Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Ski For powder groomer shredding?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking at a few options and just wanted some snowheas opinions on what I should buy,

I'm going to be riding some deep poweder so I'm looking for something at least 110mm+ preferably 115mm+ at the waist, however it's charlifted and will be riding groomers to get to the powder, so will need something with a decent turning radius, preferably -20metres,
I've been Looking at
Line sir franics bacon's
Line Prophet 115's
Scott Mega Dozers
Armada JJ's
Atomic Bent Chetlers
Line ep pro's ( abit flexy and have lots of reverse rocker which I don't need as I'm not a swicth kinda guy)
Rossgnol S7.117 and S7's (which are a bit out of my league money wise but if they're the best I'll have to fork out)

The prophet's are the stiffest of the lot and also the widest, but in my size (186cm) they have a 21metre radius which I was a bit worried about,
I need something atleast 180cm's too
what are you guy's thoughts on this?
Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
k2 obsethed
Whitedot preachers
Look no further .....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's purely for powder you want the Whitedot Redeemers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
how do the k2 obsethed handle on groomers?
And those whitedot's look epic for powder but would just die on anything slightly hard Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looked at the prechers, they look sweet!!! Where sells them though?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nordica Dobermann SL-Rs

Obviously.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chazzr, they don't. Very skiable with a normal sidecut section underfoot.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I just looked up a review on the preachers, look great, nice wide tip and underfoot, good camber, the only thing that would knock my confidence is the lack of rocker, now I know I could get away with riding powder without one, but I'd feel a lot more confident and comfortable on something with rocker,
I can't find anything useful on the redeemers, if anyone's got any paperwork on them with specs and whatnot this would be helpful Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chazzr wrote:
I can't find anything useful on the redeemers,

Try this.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chazzr, http://www.whitedotfreeride.com/

Redeemers are definitely the choice if you're skiing deep powder and only using the groomers to get back to the lift.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
how did i manage this, I put whitedot into google, went on what I thought was whitedot freeride and it was some crappy advertsing site, but thanks guys I'll check it out
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the only thing that would knock my confidence is the lack of rocker, now I know I could get away with riding powder without one

THankfully you've only just taken up skiing. Imagine you'd tried to ski without...rocker ?

Heaven forbid.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not ONLY using them for getting to and from the powder, I will be doing some groomer riding aswell, not much admitedly, but I will throw in the occaisional DD run. The redeemers have no camber and a not so great radius so groomed runs are out of the question for those, the preachers however are very tasty! I like them a lot, has anyone riden them in powder? How is it riding deep powder without a rocker, that's my only fear.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chazzr wrote:
How is it riding deep powder without a rocker, that's my only fear.

What's your fear? Surely there must be a bazillion people who ski powder without using rockered skis?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been skiing for about 8 years, I only branched out into powder last year, but my equpiment seriously let me down and I'm a noob to all the powder stuff, sorry for asking for help
snow report
chazzr, the Preachers float very well. Great choice of ski if you are skiing mostly not on groomed runs.
ski holidays
ok, thanks for the help Very Happy anywhere in the U.K sells them or will they need importing from somewhere?
snow report
chazzr, PM Dot.
snow conditions
chazzr, you could also try Jon's Ski Tuning who I think is an online dealer for Whitedot Freeride.
snow report
^ PM dot? I don't catch on, and thanks I'll have a look!
latest report
You need to look at your techniqe a bit more. It is unlikely that your equipment let you down when you went off piste. Powder skiis agreed will help, but not too much. It was not that long ago that we used to ski anything with skinny race skis!
Get some instruction, then when you can manage to ski powder well with your existing skis go and spend your money and reap the benifits.
snow report
chazzr, there's a user on here called 'Dot.' who could send you in the right direction. As rob@rar says Jon will be abl eto sort you out.

Let us know if you get sorted.
ski holidays
ok thanks a lot! I've looked and Jons and he sells them for £442 which is fairly reasonable, and I will do cheers!
snow report
chazzr, hmmm...

"equipment let me down"

You know the old phrase...

Truly not being hard on you and modern kit does make it easier, but you know, one of the very best all round skiers I know buys his skis based on what's cheapest in the shop at the time.

He'll out ski most instructors I know...
snow conditions
shame he has lots of skill and I don't, maybe I will one day, but today is not that day Smile
snow report
chazzr wrote:
shame he has lots of skill and I don't, maybe I will one day, but today is not that day Smile

Think about whether a dedicated off-piste ski with a big rocker is going to be the best ski to help you develop those skills...
ski holidays
The 179 preacher is a ski I have on order and i ski k2 obsethed 169 with the 98mm waist. Fat and rocker are born out of surf and snowboard technology I would suggest, and although not necessary in my view, most definitely make it easier and will be the way of most skis in the future. Technique is what you need.
As for the k2, you can ski hard and soft bumps, hardpack, park, trees and deep powder and I just love them. I will let you know about the preachers after Ive got them, but do not expect a technical analysis. I will just let you know if the fat ones make me smile. Roll on December
ski holidays
I can ski perfectly on piste, however I struggled riding powder on my piste skis, I don't ride to say "I can ski powder on GS skis" I ride to enjoy it, and I didn't enjoy riding powder on GS ski's so want to try it on some fat powder skis which are made for it so that I enjoy it, even if I ever devolped the skills to ride powder on skinny skis, I probably wouldn't because I'd enjoy it more on fat's
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the learning process should be enjoyable...and you should always smile when youre skiing.
ski holidays
Gidday chazzr, any questions fire away. As already pointed out you can buy the Preachers through Jons Ski Tuning AKA spyderjon.
ski holidays
well, another opinion on the whole situation would be great Smile
what would you recommend? Or are the preachers what you'd recommend too?
snow report
Hi Chazzer,Ive had a demo with the s7 and they blew me away it is a ski for everything.It has a wicked turn radius for the groomers and it can handle big fast arcs and floats in the powder you cant go wrong with them,just get ready to empty your bank as soon as you demo they are addictive im just in the process of selling everything I own.
snow report
chazzr, sure, no worries, and if you have already a good piste ski, then something off piste is a fine plan. For those days...
snow report
yeah I looked at the s7's, they looked really really good the only thing putting me off was that I could get something very similar for over£100 less! have you demo's anything else similar? is it really worth that much more?
latest report
Best advise is to demo as many brands and models as posible as there are few bad skis these days. Put width and rocker at the back of your mind and demo. This winter we have demo teams in UK, Austria and France and our distributors have demos un Utah, Norway and Bulgaria.

Of our skis i'd be pushing you towards the Preacher if you were looking for a 50/50 on/off piste ski. It rips on all but boiler plate (by boiler plate i mean Mt Ruapehu blue) and has massive amount of float off (especially fun in trees)
The Redeemer would be the ski for 80% or more off piste. Slightly stiffer for a rockered ski compared to many out there as it was designed in Chamonix for varible back country conditions rather than supper dry powder. Great fun and although it has a 27m radius it pivots on a dime.
snow report
demo'ing is a problem, living where I do, the only place to demo is the ellis brigham at my local indoor slope, they have a very limited range, I demo'd some Line sir franics bacon's and loved them, but just wondered if I could find anything I'd love even more,
I also tried some K2 kung fujas and hated them, terrible ski's in my opinion, but other than that, I can't demo much else Sad
snow conditions
chazzr, If your demoing is out of the question, then from our range I'd recommend the Preachers. Keep doing your research though like you're doing as there are loads of great skis out there.
latest report
chazzer,I would love to demo the white dot gear i noticed the skis last year and from all the reviews I`ve read they are up there with the new breed of ski that can ski most conditions great without limiting its self as one or the other some people say its not possible to be good at everything but if like you,you like to ski every bit of side powder,trees and groomers there are some wicked fun skis out now.One brand that dosnt get this side of the atlantic is the on3p billy goat which is the same mould as the s7 ,jj also.A ski that I would also like to demo which is totally under the radar is the majestic skis .
ski holidays
http://www.majestyskis.com/ chazzer have a look at the superior.
ski holidays
CHECK OUT THE LUMBERJACK! shame there's no underfoot camber or that would've been a perfect ski, might still get away with DD's without camber only just?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy