Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aravis - Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz etc

Poster: A snowHead
gvj wrote:
If skiing with children take the gondola from the town centre up to Beauregard - lots of nice rolling blues - good view of it on the La Clusaz webcam.

Thanks, will do.
For some reason when we used to go to La Clusaz for day-trips (in the time before children) we'd always head straight for either Etale or Balme - probably for no better reaon than where we ended up parking. So I know we've never been on the Beauregard side. The kids are in lessons 9-11 for the first four days so where we head for will be influenced by where their lessons end.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From Beauregard you could also ski on to La Croix Fry which is a pretty little area,normally quiet with shortish tree lined runs. The long green back to la Clusaz isn't too bad, not much poling and it meanders through some nice chalets and appartments.
Beauregard is as its name suggests, if the sun is out its nice to eat up there to enjoy the great views
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plenty of snow here this week. It would be nice to see more of the sun though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MazDave, Glad you got there ok - what was the drive down like? Have a great time
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drive down was ok on Friday eve until we got to Bethune and the snow added 3 hours to our drive to Laon stopover. Saturday was snowy too but no real problems got to LGB around 4 . Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tons of sun today. Now we need more snow. rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MazDave,
Any fresh stuff fallen today?
Had a look at the webcams & it looks great up top but a tad thin at the bottom.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, it was snowing last night and been coming down lightly all day.
Looking out the window, it seems to have stopped now but there's enough on the balcony for Santa to have left some pretty hefty footprints.
Forecast seems to be more light snow and cold tomorrow then sunny and very cold on Sunday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
View from the apartment window this Christmas morn....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8083545&l=ba17e4c1ec&id=592507655
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots of snow for our last day on the slopes today. Visibility not great but it beats the Queens speech any day in my book. Happy Christmas Snowheads. Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MazDave wrote:
Lots of snow for our last day on the slopes today. Visibility not great but it beats the Queens speech any day in my book. Happy Christmas Snowheads. Happy

Our last day tomorrow so (hopefully) we'll have all this new snow in the forecast sunshine Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Planning a family pootle across Beauregard to Le Croix Fry and Merdassier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sun's come out today after a couple of days of light snow. Temp has plummeted to minus 12c at La Balme today. Conditions mixed but plenty of snow ... for now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Week to go till we arrive, hoping the forecast changes at some point, no liking the look of rain lower down
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back yesterday from a week in LGB. Had a pretty good week all in all. A few bare patches appearing and more snow now would be ideal but still possible to pick out some great skiing. Hopefully the forecast will change to be more favourable for next week. Tried La Giattez for an awayday mid week which was well worth the trip - only about a 40 minute drive over the Col d'Aravis and will definitely be doing that again in Feb.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
loatie, Happy New Year! So glad you guys made it over to this side and had fun snowHead
ski holidays
miranda, Happy New Year to you too - we certainly did have fun, La Giettaz was all you said it would be. Lovely drive over the Col, having driven through the 'mountain village' of La Clusaz which was pretty rammed. Only thing we got caught out by was the massive queue on the way back down which started on the outskirts of La Clusaz and nearly did for the clutch on our car!! Hopefully it was just the fact that it was such a beautiful day and lots of locals were out and about and when we come again the first week in Feb there will be less traffic around. Hope your season is going well. Very Happy
snow conditions
Wet wet wet in the Aravis yesterday... about 10cm of fresh down to Chinaillon village in the morning, but raining heavily to about 100m below top of Lachat during the rest of the day. Pistes holding up, but definitely thin; quite a few of the blacks up top not open though, and off piste very limited... more snow required!

Very good meal (apart from ludicrously slow service) in La Cremaillere in Chinaillon - the Menu Aravis comes highly recommended, just don't plan on getting out too quickly, 1 hr for starters, another 45mins for the main... a bit excessive really as it wasn't all that busy!
snow conditions
Off there on the 15. January, not been for a few years and keeping an eye on the forecast, plenty more rain by the looks of it during the next week with snow mixed in. Hopefully they have a dump just before we arrive!
latest report
offpisteskiing, Have had nice meals in La Cremaillere in the past but our favourite by far now is Hotel L'Alpage opposite. Chantal Masson who owns and runs it is a really lovely hostess and her prices are very good too!!
latest report
I'm looking forward to having a bit of an explore in La Clusaz and Grand Bornand over the weekend of 15th/16th Jan. Any not to be missed areas to ski or places to eat?

... and if (hypothetically speaking of course...) I was looking for lovely chalets for skiing families anywhere to focus on?
snow report
loatie, duly noted for next visit...
snow conditions
Just back from the Aravis tonight - really bizarrely warm weather these last few days - 10 degrees @ 1000m so snow conditions far from ideal last couple of days. Still, forecast looking good for next week and so much quieter now the new year crowds have gone home. Plenty of snow/refrozen slush left on non-south facing slopes to build a good base for later in the season. Moral = if you possibly can - avoid the French holidays (nothing new there then!).
snow conditions
First day yesterday, had light rain / sleet all day

still stayed out till 3pm but then the gloves were a bit wet, still enough slopes were open to have a pretty good day

Today so so so much better, 15-20cm fell overnight meaning more runs were open and the snow was good, lovely powder just off piste in alot of places.
Sun was out at times and visibility was fairly good even though there was low cloud every now and again

more snow forecast for tomorrow so fingers crossed visibility is ok, then i'm off home weds night before it gets warm again

it can handle a little more rain if worst comes to worst but hopefully it'll just stay as it is now until more snow arrives

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 13-01-11 8:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Icy this morning but from midday onwards it dumped, ended up with 3 inches of fresh on every slope

Snowed all the way to town level

things look much better than they did 2 days ago, last day for me tomorrow
snow conditions
snowscreen, Thanks for the updates. Not out again until 5th Feb so a long time to go yet but must confess it's lovely to see the pistes looking refreshed.
ski holidays
Home now, otherhalfs dad is still out there for another 2 weeks though, joys of retirement hey

Yesterday was a great day, nice bright day, cloud cover but not effecting visibility, snow perfect on piste, piste bashed but nice and soft

Was only there 4 days but experienced all sorts of conditions, Bare patchy wet snow, powder day, icy morning then powder in the afternoon, then yesterday powder off piste and lovely soft bashed snow on piste. Slopes were pretty much always dead

Got work soon so only a few quick pics...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Grand%20Bornand/edit6.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Grand%20Bornand/edit5.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Grand%20Bornand/edit4.jpg
snow report
Nice one from under the Marolay chair. Isn't it lovely when you have the place to yourselves
ski holidays
Great photos, I have emailed my group one of them to show the conditions.

I know its warming up over there and it's meant t o be raining today, hopefully there will still be plenty of snow for when we arrive on the 15th. January.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those pics were taken just yesterday so are nice and recent

The red ski road home to grand bornand under the gondola is complete and in good condition, is a little bit of snow built up on the sides of it aswell incase they need to smooth it over and bulk it up a bit

I did it yesterday before catching my flight, 2:30pm and apart from 2 skiers I didn't see anyone else at all during my descent and its quite a long run down
snow conditions
snowscreen wrote:

The red ski road home to grand bornand under the gondola is complete and in good condition, is a little bit of snow built up on the sides of it aswell incase they need to smooth it over and bulk it up a bit

Thats good we did that route when we were last there about five years ago, but it was very icy and quite unpleasant at times.

We have passes that cover La Clusaz as well, so I was thinking if we skied down to Le Grand Bornand in the morning from Chinaillon there must be a bus from there to La Clusaz. La Clusaz doesn't seem to be holding up as well as Le Grand Bornand as far as open slopes go though.
snow conditions
The ski bus runs every half hour or so between Le Grand Bornand and La Clusaz. When we go there we often feel that the snow is better up at Chinaillon and its also quieter. However the La Clusaz slopes are more spread out so you feel you are traveling about more. The best snow at La Clusaz is up at La Balme
snow report
miranda, or anyone else in the Aravis at the moment - how are conditions bearing up?
snow report
Hi - I see someone else has started another GB/LC thread as this one's gone rather quiet, so thought I'd give it a bump.
One of our family was in the Aravis all last week & said that the pistes were still perfectly skiable. Off piste non-existant. No surprises there then. Dread to think what the season would have been like this year without those couple of heavy dumps in December Skullie
snow conditions
gvj wrote:
Hi - I see someone else has started another GB/LC thread as this one's gone rather quiet, so thought I'd give it a bump.
One of our family was in the Aravis all last week & said that the pistes were still perfectly skiable. Off piste non-existant. No surprises there then. Dread to think what the season would have been like this year without those couple of heavy dumps in December Skullie

Just got back from La Clusaz, I'd pretty much agree with this. The best skiing is up at La Balme, but the run down from Bergerie to the base is very icy. La Clusaz has a lot of snow making and the pistes are excellent considering the lack of snow. I'd say it was pretty much all man made snow except for high up at La Balme, so any runs without cannons are going to be suffering.

LGB was also holding up well on the pistes too, they clearly work very hard to make the most of the snow they have (and make). The run down to the village was actually pretty good on Saturday, if a little slushy for some people's tastes (I don't mind, but then again my skis are pretty wide so it's good fun).
snow report
Got back yesterday from a week in Le Grand Bornand. Proving yet again that it's not all about height - slope orientation is just as important. Glorious sunshine all week and the north facing pistes in the main all still holding up very well providing a week of very enjoyable skiing - the only real deterioration was on a couple of south facing slopes. Spent a day in the Evasion Mont Blanc starting at La Giettaz. Lovely drive through the Col d'Aravis, conditions slightly more variable with quite a few lower slopes towards Combloux closed (and to be honest a couple of runs were open which were nothing more than brown slush and should have been closed) but still some nice piste skiing to be had. Didn't ski in La Clusaz this time but heard from the locals that pretty much still the same as sah, said above and La Balme looked very nice on the drive through. The pisteurs are certainly doing a fantastic job of maintaining the pistes at the moment and the blue sky week, warmth and endless opportunities for stops in the sunshine to enjoy the panoramic views and a picnic wasn't a bad exchange for fresh snow, white outs, poor visibility and freezing cold. That said, new snow needed to enjoy any off piste skiing and so that the pisteurs can continue to work their magic. The forecast at the moment looks promising so fingers crossed it will arrive prior to the busiest half term weeks population of the slopes.
latest report
Hi. Is anyone out in La Clusaz at the moment and can tell me what the conditions are like. I go a week on Sunday, I know things can charge between now and then, but if things are really bad I might swap resorts. I don't want to if I'm honest but this is my one and only week this season and I want to make the most of it. It looks like its snowing on the webcams, or it could be cloud, and I understand there's going to be a few cms this week but will it be enough to replenish what's been lost over the last few weeks? Thanks in advance.
snow report
RedorDead, haven't skied in La Clusaz recently so no idea what it's like on the pistes, but can confirm that it is snowing here (15 mins drive away).
ski holidays
RedorDead, a colleague returned from La Clusaz yesterday. He said the majority of slopes were fine to good, only the very lowest are patchy, he had a great 4 days. FYI, he's French, his parent live in Annecy and he's skied in La Clusaz all his life so he knows what constitutes decent conditions for the area. I confidently predict you'll be fine.
ski holidays
Thanks Miranda and Dr John, I really appreciate you getting back to me.
ski holidays
Update from GB - good amount of new snow came on Sunday - hard to say how much as near white out at times. This morning an inch of snow to the valley floor my sister tells me. The piste back to the town was perfectly skiable on Sunday although heavy near the bottom. At least now it shouldn't look so bizarre (long white ribbon on a dull green background).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy