Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Grands Montets is open at the weekends. Only Bochard today but some good snow around

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69783&highlight=
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bring it on. Are those Gotamas?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob, looks like the Kuros, unless he's been shopping.

Looks like Chris in the link is on Gots.

Nice btw. I'm counting down the days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stunning photos, once again.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice! Good again today Smile

Grands Montets opening, Nov 28 2010

Grands Montets opening, Nov 28 2010

Not bad for November! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, great conditions for this time of year. 26 more sleeps and I'll be there - save some snow for me!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks awesome, delighted to see that. I'm there for two weeks from the 18th December.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grands Montets today:

Much, much better than anticipated. Everything somewhat variable. Pistes in great nick for this time of year. Off piste some rocks showing through. Skier's-right of Hearse absolutely delightful. Lots of little stashes of slightly cut, slightly blown "powder". Few bump lines beginning to develop...

Had a great afternoon.

New boots rather fine too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived last weekend (Dec 12th) expecting the worst after the sudden punch of warm rain, but was pleasantly surprised that so much was okay. I'd expected boiler plate off piste and locked solid crud, but it was all pretty acceptable Monday and Tuesday on Grands Montets, particularly as the sky was so blue. Wednesday in Courmayeur was tougher - very cold, minus seventeen, pretty icy, and none of the small snowfall on the north had made its way around Mont Blanc.

But Friday back in Chamonix more than made up for that. Bit of a delay at the bottom as they secured the pistes, but the snow was amazing, big, big flakes, with the trees all laden down and the wind seemingly arestricted to the other side of the hill. Couldn't see much for a while, but frankly didn't care.

One question - why does Chamonix open so little before Dec 18th ?

It seemed both cheap and mean sprited to charge a whack for a ski pass that accessed a gondola, some bubbles, and a couple of chairs .....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
- As above - great snow this weekend in the CHX valley - Le Tour on Saturday was great, with soft snow, and just the occasional trap of wind-cleared hard-pack to keep you honest... loads of familiar faces from the Valley out & about & avoiding the weekend scrum at the GM.
We went leftfield on Sunday and headed for a short tour up the Petite Croisse Baulet above Combloux to escape the forecast of lowering cloud level & strong winds. Great powder to be found on the descent down to La Giettaz, though definitely a little thin at the bottom - top up required now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FranzKlammer, often much more opens. This year the snow didn't allow it.

2 years ago we spent the weekend of 13/14 Dec in Les Houches skiing knee deep powder, and everything was open.

The year before we spent the equivalent weekend skiing Fleger one day and GMs the next and the only thing not open was the Brevent Flegere link.

I'm afraid you were just unlucky.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well we tried to go to Grands Montets around 11h00 (already the Brevent Car Park appeared full judging by the grim miens of the Gendarmes at the bottom of the hill). And GMs looked like a bit of a zoo, with an unusually long queue for the first chair.

So we tootled back down the valley to Les Houches where we sneaked into a car spot at Prarion.

Lift lines all remarkably light, as is the snow cover in places (nothing you wouldn't expect).

Disappointed also that "Le Terrain", a delightfully rustic restaurant, is no more. The World's Greatest Tartiflette has left the Alps*. Still a restaurant there, but not as lovely.

On a better note, "Le Hors Piste" seems to finally have sorted out how to serve food quickly and efficiently, and has Mont Blanc Blonde on draught. Yum.

*in the opinion of my OH and several chums.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know what the Berard valley is like at the moment? Especially the exit. It was ok this time last year but this?

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went over to check out Grands Montets today.

Some nice drifted snow in the Pendant bowl

Sun popped out above the peaks in the afternoon. Good chalky stuff under Herse

Cable Car lift was around 45 mins all day so didn't bother. The higher you go the better so there will be some nice stuff at the top. It had rained below around 2000m so Pierre a Ric was boilerplate but other than that pretty reasonable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
b]BobinCH[/b], looks nice, we were skiing bumps in Champoluc which was really rather nice too.
ski holidays
Perfect day yesterday, epic skies, fresh powder! Photo of my other half by our friend Jules ( http://www.julesmayphotography.com/ )

Perfect day at Le Tour, Chamonix
snow report
Quote:

Cable Car lift was around 45 mins all day so didn't bothe

Shocked Result of having the best snow for miles around, I suppose.
ski holidays
Looks like it's snowing up top now on the webcams. I hope the snow stays good for when I get there on Saturday!
snow report
Just had 2 awesome days over on the Hellbronner & in Courmayeur - fully 50cm of fresh to play in.

Altogether now... 1,2,3 - Hurrah for the Magic Tunnel!!!

Ross takes his Kuros & heads into orbit:

Photo courtesy Rob Jarvis/Highland Guides
snow report
Some more photos form the Italian side (Chamonix snow report still seems most appropriate though...).

Couloir Passerelle on the Hellbronner:

Courmayeur:

Worth noting that by the end of the day it was drizzling lightly to just above the bottom of Zerrotta & the snow was very heavy down towards the bottom of Val Veny on the ski out.
Friends who went up the Hellbronner on Weds morning turned back & came down saying it was all a bit heavy, had taken some wind & felt a bit dangerous..
snow report
offpisteskiing, looks good Cool shame about the ski Sad
ski holidays
Looking forward to hearing next weeks snow report and then it seems a decision as to which side fo the tunnel to ski w/c 22nd Jan..?

Thanks guys Smile
snow conditions
Barratschamonix, The north side is looking a bit like this:

Col des Cristaux:

Sweaty boot-packing:

Contemplation:

Good packed powder:

Still good:

More of this please!

On a vaguely serious note, we stopped about 100m below the col as the top layers were becoming more dense & slabby & with recent S winds we figured the higher we went the more pronounced this effect would be. The classic North facing descents are looking in amazing conditions for this time of year, but there is a lot of fresh snow hanging up there... Looks like a spell of settled weather coming though, so could be good for anyone wanting a bit of early season steep action.
ski holidays
going to be in chamonix by tomorrow afternoon, glad its snowed a bit. hope we get a bit more in the next week, bettergo and pack
snow report
offpisteskiing, Great stuff. That looks fab but Col des Cristaux is a long slog, non? Any idea of Grand Envers or Argentiere lift served conditions?
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, good stuff! had the col des cristaux recommended as a good intro to proper Chamonix-style steep skiing. might have to drag myself up there, climb the first 50m, s41t myself and sideslip down at some point Cool
latest report
BobinCH, GM looked all quite well skied out from the lift - heavy slightly wind affected powder skiing down to the glacier to start skinning (and yes, long slog...); retour pendant shut at the mo due to lack of snow (I believe). Would imagine Grand Envers will have turned in the sun & heat today (v.mild) but no 1st hand reports..

Arno, no problem for you if you get it in good condition... only slightly more exposed feeling than Cairn or Canadians as it is more of a face than a couloir, so a bit more 'airy'..
ski holidays
BobinCH, just had an email from a mate who skied petit Envers yesterday - described it as both 'good' and 'a bit crusty'.... make of that what you will.

Back to work for me now...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
schweet = nice to get that in the bag in january!!
snow report
offpisteskiing, thanks. Decided to stick to Verbier. Lift served was still pretty good today.
snow conditions
offpisteskiing, just watched the movie of ye guys skiing in Scotland in June.. love it great atmosphere and really captured the spirit of it all especially the dip in the river at the end! I would have needed that dip badly to wash my underwear if I was skiing in that!!!!!!!!!!! In Chamonix February 5th but reckon the freeride week is just a bit above my league! Will definitely try a course sometime though! Great pics here as well Thanks!
latest report
Skied on piste at Le Tour yesterday - hig up was nice, lower down icy, bottom run heavy.

Out here for the season (but nowhere to live yet.. Confused )
latest report
Can anyone recommend an English avi forecast site for the Chamonix area?

I've not had much luck with the 'official' French sites - unless I'm missing something.
snow report
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Haute-Savoie-Avalanche-Bulletin

Which is a translation of http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagnebulletinneige/DEPT74
snow report
BobinCH, Cheers.
snow report
A question for any Chamonix experts.....

My husband is in the Grand Massif for a long weekend. They always like to spend a day in another resort, usually PDS but as conditions there are not great atm they thought they might try Chamonix. They're all very good skiers, not looking for off piste but just want somewhere for a days on piste skiing with a nice lunch. Where would be best Puzzled

Thanks
snow report
Just got back from week boarding in Cham. Forecasted snow didn't show... blue skies all week. Spent most time in grand mont, fleg and le praz. Some lower slopes closed and off piste was no fun but overall great time was had. No new snow on way 4 while apparently and boarding freeride comp has been moved to Italy.
snow conditions
Been in cham now two weeks. We had a mini dump when we arrived but little since. It rained up to 2200m so all the off piste up to this height is pants, refrozen wet snow.
Off piste above this at GM is OK but not great, basically its skied out with a bit of light snow on top with some large moguls forming. On piste the conditions vary, again higher up is
not too bad, especially just after they have been bashed, lower down there is quite a bit of hard pack, a bit like wedding cake icing. The weather has been fantastic with day after day
of blue sky, BUT it is very cold, with -5 to -15 on the mountain. There is a tiny amount of snow forecast for wed and a little more for Sunday. It needs about 60cm...
latest report
I hope to god it puts a bit down as I'm flying out on Saturday
snow conditions
I'm travelling to Europe from the US, and planned to spend March 8-14 at Chamonix. I'm clueless to weather patterns in the Alps, but it doesn't sound good right now. Should I start worrying about the snow conditions? Should I consider changing my plans?

Thanks!

David
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy