Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
snowprincess wrote:
I reckon the only way things could be any worse would be if we lost the sunshine.

Best not look at the forecast for Sun/Mon/Tues on meteoblue then.

FWIW Pierre a Ric at 4pm has been in as good a condition as it ever gets these last 2 days. I have been known to download on the cable car as the run is normally an accident waiting to happen (combo of cut up snow, ice patches, slow skiers, 'freeride' dudes & dudettes trying to ski fast through the gaps...)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
rockyrobin, I think it has been pretty balanced.

No-one is suggesting things are great, nor that it's been anything other than a poor start to the season, but I've seen it worse, much worse and my clients still had a good time.

It's far from crap. How many seasons have you skied? Have you ever really seen crap?

Exactly

rockyrobin and snowprincess No one is pretending that conditions are amazing, but crap? That’s a bit strong, I still finish every day here (on the lift down) with a smile on my face. Home or Cham? Right now I know where I’d rather be and isn’t that some of the point of reading this thread? So that people worrying about their holidays get some perspective? You wouldn’t dream about these conditions, but crap it’s NOT.

I’m not some evangelical chalet owner, just a punter fortunate enough to spend a lot of time out here. I couldn’t careless if no one comes, more space for me, but come on, the sun is BEATING down, it’s been beautiful here today, I’ve skied all afternoon in shades, bare-headed and jacketless, just as if it were April. How crap is that? The sun is shining, the skiing is good enough to make you (me anyway) smile, the food is cheesy, the beer tastes just as good. What’s not to enjoy? It’s not our divine right to ski pow everyday (or even every season), as my learned friend Sideshow_Bob says, if you can’t enjoy what the OP offers then get some sharp edged race skis and make the most of the on-piste conditions, it could be worse, you could be at home!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ww166no, I am at home!!!! Sad Unfortunately I decided to move here and not to Japan (where the snow actually falls on a regular basis).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A couple of photos from today.

This is the black piste from the top of GM

This is the red run from the Bochard.

Didn't want to start a ruck, conditions are not great, but they are imo OK, beautiful sunshine compensates quite a bit for the snow.
P.S I sharpen my edges every day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I am at home!!!! Unfortunately I decided to move here

You might just be losing the sympathy vote now rockyrobin, . . . . Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin, my friend, then you haven't seen crap... and this is not crap...

snowprincess, OK fair do's, it's not a boarding nor a (probably) inexperienced perspective. I am going to suggest though that you've been spoiled... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Try skiing a few seasons in Scotland and then compare with what we have at the moment! I mean, Whistler (well. maybe not), Jackson, Verbier, Val d'espair, all presumably in recent years when snow has been plentiful. No wonder you think it's crap.

In my day, we were lucky to have a few snow fences to hold the drifts back, and you soon got used to pulling heather out of your teeth, or elsewhere if she'd had a drink, sharpening your edges on the last rocks for the next icy patch, etc. etc, in curmudgeonly fashion....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob, looks OK to me, better than sitting at my desk rewriting contracts and cold calling, IMV
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, I've skied in Scotland more than i've skied mainland Europe, getting a good day there was a rare treat, but there you expect that. Here in a world class resort my expectations are a little higher. I'm actually curious as to why people come to Europe for skiing like this when the chance of good snow is so much higher in Western USA/Canada and Japan? I am here because I can work here, but if I was going on a holiday I would be elsewhere.

jbob, Nice pictures. I sharpen my edges daily too. The way conditions are going at the moment i'll have sharpened them away to nothing before long!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rockyrobin, yeah, well, I'm not taking time off work to go skiing round here right now.

Quote:

I'm actually curious as to why people come to Europe for skiing like this when the chance of good snow is so much higher in Western USA/Canada and Japan

I can't comment about Japan but that's not strictly true. Same old story trotted out in 1988-1991 but guess what the entire skiing public didn't up sticks and increase skiing rates in the US - most of the time European snow is actually generally pretty good.

Also, do bear in mind what the average holiday skier is looking for. Right now, as long as you have edges and know how to use them, it;s pretty ideal for many people: firm flat snow, no bumps, sunny, warm, etc, etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name,

Oh come on, the snow's crap, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. It is the worst season for years. We've been lucky in some previous seasons where we've had lots of early snow followed by weeks of high pressure. This year just no decent early snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zzz, blah blah blah

just cos you bought noo skeez
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't understand why folk can't just enjoy the snow, even if it may not be as good as it could be. Sitting here in the UK listening to those slating the conditions .... want to swap? Didn't think so ....

Kersh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It is the worst season for years.

Not true, 2006/7 was far worse.

And now, this simply glorious, fantastic, orgasmic, weather does help make up for the lack of perfect snow. Have you ever had to ski in the pouring rain? Now that IS crap.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,

I'm loving the sun, not complaining. Just not skiing much. I'd like to see the stats re 2006/7 because I'm not convinced. I wouldn't ski in the pouring rain anymore.

Kersh,

I used to live in the UK, I chose to leave.

under a new name,

Have you been on the pop?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zzz, Christmas 2006, and into New Year, the snow was very, very, thin. We arrived in Les Saisies on New Year's Eve and I've never seen such terrible conditions - all the pistes into the village were open, but were brownish white stripes down the hill. Truly grim. Our keen kids went out snowboarding, and we went to bed early after long drive. Then overnight there was a really good dump of snow that did us well for the next week or so.
By 27 January the view from our apartment was like the picture on the left.

Christmas and New Year this season were pretty good - and two further small but welcome dumps in January kept things going (some places got a fair bit more than we did, I think). Even now, after the long snow drought and some blisteringly hot weather, we still have more snow than in Jan 2007 (picture on right). We're close to Chamonix and the PDS as the crow flies, and in much the same weather system.
latest report
zzz wrote:
I used to live in the UK, I chose to leave.

Good choice wink ... but less reason to complain.
snow report
zzz, you have to expect some seasons to be less good than others.
ski holidays
zzz, disappointingly, while I have had a glass or two, we have mostly been drinking an unusually (for me) expensive Amarone that, err, one of the, errr, locals had for "sale" at a recent Italian excursion.

I think I have been had.

It wasn't one of her ladyship's locals I hasten to add, but nonetheless...
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:

jbob, Nice pictures. I sharpen my edges daily too. The way conditions are going at the moment i'll have sharpened them away to nothing before long!

Thanks.

We need to move on, thats my mate Jock (any guesses where he learned to ski) in the photos, he would welcome any hints or tips on his skiing style, the inner tip lead is a given.

Must get back to the filing, big day tomorrow.
snow conditions
Sorry jbob, failing to move on . . . .

It does seem that (within this thread) it's only the saisonaires who think conditions here are unendurably bad. . . . .

pam w and Kersh, quite so

jbob, wouldn't presume to critique Jock's technique, but pm me if you'd like to see some bits of GM OP that don't suck. Very Happy
snow report
pam w,

Gosh piccies from 2007 really do paint a grim scene. I do remember that year being bad but time has clearly dulled my failing memory. The seasons all fade into one after a while. I'm very cool with the snow as it is and the sun we've had. It is nice to have had warm weather after the last two long cold seasons. I'm also fortunate to be into a bit of paragliding so I've simply taken to the skies for the last couple of weeks where conditions have been excellent for the time of year, so, Kersh, not complaining.

Now I don't want to be the harbinger of doom, BUT, whilst in Chamonix yesterday I bumped into a friend who is mates with one of the local weather gurus who does a little forecasting for some of the local climbing and touring expeditions. I know it's a bit of a tenuous link. His prediction was for no serious snowfall in February. The way the models are looking he may be right.

under a new name, disappointing. Don't worry about saving some for me.
snow report
Quote:

I'm also fortunate to be into a bit of paragliding so I've simply taken to the skies for the last couple of weeks where conditions have been excellent for the time of year

It must be fabulous up there zzz, what a great option, where're you flying from/to? Very Happy
snow report
ww166no, It is fabulous up there. Generally as far and high as possible.
Very Happy
snow report
zzz, Flegere seems popular. I saw a group of 6 or so paragliders go from the top of the Lavancher bowl a couple of times earlier in the week and fly all together, low, right down the bowl before heading off, i guess towards les Chosalets. V nice, enjoy your day Very Happy
ski holidays
zzz, you of all people should know how tenuous longer range forecasting is...

Stop winding people up.

Me most of all.
snow conditions
under a new name, Cool sorry
snow report
http://ski-chamonix.webnode.com/news/a7-semaines-sans-neige-une-saison-compliquee/
This is how it is in Chamonix now Crying or Very sad
snow report
freeheelskier, thats quite a gloomy picture they are painting...
Interestingly, the 6 people I skied with in & around the Chamonix valley last week all commented on how good conditions were compared to the reports in the press... ( And before you start, my winter is pretty much full so I have no need to talk up the snow for business reasons (neither do I own an expensive apartment (cf 'most snow in europe' thread..)))

No there isn't powder everywhere, yes cover is thin low down, but what snow there is is actually quite skiable and taking the Grands Montets for example, the only run /off piste closed is the very bottom of the Lavancher bowl area (and even then the offpiste is quite skiable down to the bottom, for those happy to skin for 20 mins).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It is the worst season for years.

Not true, 2006/7 was far worse.

And now, this simply glorious, fantastic, orgasmic, weather does help make up for the lack of perfect snow. Have you ever had to ski in the pouring rain? Now that IS crap.

Snowfall across the European Alps was above-average in the early season from Nov to mid-Dec 2010.

Snowfall has been way below-average since mid-Dec 2010 through mid-Feb 2011.

Global warming has not gone away.

Total snowfall in the European Alps has been declining by about 5% a decade since the 1980s. That trend is clearly continuing.
snow conditions
offpisteskiing, U dont now about good skiing,, its skiable,, stupid coments,
snow conditions
freeheelskier,

You been at the Genepi again?
latest report
Skier that go to chamonix to ski Grand Montets, they are very good skier, not alot go there to ski the slopes, for pistskiing there is many better place to ski, all over te alps, to Chamonix skier coming from all over the world to ski offpist, can someone here recomended to a australian skier Chamonix now if U know that he want to ski offpist Puzzled Today there is a blue sky here ,, I have a work 2 days from monday in Passy, but my skis still is in the car, I will see if the snow coming, and I will ski on wednesday Very Happy
snow report
freeheelskier wrote:

Wind your neck in freeheelskier,,,,,,,,,,,, you obviously know nothing about me so I would suggest you keep your 'stupid comments' to yourself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

freeheelskier wrote:
Skier that go to chamonix to ski Grand Montets, they are very good skier,
Questionable at times,,,,,,,,
Quote:
not alot go there to ski the slopes, for pistskiing there is many better place to ski, all over te alps, to Chamonix skier coming from all over the world to ski offpist,

Well,,, thanks for clearing that up,,,,, I really had no idea about that. Obviously you have much to teach me,,,, oh wise one,,,,,,,
Quote:
can someone here recomended to a australian skier Chamonix now if U know that he want to ski offpist

Not quite sure of your exact meaning, but South side of Col D'Entreves, Couloir Caché (if you have to ask you don't know), SW of the Passon, Col des Autannes have all given very good skiing in the last week (first hand reports). Maybe not powder everywhere (apart from Caché), but there is more to life than powder.

Quote:
I have a work 2 days from monday in Passy

Thats a shame, I was staying with friends in Passy last week. Maybe we could have met up for a comma-fuelled drink to sort things out! Toofy Grin
latest report
offpisteskiing, U give us a big laught, Thanks Laughing Laughing Laughing But we are lucky in the sun Very Happy
snow conditions
freeheelskier wrote:

I suspect that since English is not your native language that your posts can sometimes be read the wrong way but you may want to rephrase that one.

You only have to watch some of offpisteskiing's videos to see that not only does he know about good skiing but he also skis some extreme terrain. So, when the man says something is skiable I trust that he knows what he's talking about (and he has friends who like to hike up the mountain in Brikenstocks but that's another story...) Toofy Grin

Tower Gully - A summer ski descent from Simon Christy
http://vimeo.com/14539845
latest report
Oh and let's hope yesterday's snow dance in Chamonix has some effect!

http://vimeo.com/19866247
snow conditions
Zero-G, I must say, nice video, with good skier wink
snow report
Fantastic, Crusty the Fire Juggler should put things right, earth child that he is, TW@t
latest report
freeheelskier, so you HAD been at the Genepi then?
ski holidays
Zero-G quite handy that they waited until there was some snow in the forecast to do a snowdance Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy