http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/ updates regularly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, snowing again here in the central belt problems on m8 & m9 snow easing off tomorrow but you will deffo need to check before you leave things up in the air ( pardon pun) here and changing all the time . Edinburgh airport shut again.
Hope you make it and have a great time snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What was that line the Police, RAC, AA, Met Office and the Media keep repeating?

Something about essential travel?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, snow tyres will help although they won't stop the idiot(s) in front getting themselves stuck!

Try also asking folk on Winterhighland about conditions on the way up, many are/have been driving it so they know more than many.

Also a good source of info and road webcams is: http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

Best of luck Very Happy

BTW, remind me, how long are you up - are you around on the weekend of the 11th?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you got chains or even snowsox for the Porsche?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Voice of Reason wrote:
What was that line the Police, RAC, AA, Met Office and the Media keep repeating?

Something about essential travel?

Um, I'm a snowHead this is essential.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, afraid not - we come home on Monday 6th.

Could always send ph to Halfords for chins/sox - are sox much cop? Are they less hassle to fit than chains?

We're going in the Audi (S4) which some people on here said recently handled really well in the snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did live a year in Michigan so had to drive on snow for months on end.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shimmy Alcott, it's for the best that you let ph drive as you don't want to be taking any unnecessary risks in these conditions. All the schools are closed and the rail services are cancelled here this morning but it doesn't look like we've had too much snowfall.

It's about -4 just now and the forecast as of this evening is for no snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Almost another foot of the stuff on top of the almost 2 foot that we already had over night. Roads are a mess this morning through the central belt.

M74 was also closed this morning and the snow just keeps falling.

Good luck. If you do make it, i may see you on the Cairngorm slopes over the weekend!

Remember, there'll always be other snow days (maybe not quite like this though) and your safety is the most important thing here.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scotia, oh, how I laughed

shoogly, the forecast says no snow for the next few days (1cm TBH), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, we haven't got anywhere near that Sad

Shimmy Alcott, I don't know wht the road is like from Fort William --> Cairngorms but if you can clarify that you might be better off heading through Glencoe than up the A9.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Shimmy Alcott, Perth has just had around 10cm of the lightest powder last night and still snowing , main routes through town are OK , i.e buses running , I doubt anybody is getting to Glenshee today from the Perth side. However looking at http://trafficscotland.org/currentincidents/index.aspx the A9 looks fine an looking at the rainfall (snow) http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/ it is pretty much east coast. Dont know where you are coming from , but the M74 , A9 should be fine. Maybe worth asking on http://www.winterhighland.info/ for driving conditions today on the a9 and the ski road upto Cairngorm. My first priority is to get my car out of my road ,Snowsocks already on so should be a doddle. son and I are of upto Cairngorm tomorrow , assuming schools are off again. Maybe see you up there.

Here is a photo of my street at 10am this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56553868@N04/5223448974/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scot_Ski, OMG that is awesome! Will send ph to get some snow sox from Halfords I think.
ski holidays
further up things are fine by the way, the trouble seems to be down around the central belt and up to Perth. Around Aviemore itself is fine (incl A9 down as far as Newtonmore) though very cold this morning making things a little slippy but no real addition to the snow overnight. Ski road up the hill wasnt great the past few days but was up there last night and is much improved. Socks or an old bit of carpet might be worth it to get yourself going out of the car park up the hill though
Traffic Scotland as mentioned above is good, another good one is the website for Moray Firth Radio(MFR), which shows road status's accross the hilghlands. If you are using traffic sctoland - the webcams are the best source really as I've found that the status updates can be a bit delayed. COmbne that with MFR you cant go far wrong.

if you get stuck anywhere near aviemore, gimme a shout and me and Herbie will come tow you out!
Where did you end up staying? THe road over towards Boat wasnt great either a few days ago but will be much better now

MFR travel link: http://www.mfr.co.uk/Article.asp?id=566853

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-12-10 11:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info guys.
snow report
Roads are bad enough that it's bloody stopped Frank Turner getting up to Aberdeen for his gig tomorrow, dude needs to mtfu!
ski holidays
Forth Bridge has now been closed in both directions... due to weight of snow on the bridge! Never happened before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-11886882

I think this winter is going to put even last years snow fall in the shade!
snow report
roga wrote:
Also a good source of info and road webcams is: http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

Got back last night after going up Sunday, /\/\ that website has been a essential during the whole trip! Perth has had it bad, as the A9 and M90 both got closed on our way up the only way to the remainder of the A9 to Aviemore was through Perth town centre which saw us stuck on an incline resulting in muggins here pushing the car up while the driver just keep his foot on the gas! The jouney home saw the A9 reopen (and the M90 which then closed again, jack-knifed lorrie) and was running ok...however if they get any more snow a couple of accidents could see the A9 close again!

Keep changing to local radio and if you can keep checking www.traficscotland.org

You are gonna have it great the snow is perfect! Bear in mind if Cairngorm closes (due to funicular or access roads) the Lecht is not far from Aviemore, enjoy!
snow conditions

The A9 from Aviemore to Perth yesterday

The A9 from Perth towards Glasgow yesterday
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys.

Spoke to my friend who lives in shap, highest point of the M6 and he said it is awful up there, very deep snow and -8 already, this was at 3pm today. My brother is in edinburgh and he send me a picture and the snow must be 50cm deep. Be carefull going up there, if you do get there the skiing must be amazing. just watched BBC news and tomorrow they are predicting lows of -25 that is pretty serious!!! Good luck, pack the essentials within easy reach of the car and take your time, oh, and lots of pictures!!! snowHead
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, I just drove Perth to cairngorm and back today. The A9 was fine, worst problem was frozen windscreen washers even though i was using concentrate. It was -16 in Aviemore and a balmy -5 in Perth. The skiing is very very good, just needs a wee improvement in visability, very cold on the lifts too, Watch out for Deer on the road on the A9 anywhere from pitlochry on, We had a full on emegency stop for a bambi on the way home. take it easy and have fun!
snow report
 brian
brian
Think it would be worth going M74->A725->M8->A82->A86 from the south at the moment. Will be an incredibly scenic drive as well.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, do take care!
latest report
brian wrote:
Think it would be worth going M74->A725->M8->A82->A86 from the south at the moment. Will be an incredibly scenic drive as well.

+1. Just wasn't sure what the A86 stretch would be like. Lock the car doors when you're going through Glasgow though.
ski holidays
scotia, the car doors lock automatically Laughing
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Hope you get there ok and have a great time snowHead .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotia wrote:
brian wrote:

+1. Just wasn't sure what the A86 stretch would be like. Lock the car doors when you're going through Glasgow though.
Happy

A82 is fine. if you go up the fife road you will be in aq tailback. Fastest I hit today at Livingston was 30mph. Further west it was 50-55mph

So going up the A82 is a lot longer but may be about the same and le3ss hastle.
snow conditions
Drove back from Aviemore to Moffat Weds evening. Aviemore itself is very snowy. Glenmore road to mountain is fine (dry blowing snow). As DaveMcSki said, A9 is black from Aviemore to Perth. M90 from Perth to Edinburgh was white with only single lane useable. Edinburgh to Moffat (A702/A701) was white all the way.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
roga, afraid not - we come home on Monday 6th.

Ah well have a great time and best of luck with the drive Very Happy
ski holidays
http://trafficscotland.org/weather/list.aspx#affected-routes

so looking at that if we follow brian's route we should be ok?

Got blanket, grit/snowmelt stuff, torch, plenty of scrrenwash, food and drink, plenty of warm clothes, phones fully charged, sat nav and atlas and route planned on paper too.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, I take it the atlas will be used to dig you out if you get stuck?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, sacking to put under the wheels? The hessian shopping bags are ideal. oh and a Shovel.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Pack a shovel. Have fun Laughing

BTW shouldn't you have set off by now Little Angel
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, winter tyres?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, a helmet?
snow report
not sure about the A86 part but have at it - lovely drive if you do come that way, you pass by Glenbogle (monarch of the glen) - stunning around there
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Jockanese/English phrase book?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, WHERE ARE YOU? Hope she's not stuck in a snowdrift somewhere .......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy